m0nolith's WIP

Here is an actual update for once instead of just a finished model.

I'm working on 3 projects right now, two commissions and one personal. I'm working on six BA Interceptors for a client as well as the new Primaris Mephiston model which I absolutely love!

gallery_86352_14298_255152.jpg

On top of all of that, I'm working on my own personal Van Saar gang. Here's a photo of one of the models.

One thing is for sure, I need a better camera :D

gallery_86352_15773_886445.jpg

Edited by m0nolith

• 4 weeks later...

Gorgeous, dude. Absolutely gorgeous. 

Thanks dude :D 

Wow that looks wonderful!!

Thank you!

Amazing paint job ... he must have just come out the drop pod, as he is not is not caked in blood lol 

I didn't want to cake him in blood because I feel too much blood distracts the eyes from where I want them to go, namely in this case I wanted that to be the face, battle damage, the streaks and grime. 

Khârn is excellent, I like the weathering - the streaks especially of grime running from armour joints and studs. How did you paint it?

Hit it with gloss varnish first and then use some burnt umber oil paint with odorless white spirit to create the streak, and after it dries seal with with some type of matt varnish.

That's one lovely representation of the Eighth Captain! Blood for the Blood God! :wink:

*looks left and right for a commissar*

*whispers*

...skulls for the skull throne...

• 4 weeks later...

:jawdrop:   So good! It took me a solid 15 seconds to break out of the trance just looking at his hair put me in.

Haha! Thank you kindly :biggrin.:

Absolute masterclass! :Elite: 

The armour is simply P E R F E C T!

What are your thoughts on the wiping hand's positioning? Your's look just right, but I've heard many people complain about how it can be nightmare to position correctly.

Thanks!

Yeah the hand was a pain initially because you have to hook it around the chest cable and that can be a bit confusing, but once I figured it out it wasn't too hard to get it into place.

The blending on the robes is great. The vials have detail not lost on the further away picture which is stunning. The face and hair are excellent. Great job.

Thank you very much for the kind words :smile.:

Edited by m0nolith

It's the pose taken from some earlier art work (in the 3rd ed blood angels codex, I think)... but yeah, its not quite clear what the model is doing, in the art he looks like he's brooding.

The art can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/mg.artworks.markgibbons/photos/a.1023372761054288/1123925870998976/?type=1&theater (note, I have nothing to do with that facebook page, it just came up in my google search).

The model also comes with an arm to make him pointing a plasma pistol. 

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Considering the vampiric theme of the BA, Mephiston on that picture is most probably wiping blood from his mouth. 
Description of the miniature confirms this: "Mephiston can be assembled aiming his pistol with his right hand, or wiping his mouth on the back of his gauntlet – could he even be wiping the blood from his fangs?"

The thing with the model though is that the hand is really poorly cast and if you position it as Monolith did, it is not connecting with the shoulder (at least that was the case with mine miniature). On the other hand if you try connecting the arm with the shoulder, the hand will end up too high, creating the impression of either sneezing or that something got caught up in his eye.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. I'm working on two squads of Primaris BA Inceptors, 3 with bolters and 3 with plasma for a commission, and below is my first test model.

On top of that, work for my personal Van Saar gang is continuing. So far I have finished 7 of them and still have 3 more to go, not to mention all the extra weapons. This guy specefically has his right arm magnetized, so i can replace that plasma with whatever. Below is a preview of one of them. I plan on finishing up all of them, and then taking decent photos and putting him up here one by one while I finish their bases. I'm probably going to give them some sort of rusty base since that color works fantastically well with this type of green.

gallery_86352_14298_194873.jpg

gallery_86352_14298_765811.jpg