Today my IG (AM)....

duz_

2.000 pts vs Death Guard, eternal war mission with random value objectives.

Me:
Cadian battalion: 2ccom (warlord: Kirov's aquila; other: Relic of Cadia), 4 infantry squads, 2 basilisks, 1 astropath, 5 ratlings.
Catachan battalion: Straken, ccs with meltas, sws with plasma, priest (all embarked in Valk), infantry squad, 2 scions with plasma, tempestor prime. 2 LR, 1 Hellhound, 1 Valkyrie.
DKK+Inquisition: Death Riders commander, ccs and 2 squads. Greyfax.

Him:
Mortarion+3 termy bodyguards, 1 nurgle termy lord, 5 nurgle termies with full plasma. Chaos sorcerer with jump pack, nurgle prince. 3x6 dg marines with plasmas, 10 cultists.

He went first.

Turn 1 he advances Mortarion and deep strikes his bodyguards against my right (Cadian) flank. His sorcerer fails to cast the spell that allows morty to move again. He also fails to cast -1 hit on morty. They eat the ratlings.
He deep strikes the rest of the termies and moves the prince against my left (Catachan) flank and brings a LR down to 5w with overcharged plasma.

My shooting is very poor, rolling a lot of 1s. I manage to kill only 2 of morty's bodyguard. He is still unscratched. I only kill 1 other termy due to the whole squad being in cover (my melta vets roll 4 twos). Straken and friends assault the termies and lord from the Valkyrie.
My whole DKK cavalry force appears in his backfield, where all his dg and cultist are deployed in cover holding also the 4-Pt objective, and one squad engages a dg unit.

Turn 2
Morty double-taps and his fire almost kills my Cadian warlord and damages a basilisk. He charges an infantry squad, which disappears. He consolidates in cover of a ruined building, a few inches from the rest of my army. He also manages to get the -1 hit spell...

Straken's men get butchered. He only kills 1 termy. He survives, wounded. His prince eats my astropath.

My turn, desperate times. I activate the relic of Cadia and focus all Cadian stuff on morty, and manage to wound him. With a lasgun, obviously. It's enough for overlapping field of fire: esp. the basilisks maul him pretty badly. He finally dies when all my scions, a LR and the hellhound add their weight in.

On the left, Straken still holds but down to 1w. I jury-rig the wounded LR and bring the prince down to a couple of wounds.
My riders harass his back lines and wreak havoc. They are fantastic.

Turn 3
Not much he can do. He kills Straken, kills my warlord with the prince, and a couple of my riders.

My turn, I kill the prince, all but 1 termy, and more dg in the back.
He concedes, left with a few characters mid-field, 1 dg squad and 10 cultists about to be charged by the DKK.

observations:

The ratlings were invaluable in denying area: he could not deep strike is bodyguards too far ahead, so after turn 1 morty was alone. Relic of cadia is dirty against chaos, if I had an all-Cadian force morty could have been dead turn 1 easily. He is not a big concern however, after all. He did take a relic, 3cps, and over 1000-pt worth of fire to die though.

Straken's Valkyrie assault was fun but, apart from my horrible rolls for his fire support squads, his ap -1 is just not enough. He is ok against other armies I guess.

My flanking DKK were great. Punchy and resilient, even against plasma. He did a mistake not to overcharge his fire with the dg, and he realised he should have kept the prince behind.

Was my list unfriendly? I knew what I was going to face, and as my first time against morty and dg I was a bit concerned.

Edited by Feral_80

Feral I don't know if it's intended but you come across very antagonistic a lot of the time, especially in that last post.

If you're referring to mertbl's post he was simply saying your last want unfriendly. If you're referring to P3AKHOUR, he was referring to his mistake on the previous page regarding Ambush and Bullgryns.

Calm down.

Did some hobby chores today

Started getting ready to rebase my guard by prepping 15 new ones with astrogranite and washes. Plan is to remove models off their existing ones to prepared ones so I can strip them and repeat.

The current number should get me through a third of my scions. :D

Also got some more paint on some Mordians. Although they're still a ways off. I have about ~30 that need to be brought up to table top standard from base coat.

Oh and base coated the BB commission too!

Edited by duz_

I was able to get in a couple of games this weekend. 50 PL, my games 5 and 6. I won the first and tied the second. First game was against Xenos, I had noticed my opponent had cheated the game before with his command points. Said he was out, then used another command point to re-roll. I didn't feel it was my place to say anything at the time. When he and I played, I payed attention, and he tried to do the same thing with me and I called him on it.

Game One: 

Our objective was to kill the courier. He had placed his courier into a flying vehicle. I made sure that I knew which vehicle he placed the courier in. I surrounded my courier (a company commander) with a scion squad, and 20 Conscripts, behind a building, next to a Manticore and Pask. 

Turn 1: 

I had put Pask hidden inside a building, I have only played 5 games at this point, and have realized that Pask is a bullet magnet. First time playing with a Manticore as well and I have never had the first turn. Too many units I guess. Anyway, he flies his big flying thing in, I am thinking he is going to destroy Pask. He was more worried about the Manticore though and took it out first turn. I was aggravated, as I had never faced air support and he wrecked my plans. What he didn't account for was Pask, rocking the punisher cannon, Grinding advance, Cadian Doctrine (re-rolling 1's), hitting on 2's. Pask destroys flying thingy turn one as well. 40 shots, with 10 wounds to save. His mistake. He had moved all of his transport fliers to the middle of the map. I drop in two squads of scions, wrecking out the one holding the courier. Didn't destroy it, but got it down to 2 wounds remaining. My goal is to take out the transport and then take out his courier to win the game. 

Turn 2: 

His flying boat thing comes into DZ, wrecks my conscripts and charges a scion squad. I am a little nervous as my courier is getting exposed. Luckily I had an Infantry squad left on my right flank, that's for later though. He doesn't do much damage his turn other than taking out my cannon fodder (scrips). My turn, I poke Pask's head out from the building, making sure to move 6" or less. I lay down all 40 shots into his transport with the courier it and destroy it. My two scion squads ready to bang on them when they get out. He says, "No, my courier is in the other transport."  I am highly annoyed, but its whatever, I'm fighting plastic army men no need to get beligerent. Scions wreck out the other transport instead of getting to kill him off like I had planned. I had retreated my scions so I could shoot at the flying boat thing, then fired and charged boat with an tattered infantry squad, tie him up a bit and distract from courier. He's out of CPs now. 

Turn 3: 

He starts by charging his courier into my scions and killing off the infantry squad that had charged his flying boat thing. He tries to use his command points again for a re-roll. I call him on it and he gets mad at me. It's my turn, I retreat my scions he had charged with his courier, and move Pask into position. He conceeds. 

Game 2:

I am AM again same list. Playing Primaris Space Marines(?). His was a new list and he had lost two games before this one. We each had three objectives on our side of the board. I was trying to capture his, while he was trying to capture mine. This was a fun game, but we each made mistakes. 

Deployment: I put all 3 of my 10 man scion squads in grav shoots, use Pask, Manticore, and two infantry squads to cover two objectives that I had placed behind buildings. The third objective was on my right flank, behind a building, covered by a company commander and 20 scripts. He has some strong units covering the objectives on his flanks, and one unit of Space Marines in the middle, covering the middle objective. 

Turn 1: He comes rushing in with a unit (3) of big guys in battle suits (sorry I don't know what they were, still new). They hit like a sledge hammer and worry the crap out of me. He is going for my right flank. He gets first blood by taking out my Pask/Manticore bubble wrap. First blood to him. He ignore's Pask and can't really get to him first turn any way as Pask is hidden in a building again.

I drop two squads of scions on my right flank to give that objective more cover (a mistake). He uses a stratagem like our Superior Intelligence when the first squad drops (I was only going to drop one) and knocks out all of my lasguns! I have the meltaguns left though. This scared me, so I dropped a second Scion Squad and combined ranks. I move Pask out and rip up one of his squads, only the LT is left in the squad. He didn't realize I had grinding advance and was in shock! hehe. I decide I am going to decimate his infantry squad with the Manticore (mistake, not understanding damage). I end up getting three wounds with D3 damage on the infantry squad, elated! Until he explains to me that the damage doesn't carry over, 3 guys are just REALLY dead! lol, now I know. Scions ended up doing work on the unit of big guys, they had hit hard, but folded easily and I was surprised. Aggravated that I wasted a scion squad, but happy I did some significant damage. 

Turn 2:

He moves his central infantry squad up into cover for some reason. Leaving the central objective open. (maniacal giggle). He tries to pick on Pask, I miraculously make all saving throws. I was happy, he wasn't. He brings back a squad I had killed, moved his Warlord out into the open with a small command unit I believe, moved LT into cover with the central squad. I think his WL was wanting to take on Pask. I dropped my remaining scions on the open objective and capture it. Pask wrecks his command unit leaving the WL exposed. 

Turn 3,4,5: (I can't remember exactly what happened, but it is close to the following)

We are tied on victory points. He is giving all he has to take out Pask now. It's kind of funny. His WL shoots pask, gets 4 wounds. He destroys my central Scion squad with Hellblasters. They did what they were supposed to, so I am not too worried. I still have Pask and his WL is out in the open. He is out of shots and nothing on my side is really threatened. 

I take out his central infantry squad on my turn, his LT was the only thing left, so for shiggles I drop my last Manticore on him to make sure he is dead (mistake). Bottom of turn 5 (last turn) I sick Pask onto his WL that has 6 wounds but 2+ saves against the Punisher. Pask takes him down to 1 wound.

Nothing else is in range of his WL but Pask and he is done with the Punisher. I remember Pask still has Lascannon! One shot to win the game!. I hit, I wound, down to his saving throw...One die...he needs a 4+...50/50 chance for him to lose or tie...he rolls.......... A MFing 4!!! haha. Was very fun game!

Things I learned:

Once grinding advance punisher Pask comes out, he is a bullet magnet. Need to get an enginseer to back him up. And I need to use a different model for Warlord. 

The conscripts and infantry are hard to keep on the table, mostly because of morale. Need an Astropath to keep them from running. I guess a person can only use one spell per turn? So I need to figure out how to cheaply keep them on the table. 

Need to learn how to use my infantry in better ways. I didn't carry any heavy weapons with them. I know to use them as bubble wrap, but I need to start pushing them forward to deny some DZ coverage. 

Good to hear about your battles, and I'm glad that even if your first opponent wasn't a good sport, your second seemed like one.  What type of xenos was the first player?  Craftworld Eldar?

Also good to see you learning from your mistakes - that's probably the first step for getting better.

As for psychic powers, each model with psychic powers will say how many they can use in one turn - often its 2 powers per turn.  For matched play, you can only use the same power once per turn, except for smite.  So, yes, if you want to use an astropath to keep a unit from running, you can only do that once a turn... meaning that in matched play that strategy doesn't work very well if you plan to take multiple conscript units.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Good to hear about your battles, and I'm glad that even if your first opponent wasn't a good sport, your second seemed like one.  What type of xenos was the first player?  Craftworld Eldar?

Also good to see you learning from your mistakes - that's probably the first step for getting better.

As for psychic powers, each model with psychic powers will say how many they can use in one turn - often its 2 powers per turn.  For matched play, you can only use the same power once per turn, except for smite.  So, yes, if you want to use an astropath to keep a unit from running, you can only do that once a turn... meaning that in matched play that strategy doesn't work very well if you plan to take multiple conscript units.

Could I do multiple powers on a single unit, same turn? For example, could I cast both Psychic Barrier and Nightshroud on the same unit? 

Edited by Gibbous

As many of us know Meltaguns on Scions is pretty hot in 8th Edition. Sadly I only own 3 of the old ST:TNG rips.

GW is like, your sculps are so old we won’t sell them even as a direct order.

eBay is like, that will be $29.99 plus a screw-you on shipping.

I’m like, you are all a bunch of no class punks. Less than half an hour with a spare hotshot gunner, Dremel with a Carbide Tungsten bit, plus a little green stuff and it was all good.

http://home.earthlink.net/~databob/images/IMG_1970.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~databob/images/IMG_1969.jpg

As many of us know Meltaguns on Scions is pretty hot in 8th Edition. Sadly I only own 3 of the old ST:TNG rips.

GW is like, your sculps are so old we won’t sell them even as a direct order.

eBay is like, that will be $29.99 plus a screw-you on shipping.

I’m like, you are all a bunch of no class punks. Less than half an hour with a spare hotshot gunner, Dremel with a Carbide Tungsten bit, plus a little green stuff and it was all good.

Apparently only grenade launchers are plentiful for these models, and they're still $29.99 + "Screw You Shipping". :down:

I have pretty much given up ever finding the lesser-spotted plasmagun models for anything less than a mortgage payment, and so have the exact same solution as you! :happy.:

• 2 weeks later...

Had a couple of open war games on the weekend.

First was a 2v2 against some pointy ear xenos. It was a glorious death for the Emperor we certainly bought enough time for the remaining threat to be obliterated from the skies! :wink:
The xenos had both hammer and anvil deployment zones (15") and we had the centre 18". On top of that it was -1 to hit as the acid rain never stopped all game and their ruse was army wide fearless ... oh and there was minimal cover in the centre. We went down swinging bullgryns, lord commissars and hellhound were all stars unfortunately not enough to stop their shenanigans.

My second game was against space clowns and my opponents first match with them. I took my tournament list again because I dont consider it absurdly overpowered and its fun. I ended up tabling him T4 mainly due to poor tactical decisions he made and the amount of firepower Mordians can put out on overwatch! :biggrin.: the look on his face when I popped the defensive gunners stratagem on my wyvren was worth the CP alone (which I also got back). The grenadier one was great too!

Speaking of which the WL trait + relic for reclaiming CPs is awesome. I farmed so many both games it was somewhat comical and frustrating for my opponents. :biggrin.:

Edited by duz_

I played against a mate's Primaris Ultramarines on the weekend. 1500 pts, whatever mission it is where each player has an objective that their opponent has to control by the end of the game for 3 VP.  My friend was play-testing Ultramarines, so was actually using his Imperial Fists as proxy, to see whether he wants to get into them (on top of his existing Necron, Eldar, Dark Eldar and Tyranid armies). 

It took a whole extra turn for me to table him this time, compared to my fight against his Dark Eldar a few weeks ago.  I also ended up with slay the warlord, linebreaker and first blood.  He's a more experienced player than me by a long shot but this was his first time playing this army so I guess that explains a lot of it, I also had some lucky rolls. 

MVP was my Vendetta taking 12 wounds off a Land Raider in the opening round of shooting, my Manticore finished it before it could put a wound on me.  Bullgryns died gloriously against his terminators (those things seem like hard counter for bulls with their damage output).  I also lost an entire Scion plasma command squad to his terminator's auspex scan stratagem as soon as their boots hit the ground. Nasty.  I brought 2 LR Exterminators which were quite good against Primaris marines.  My Demolisher 1-shotted his Librarian warlord towards the end of the game.  My ambush stratagem worked really well again, it's made for scenarios like this.  This time I put a demolisher, Company Commander and melta command squad on his back line. 

Really the only strength I could see with Ultramarines was the huge amount of CP they bought, and could regenerate.  That may change though as my opponent gets more used to his army. 

I don't feel my list was cheesey at all, but it really felt like I bulldozed him, especially given how much of a relative novice I still am.  Im certainly not under the impression it's my (nonexistent) tactical genius that has me tabling opponents. Tallarn in 8th really seems like a cheap, flexible, ultra-mobile force to be reckoned with.

Edited by P3AKHOUR

• 1 month later...

Been puttering around working on my metal Ogryns. Have a couple of games this weekend where I intend to give them a spin alongside my Plasmacution vet squad (and bullgryns of course! ;) )

gallery_87434_11578_155988.jpg

Meanwhile a little servo skull whispered to me something about an IG hobby event that's about to drop. ;)