Today my IG (AM)....

duz_

The red dot on the map looks like an orbital bombardment targeting laser slowly making it's way to your Commissar...

I've got a game today against a friend getting back into the game. Carcharodons. I'll forge pictures since it'll be unpainted models fighting around piles of books and coffee mugs but a game's a game!

WIP thread will be up soon, Currently working on a proper gaming table so model painting on hold. At least they're all undercoated...

Won my game!

Used my freshly converted Primaris Psyker! First turn, Psychic barrier, rolled snake eyes, 3 Mortal wounds, Commissar shot her in the head... So lesson learned there would be roll better dice.

LR Demolisher spent the whole game firing at a Chaplain in Terminator armour who kept making his invulnerable saves. Lesson learnt: Pray your opponent makes worse saves! Pasks BS would have been well worth the points, then a wingman to make use of one of his orders.

My Autocannon HWS killed a Dreadnaught in two turns of shooting without orders. The odds of that are pretty huge really but they did pretty well until they were shot at. Still squishy but cheap. Happy with them out of my Infantry squads who were surprisingly mobile without heavy weapons.

Company Commander kicked all kinds of ass with his power sword. That was a surprise. Orders obviously useful.

Wyvern is still good, but killed one or two marines a turn rather than the 4 or 5 it would have killed in 7th. I felt much less guilty using it.

My Command Squad died. That was all they did. They're such an obvious target. My friend asked what my banner did, I told him, and a few Heavy Bolters later they were gone. Not sure how to fix that really...

I used to dabble in 40k like a decade ago, but I'm looking to come back big. So today, I'm wrestling with a decision. Do I put most of my early focus into a Scions heavy army, or commit to some Elysians instead?

The theme I want is achievable both ways, but I love what I've seen of the Elysians. I'm concerned local players will be against FW, and that'll limit my army to a pretty but useless set of models. Anybody else have a similar experience?

I think most people are wary of Forgeworld because some of their units tend to be flat out better than the GW alternatives. With the Forgeword armies though, this seems to be less of a problem. Elysians are limited on what they can take so you're sacrificing the use of some very good units in order to use the Elysian rules. That seems balanced so should be ok. The fact that it's a bit different is always good for the opposing player as well!

So putting a Vulture in an Elysian army is ok, because you're not taking heavy artillery, Leman Russ Tanks etc. Sticking a Vulture in a normal Guard army might cause consternation because it's just plain better than similar non-Forgeworld options and there's no downside to taking it.

As far as the models go I think there is some concern about the age of the moulds? I'm not sure about that though.

They can't really "Be against" Forgeworld anymore that's a stigma that seriously needs to die. Forgeworld rules are just as legit as GW rules. But if that is an issue then I'd say 1) Get new people to play with. 2) Your models will look better than everyone else's. Or sadly 3) Play Scions and make your opponents cry that they should have let you play Elysians. Scions are seriously a powerhouse this edition bordering on OP.

Regardless welcome to the fold brother. From the sky's we come Emperor protects

Krash

Edited by Captain_Krash

They can't really "Be against" Forgeworld anymore that's a stigma that seriously needs to die. Forgeworld rules are just as legit as GW rules. But if that is an issue then I'd say 1) Get new people to play with. 2) Your models will look better than everyone else's. Or sadly 3) Play Scions and make your opponents cry that they should have let you play Elysians. Scions are seriously a powerhouse this edition bordering on OP.

Krash

1) Easier said than done. Would actually be easier for me to uproot my life and move somewhere where FW is valued and accepted than to get a whole bunch of new people involved. The stigma exists for a reason, though - FW units are often better at a huge premium, and that's got the ugly pay to win connotation.

2) Suppose that's true, and they'll be the nicest guardsmen ever.

3) I guess I could do both since they're both Imperium...Scions in Taurox Primes to start on the board early and drop the Elysians in where needed most...

Krash

1) Easier said than done. Would actually be easier for me to uproot my life and move somewhere where FW is valued and accepted than to get a whole bunch of new people involved. The stigma exists for a reason, though - FW units are often better at a huge premium, and that's got the ugly pay to win connotation.

3) I guess I could do both since they're both Imperium...Scions in Taurox Primes to start on the board early and drop the Elysians in where needed most...

I think the Vulture is gonna get a lot of hate from most people. Too bad since it fits well with your Elysian army. You might find units like Vendettas are accepted since they originally were regular GW.

I'm looking forward to running a Destroyer Tank Hunter regularly in this edition over a Vanquisher in some cases.

Today I spent most of the day searching for a lost piece to this darn old school Leman Russ... ended up having to plastic-card / random-bit fill the spot.

Just found the missing piece, glued to my shorts.

Bahaha! Always the last place you look too! At least you were wearing shorts! :ermm:

Today (Yesterday really) my Guard CRUSHED a Flesh Tearers army.

Some deep striking Assault Marines got a turn one charge off on an Infantry squad and destroyed it (just), but the other squads locked in combat after a consolidate just fell back, were ordered to get back in the fight and with Yarrick re-rolls did the Emperor proud.

Pask in a Demolisher with a paired LR Executioner moved up first turn screened by some Vets (men of the match, didn't kill much but just wouldn't die. this was due to lucky dice rolls though) and proceeded to take out a Baal Predator before it reached my lines, then a Dreadnaught, Rhino and mauled a Tactical squad and Librarian. Very anti-tank and elite infantry now, especially the Plasma cannons which are safeish to overcharge when re-rolling 1's to hit.

Scions were disappointing but that's my fault for putting them in the wrong place... Rough Riders came on, got a charge off straight away but hit like wet tissue paper (again due to really poor rolls, the lances should be devastating on the charge).

The whole army seemed strong. the last time I played these Flesh Tearers in 7th I won by having the relic, but only had two Guardsmen left at the end of the game!

Finished magnetizing my Bullgryns. :)

Took a bit of green stuff and sprues to set the magnets but for the most part went well. Shoulders were the trickiest part because they're awkwardly hollow inside and the joints aren't flat either. I learnt on the first one how to place the magnets and the other two were easier.

Now to get some primer to coat these guys and the recently stripped Cadians. Im thinking maybe some cheap P3 stuff for the Cadians and nice GW stuff for the rest. Save them dollars. ;)

gallery_87434_11578_113299.gif

Edited by duz_

Today I finally got around to starting my Krieg command squad.

I got myself an airbrush recently but I've been so busy the past 6 or 7 weeks with my business I haven't had chance to test it out.

http://i.imgur.com/SF1LP4V.jpg

Took this image literally just after slapping the washes on and basecoats, got lots of layers to apply still.

I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with this colour scheme, I've got the Vallejo german army grey set coming today so I might paint up another Krieg soldier to see if I like it.

This happened:

http://pre06.deviantart.net/2896/th/pre/i/2017/190/4/f/guilliman_vs_storm_trooper_captain_by_alkaidwolfie-dbfnsih.jpg

Basically Guilliman swept through my army (rerolling lascannons are mean), but at least my Captain killed him, and permanently, since he failed the resurrect roll and could not use another reroll.

*Edit:Explaining at bit better - he had one wound left after so much shooting at him. I charged because seriously, that was my only option left to take the LAST wound. But fortunaly, her power weapon (clearly not modeled yet), managed to wound him twice. He failed both saves, and his Warlord trait protected him from one (a 6), but he died.

Ran

Edited by Ranwulf

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.  There is a heavy bolter mounting?  Turns out it's been a while since I bought a chimera - mine come from a time before they had such accessories.

Now, if you'll pardon me a second for me to yell at some kids to get off my lawn. :P

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui

It's a veritable cornucopia of IG(AM) hullaballoo!

My DKoK models are about 90% done, and have used them so far in 8th. Turn 3 victory vs Orks. To be fair, I had more time to prepare, my next fight with the greens will be brutal. 

I've got tons of old AM armor pieces I bought last edition on the cheap off of some friends who were tired of losing. Joke is on them, I'm always down to lose! Anyhow, 6 or so LR's, 6 Chimera, a few manticores, two earthshaker, anyhow... I've got a lot of work ahead of me (for the AM side). 

AM infantry: When I play as AM, i just use my DKoK "counts as" IG, but I use Cadian models for conscripts. I've got about 120 of those jerks assembled, and primed... 30 more to build. I'm dying to try out the 3 full conscript squads in this edition, hah! 

I'll see about getting some pictures up, hopefully I can use this thread as inspiration to get active.

Krash

Just use your FW models as "Counts as" for any other IG when dealing with people who are "Anti FW". Eventually they'll figure out there's not much difference. TBH codex AM is fairly strong so far, I feel like I could make a much nastier list without the FW codexes. 

It's a veritable cornucopia of IG(AM) hullaballoo!

My DKoK models are about 90% done, and have used them so far in 8th. Turn 3 victory vs Orks. To be fair, I had more time to prepare, my next fight with the greens will be brutal.

I've got tons of old AM armor pieces I bought last edition on the cheap off of some friends who were tired of losing. Joke is on them, I'm always down to lose! Anyhow, 6 or so LR's, 6 Chimera, a few manticores, two earthshaker, anyhow... I've got a lot of work ahead of me (for the AM side).

AM infantry: When I play as AM, i just use my DKoK "counts as" IG, but I use Cadian models for conscripts. I've got about 120 of those jerks assembled, and primed... 30 more to build. I'm dying to try out the 3 full conscript squads in this edition, hah!

I'll see about getting some pictures up, hopefully I can use this thread as inspiration to get active.

Nice score on the tanks! :tu:

Glad this thread can inspire. Looking forward to seeing some pics. Especially any batreps against those filthy green skins! :D

Remember B&C gallery is free and easy to use. ;)

Ha yeah it's the plate for the HB, the multilaser and HF have a more generic plate.

I had an older chimera kit too so I had to bit-order a new style turret.

Can those HBs be put back or they were damaged irreversably when you removed them? I wonder if it is possible to magnetise the mounting to change HB to AC and back.

Ha yeah it's the plate for the HB, the multilaser and HF have a more generic plate.

I had an older chimera kit too so I had to bit-order a new style turret.

Can those HBs be put back or they were damaged irreversably when you removed them? I wonder if it is possible to magnetise the mounting to change HB to AC and back.
It would've been very easy to make the weapons interchangeable, but I reasoned that if I ever want a HB I'll use the Gryphonne twin HB instead (a different conversion) so I just glued mine. I also noticed that it would be fairly easy to cut the HB piece to fit the other plate, so I could swap it out with the HF and ML guns if I really want just the single HB. Edited by Chaplain Gunzhard