Rob451's New Deathwatch Plog - Captain Artemis WIP

Rob451

Fantastic work.  For the power sword, did you just glaze blues over the metal area or did you layer it up with mixed paint?

I did it with an airbrush but you can do it just as easily with glazes it just takes a lot longer.

Well this was bound to happen eventually...

I broke my own rule about never gluing heads to models when I built Captain Artemis and glued him together even though his head was molded to part of his body and would therefore be a nightmare to paint (those high collars don't help).

After several attempts to try and paint his face to a point I was satisfied with I got so frustrated that he got pitched into a jar full of Biostrip 20, cleaned of all paint and relieved of his head via some clippers and a suitably large drill bit.

I've found a replacement from the Veterans sprue which looks almost exactly like him except for one ear and the lack of cybernetics on his forehead. It only took me a couple of hours to get him to the point he was last at in pictures so I've not lost too much work but I'd much rather be able to paint his head separately as this way I can mess up and strip it as often as required (I do this a lot with heads).

Let this be a lesson to you: Never glue your heads to your models before painting them even if the head is attached to some other part of the model.

Wow. That's tough. I did paint heads on bodies, but it certainly is easier to leave them off... especially with the new MK7.

I have super bad depth perception which makes painting small details really hard. Most of the time I rely on using the edge of the brush rather than the tip and the fact that most GW models have really well defined edges but when it comes to faces I'll often end up miss-judging how close the tip of my brush is to the surface and... SPLOTCH! There goes my paint job.

Pics like these are the ones i love wub.png look at all that potential there laugh.png ,I find i'm loving painting the newer GW heads,as you said, they are really well defined nowadays and are a real treat to paint...when it works out right tongue.png

The one you have on the Far left, i have saved that one(with an added topknot)as a white scar Vet cool.png

May i ask what was the base layer you used...that is if this is just a base and a wash? with at least one highlight?... or am i way offohmy.png

med_gallery_70367_12386_1258996.jpg

Cheers Mithril

p.s. makes me want to go home right now and start painting some more marine heads biggrin.png

It's a little more complicated than that...

All done with an airbrush unless otherwise stated.

Prime black.

Base coat of VMA US Flat Brown.

Zenithal highlight (around 45 degrees) with a mix of white and Reikland Fleshshade (it's a very light pink).

Zenithal highlight (about 30 degrees) with pure white.

Carefully apply a wash of Reikland Fleshshade with a brush making sure it doesn't pool too much on baldies.

Once The wash is completely dry Zenithal highlight from directly above with very thin white.

Lastly thin some Reikland Fleshshade with Lahmian Medium to make a glaze and apply over the entire head with a soft brush to tint the skin back to a subtle flesh colour.

It's a little more complicated than that...

All done with an airbrush unless otherwise stated.

Prime black.

Base coat of VMA US Flat Brown.

Zenithal highlight (around 45 degrees) with a mix of white and Reikland Fleshshade (it's a very light pink).

Zenithal highlight (about 30 degrees) with pure white.

Carefully apply a wash of Reikland Fleshshade with a brush making sure it doesn't pool too much on baldies.

Once The wash is completely dry Zenithal highlight from directly above with very thin white.

Lastly thin some Reikland Fleshshade with Lahmian Medium to make a glaze and apply over the entire head with a soft brush to tint the skin back to a subtle flesh colour.

Troops.gif .......eek.gif .... no airbrush, gotta do it the hard way...

Mithril

You and me both mithrilforge. 

I think its time for me to take painting to the next level, and get my self an airbrush. Just thinking of it makes me all giggly. Just think of the mass production I can do. 

But on to topic. Those heads look amazing. Do you have a lot of experience with an airbrush, or is it one of the more basic techniques one could learn fairly fast?

I think its time for me to take painting to the next level, and get my self an airbrush. Just thinking of it makes me all giggly. Just think of the mass production I can do. 

But on to topic. Those heads look amazing. Do you have a lot of experience with an airbrush, or is it one of the more basic techniques one could learn fairly fast?

I've been using an airbrush for about 4 years now however base coating and zenithal highlighting is one of the easiest techniques to pick up for a beginner and incredibly useful for speed painting Space Marines.

I've been using an airbrush for about 4 years now however base coating and zenithal highlighting is one of the easiest techniques to pick up for a beginner and incredibly useful for speed painting Space Marines.

Thats exactly what I want to hear :) Speed painting is in my blood :)

I'll look into some airbrushes and compressors after new year. 

Today is a historic moment. I've finally finished assembling infantry!

No pictures right now but the final count looks like this:

HQs

1x Watch Captain Artemis

1x Terminator Watch Captain w/Relic Blade

1x Watch Captain w/Xenophase Blade (Krom Dragongaze conversion)

1x Terminator Librarian w/Force Axe

3x Librarians (2 Kit bash 1 from Overkill)

1x Chaplain Cassius (Overkill)

Troops

10x Bolter Veteran (3 Overkill)

5x Combi-Melta Veteran (1 Overkill)

5x Stalker Veteran

4x Shotgun Veteran

1x Blackshield w/Bolter & Power Sword

3x Frag Cannon (1 Overkill)

2x Infernus Heavy Bolter

Elites 

1x Venerable Dreadnought (All options magnetised)

1x Terminator w/Thunder Hammer & SS

1x Terminator w/Dual Lightning Claws

1x Terminator w/Assault Cannon & PFist

1x Terminator w/Assault Cannon & ChainFist

1x Terminator w/Storm Bolter, PFist & CML

1x Terminator w/Heavy Flamer, PFist & Aux Melta Gun

1x Vanguard w/Grav Pistol & Power Maul

2x Vanguard w/Power Maul & SS

2x Vanguard w/Heavy Thunder Hammer

1x Vanguard w/Chainsword & Hand Flamer (Overkill)

1x Vanguard w/Dual Lightning Claws (Overkill)

Fast Attack

2x Biker w/Power Weapon (1 Overkill, 1 Dark Vengeance)

1x Biker w/Teleport Homer

55 models covering everything I will ever realistically field in a game. It's 13 less models than my Space Wolves, 25(ish) less models than my Orks and is about 1000 more points than either of those armies. The only Army I have that doesn't outnumber them in Infantry is my Guard and that's only because it's an Armoured Company.

Archived