[HH1.0] Legio Custodes Tactica

Charlo

I hope that Sanguinius can really fly.

He will be a FMC for sure, but interestingly enough I can't recall a single instance in the books where he uses a ranged weapon. I guess you could vector strike stuff?

So Vector Strike, can only be Snap Shot at, and can go into Ongoing Reserves? Sounds a lot like a Primarch we already have :tongue.:

I think it would be more fun if his go into reserves rules involved being able to deep strike on the table with the impact of a dreadclaw.  He's always waving that flaming sword of his, may as well give it some cool rules.

But only the best for the Emperor's Finest, right?

As-is, definitely going to build some as the shield bros. They'll be great for ZM until the full Talons of the Emperor list hits.

If only it was the best for them. These definitely feel like they approached their rules from a game perspective first. *cough* phoenix spears *cough*.

And yeah, as-is only in ZM could they really work. Otherwise they're hoofin' it. And you don't want to hoof it as a CC unit in this game...

I'm sure they'll get hover rhinos, too famous not to. Not sure if they will be assault though. I reckon there will be an assault transport. Halfway inbetween a rhino and land raider. Lower AV but hover tank. Until then though...

Well I will have 15 Custodes.

But I need some Transports tbh before I can use them.

Need to make a Loyalist legion tho.

no you dont.

full talons of the emperor army man.

because you have to be that little bit better than all the others.

Lol. Well still a long way off from starting them .

For now I need to keep going on my Alpha Legion. Cause I need to humble a dude.

The Custodes are in a severe need of an assault transport. As of now I see the 40k version as much more playable thanks to deep strike, eternal warrior as well as being able to mix shields and spears. Especially in the S10 intensive environment that is 30k. Hopefully the Talons of the Emperor delivers upon that!

The models are bloody glorious and I've already bought several squads however, so I'll be building a force no matter what. Here's for hoping we see more TotE rules during the open day!

I wouldnt be surprised if they had Ap2 Weapon Options in their full Wargear list when inferno drops out. I mean, obviously, they'd have Bolter-Thunder Hammers or something, right?

Bolt-Hammers would be pretty freakin metal...

Edit: Volkite-Hammers would be even more metallerrrrrr and totally Thor.

Edited by depthcharge12

Having tried out a pure Custodes list in an 1000pt Zone Mortalis game yesterday vs Fists, I have to say that so far they seem...underwhelming. I took a 5 man Sentinel Squad in HQ and two 6 man Custodes squads for troops (not a legal list technically I know, but I wanted to give it a go) and the biggest take-away was that they just aren't quick enough to get where they need to be without taking considerable punishment along the way.

The Sentinels were okay, and those shields really do help with survivability once they reach CC. But against elite troops like Terminators your average, expensive Custodian squad is far too reliant on getting the charge, and they aren't mobile enough to get said charge with any degree of reliability. Furthermore, unlucky but by no means impossible rolls can leave them somewhat stuck the turn after. One of my spear squads managed to hit a unit of 5 TH/SS Terminators at full strength and impressively knock down 4 of them but they just didn't have enough attacks to finish the job. The Terminators passed their Leadership check, and the next round I returned to impotently whacking at them as Fist reinforcements arrived.

They're a unit that excels at blending power armour, in a game that's already well-stocked with methods for blending power armour. They're in dire, desperate need of some kind of assault transport, or Deep Strike, or...anything. I'm still shocked they don't even have Stubborn, because as we all know a bunch of Cultists hopped up on that sweet, sweet Chaos are braver than the Emperor's hand-picked bodyguard. I don't want to be too negative and I'll happily wait for the full TotE list before passing judgement, but so far I'm disappointed, to say the least. 

I'm still shocked they don't even have Stubborn, because as we all know a bunch of Cultists hopped up on that sweet, sweet Chaos are braver than the Emperor's hand-picked bodyguard.

Yeah this is the concerning thing. The fact that levvies have rending too is just really annoying.

I think we'll see some better versions of the AP2 spear where it will be all the time on an elite unit - probably with a laser weapon too ;)

We also don't have anything past the bare-bones squads. No banner upgrade, possibly no Legions Astartes style rule (unless that's Sodality and Invioable Psyche), no synergy, no characters. It'd be like having the choice of 2 different terminator units vs a massive list building device. In fact it its exactly that.

Speaking of Sodality; I think using Custodes in a Zone Mortalis game is exactly the wrong place for them. They're a squad of individuals, where their current strength is dispersing wounds efficiently. 3" coherency means you hit one per blast (unless you get a garbage scatter with a small or an optimal one with a large for 0 and 2 hits respectively), while them being all characters brings you back to early 6th where every Nob and Paladin squad was walking around with 1 wound models but still at full strength. The extended coherency also gives a larger threat footprint compared to any other infantry unit.

Zone Mortalis crams everything into a really confined space, where blasts really don't scatter and get buffed (both by space constraints and rerolls), pathing is very much defined so you can threaten exactly as much as a terminator squad, and cover is very sparse. They don't have high strength so doors and dreadnoughts are pretty deadly, high impact shooting really hurts since they're very elite and boarding shield dudes are very popular so their 2 attacks base really start to become noticeable.

Idk, maybe FW went in too cautious of making them OP, but I think they have a lot of hidden potential out of using the character rule and Sodality properly. And of course prompt delivery. 

I really am starting to think that the lack of ap 2 will be their ultimate downfall. Granted ap2 all the time would be a bit much, but still...

Obviously, we can't say much until their main list comes out, but even just rending on the spears all the time, like the swords would be a balancing factor I think, and stops second round combat impotence versus the high value targets custodes should compete with.

I do hope for an actual hover-raider. I mean if the Dark Angels have its specifically mentioned in their books that their legion has some, then the emperer should darn well have them for his bodyguard.

The tank is going to be the bane of Anything with mutiple wounds and no access to Eternal Warrior.

Being a skimmer, can it shoot at flyers normally or does it still only snapshoot? Indont use the things so I'm not sure on it.

Still, BS5 Twin-Linked guns of literal death are only held in check my relatively low RoF and decently high cost of the tank.

Looking at the other tank, I'm expecting the same base chassis, transport capacity of ten instead of main weapon and then a twin linked assault cannon with an additional rule.

That speeder is smaller, no way it can fit 2, let alone 10, unless it has necron hammerspace tech. Definitely an attack speeder.

Its great at killing javelins, which is great because they're one of the most overpowered units in the game currently 

And yet not so widespread that they're literally in every list.

The tanks will probably find more use killing Flyers and Mechanicum MC's. I also get the feeling that, since it can deepstrike, it'll be pretty good at taking down some Super-Heavies with weaker rear armour with its S7 and Effectively-Ap-1 main gun.

Its great at killing javelins, which is great because they're one of the most overpowered units in the game currently 

And yet not so widespread that they're literally in every list.

The tanks will probably find more use killing Flyers and Mechanicum MC's. I also get the feeling that, since it can deepstrike, it'll be pretty good at taking down some Super-Heavies with weaker rear armour with its S7 and Effectively-Ap-1 main gun.

Yeah I don't see widespread javelins. They're good, but still AV11 HP2 that need to jink or die. Automata on the other hand are a tough nut to crack. Being bale to gib them is huge.

Also is there a clearer pic? Or a transcribed version? I can't make out some of it.