WarriorFish's Slaaneshi Daemons

WarriorFish

I've played one game, against orks, and found that daemonettes are seriously unimpressive but that the Syl'Essthe (or whatever the name - the prince/herald character) won the game for me - he can take out whole units by himself and munch characters.  Basically, he was the whole reason I won that game, essentially killing about 60 orks and the warboss while my 60 daemonettes did little but be a tarpit to allow the character to work on one unit at a time.

As well, daemon's strategems are mostly in the fight phase, so if you can get stuck in you can limit home much the enemy can fight back, for example.

Still, they seem awfully fragile - for example, you have to be very choosy who you charge as any significant overwatch will melt units.  For example, don't charge chariots into any unit that does multiple damage - at only 6 wounds, its very easy to killed by overwatch fire.

Now, my other frequent opponent is Necrons... and I don't expect I'll do as well against them - far too shooty and mobile.

Thanks Rumi, unfortunately that's what I expected to hear :( I will be starting with using them as allies to my CSM - not exactly tourney winning but should help out. With any luck some love can be sent Daemonic ways soon - 8th is not the edition to have no guns...

I'm hoping that with enough numbers, and some Seekers and Fiends to close in I can buy time. Sadly the Keeper will likely tank all the AT fire and die quickly, but maybe that buys time for the rest of the army..? :P

Miniwargamings Beato the Vito put up some nice Slaanesh Reports on Youtube lately:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLliZQodsai-hcELT4_C9nCbBgp66O5v6Q

Not very competative, but it is something.

I will have my first game using the new KoS (Zarakynel model finally finsihed) this month and I am tempted to buy a second one as a Christmas present to myself to build Shalaxi. In the End I want 3, hoping that one will make it into CC :biggrin.:

The problem with the Greater Daemons is that there is no other viable target for anti tank weapons in our book. Everything else can be killed more or less efficient by just Bolter fire. A few mid sized Daemons (T7; 12 wounds; 4+ save or better) ~120 points as distraction would help.

Are there a non-video versions/details? I don't have much time to sink into videos and don't really like the format either :confused:

I agree some mid-level daemons akin to vehicles would be helpful, the ranges would certainly like some additions (as would GW's profits :P ). I keep thinking about the Soul Grinder as a pretty nice model, albeit rather large, to help the KoS out a bit but I know little about it. I will check the codex...

• 2 weeks later...

Fellow warp based entities I have some news! Ok, more of a development? I have decided to focus on my Daemons once my decks are clear! By that I mean not the "top" army in my smorgasbord of active projects as mentioned but rather the main dish. I will have other projects to keep things fresh but these will be featured as the breaks from my Daemons :smile.:

I realised that I wanted to get my KoS going, so how rubbish the rules are isn't that much of a concern :laugh.: Plus BCC is collecting some perfidious Eldar, so we figured it'd be cool to aim to get them on the table top next year :biggrin.:

First things first (let's do things properly for once) that means assembling lining a lot of Daemonettes. Then I'll need to split some off to convert and kitbash some Alluress, icon and musician models. I have some bits to get started here so I'll see how it goes...

• 4 weeks later...

Right let's make this more official. These are the models I have fetched from stowage:

• The Masque
  • Herald of Slaanesh (likely to be used for bits)
  • Infernal Enrapturess
  • Keeper of Secrets
  • 3 Fiends
  • 10 Seekers
  • 30 Daemonettes

I have got some extra bits to make musicians and icons (though I don't expect to be using many icons but we'll see). So this means I'm ready to go as soon as I finish my current project which is all going well this weekend :smile.: I also have some ideas for minor changes to the KoS so there's some meat to be had rather than just assembly and painting, so progress may be slow!

My goal is a 1000pts army, but aiming to achieve 1500pts once I have a better idea of lists and units etc as I expect I'll need to shuffle things around after games (and need to absorb the CA2019 changes first). I'll probably get another box of Fiends as I like them and want to use them which should help here.

I will be dipping into my CSM and perhaps other armies as I go as breaks to keep fresh and motivated, but that should work out nicely as my Daemons will no doubt grace the table in proper form alongside my Chaos Marines for the first time. Wish me luck :thumbsup:

I've played around with an end goal list:

Hidden Content
++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Daemons) [1CP, 198pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Chaos Allegiance: Slaanesh

Detachment CP [1CP]

+ HQ +

Herald of Slaanesh [50pts]: Delightful Agonies

Infernal Enrapturess [70pts]

The Masque of Slaanesh [78pts]

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Daemons) [7CP, 1,297pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Chaos Allegiance: Slaanesh

Detachment CP [5CP]

Rewards of Chaos (1 Relic) [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince of Chaos [165pts]: Malefic talon, The Forbidden Gem, Wings
Slaanesh: Cacophonic Choir

Keeper of Secrets [210pts]: Bewitching Aura, Hysterical Frenzy, Sinistrous hand, Soulstealer, Symphony of Pain, Warlord

+ Troops +

Daemonettes [76pts]: Alluress, 10x Daemonette, Instrument of Chaos

+ Elites +

Fiends [111pts]: Blissbringer, 2x Fiend

Fiends [111pts]: Blissbringer, 2x Fiend

+ Fast Attack +

Seekers [160pts]: Heartseeker, Instrument of Chaos, 9x Seeker

Seekers [160pts]: Heartseeker, Instrument of Chaos, 9x Seeker

Making a 1000pts list will be easy from this so I thought it made sense to get the larger plan down. I should have all the models required :smile.:

My final project is completed now, so that means clear decks - and daemon time! :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_10249_58108.jpg

I'd prefer to start with Daemonettes as a core choice (and as a better way to build an army) but without any superglue I have to wait. So as I'll need them and I don't want to waste time I've started on some plastic models in the Fiends. Really nice models but pretty fiddly to build, I just need to spruce their bases up a little and I'll be set to prime them :smile.:

I might see about an HQ choice too, make the priming do more but I'll see how it goes tomorrow. I might try to have only the one project ongoing, see how that feels :tongue.:

My final project is completed now, so that means clear decks - and daemon time! :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_10249_58108.jpg

I'd prefer to start with Daemonettes as a core choice (and as a better way to build an army) but without any superglue I have to wait. So as I'll need them and I don't want to waste time I've started on some plastic models in the Fiends. Really nice models but pretty fiddly to build, I just need to spruce their bases up a little and I'll be set to prime them :smile.:

I might see about an HQ choice too, make the priming do more but I'll see how it goes tomorrow. I might try to have only the one project ongoing, see how that feels :tongue.:

Woo! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your demons. Are the rest of the demonettes the Diaz sculpts?

Thanks Trawling, yes I have the Diaz Daemonettes and Seekers :smile.: Once you have them you can't accept anything else :tongue.:

It's why I need to be a bit picky about additions as I don't want them to be too different. Fortunately the newer models are better here as they're less chunky and much more dynamic (one of the main things I dislike about the plastic Daemonette box). I decided to do what I can to make the Infernal Enrapturess match and it turned out well:

gallery_30308_10249_58262.jpg

Certainly was a new experience for sculpting GS :laugh.: It came out nicely even if the arm does mostly cover the work in the final model:

gallery_30308_10249_21374.jpg

I think I'll keep them off their base for painting, otherwise it'll be a nightmare to get everywhere and then to base under the cape. I'll see how I can get the base done nicely to fit later, can always tile most of the base for a smooth fit? Not to get too carried away with piling up projects (again) I also completed the bases and primed the Fiends:

gallery_30308_10249_70956.jpg

I'm still mulling over the skin tone for the bestial daemons. Something to make them a bit different might be best (especially for the Seekers?) but I'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work I'm thinking of trying a purple wash, any suggestions or ideas welcome :smile.:

I'll be good after these; no more assembly until I've finished the Fiends. Perhaps just as well because as nice as these new models are they're particularly finicky to assemble! I hope to get some new superglue soon, but I have an idea to rescue my current glue that I'll try to get at least some Daemonettes assembled...

I'm concentrating on the single Fiend for now, to get the scheme working on them:

gallery_30308_10249_30813.jpg

I wasn't sure how it'd work especially with how the new models seem to meld fabric to legs but I think it works nicely :smile.: As with the Daemonettes it should round off once I get the purple armour bits and various other colours from the details :thumbsup: Work should resume on the weekend where I expect to complete this model ready to start on the other two.

Or should I say other five... I got another box :laugh.:

Finally completed the first test Fiend, turns out the colour scheme was straight forward enough to adapt:

gallery_30308_10249_234527.jpg

I may return to the back spines later to make these white, I wasn't sure if it might be a bit too much I'll have a better idea once the squad is done :thumbsup: I missed the gloss on the eyes since applied, otherwise it's just the water that needs addressing. I'm not sure what happened, probably some reaction to drying paint? Removing it might be too risky so perhaps painting over is an alternative?

gallery_30308_10249_45898.jpg

A scale shot of all completed daemon types (Daemon Prince aside), you forget how big the Fiends are they take a little while to do. Fortunately I've got the scheme sorted so the next two will be a bit quicker :smile.:

They look great, WF - you did a really good job in porting over the colour scheme from your other models to the fiends.  Personally, I would do the back spines white as well - you could try it for the "sergeant" squad upgrade model to differentiate it and then decide whether you wish to carry it onto the other models.  Do you intend to pick out the groves in the shoulder pad or leave them as is?

My own fiends are high up in my paint queue (they are one of the few models I already have primed) - so we should be able to compare ours shortly. :)

Thanks Rumi, I am increasingly thinking I will paint them white as it'll help break up the spine and with the whole model and base completed the white becomes more muted so I don't think it'll be too much. I will see how it goes once I have the other two up to speed :smile.: There are grooves on the shin pads too, I did think about something briefly but it might look a bit busy - nothing that can't be returned to if I change my mind though.

I've sorted the water also, it was easy to peel off once you got a knife under it and the problem was almost certainly drying in daylight (I've always done the water effect in the evenings before) so it should be fine for the second attempt :thumbsup:

While they take a bit of time to do - and have gemstones galore to curse just as the Daemonettes - they're fun models that look very nice so well worth it and they should be handy on the table top. I'm thinking about mixing and matching some bits on the next trio for some variety but unfortunately options will be limited. Perhaps changing the arms is viable? At the least the special Blissbringer claws don't look that different from the normal ones so that should be ok.

edit: and I've just realised I've missed a couple of gemstones... some things never change :P

Edited by WarriorFish

Glad you got your water problems sorted.

i like the gems - they allow me to add a bit of spot colour which is nice after all that pink.  They are easy to miss, though.

Yeah, not sure about how to do variety - one of the problems with the new "posed" models - they are a lot more dynamic looking, but it is harder to avoid repetition when building more than one box worth.

As far as I can see the claws should all fit any arm so it should just be a case of getting good poses in theory. With a bit of variety in heads and tail that should help round them off at least enough for six I can't see myself needing or wanting any more.

Unfortunately progress has been slow but I've been grabbing time where I can to progress on the core colours. The plan is to get the remaining two to the detail stage where hopefully I'll have more time to get them finished :)

I thought it was going to require some work to adapt but I'm happy to have been wrong :P It also means I shouldn't have anything to worry about when I get round to the KoS :) It's tempting to start work already but I need to stick to my guns - I've got some superglue now so work can begin on assembling some Daemonettes.

I have 14 already, so while it will take longer it makes sense to work on the special models to round off two 10 model squads. I am wondering if I really need the icons because they're a bit pricey so probably only worth it in larger squads rather than 10 model ones?

Work is progressing slowly but surely on the two Fiends, I've hit a bit of a block on painting though so rather than squander time I swapped to some assembly.

I wasn't expecting to be able to use the plastic horn arm stock for all, but unfortunately the posing makes it more limiting than I had hoped so I might not be able to get another. One is better than nothing and as luck would have it converting a metal arm up wasn't too hard :smile.:

gallery_30308_10249_79113.jpg

Chopping down the horn made a big difference too. Aside from it looking a bit strange it made the arm huge enough for the chunky plastics never mind the metals, fortunately it was an easy change so overall I think they look nice :thumbsup: I'll have to see about other poses as I'll need at least another two but I'm sticking to my plan for completing the first two 10 model squads so that's converting/kitbashing two Alluresses plus another couple of ordinary Daemonettes.

I've got an extra model out for assembly so I may look into a banner/icon to round them off (I'll use them as the same here for variety) which should give me a decent starting block perhaps to look into getting on the table top in some form :biggrin.:

Back to painting again, the Fiends are coming along nicely:

gallery_30308_10249_80447.jpg

The basing can be left to dry ready for a bit more hobby tomorrow, though they look about there there's quite a few gems to do so along with the final details and touch ups I'm not sure if I can finish them tomorrow but I'll give it a shot :thumbsup:

The plan is to pick away on assembly over the coming week, get the Daemonettes ready for priming along with the Enrapturess. By comparison it might feel quick and easy to paint them after the Fiends, so the next three can wait a little bit before I start on them when I'll be more ready to jump back in to larger models.

That said I'm still keen to do the Keeper of Secrets so maybe I should be good and instead get the third squad of Daemonettes going? Then I can unpack the KoS guilt free :laugh.:

The picture is a side by side of the same bit - I removed the skull and all the spikes, and redid the inline gap where the skull bit was :tu:

I'm still not sure why they'd have a skull in there. Doesn't the daemon want it back? :P I'll have the Daemonettes assembled today I'm sure and I'm contemplating a little bit more GSing on the Enchantress - let's see what the day brings :D