You’re correct they have to be core before game, and are only core when deployed in game and activated with the datasmith brining within 3”.

I think deploying your robots forward and then marching straight at your enemy would also be a very simple and effective strategy. He will have to give them attention like the old carnifex distraction ploy. You could then focus on his anti vehicle with Ironstriders/Onagers.

Anyway my forge world (garage) is up and running again! I hope to have some models to show off soon it’s been a long time since I’ve posted any work on my 40K armies, in fact it’s been a while since I’ve done any work on them!

Edited by brother_b

Thanks for the clarification. I struggle at times to understand the full implications of rules so it give me peace of mind knowing I'm interpreting something correctly. In other words I can dump a big squad of Electro Priests in the enemy deployment zone using that method but Kastelans are out. That's probably for the best anyway. :biggrin.:

Good luck getting back up to speed painting your work, it's always good to see more activity in this part of the forum!

As for me, I just gave the Scale 75 primer another go. I really like the finish it gives and unlike my Vallejo Primer it hasn't been clogging up my airbrush over and over. I can't comment on the durability just yet as I've only just finished spraying. I am aware that a glossy black is better for metallic coats but I'm finding this matte finish a bit easier when it comes to making out detail on the model compared to my Stynylrez primer. The latter seems to be really nice for gloss coats.

Here's my Kastelans enjoying the novelty of not being on a sprue in a cardboard box.

IMG 20210627 173703

I've got all the weapons undercoated separately so the won't be going armless for long. My second Datasmith might not follow suit immediately.

These guys have well and truly usurped my Blood Bowl team in my priority list. I think I can get these out of the door quicker and will bolster my main army. I'm in no rush for the Blood Bowl just yet.

Hey all. I had my battle today and my first win for the Skitarii. I defeated my friend's Necron army. I didn't take notes so rather than a full battle report I'm going to ramble some general observation for the game. Firstly it was a nice change to play Necrons rather than Tyranids so I was able to utilise my some of the mobility of my army. I was also able to push forward and capture objectives which helped a lot.

My friend got the first turn and bracketed my right flank's Dunecrawler pretty seriously with his Doom Scythe and Annihilation Barge. They then proceeded to very little for the rest of the game due to some unfortunate dice rolls.

start

My main target for the game was his Skorpekh Destroyers. I had no Skorpekhs for him to destroy so he settle for an advance upon my left flank. I whittled them down with a large amount of firepower since I knew they could do a lot of damage. My Raiders charged them and evenually destroyed them, falling in turn to revenge attacks from the Skorpekh Lord and Necron Warriors. I was pretty impressed with my unit of Rangers, their Galvanic Volley Fire doing a scary amount of damage output to the rapidly closing Skorpekh Destroyers. They were part of the reason the charge from the Raiders was able to do the damage it did. 

skorp

mine

aftermath

Due to some frankly awful dice rolling and a lucky save here my opponent only destroyed one tank, his Bring it Down not earning him many points. By contrast, my Fusilave just bombed targets with impunity and caused quite a bit of damage to the Skorpekh Destroyers and caused the final six mortal wounds to wipe out his last Warriors. I'd probably give it the mvp in my army this game. Another unit I was proud of was my unit of 20 Vanguard. They Chewed through some Necron Warriors, helped to delete a Hexmark Destroyer after he tore a chunk out of the squad. They just about survived to the end of the same, securing an objective that had become contested in my deployment zone.

I certainly didn't have it all my way though, my Dragoons got tarpitted but a Gauss Reaper Warrior unit and only managed to finally defeat them at the end of the game, they made a mockery of my high-rolling turn with my Dragoons. My Electro Priests got suitably deleted in melee when then went to help dig the Dragoons out of their mess. My Destroyers didn't blow themselves up amazingly but were picked apart by hostile fire.

The Necrons left the game with a lone Warden surviving but the points were a lot closer because my vehicles just. didn't. die. Whether it was incense, force fields and the like my vehicles just stayed in the game even with me not remembering to use my Dominus to repair any of them.

I didn't take any robots this game and I didn't really miss them, I felt like I relied upon them too heavily in the previous games but that was against melee Tyranids so I needed the firepower to push them back.

Once again my poor understsanding of the rules slowed the game down a bit but I am learning gradually. I am starting to enjoy the game, I need to get more familiar with how Canticles and Doctrina Imperatives work now. I had to laugh that both my friend and I has our respective Rad World themed rules. I didn't get to use mine however. Perhaps I should just throw some Sulphurhounds and Vanguard into my army for more Radiation-based hijinks.

Edited by Magos Takatus

Congrats on the winning !

I've watched several battle reports so far, and I'm amazed by the amount of dmg the Rangers/Vanguards can now dish out ! I've seen a squad being almost decimated by some Elites BS squad (cannot remember which one atm), and then retaliate and annihilate them next turn. Beautiful :biggrin.:

Another thing I've noticed so far : most opponents tend to disregard the Rangers/Vanguards units for most of the game, until they unleash a fearsome amount of wounds^^ I think it might be a good way to exploit this, maybe with adding some diversion/pressure from, say, Infiltrators ? Especially with Lucius as a FW, sounds like a decent move. Haven't seen it yet in BR though :-/

Anyway, congrats again ! Well done, Magos ! I trust you managed to secure a few parts for the Mechanicus to study :wink:

Edited by Magos Guilderius Davvarel

My friend is now adamant that I have to fight his Death Guard now. I'm going to need a hurricane of firepower to compete with Mortarion. On the the plus side I managed to find a shop selling the most recent Start Collecting box (Skitarii, Enginseer, Skorpius) so I can build some data tether Skitarii and hopefully sort out my special weapons. I already have plenty of heavy support options so it's probably better to build a second Dunerider. That will open the doors for other assault units down the line. I was considering some Fulgurite priests after all.

Yes, Dunerider to get elites units as close as possible as soon as possible is, in my very humble opinion, a must-have these days with 9th ed rules and importance of mobility.

Again, I'm convinced that using Lucius Marshall with Solar Flare relic + teleportarium pre-battle start is a blast. Though I've read several articles about this, I cannot stop myself thinking a mixed army with a Lucius detachment for specialized units (for example, Dunerider filled to the brim with EP) or Sulphurhounds Serbys, able to pop up behind enemies lines or right in front of an objective, can be a good way to put pressure on an opponent :smile.: Add a few Pteraxiis or Inflitrators to this, and Vanguards to sap S/T, I bet it can be pretty nasty :tongue.:

But then again, I'm only theorizing here, as I'm faaaaaar from done painting my 1500pts XD

Edited by Magos Guilderius Davvarel

Yes, Dunerider to get elites units as close as possible as soon as possible is, in my very humble opinion, a must-have these days with 9th ed rules and importance of mobility.

Again, I'm convinced that using Lucius Marshall with Solar Flare relic + teleportarium pre-battle start is a blast. Though I've read several articles about this, I cannot stop myself thinking a mixed army with a Lucius detachment for specialized units (for example, Dunerider filled to the brim with EP) or Sulphurhounds Serbys, able to pop up behind enemies lines or right in front of an objective, can be a good way to put pressure on an opponent :smile.: Add a few Pteraxiis or Inflitrators to this, and Vanguards to sap S/T, I bet it can be pretty nasty :tongue.:

But then again, I'm only theorizing here, as I'm faaaaaar from done painting my 1500pts XD

I believe you are quite right. Lucius sounds really powerful about now. I don't mix rules for detachments since I'm still trying to remember to use warlord traits and keep Doctrina Imperatives and Canticles in mind during gameplay. Having more than one Dogma in play at a time would really confuse me. :D

I've learned that 1750 points feels pretty tight when it comes to list building. It was only after I cut out Cawl and the Robots that I felt I could bring enough toys to bear. My Fusilave seems quite effective but I wouldn't know if throwing one at Mortarion would work. It seems like it would be less effective used on him.

My second Datasmith might not follow suit immediately.

Y'know when I said it might be a while before I painted my Datasmith?

gallery_6512_11786_159783.jpg

gallery_6512_11786_370486.jpggallery_6512_11786_173019.jpggallery_6512_11786_419410.jpg

It turns out I wanted a quick snack before I sunk my teeth into my Kastelans. It was trickier to paint than the first one because whoever had originally sold them to me had fully assembled the Datasmith. I actually did a better job painting the nooks and crannies that I expected I'd be able to. I might touch up the highlighting on the rivet gun because that and the face let the paintjob down I think. It's not painted exactly the same as my first Datasmith but it is close enough that it would be tricky to tell them apart apart from the different heads.

I am not even going to predict what models I will work on next, I seem to be switching tasks really frequently these days. Perhaps I'll start on the robots. Perhaps. :laugh.:

• 1 month later...

Hey all! I've been faffing about not getting much painting done recently but I finally varnished and completed my Kastelan Robots. Once the main armour is complete on these it's pretty smooth sailing from that point onwards.

gallery_6512_11786_40849.jpg

gallery_6512_11786_153735.jpggallery_6512_11786_230541.jpg

gallery_6512_11786_83313.jpg

gallery_6512_11786_129140.jpg

Rotato-vision!

I decided to emphasise the hazard stripes more heavily on the fists which had the added benefit that it will make the melee weapons easier to spot on the gaming table.

I'll be going back to Blood Bowl to paint a Black orc team blue for a friend so the Start Collecting box will have to wait for now. I suppose that gives me time to decide on whether the Skorpius hovercraft will be made into a transport or a tank when I finally get round to it.

• 4 months later...

It's been a fair while since my Adeptus Mechanicus have had any noteworthy changes, I have a Start Collecting box floating around in my cupboard but I've been concentrating on other tasks. I've recently chewed my way through 20 plastic Krieg, a Blood Bowl Nobility team, a friend's Black Orc team and an Ork Warboss in Mega Armour, so it's time for something with more gears and pistons...

Tanktrainthing

I know this doesn't have rules in 40k but it is my favourite tank-train-tractor-limousine so when My wonderful friend took me to Warhammer World I finally took the plunge and ordered myself a Triaros. I've spent a little while cutting away at it with a knife but tomorrow will be cutting/sanding/mask day so hopefully I'll find somewhere safe to set up shop, probably in the shed. 

I hope you all had a happy Christmas/appropriate seasonal holiday and you have a great new year.

This looks delicious ! :tongue.: Can't wait to see it painted with your color scheme :yes:

Oh, Cheers! :D I think it will be fairly quick to do. It's made of about 15 parts so it isn't too complex looking and it's already cleaned up and washed, it's waiting to dry before I attack it with some glue. Depending on the size difference I might try to run it as a Skorpius Dunerider unless it's much larger. If it remains a large shelf ornament it will be a tad sad but without any 40k rules for it to start with I went into the project knowing it might not see the table. Those nice big doors will hopefully be a good spot for some decals too.

This looks delicious ! :tongue.: Can't wait to see it painted with your color scheme :yes:

Oh, Cheers! :biggrin.: I think it will be fairly quick to do. It's made of about 15 parts so it isn't too complex looking and it's already cleaned up and washed, it's waiting to dry before I attack it with some glue. Depending on the size difference I might try to run it as a Skorpius Dunerider unless it's much larger. If it remains a large shelf ornament it will be a tad sad but without any 40k rules for it to start with I went into the project knowing it might not see the table. Those nice big doors will hopefully be a good spot for some decals too.

Maybe you could put it on some large base, to limit it to the size of a Skorpius ? Dunno if it's possible though^^

I'm sure you'll do awesome :D On my side, nothing is possible to achieve atm as I'm currently preparing to pack to move to a new home, and a new life starting next month :D Still have nearly 2.5k points of AdMech to assemble and paint, and started buying SM and BS models too xD Can't wait to get back to it !

So I kinda finished my Triaros already.  I was pretty determined to get it done quickly without too many shortcuts. I decided again that I wasn't going to edge highlight everything and would instead airbrush the panels. I also used enamel and oil paints here combined with weathering powder so hopefully it will look pretty weather-beaten around the tracks but a bit tidier up top.

Triaros1

Triaros2

Triaros3

Triaros4

Triaros5

Triaros6

The Triaros is actually quite a bit larger than I thought it was. Here's a size comparison to the only thing I could really proxy it as, and that's asking a lot, Looks like it's just going to sit on my shelf until GW change their stance on rules for Mechanicum units.

Triaroscomparison

This model had relatively few parts but there's a slight warpage in there somewhere because it doesn't quite sit flat on both tracks. I didn't notice until both the tracks were firmly glued to the lower hull.

As always, give me some feedback if you wish, I as happy to receive some constructive criticism. :)

I think I'm going to paint up some Skitarii as my next Asmech project but for now I heed the call of the Eldar path. Might start a new plog there sometime. 

Dude, that work is impressive ! Very fond of the little servo-skulls on weapons (I do like my servo-skulls, I'd put some everywhere if I could xD) and the color scheme is still awesome :thumbsup:

Wow, that's a fair old chunk of an army to work on in one go. I hope you can dive into it without complications as soon as your hobby area is up and running again. :smile.:

Do not worry, I'll take the time it nedds to get it done :D Have already found a club where I'll be able to put my skills to test and train my lists :P Still working on my lore though, not sure if I'll go Iron Snakes as originally planned, they seem a bit complicated to list without bending the rules too much... Asking if I won't reoriente my concept towards an alliance between a Lucius slave-FW and Space Wolves, kinda like the idea too :) And very fond of Norse mythology too, so it won't be a problem either !

Dude, that work is impressive ! Very fond of the little servo-skulls on weapons (I do like my servo-skulls, I'd put some everywhere if I could xD) and the color scheme is still awesome :thumbsup:

Wow, that's a fair old chunk of an army to work on in one go. I hope you can dive into it without complications as soon as your hobby area is up and running again. :smile.:

Do not worry, I'll take the time it nedds to get it done :biggrin.: Have already found a club where I'll be able to put my skills to test and train my lists :tongue.: Still working on my lore though, not sure if I'll go Iron Snakes as originally planned, they seem a bit complicated to list without bending the rules too much... Asking if I won't reoriente my concept towards an alliance between a Lucius slave-FW and Space Wolves, kinda like the idea too :smile.: And very fond of Norse mythology too, so it won't be a problem either !

You are fond of Servo-skulls, eh? I recently bought this: https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/skulls/1850-resin-mechanical-skulls-servo-skulls.html I haven't made any yet but looking at the casts still in box they look pretty good and will either end up as decoration for my characters or part of objective markers. I'll use them up one way or another. :smile.:

It sounds like your army concept is complicated but I'm sure you can pull it off. So you are aiming for a Forge World allied with Space Marines essentially? As soon as you mentioned combining a Norse theme with Admech the first thing my brain came up with was Techno Vikings. Oops.

*age restricted meme removed by author. Didn't realise it would be age restricted. Must have been naughty language or something*

Seriously though long dead memes aside, it sounds like a cool concept. Will you be leaning into the Wolfy part of Space Wolves or heading for a different approach?

Edited by Magos Takatus

Do not worry, I'll take the time it nedds to get it done :biggrin.: Have already found a club where I'll be able to put my skills to test and train my lists :tongue.: Still working on my lore though, not sure if I'll go Iron Snakes as originally planned, they seem a bit complicated to list without bending the rules too much... Asking if I won't reoriente my concept towards an alliance between a Lucius slave-FW and Space Wolves, kinda like the idea too :smile.: And very fond of Norse mythology too, so it won't be a problem either !

You are fond of Servo-skulls, eh? I recently bought this: https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/skulls/1850-resin-mechanical-skulls-servo-skulls.html I haven't made any yet but looking at the casts still in box they look pretty good and will either end up as decoration for my characters or part of objective markers. I'll use them up one way or another. :smile.:

It sounds like your army concept is complicated but I'm sure you can pull it off. So you are aiming for a Forge World allied with Space Marines essentially? As soon as you mentioned combining a Norse theme with Admech the first thing my brain came up with was Techno Vikings. Oops.

*age restricted meme removed by author. Didn't realise it would be age restricted. Must have been naughty language or something*

Seriously though long dead memes aside, it sounds like a cool concept. Will you be leaning into the Wolfy part of Space Wolves or heading for a different approach?

Holy Cogy, that link is AWESOME !!! I need those !!! I'll buy tons of 'em as soon as I've moved ! They'll be perfect to run alongside my kitbashed TechPriest :P Thanks a lot mate !!!

Yup I plan on creating a cohesive lore with a custom FW and a Space Marines homeworld. Was thinkin about something with the Iron Snakes, but their chapter organisation (which is very cool btw) is a bit off-track and requires lot of tweaking (and not even mentioning the fact that every model will need to be customised as Hell)... And I love old greek mythology :D

On the other hand, Space Wolves have a more common approach (despite being a Codex Astartes non-compliant chapter) and have a very cool personnality ^^ And I'm also a huge fan of Norse mythology, so could be a good way to go too^^

If I go SW, I'll try to build a lore-wise list (I'm not running after competion atm) I can have fun with^^

If I go IS, I WANT to build a lore-wise list, but it's a bit complicated... In fact I'd need to play them as Deathwatch to be more accurate to their ways :)

Hello all, I have got another battle coming up, this time a 2000 point game against Adeptus Custodes. It's also the first time I'm going to try bringing a Knight with me, I decided to go for a master plan by selecting a Gallant. I figured if I send him on a suicide mission up the centre of the board that might buy me just enough time for the rest of my army to die horribly on an objective somewhere. :p

I figured I would make some changes to my army to try to deal with Custodes, if some of it works it might filter down into future lists. 

1) I brought along 4 Kastelan Robots. When they were overpowered I didn't even bother to assemble them, but the second pair I built had magnetic arms so while one unit are forever stuck as Dakkabots. As a result one unit will hopefully hang back to offer fire support while the second unit will take the Fist/Kastelan Phospor/Heavy Phosphor loadout. I am hoping that he will still view them as a ranged threat and get close enough for the fists to do some damage.

2) I am swapping out my Plasma Culverins for some Grav Cannons. I am hoping that they will be more reliable and less likely to go up like a bag of fireworks upon overcharge.

3) My Gallant Knight is hopefully going to cause a ruckus. I hope it will be resilient but I don't know what anti-armour capability Custodes have.

4) My Onager is putting down it's Neutron Laser in favour of the Twin Onager Heavy Phosphor Blasters. I figured it will probably get stuck in combat so anything with Blast will be a waste and spamming Str6 D2 seems safer compared to 1-3 Neutron Laser shots that might bounce off an invulnerable save.

This army could be a complete disaster but I guess I'll find out soon.

battleprep2smol

battleprep1smol

I'll try to take some photos on the day providing I remember.

Ah, slight update, I've had to postpone the game, my mum needs to be taken to the hospital and I'm the only person able to wheel her around. Between the odd 40k game and my mum's health it's no competition so my next game will be post-codex so they will be much tougher to face. :p