General Discussion Secundus

bluntblade

I'm working on a scene where Ellan Temeter gets plastered with the viscera of another remembrancer. Don't even talk to me about kid-friendly.

The other kid-friendly. You read the stsrt of the story and the quotation of total recall^^

Action can be a tricky one to write because it's often hard to find good literary inspiration for it.

Btw, gotta find somewhere to work in the Age of Strife trickster goddess, Gyppayis. Sovereign of misdirection, particularly loathed by the nomads of the Shakletian Desolation. Anyone get it, or have I gone too obscure?

Made a start on the 1st chapter of the 1st part of the fluff detaiking the Eastern Fringe campaign. As you can see, it's too short by far. Any ideas what extra details I could add in?

The two legions who Icarion would initially send to fight on the Eastern Fringe were the Drowned and Steel Legion, the grim XVIth and mechanical XVIIIth. Both possessed traits ideal for such a campaign of annihilation against a fellow legion followed by a rapid conquest: pragmatism, ruthlesness and utter disregard for what others thought of as their honour. On their own, each was a formidable force, the Drowned alone possessing more than twice the number of legionaries commanded by Azus. Together they were a hammer blow designed to shatter Imperial defences on the Eastern Fringe in a single stroke. However, as was often the case in the Insurrection, both legions had their own motivations for wanting to be the Stormlord's iron gauntlet in the East.

The Drowned were driven by their own desire to prove themselves superior to their brother legions. They still burned with frustration at their perceived failure on the Day of Revelation and none more so than Sorrowsworn Morro himself. He had come within a hair's breadth of ending Pionius Santor but had been thwarted at the last second and the Scions Hospitalier had remained a significant force among the Warmaster's armies. The Drowned saw this eastern campaign as their chance to set the score straight once and for all. They would destroy the Dune Serpents and kill their primarch or drag him back to Madrigal in chains as a prize and they would not simply grind away at the Dune Serpents through attrition. They would make a show of it, a grand gesture to prove their superiority once and for all.

The Steel Legion were also motivated by the chance for spoils. However, they had no great desire to capture Azus. Instead, their gaze was fixed on the forge world of Hephaesta, a well known repository of knowledge found in the eastern campaigns of the Great Crusade and greedily hoarded by the Mechanicum. Of all the legions, the Steel Legion had been the closest to the Mechanicum during the Great Crusade yet still they did not know all of the tech-priests secrets, nor did the tech-priests know all of theirs. In this eastern campaign, the Steel Legion saw a chance to increase their own knowledge of the machine by taking by force what the Mechanicum had been unwilling to volountarily share with them.

As ever, the Stormlord had succeeded in choosing those of his legions best motivated for the task which he required of them. They would need every bit of that motivation however, for the plan which they were to enact was ambitious.

Icarion's plan for this conquest was a great encirclement of the Eastern Fringe. The Drowned and Steel Legion would cut a path around the Eastern Fringe, seizing warp hubs and ports, cutting it off from the wider Imperium and so from any reinforcements. Then, and only then, were they to swing about and carve their way inwards to the core of the Eastern Fringe. If these worlds were seized then the rest of the Eastern Fringe would surely fall in quick succession, with even the most well supplied worlds being starved into submission in less than a year.

The Insurrectionists reasoned that such a threat would force the Dune Serpents to stand and fight. While they undoubtedly preferred to hit and then run, they would have nowhere to run to if the core systems fell, no supply lines to fall back on. Therefore, when the Drowned and Steel Legion closed in on the core worlds, it would leave the Dune Serpents no choice: fight or die. Once pinned to the core systems, their lack of numbers and heavy equipment would be the telling factor and they would be crushed by the strength of either one or both of the legions sent against them. With them would fall the core systems and the rest of the Eastern Fringe with time. The Eastern Fringe would be the Stormlord's within two years.

Also, I had an idea for a battle on a gas giant for the Drowned in which they are entirely equipped with volkites for maximum choom value. Currently thinking their foes should be Mechanicum. Any other ideas?

EDIT: Maybe loyalist Eagle Warriors?

Oooh, looks like the SL are about to get their time to shine! And they'll be up against the Dune Serpents & Mechanicum? An interesting match-up, especially with the Drowned thrown into the mix... Hmm, perhaps this campaign could involve the usage of one of the SL's brand-spanking new Umbra-Class Intel Cruisers, I could see it's infiltration as well as electronic & cyberwarfare capabilities being of great use against Forge World Hephesta, plus it could keep the DS cells and strike forces disorganised by jamming/listening in on their communications, maybe even tracing them back to their source allowing the Insurrectionists to hunt down the loyalists. On the flip side however the DS would probably grow wise to this and start sending false messages to lure SL & Drowned forces into traps and ambushes later on after they set up alternative means pf communication to organise themselves with.

It worked better spoken out loud. She's meant to be a mangled phonetic version of GPS. Hence misdirection.

Edit: just found the old note, which spelt her name as Gypayess. Damn, that worked much better.

Holy :cuss, that's both clever and funny as all hell blunt, I like it! :lol: Edited by SanguiniusReborn

TheBlindPrimarch&Redd: thing is, we need this to be written in the Forgeworld style rather than as short stories. Are you both able to write in that style?

Narrative I'm fine with, even with battles. It's when they fall into first of third type narratives I've issues.

TheBlindPrimarch&Redd: thing is, we need this to be written in the Forgeworld style rather than as short stories. Are you both able to write in that style?

Narrative I'm fine with, even with battles. It's when they fall into first of third type narratives I've issues.

Great. I'll PM you the details

EDIT: So Redd is doing the Drowned's pincer of the encirclement of the Eastern Fringe. Anyone want to do the Steel Legion's?

Edited by Sigismund229

Ok, so Kel and Sang are helping Mikhal in writing the Steel Legion's pincer of the encirclement of the Eastern Fringe, Redd is writing the Drowned's. I'll be mainly focusing on getting the rewrites of the book 1 drafts into larger parts done, moving on to helping out with book 2 as soon as I'm done with those. 

blunt, I know that you're writing the Flight of the Dragon of Autumn at the moment. Once you're done with that, would you mind doing the rewrite of the Madrigal Purge?