+ Tactica and Strategica - A Comprehensive Review +

Race Bannon

The one that needs to be considered now is the Gravis Captain due to master of ambush.  The bolt storm gauntlet and the power sword are not the greatest but with the buff to his hp and his durability allows him to hold on and protect other units or walk over and smack something with his power fist.

The full on smash captains aren't as needed but they're still welcome due to the prevalence of flyers dreads and repulsors. 

I thought attacks are resolved at the same time, meaning the skull would be only good for (effectively) one roll per fight phase?

No. Attacks are resolved individually. Batch rolling is optional, except in certain formats where its mandatory but even then the attacks are considered seperate. This along with the FAQ clarifies how such abilities work.

Edit here copy paste from FAQ:

Q. A lot of rules apply an effect when resolving an attack, rather than attacks. Does this mean the ability only applies for one single attack? For example, the Masterful Marksmanship Stratagem states ‘Until the end of the phase, when resolving an attack made with a special issue boltgun by a model in that unit, add 1 to the wound roll.’

A: The attack sequence in the core rules is based on attacks being made one at a time. Therefore the wording of these abilities matches how attacks are resolved in the core rules. The ability would still apply to other attacks made by that unit, so long as it satisfied the requirements laid out in the rule. In the above example, the ability would apply for each attack you make with a special issue boltgun by a model in that unit until the end of the phase.

Edited by Brom MKIV

I thought attacks are resolved at the same time, meaning the skull would be only good for (effectively) one roll per fight phase?

Correct, it only enables one re-roll, including if you choose to fight twice.

Also, Power Fist + Skull is less damage than Thunder Hammer straight up.

Like you said though, it comes down to points. What is 31 points worth to you?

Id argue (almost) that if you don't have a need to kill knights, you don't have a "smash" type HQ at all anyway. There are units that can handle the job adequately (Assault Cents + Aggressors), in the situations where the assault enemy is bringing the fight to you.

I'm a bit rusty on the 8th rules, but I was under the impression that declaring targets and splitting shots/melee was done at the same time. However, the attacks themself are resolved one at a time. At least that's what I can find from reading the rules and the faq

Yes exactly. Declare first (each weapon must direct all attacks at one target so no splitting stormbolter shots between 4 targets) then resolve 1 at a time. Batch rolling optional when it applies.

Edited by Brom MKIV

Hadn't thought of that since I haven't used catechism but ya thats badass.

Also why even 6+++ is so much better than it looks due to rolling individually. I still FNP type effects played wrong all the time when people just batch roll.