8th Edition: Zeal Rising

d3m01iti0n

I actually expect every single resin named character to be re-done in plastic as Primaris.

It's clearly going to happen.

I can live with having characters in truescale sizes, as long as they don,t use this as an excuse to outright get rid of our current characters and invent new ones.

Has GW outright gotten rid of a named character ever ?

As in : this guy died, he's gone, bye bye ?

I actually expect every single resin named character to be re-done in plastic as Primaris.

I'm not expecting Templars to get anything new honestly. I'm very pleased with the new GW everything about 8th but I'm not getting my hopes up

I can live with having characters in truescale sizes, as long as they don,t use this as an excuse to outright get rid of our current characters and invent new ones.

Sisters lost 2 named Canoness characters (without official models, just wargear) from the 2nd ed codex (one of which was Canoness Praxedis who killed a Hive Tyrant in melee and was last seen holding the line to allow Imperial civilians to escape the tide of teeth and chitin that was a hive fleet invasion).

Jacobus and Kyrinov came back during 5th after going missing from 3rd on, but Kyrinov was pulled from the 6th edition codex when his model went OoP. And technically Jacobus should be dead as he died in some virus infested swamps in the 2nd ed book.

That said, it,s the OoP method of disposal I fear the most. The characters are never killed on screen, just quietly removed and replaced with new ones.

Moving on, transports look dang sexy. Sure you have to disembark before they move to get your multi-assault on, but that's a fair trade for getting to kick heretics in the face after hopping out your Rhinos (if you didn't bring LRCs).

Rolling a 1 when the vehicle dies does put some things at risk (namely characters followed by special wargear loadouts) but since it makes all transports equally risky for everyone, I can accept that in the name of balance.

Yep, albeit you have to disembark first and then you can move and charge but it's honestly not any different than when you could do it before(you were capped at 6" of movement) but now you can do it from every vehicle. Plus the vehicle can charge and soak overwatch! I can't wait for 8th, this is too much :lol:

I’d be remiss if I didn’t start out with my all time favourite Tyranid unit: the Swarmlord. He is an absolute beast now, as he should be! With a Toughness value of 6, 12 Wounds, a 3+ save and a 5+ invulnerable save (increased to a 4+ invulnerable save in melee) he is not easily taken down. This can be further enhanced by casting Catalyst on him (and did I mention he’s a potent Psyker, too?) to give him a 5+ save vs Wounds suffered.

But it’s not just defence, oh no, Mr. Swarmlord brings the pain in combat as well. With a base of Strength of 8, 7 Attacks, hitting on a 2+, with an AP value of -3 and D6 damage a pop, the Swarmlord can lay low even Titanic units in a single round of combat. Truly a fearsome adversary.

I have the vaguest feeling the Emperor's Champion will have an itty bitty problem with this challenger.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t start out with my all time favourite Tyranid unit: the Swarmlord. He is an absolute beast now, as he should be! With a Toughness value of 6, 12 Wounds, a 3+ save and a 5+ invulnerable save (increased to a 4+ invulnerable save in melee) he is not easily taken down. This can be further enhanced by casting Catalyst on him (and did I mention he’s a potent Psyker, too?) to give him a 5+ save vs Wounds suffered.

But it’s not just defence, oh no, Mr. Swarmlord brings the pain in combat as well. With a base of Strength of 8, 7 Attacks, hitting on a 2+, with an AP value of -3 and D6 damage a pop, the Swarmlord can lay low even Titanic units in a single round of combat. Truly a fearsome adversary.

I have the vaguest feeling the Emperor's Champion will have an itty bitty problem with this challenger.

Still won't stop me from trying.

Nah, his sword is going to do 12D6 damage when you roll a 6 ;)

Sisters lost 2 named Canoness characters (without official models, just wargear) from the 2nd ed codex (one of which was Canoness Praxedis who killed a Hive Tyrant in melee and was last seen holding the line to allow Imperial civilians to escape the tide of teeth and chitin that was a hive fleet invasion).

Jacobus and Kyrinov came back during 5th after going missing from 3rd on, but Kyrinov was pulled from the 6th edition codex when his model went OoP. And technically Jacobus should be dead as he died in some virus infested swamps in the 2nd ed book.

That said, it,s the OoP method of disposal I fear the most. The characters are never killed on screen, just quietly removed and replaced with new ones.

So, in short, no. No named  character with an official model has ever been killed and removed from the range, and only some characters have had their old model go OOP and replaced with a fresher one (Calgar comes to mind, Njall, recently Cypher and Celestine).

I could probably live with a new Grimaldus or Helbrecht model.

So, in short, no. No named  character with an official model has ever been killed and removed from the range, and only some characters have had their old model go OOP and replaced with a fresher one (Calgar comes to mind, Njall, recently Cypher and Celestine).

Killed in story, no. But Kyrinov was flat out removed completely and never replaced.

That said, it's a concern. We can't assume that because something hasn't happened it'll never happen. Of course I want to be wrong on this, but having lost options in the past I still will feel the worry of a repeat in the future.

Killed in story, no. But Kyrinov was flat out removed completely and never replaced.

That said, it's a concern. We can't assume that because something hasn't happened it'll never happen. Of course I want to be wrong on this, but having lost options in the past I still will feel the worry of a repeat in the future.

Killed in the story yes, removed from the range no

Brother Captain Tycho

Nah, his sword is going to do 12D6 damage when you roll a 6 msn-wink.gif

It sounds heretical but my guess is he'll work a lot like the mighty lord of khorne in AOS. He rolls a die for each successful wound on a target and automatically kills it on a 5+ regardless of the wound count or armor save.

I'm calling it now, the Black sword will probably do D6 wounds and be at least AP -3

And the EC will probably get its old rule back, the one about moving closer towards characters to kill them in close combat. Wouldnt surprise me if he ignored the 'closest model' rule and was able to shoot at characters as well.

Yep, albeit you have to disembark first and then you can move and charge but it's honestly not any different than when you could do it before(you were capped at 6" of movement) but now you can do it from every vehicle. Plus the vehicle can charge and soak overwatch! I can't wait for 8th, this is too much laugh.png

Makes me wonder how they'll handle Land Raiders.

Makes me wonder how they'll handle Land Raiders.

Maybe Land Raiders can move and units can disembark then Assault... instead of units disembarking first before Assaulting, giving units an additional movement distance when Assaulting.

Um guys... Rending (which is technically AP2) is AP-4...

so Black Sword is now potentially:

BLACK SWORD

S+2 AP-4 D*

*On a roll of 6 to Wound, roll a D6 for the amount of damage.

-or-

*On a roll of 6, the unit suffers a Mortal Wound

Archived