8th Edition: Zeal Rising

d3m01iti0n

I lost my millions of transfers when I lost my hobby stuff so 3rd party it is for me. But with this edition I'll be forming another 20 man Crusader squad so I'm going full in on upgrade sprues.

20 man Primaris Squad? tongue.png Or maybe you intend to stick to the Squat Marines? I'm still looking for companions who will, in spite of common sense, refuse to add Guilliman's abominations... at least initially.

I need no Ultramarine sorcery in my Crusade!

I was thinking about some of the complaints about the MkX armour, and I think some of them would also be aimed at Errant armour.

MkVIII "Errant" pattern power armour has reinforced joints and a tall gorget to protect the soft joint sections from richocets, and other things that can punch through the weaker sections of the armour. Clearly they incorporated that into the MkX armour (for obvious reasons) and went with the MkIV helmet design because the flat faceplate is more heavily armoured then the grille of MkVII armour, and the flat profile means it doesn't have issues from the gorget being in the way.

As for the smaller shoulder pads, that could be seen as the modelling team wanting to preserve assets for existing molded shoulder pad kits, while in universe it could be seen as a deliberate choice to allow the wearer a greater range of motion while protecting the soft shoulder armour.

20 man Primaris Squad? :P Or maybe you intend to stick to the Squat Marines? I'm still looking for companions who will, in spite of common sense, refuse to add Guilliman's abominations... at least initially.

Squat Marines my Battle Bro. I won't run. Primaris until they get a BT sprue.

Embrace the holy light of the Primarch.

Welcome it into your Chapter.

:-D

Really, no offence. But. How. Abour. No?

And this isn't only about in-game stuff, and the dubious quality of the fluff. I'm motivated by something else, arguably more shameful, that is 'ideological reasons', as I strongly disagree with GW's decision to introduce 'Primaris' Marines to the setting. This is a strong claim, but I see this move as morally wrong one.

But from a fluff perspective (and my interpretation is based on Codex: Black Templars) I find it difficult to process that the Black Templars welcome something offered by a UM Primarch easily. I want to see my chapter as a band of self-aware bigots zealous Crusaders disregard, or even abhorring, any external authority. With our distrust for Witches/Librarians, I struggle to depict Templars as easily accepting 'military assets' in the form of 'Primaris' Marines, regardless of how good of an asset they are.

20 man Primaris Squad? tongue.png Or maybe you intend to stick to the Squat Marines? I'm still looking for companions who will, in spite of common sense, refuse to add Guilliman's abominations... at least initially.

Squat Marines my Battle Bro. I won't run. Primaris until they get a BT sprue.

Yes, good! Embrace your conservatism, cherish it. With the disclosed rules for 8th Edition, I'm quite excited about the game. And I hope that "New GW" will not make the 'Primaris Marines' so OP, that I won't be able to obliterate them on the tabletop, if the Emperor wishes so (and I want to believe that MY Emperor, established in the fluff before 6th Ed, would offer all his godly assistance to any Black Templar force).

I need to see how caracthers are.

If that sword dude is a captain i am severely disapointed.

No capes, loinclothes nothing.

Its awfull

Honestly I rather like the understated look.

That said, there is no double stripe marking for the Codex Astartes so he's definitely not just SGT or Vet SGT.

Perhaps a weaker HQ?

I finally will be getting a launch point and reason to truescale all my marines...

I am definitely in the following camps.

Nufluff is garbage.

The new models are truescale and so I shall truescale as many of my older models as much as my meager skills will allow

I firmly suspect we have seen the last new marine model that isn't primaris sized from here on out...

Not sold on 8th, but it doesn't matter, this is 90% hobby, 9% playing massively homebrew RPG style 40k so I'll just blend rules I like and ignore the rest... and 1% going to the local spot and playing a pick up game (2 x 750 point games in the last year)

Rules wise... Idk... all these primaris squads are just different sword brethren units now. Tough as nails SB all candidates for castellan, marshall, chaplain etc. Hence 2 wounds each... especially since all my crusaders, sword bros and officers from here on out will be the same size and the models will be converted and mixed in...

I don't hate the idea of enhancing Marines to fight harder since the Imperium is getting spanked like a disobedient child in a Catholic school, but it being not used for plot but instead as a blatant phasing out of existing stuff (through the whole "chapters can make there own!" stuff) is a bit of a thing I have an issue swallowing.

I wanted a second Heresy (perhaps we could call this one Guilliman's Folly) sort of setting to go forward with, not what we're seeing.

That said, the idea could still be salvaged, but the marketing for it has done nothing to make the idea actually good.

That said, scale wise they're pretty much everything I've wanted from Marines, and I don't hate the new armour since, as I pointed out, it's basically just a natural evolution of MkVIII Errant Armour.

The lack of tabards is a shame though, and the limited wargear selection on the core unit leaves me scratching my head.

Here's to hoping that they don't turn into power armoured Eldar in terms of play style.

I'm all for 8th Edition and New GW in general. The new models look great and the fluff is probably the easiest way to explain the upscale. I am doing a keg stand of Kool Aid, which is ironic because I was one of the most pissed off and zealous pricks on this site when we lost our dex. But my head canon simply does not see BT accepting Primaris into their ranks until the bigwigs undergo the process. And only then will my current Initiates get up scaled with a new BT sprue. We have the numbers to not require reinforcement and we have a clearly defined army structure that doesn't call for new squads. I'm sure there will be Timmys that want their New Shinys and will make these silly BT Primaris squads but I've really got no interests when those posts start hitting. Expand your Crusade force as Sigismund intended to follow our brother Fists into the stars and you have my full undivided attention and respect. Zero tolerance for codex conformity.

I heard the Primaris referred to as the "Blunder Warriors" in jest to the old thunder warriors and made me chuckle. I'll keep the moniker for them until I get bored of it.

Being we are the only non codex compliant chapter included in the Dex it always irked me but I cannot do anything about that now. I always liked the new assault marine kits without the jump packs to represent my Templars and and assault configurations the new guys may have might make it onto my painting table.

All I really know is this. All of the new characters for the much maligned age of Sigmar are really beautiful and fun to paint. The Primaris heroes will be glorious and I can't wait to see/paint them.

Much like Sisters I wouldn,t expect Black Templar support to be high.

Mostly because GW likes to play with my emotions too much when it comes to armies I like.

Much like Sisters I wouldn,t expect Black Templar support to be high.

Mostly because GW likes to play with my emotions too much when it comes to armies I like.

Because our Righteous Zeal is not Righteous enough. GW listens. Sly Marbo rules in SW is a testament to that. Perform your daily litanies upon the GW FB and the Emperor will reward you.

I never got into the whole RP thing but damn, the way things have been lately I feel like a Chaplain spouting devotional hatred and spurning on my Battle Bros.

Being we are the only non codex compliant chapter included in the Dex it always irked me but I cannot do anything about that now.

Throne, even the Dark and Blood Angels are much more Codex-Compliant, and yet they are upheld by GW as 'great examples of doing your own thing'...

...but that's an old subject. As for my attitude towards the Primaris miniatures - calling them Astartes or Space Marines is giving them a term that they do not deserve. My Templars, and my Ultramarines for that matter, will remain as they always have - made up of true Astartes, not vat-grown mockeries of the Emperor's glorious work. I may at some point get some, but if I do, they will be painted as their own Chapter - the others will stay pure.

As for the smaller shoulder pads, that could be seen as the modelling team wanting to preserve assets for existing molded shoulder pad kits, while in universe it could be seen as a deliberate choice to allow the wearer a greater range of motion while protecting the soft shoulder armour.

That's also what I'm thinking.

They could have made bigger shoulder pads and shaft for a while the 3D printers that ride on their IPs coattails, but they didn't. It is a deliberate move to preserve existing kits.

I could be mistaken...but I guess I don't see where they said the PM were enhancements? Sounds like they were entirely a new thing...clones of sorts. Grown...not like an injection you give Helbrecht and he NuHelbrecht. Chapters are given the formula to make their own, not "enhance" if I was reading their fluff correctly.

I could be mistaken...but I guess I don't see where they said the PM were enhancements? Sounds like they were entirely a new thing...clones of sorts. Grown...not like an injection you give Helbrecht and he NuHelbrecht. Chapters are given the formula to make their own, not "enhance" if I was reading their fluff correctly.

Exactly like that. They said in the QA that the technology is given by RG to Chapter Masters to both MAKE Primaris and UPLIFT Marines to Primaris. So yeah, nuHel or nuGrim are entirely a possibility.

I actually expect every single resin named character to be re-done in plastic as Primaris.

It's clearly going to happen.

I can live with having characters in truescale sizes, as long as they don,t use this as an excuse to outright get rid of our current characters and invent new ones.

They won't, it's too much great lore.

As Primaris become widespread it's natural for people to want legendary heroes to lead them, especially the new hobbyists.

Archived