8th Edition: Zeal Rising

d3m01iti0n

Banjulhu, on 28 Feb 2017 - 03:00 AM, said:snapback.png

So in mid 2016 we found out that our Spiritual Liege had returned to GW.

In 2017 we have the Ultramarines and Grey Knights teaming up to save the Galaxy with Rowboat leading them.

Now I'm not suggesting any sort of connection, but if we see writing indicating the Ultramarine geneseed is superior or other chapters' are divergent and or mutated, the Black Templar get ground into the dirt and the story has Marshal Marshall Amalrich gushing over Robotnand claiming that he is the best ever, then we will know what has transpired.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is our "Spiritual Liege"?

The picture is of Mat Ward.

However, he is not our Spiritual Liege. If any can make that claim it would be A-D-B or McNeill.

It'd be AD-B. He singlehandedly changed the way Templar players modeled their marines :lol: Also Helsreach has become basically a holy tome to us.

sorry for the super blurry image, but the black Templar are on ultramar in book 3. This is from the the warhammer community page, top right corner where celestine is at, you can see the Marshal that led the BT on cadia.

GS3-4-500x313.jpg

I read where there was only one Black Templar survivor from the Cadia Crusade, and it was that guy! *Adelard I thought was his name? (not 100%?)

Edit: Amalrich. 

Hm, didn't the BT split in the Webway with only some going to Ultramar? It's weird, have faith in Him On The Golden Throne and see in the book, Brethren.

Also, Amalrich's Crusade is concurrent with Armageddon and Grimaldus and many other Crusades. It's but a splinter of us gone,

+ Their sacrifice remembered, the Crusade Eternal +

Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking .... this place isn't the only place where I heard someone say the Black Templars were wiped out at Cadia! I correct them that as far as I know there were other crusades going on elsewhere?

Hm, didn't the BT split in the Webway with only some going to Ultramar? It's weird, have faith in Him On The Golden Throne and see in the book, Brethren.

Also, Amalrich's Crusade is concurrent with Armageddon and Grimaldus and many other Crusades. It's but a splinter of us gone,

Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking .... this place isn't the only place where I heard someone say the Black Templars were wiped out at Cadia! I correct them that as far as I know there were other crusades going on elsewhere?

As a chapter no they weren't wiped out, but the Templars who were on cadia were apparently all killed. But yeah, there are still multiple other crusades going on in other parts of the galaxy.

Yeah no way we were all wiped out. Hell,  Helbrecht wasn't even there. No one of any REAL importance was present. I don't understand how we are all wiped out, i thought in the webway the groups split up. But perhaps I'm incorrect in that? And what killed us in the webway? I haven't read the 2nd book.

It's just a shame that Helsreach and Blood and Fire were decanonised (ignoring that as novels they are not really canonical to begin with) during 6th ed when the Templar became full on followers of the Imperial Creed in the Space Marine codex.

Yeah no way we were all wiped out. Hell,  Helbrecht wasn't even there. No one of any REAL importance was present. I don't understand how we are all wiped out, i thought in the webway the groups split up. But perhaps I'm incorrect in that? And what killed us in the webway? I haven't read the 2nd book.

Well, my interpretation would be that the rest of the Templars simply died during the fighting against Black Legion on Ultramar before Roboute was successfully "resurrected". So by the time he was resurrected and gathered his groupies to go to Terra, all Templars but Amalrich had died in battle.

What ACTUALLY happened... well, we shall see soon enough.

It may be that only amalrich survived to reach the end of the GS3 book on terra. It only said only he survived. It never said yet where everyone died.

That's exactly it.

"By this point" is explicitly what is said, all the remains of Almarich's crusades are gone. That means they fight and die throughout book 3, somewhere between Guilliman being awakened and deciding to go to Terra, nothing shameful there.

On a related note, looking at the Cypher model, who's thinking of converting one to make a super badass lone wolf type character for their army ?

Well, as I understood it:

A bunch of Black Templars fought and died on Cadia. Those remaining were one of the last to evac as the planet crumbled.

As they traversed the webway, around half stayed behind to fight a rearguard and allow the bulk of the imperial survivors to escape. A typically dornian stubborn last-stand.

So what would happen next?

By the time we reach GS3, there are no doubt substantially less than half of the crusade, and they probably do something similar again - fight against suicidal odds to ensure the primarch/celestine survive or something.

The rear guard action actually takes place a few hours before the imperials make contact with the eldars. But that boils down to the same thing.

On a side note, and i think someone already pointed it out, this means that Almarich purposefully sent a black sword knowing it would be lost. Seems like a gamble considering they are limited in number.

Your think the writer even remembered about the Black Sword?

A Champion is now a rare thing to happen, suddenly they have one that is basically fodder off screen.

No matter how you want to spin it it was a poor show.

Eh, just a scrappy bit of writing I guess. There are and have always been quite a few contradictions between black library, codex and campaign books. For a Crusade who has essentially pledged itself to Celestine as a vessel of the Emperor's immortal will, sacrificing their champion and their black sword could simply demonstrate their dauntless commitment to their goal. You know, 'even if we have to spend the next thousand years killing chaos fools until we find that sword again, it's worth it!'

If ultimately every last Black Templar of that crusade will end up selling their lives dearly, then perhaps the question is moot?

I'm not going to get too hung up on the details, we all know the Imperium is rife with half-truths and propaganda. Heck, the Imperium at large thinks we are a codex-adherent, if occasionally belligerent chapter! Goes to prove how little they really know about our workings. ;)

I'm more of the "oh, these other 1500 Templars? They all died during rear guard action at Cadia adn whoever was left, fell during fighting xenos raiders in the Webway. Yeah. We all saw that - right, Brothers? Yeah, those xenos raiders. Right..." ;)

Black Templars died fighting Chaos on Cadia, ensuring those that needed to, escaped it's destruction. Black Templars died on an ice moon ensuring those that needed to, escaped to the webway. Black Templars died on Macragge ensuring those that needed to, could awake Guilliman. Black Templars died in Guillimans charge accross Macragge, ensuring those that needed to could make the journey to the Sol system.

A lone Black Templar stands with Guilliman to ensure he reaches Terra. 

We have kicked chaos butt through out this trio of books. We have a singular hero travelling to the Sol system with one the galaxies greatest heroes.

(Not read the third book yet, but info is taken from the white dwarf.)

I don't think we will get a new model soon, we have the bits and the rules to make any kind of Marshall we want.

I can see a Formation in this new book with us in it. Even if it's just Amalrich or a Crusader squad.

If ultimately every last Black Templar of that crusade will end up selling their lives dearly, then perhaps the question is moot?

"Life is the Emperor's currency. Spend it well. "

I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same thing they did on the Gods of Mars book by Graham McNeill there was a part there where they went Hot Potato with the Black Sword passing it along to whoever was still left alive so that it won't ever go to non-black hands... it was still lost in the end with only 1 Templar survivor teleporting out of there, but the entire planet exploded taking the Sword with it... seems familiar?

It might turn out that Amalrich, last of the Cadian Crusade, lone representative of Dorn to witness the return of Guilliman to have the Black Sword with him instead... with his entire Crusade dead, it now falls to him to carry the Black Sword back to the Eternal Crusader to await another Emperor's Champion... could be as simple as that...

Black Templars died fighting Chaos on Cadia, ensuring those that needed to, escaped it's destruction. Black Templars died on an ice moon ensuring those that needed to, escaped to the webway. Black Templars died on Macragge ensuring those that needed to, could awake Guilliman. Black Templars died in Guillimans charge accross Macragge, ensuring those that needed to could make the journey to the Sol system.

A lone Black Templar stands with Guilliman to ensure he reaches Terra

You say he stands with Guilliman, I say he watches over him to make sure he doesn't try and usurp the Emperor again. ;)

Archived