8th Edition: Zeal Rising

d3m01iti0n

Amalrich struck me as an "expendable" character from the beginning. If they had killed of grimaldus or helbrecht, there would be a real worry of a crusade to nottingham with more ZEAL than any could handle. The size of his crusade or even if they had an emperor's champion is not mentioned thus far- all I have read is about the stubborn marines in black who don't believe in pity, remorse, or fear. I read about the kind of Zeal that inspires sacrifice in the face of hopelessness. The kind of Zeal that inspires those who despair and fear for their lives. If the templars all die, it is their actions, their sacrifice, their responses - that is what I will remember of the gathering storm.

No templar in these books is fallen to chaos, no templar is fearful or cowardly. GW is well aware of what makes a templar. Fanatical ZEAL is what makes a templar.

TLDR: Black Templars were the perfect chapter for the role given to them in the story. What other chapter would have marines so stoically fight to the end?

No templar in these books is fallen to chaos, no templar is fearful or cowardly. GW is well aware of what makes a templar. Fanatical ZEAL is what makes a templar.

TLDR: Black Templars were the perfect chapter for the role given to them in the story. What other chapter would have marines so stoically fight to the end?

Imperial Fists, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Salamanders, Iron Hands, Blood Angels (possibly furiously fight to the end rather than stoically but that's semantics). The only reason the Ultramarines are not on this list is because the narrative normally is bent over backwards to never put them in a position to need to die gloriously.

Who can sacrifice themselves in the most glorious manner is a hobby for most Imperials (go go grimdark). It's actually probably easier to make a list of who in the Imperial war machine would not stoically fight to the end.

Caiphas Cain, one or two Guard regiments and some Inquisitors... thats about it

According to recent developments, it means that were done.

I am currently not expecting anything coming our way.

There's still DUTY to be done, Templar. Off yer arse and keep Crusadin', make papa Sigismund proud.

All I saw from the Bell of lost souls spoilers amounts to "The emperor gets a text to speech device is now canon"

I'd be okay with this  being the case if it meant the universe became self aware and started mocking itself.

Which won't happen sadly.

According to recent developments, it means that were done.

We still have an ongoing Crusade on Armageddon (the end of the 3rd war was retconned, right?).

He meant in terms of the possibility of new rules and models etc. Because the "marines pt 2 electric boogaloo" rumour monger said that any future space marine stuff will be few and far between.

I'm pretty new to the 40K universe. Is the concept of Marines 2.0 something that's been around for a while?

No, Marines are the pinnacle of human engineering in 40k and are supposed to be the Elite of the Imperium's armies, this "Marine 2.0" is a new development.

You know... what with all the talk of more Primarchs likely to come, if Dorn ever does come back, who wants to bet that while he will somehow additionally boost CT:IF, CT:BT will be left in the dust? :P

Anyway, what I've seen of BT story-wise in GS leaks-wise (don't have any of the books yet) isn't all that bad, but in general I'm in kind of a slump with the army, I guess you could say. It's hard to get excited about anything especially rules-wise*. And since they are/were my primary army and I've spent a whole lotta cash & time on them it kinda drains excitement away from the other armies too (having SoB+SoS+AC+Skitarii+IF/CF+Orks in the pipeline). Haven't painted any in three weeks again. And if this "Marine 2.0" is happening like it seems to, that's even worse. It reminds me of the constant one-upping of the T-Rex in the Jurassic Park movies, just no fun at all!

* and as for rules, it's the rules and balance in general that's quite off-putting. I'm holding out hope 8th would make things better, but it seems unlikely unless they really do revamp every codex alongside it, which I'm not holding my breath on, and that could of course turn ugly too.

Imperial Fists, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Salamanders, Iron Hands, Blood Angels (possibly furiously fight to the end rather than stoically but that's semantics). The only reason the Ultramarines are not on this list is because the narrative normally is bent over backwards to never put them in a position to need to die gloriously.

You like aside from that time our entire 1st Company got killed by 'Nids? tongue.png

----

I don't know about GSIII, but I think the Triumvirate box theme could be used to give the Templars some love in future, especially relating to Armageddon (and Ghazghkull Margaret Thatcher's five million ships). For example, I could see a pretty cool "Triumvirate of Armageddon":

- New Helbrecht

- New Yarrick

- Tu'Shan or some Steel Legion character.

If the Gods were very good, then we might even get a "Triumvirate of the Waaagh!" with Primork-sized Ghazghkull, Makari, and Orkimedes to fight with them!

--

But more seriously - why would the GS fluff mean anything to the Templars? The Templars live to Crusade. They live to Crusade when the Imperium is winning on every front and they live to Crusade when the Imperium is facing its darkest hours. When the Imperium's bells are ringing hoarse for victory, then the Templars must fight to the death because to not do so would be to let others take the burden that the Templars should rightly bear. When the Imperium is in the depths of failure and teetering on the brink of collapse, then the Templars must fight to the death because the Imperium needs them. The BT don't need a new reason to go and fight the enemies of the Emperor, it is what they do no matter the cost or the situation.

Guilliman or not, Ghazghkull needs dealt with. Ynnari or not, Amalrich needs avenged. St Celestine or not, someone needs to follow-up that business with the Ophidium Gulf.

TL;DR: The thought process of Black Templars looks like this, and nothing in the GS fluff will change that.

---

Dorn might come back, but he's better off dead from a narrative perspective, in my opinion. The primarch of duty did his duty even unto death, after which some traitors chopped him up and denied him a glorious burial, but it didn't matter because he had done his duty and duty is its own reward. Having him the be either: tortured for 10k years in the Eye or run off to direct the Custodes would seem to ruin that story.

Love that clock face.

Brother Hectar, what time is it. 

Why, it's Crusade time Brother Jenkins.

Good!    LEEEEEERRRRROOOOOYYYYY JJJJEEEEENNNNKKKIIINNNSSS!!!!!!

To be honnest though, it'll probably go more like :

Brother Hectar, what ti-

LEEEEEERRRRROOOOOYYYYY JJJJEEEEENNNNKKKIIINNNSSS!!!!!!

So now that I've read Rise of the Primarch, I'm feeling a little better. In truth, I did a CTRL+F search for "Templar" as soon as I opened the E-Book... biggrin.png

From a rules, formation, etc. standpoint I still GW missed a massive opportunity, but from a fluff standpoint, there are some silver linings and cool moments to be found in the narrative. There are some mild spoilers, so check them out at your own risk.

• The Black Templar had a major hand in the restoration of a freaking primarch; probably one of the biggest moments in the lore ever.
    • There are multiple mentions at how much Amalrich hates dealing with xenos, including a moment where he and Greyfax exchange a look communicating "If any of these xenos, "saints" or mechanicum folks try anything, we will join with the UM and shoot them.
    • The battle in Guilliman's stasis chamber has Amalrich and a handful of sword brothers holding their own and kicking a$$ alongside the likes of Calgar, a Grey Knight Grandmaster, Ultramarines honor guard, etc. Basically, we are the only standard marines in the fight and we were "fighting atop a pile of dead Black Legion marines." Noice!
    • I'm inclined to agree with the ideas posted above that this isn't the last time we'll see the Templars in the fluff. I know this is an overly optimistic take, but I'm hoping they wanted to involve us in this supplement to stoke interest before they change theaters of war and return to Ghazghkull's giant WAAGH (There is literally an astral missive tease about him in the book). It seems natural that they pull in all the major conflicts occurring around the Imperium, and there is no other chapter more suited to a throwdown with orks than us. Considering our sprues sold like hot cakes, hopefully that has communicated the idea they are worth investing time and effort in as a Chapter.
    • What other second founding chapter has got ANY supplement love besides us? Hell, we've even come out better than the Imperial fists, Salamanders, etc.

Archived