Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

Thanks,

I've been requested to provide Scale for the Emperor Titan. Unfortunately the legs are not attached to the pelvis, in point of fact the upper leg segment has yet to be designed. But one lower leg is avail so for reference we can compare it to a standard Space Marine Trooper and to a Warlord Titan that I just happen to have.....

V4kBmmrl.jpg

One of these day I'm going to have to break out my green screen.

This next shot is from ground level 

BvHyUA4l.jpg

V4kBmmrl.jpg

TTFN

Never thought I'd see the day a Warlord Titan would be considered "tiny." Even at this stage, your work is impressive in its scale and ambition. I wish you luck with its completion.

No one is more distressed than me to have my Warlord diminished. That is the reason I had put off making an Emperor Titan until, that is, I found an Emperor model that fairly screamed to be made. The icing on the cake was the most formidable Emperor Titan head and faceplate design ever. :D

Thanks for the reply,

Legs Akimbo:

It's time to put my theories to the test. Yesterday began designing what I hope will be a movable leg system that will use friction locks to maintain the pose.

The PVC pipe couplings have "O" ring compression gaskets that will lock the upper thigh in place yet allow me to change the position in seconds. 

xZLeTkMl.jpg

The Lower Thigh to knee joint will be trickier and require a screw driver compression joint the same as on my Warlord. 

3yoV86ml.jpg

The biggest problem and one I just solved today in a fit of serendipity is how to make the legs sprawl out into the classic Titan pose. 

iQn5Ci2l.jpg

That will require a  homemade gimbal assembly that I may have worked out in theory. It remains to be seen if the material is up to it. 

Looking at these images I can just see my loyal readers cringing...........

I'm putting a lot of hope on flimsy styrene components. :biggrin.:

Edited by Blackadder

Strictly Styrene on this one baby............. With steel bolts for axles of course. :D

Curing a rainy day:

It's a far cry from this..... 

3yoV86ml.jpg

to this.....

VUSn5xal.jpg

and even further to this.

lij9Cbil.jpg

bpd8MlQl.jpg

It is my hope to have fully articulated legs on this beastie although I will not go to the effort I went to with my Warlord giving the legs a "Toe in" and "Toe Out" capability. That was much too much and although workable I have never employed that feature when posing my Warlord.

TxcnBfkl.jpg

Finally I can get a glimpse of what I have been working toward for these past few weeks; with the hip connect scaled to size, and the upper leg finally attached at the knee. I can now make some inroads towards an actual knee structure. I am now thinking of cutting the knee joint into the upper tier of the greave. which I believe will look much better.

Onward and Upward as they say............... 

Ha! Well I wanted to set up the model to see if the sizes were in scale but the upper torso was too heavy to suspend over the lower torso and legs. I instead Photo shopped a quick composite to present here. First the image of the torso and the legs and then the green screen composite. The legs right now are like a house of cards so mounting the body on them is not possible.

y09kMSGl.jpg

pRzSZonl.jpg

As I said, the model thus far stands just over a meter tall (39.36 inches); a lot bigger than I had originally planned.

That gap !

Seriously, don't you think the hips are a bit too wide ? Or maybe you plan to add some structural stuff to reinforce the hips ? At this point the hip joint doesn't seem that strong to me.

Anyway, crazy job ! Following your progress is very satisfacting and fascinating at the same time, this beast is building way faster than I would've think.

Oh Ye Of Little Faith. 

Rome was not built in a day and neither will my version of an Imperator Titan. In my headlong rush to give a complete figure of upper torso and lower torso and legs/feet all of which were accomplished in a few short weeks BTW; I neglected to provide that which ties all together as if I would ever be satisfied with a couple of PVC tubes.

I suppose it remains to reveal the finished product so as to not be castigated as a uninspired bounder.

So here once again is the model art from which I am drawing inspiration.......

https://i.imgur.com/jlKKwDk.jpg

jlKKwDkl.jpg

Note that the pelvic area is sufficiently enclosed in Gothic architecture and is bulky enough to provide a substantial base for the upper works.

One caveat I feel must be addressed is the stumpy appearance of the above images legs that seem to be a component of many of these outsized titans including the FW Warlord model. The legs on my Titan will be a bit more elegant and elongated.

Damn, you keep making me want to build something BIG. A toddler could almost wear it as a Halloween costume. Glorious.

I'm sure it goes without saying, overbuild and/or reinforce every hinge and joint.

Given the size of the feet and the span between them, as long as it's rigid in the final build it should be reasonably stable. You should consider filling the feet with sand or some other weighted material to lower the center of gravity further. My only worry, which I'm sure you're considering, is all that material on top having the potential to make it quite top heavy and unstable.

This is already epic and it's only getting started.

Thanks again for sharing.

Reinforce and Detail Legs:

Today I began to strengthen the legs with the Armour and detailed the corner spires... 

Bl6BkMIl.jpg

and ran out of plastic. Ha!

3cOzYYul.jpg

I'll have to make a run tomorrow.

Stallmate

My local hobby supplier has let me down and I cannot get the large amount of strip styrene of a particular size I require. Normally I cut my own but even that did not produce enough.

bjzZa47l.jpg

But every setback has a silver lining as it forced me to work on detail I was putting off 'til later. Which ultimately was most gratifying.

It also relieved me of the tedious aspect of making eight of these constructs plus I am catching up on current Dinosaur theory.

Looking More Like A Wedding Cake

Everyday

5FR5BVhl.jpg

A pains taking week and a lot of work but does it really reflect it; not so much.

The spires, Minarets, whatever mimic the 3D work by measurement but the spire points seem a bit squat.....

z4mddtVl.jpg

But in this image they look okay. Go figure.

Anyway I'll try sanding them down some more. After all I have almost a millimeter to play with.

This is such an enjoyable thread to follow. That last shot of the Marine for scale is great. Also its cool to see how close you attempt to stay to the existing source material and at the same time how you add your own design elements with the smaller detail work. Its funny how the leg has its own architecture that can be seen separately from the torso. What I mean is the leg looks like a church. I think with the Warlord, the legs are massive slabs of armor, the whole model is a massive slab of armor (don't get me wrong, the Warlord is amazing too). But with the Imperator having all these different architectural elements to it, it's really cool to see it taking shape. And you haven't even started the cathedral on the top!

Edited by Radiation