Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

The Basic Structure:

Is pretty much delineated. Now it just remains to fill the void left by raising the superstructure platform about four inches.I already have ideas about adding another deck to the interior and with access to the rear of the titan in the mode of the FW Warlord That should fill the space nicely.

mu1o5UNl.jpg

I spent the past couple of days building another pair of Aquilae for the rear portion of the Cathedral platform just because it's there.

1M68If6l.jpg

The rear panel was quite an effort to design especially so the whole thing can be disassembled readily. 

EOYSz7zl.jpg

Right now it just hangs on the back by friction but eventually it will have locks to hold it to the main structure. 

vgbEHwol.jpg

Amazingly it's less than a millimeter off symmetry wise.

Coming Together:

In a burst of optimism I have a feeling that this is somehow coming together.

nfo05eHl.jpg

In this 360° panorama you can get an idea of the magnitude of this construction

bGrP0MVl.jpg

Awright so a few images are missing but you get the idea.

b0uKOsEl.jpg

About 13 pounds; more than my Warlord

She's Got Legs

Well she's gonna have legs but we have to start with a single step (Groan!) 

First the basics.... The Greaves

4gfzf1Q.jpg

I'm using a 3D image provided by joazzz2 on Deviant art for my inspiration

One of the problems with the representation of many Imperial Titans I notice, especially those that CoD for detailing bitz, is the panels are not truncated. This causes a boxy square look that is æsthetically unpleasing. 

ogerbBtl.jpg

So to begin with we are going to sneak up on the correct angle incrementally..... 

DcZU4mkl.jpg

B3LNxN5l.jpg

I'm only going to do one this time in case this doesn't work out.

You've gotta get these grids

If you're gonna build an Imperator.

These are a godsend for this type of construction.

JoaSwcPl.jpg

Tipping the greave to match the 3D image brings home what this skeletal structure will eventually become. 

dQWAmgwl.jpg

I just hope they are not too big or too small

the Goldilocks conundrum......... :D

yQQJiUNl.jpg

Image taken earlier today leaves me a bit up in the air regarding proper sizing. Then I thought too small. but they've become so massive. 

We might be talking over a meter and a third tall when finished.

I've already played around with the greaves quite a bit combining the best features and adding modifications I deemed necessary (But nothing is etched in stone I hasten to add.) 

CblbgPol.jpg

First I do not hold with the Space Marines rattling around in the greaves trying to stand on a shifting floor with every step the Titan takes plus when the model is static say on a shelf I plan to display him in the classic Emperor pose with legs slightly spread, greaves at an angle to the ground/shelf for maximum stability. 

e1ZsFfjl.jpg

A pose I'm sure a working Emperor would take when firing at an enemy. When you speak of Infantry I presume you mean Space Marines.... I'm not up on Titan lore but I was under the impression that they transported armoured combatants (?) 

VD6NAQgl.jpg

I plan to have my Marines held in place with harnesses as in the 'Drop Pod' model which would be the only way they could survive the walking jostling. 

bXAM7gb.jpg

Once the Marines prepare to disembark the Titan can assume a stance that is more conducive to discharging the personnel.  

I've always felt the main body of the Emperor titan held all the business end of the of the vehicle; Command deck, Engineering, Reactors, Machinery. 

The top hamper being reserved the worship of the Machine God Omnissiah or Deus Mechanicus the supernatural entity worshipped by the Tech-priests and other servants of the Adeptus Mechanicus as the embodiment and bestower of all knowledge and technology in the universe.

Other than the manufacture of the deck I've done little in planning the superstructure which will be a project almost as big as what has already been done. I do have a Skitarii crew and tech priests and Belisarius Cawl to inhabit the deck once completed but all that is far off even in the planning stage. :D

Right now I have the model sitting on the floor of my den. Even without legs it's two feet tall and I'm wondering what to do with it when it's done. We might be talking over a meter and a third tall when finished.

Typicaly I would expect the transport to be used by whoever is ordered to get in there, Marines or Imperial guard, most commonly it'll be mechanicus forces and so Skitarii. Now on a beast this big and with the fusion reactors they run on it wouldn't surprise me if they use gravity plating and similar tech to that used in spaceships. Used as motion dampers for the leg fortresses to really dull down the movement it's probably no worse that being on a ship it sea.
After all a Thunderhawk or smaller shuttles have no problems in zero G so this thing can easily support it such Tech.

Mind with both marines and Skitarii there is the simple option that they mag lock boots to the deck plates and stiffen up their Armour/Cybernetics, otherwise a bench and seat belts in the crew compartment is likely the most luxury any guardsmen can expect.

those legs are coming along nicely and looking forward to see them skinned.

Mistakes Were Maid

Fortunately the materials are relatively inexpensive and much of the material was salvageable.

omRVt7Pl.jpg

My perception of the bulk of the greaves was seriously flawed and until I started on the second level structure was this apparent. The corner spires  were too bulky and would have necessitated cutting down the central second level structure making the flying buttresses too small as well and perhaps unworkable. The biggest flaw was my persistent insistence on using the Sanctum Imperialis beautiful double doors as a focal point of the greaves This may or may not be workable......

OIYJP0ml.jpg

Anyway I'm back on track with a minimum of hand-wringing and downtime. I frequently make errors taking the time to correct them is always a priority with me because good enough is Never Good Enough.

The Beat Goes On:

Before I get too far ahead I should keep you all apprised of recent developments.

By the slow method of how I build some thoughts enter my mind as to how to make this Titan more interesting.

0kRs1V0l.jpg

It came to me that the front of the greaves is too bland and to add more interest I decided to recess the assault doors.  

hbCx0xBl.jpg

I also began work on the top coppola, the area immediately below the knee, These greave may prove to be an interesting focal point of this titan.

O5JZJCrl.jpg

While working I happened to glance a the seeming pile of rubble in the corner of my workshop. A sad array of unfinished Emperor Titan parts that bear little resemblance to what may prove to be my best effort to date.........

Resting On One's Laurels:

Before I get too smug and self-satisfied I just repaired the interior of my Warlord. and I was surprised at the lengths my OCD drove me three or so years ago. As I contemplate doing an interior for my Emperor Titan I thought I'd refresh myself on my previous construction. 

Over the years the glue had lost it's grip on the aluminum impregnated wall coatings I used for much of this model inside and out and pieces were rattling around inside. I found some two decks down in the Engineering bay.

Anyway once all put together I fired up the interior lighting (surprisingly it all functioned) and took these images so I don't have to disassemble it again until when and if I decide to upgrade the paint.

So here's five pictures of the Command deck and Tech Priest balcony replete with Altar to the Machine God, Omnissiah.  

5UBXtI5l.jpg

Starting with the egress to the Command deck through the entry port.

HPVuC9Kl.jpg

I don't know if I've posted these or not other than in the construction phase. Most certainly not on Facebook or any of the new forums I frequent. 

hoygzJWl.jpg

The upper left Gallery and a view of the Altar

oUGghoPl.jpg

and the right Gallery.......

A8Oame4l.jpg

I've gotta straighten that railing.............

Never mind the railing Blackadder; What about that bloody great hole in the deck?

Time For A Proportion Check:

One of the hazards of working without a plan is you lead yourself down a primrose path only to find the portion you are working on does not fit with the rest of the project. 

I have to estimate the height of the finished Emperor Titan and then figure out how tall each of the components need to be to give me a proper proportion.

I'm figuring the completed Emperor will now be a meter and a quarter tall since the lower legs fill the space between the feet and the hip. That leaves virtually no room for a thigh.

KcGi4jTl.jpg

As it stands right now without the superstructure it is 33 inches (0.8382 meter) tall. and it still needs about 6 inches of thigh length minimum even if I put the knee joint directly above the topmost section of the greave.

qhOstA3l.jpg

Looks like a lot of people will be getting their wish that I should make it taller. Right now I'm figuring 240 scale feet (73.152 Scale Meters). 80 feet taller than the Warlord.

I wonder if you shouldn't hold off of the greeves and build the structure of  the legs first. I guess that I'd be afraid that the geeves wouldn't be able to hold the weight of the rest of the build, and would start to collapse under the weight. Also think that if you get the outside finished first, the whole leg will look/feel off/ out of proportion/ not mechanically viable to you, and your just going to have to start over on the legs.

I wonder if you shouldn't hold off of the greeves and build the structure of  the legs first. I guess that I'd be afraid that the geeves wouldn't be able to hold the weight of the rest of the build, and would start to collapse under the weight. Also think that if you get the outside finished first, the whole leg will look/feel off/ out of proportion/ not mechanically viable to you, and your just going to have to start over on the legs.

i'm going to build the legs hollow so I can put in what I interpret as the harness chamber for the 40 odd assault troops that will be housed in each greave. I will use Space Marines and drop pod harnesses. The fortress greaves have already proven their mettle as before even skinned with 0.040 thousands inch styrene they have borne the weight of my 20 lb dumbbells which I use for pressure to cure the glue joints. I've already passed the point where my fears have been allayed; the greaves will serve as they are and with the considerable bulking up still to go I think they will suit the bill sizewise. Besides the more I can add to them the stronger they become.

I appreciate your concern.

i'm going to build the legs hollow so I can put in what I interpret as the harness chamber for the 40 odd assault troops that will be housed in each greave. I will use Space Marines and drop pod harnesses. The fortress greaves have already proven their mettle as before even skinned with 0.040 thousands inch styrene they have borne the weight of my 20 lb dumbbells which I use for pressure to cure the glue joints. I've already passed the point where my fears have been allayed; the greaves will serve as they are and with the considerable bulking up still to go I think they will suit the bill sizewise. Besides the more I can add to them the stronger they become.

I appreciate your concern.

Most Excellent!