Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies and especially the suggestion about the Ferratonic Furnace. Coincidentally I just picked one up last week. it'll either figure prominently in the Imperator of in the Maintenance Hangar. 

It's been some time since I posted but I have been working; mainly on the interior which must be done before I design the back structure. So from where we left off I had just made the Command deck balcony so here is the forward bulkhead complete with blast doors, and pocket passage doors to the cockpit.

20QX1Ybl.jpg

This design is a copy of the Warlord Blast door assembly slightly enlarged and more functional plus I had a lot more room to work with so the design is more refined.

SvqDEBxl.jpg

It's amazing how much more roomy this Emperor is compared to the Warlord.

rbmgnaFl.jpg

Head and Neck Passage Assembly

The Emperor Titan head and neck passage assembly basically accomplished and ready to install as a component although the detailing is far from completed.

2nbtjONl.jpg

Overall shot of assembly

9tMzz90l.jpg

Interior Bulkhead looking toward passage way to Cockpit.

0alziBRl.jpg

Neck installed into forward panel; visor and helmet removed for clarity.

dWr7z0Nl.jpg

Interior view of passage to Cockpit from Command Deck Upper Gallery.

rZ1csGCl.jpg

Plan Ahea

d

Horrors, I ran out of CoD Manufactorum Bitz.

I have become accustomed to accessing my CoD bitz box for whatever details I need so it came as a great surprise last evening when I found I had exhausted the larder.

Fortunately ebay had a kit at a reasonable price and it will be delivered next month on the fifth. Whew! 

YdZ1rf5l.jpg

Meanwhile I have plenty to occupy my time working around the omission.

Greetings Blackadder,

First of all, kudos for your brilliant work and eye for detail. 

With regards to the interior of the leg bastions, WD 178 "Into The Maelstrom" article had a short

fluff piece which gave a description of some sorts. 

Some snippets that might prove useful to you :

"He stood with a dozen other Tech-guards gazing out of the arched window-slits of the bastion."

"Kurgen grabbed on to the fluted pillar to the side of the window slit, planted his magnetized boot

clamps in position and let his lasrifle dangle in one hand as he had been taught in basic training..."

"The bastion settled into place sixty meters ahead of its previous position with a reverberating

clang, hydraulics squealing as they pushed its armoured stairways into the ground to anchor it."

Also, if you're thinking about including stained glass windows, this link might be useful :

http://rlyonsart.blogspot.be/2013/05/warhammer-40k-stained-glass.html

Regards,

Old-Four-Arms

Well enough procrastinating, it's a dirty job but I must address it. The rear of the Titan has to be interlocking with somewhat hidden seams but also allow the decks to be drawn out easily to view the interior. Yet the whole thing must be pinned together so the deck don't fall out when handled.

it's going to be hard to see these pieces in place so here they are unassembled. 

q2gvkMSl.jpg

Assembled and in place rear view 

E3VjA8pl.jpg

and side view.

jIzZ6Cwl.jpg

Gluing them on as I type.

Wanna See Everybody From Behind

So the first step of building the back elevation is roughed out and two more decks to go.

E2WkIJjl.jpg

I've no idea what these compartments do. I do know there are louvered exhaust ports on either side of the center structure.

oYYjkKfl.jpg

Interior detail is lining up satisfactorily.

YJGLJyol.jpg

In A Rears

The rear panels are finally underway and the coordination with the interior is satisfactory. Everything is lining up as if it were planned.

ccQ0A0bl.jpg

The two side chambers have their reinforcing floors and ceilings

77LMP9xl.jpg

Next up, the engineering compart rear wall and the completion of the pelvic /hip plate

lYJUbHfl.jpg

I keep thinking I can grasp the scale of this build from the images, but no. This is just obnoxiously massive... and glorious.

I'm sure you've mentioned, but I'm going to be lazy and just confirm, you're using plastic grating/grill inserts for ceiling light fixtures as the structural grid material?

Thanks as always for documenting this kind of project. Damn, it makes me want to build something biiig.

I keep thinking I can grasp the scale of this build from the images, but no. This is just obnoxiously massive... and glorious.

I'm sure you've mentioned, but I'm going to be lazy and just confirm, you're using plastic grating/grill inserts for ceiling light fixtures as the structural grid material?

Thanks as always for documenting this kind of project. Damn, it makes me want to build something biiig.

Yes, fluorescent lighting lenses from Home Depot. And That's why I post :D

Problem:

When I built this Titan I raised the head off the Promenade deck because it looked too close and the function of the head to 'look' down was impeded.

CJWsRHPl.jpg

The artist had no such problem because he had the flexibility of adjusting the position of the head to suit his whim

RPAbOUsl.jpg

but in the real world that option is not available to me 

pZBtXrtl.jpg 

2PDAbIvl.jpg

So now I am in the position of filling 4 inches of space with extemporaneous Titan gobbledygook to fill this void :D

gALaVKPl.jpg

Such is the pitfalls of scratch building without a plan. :D

Rear Heat Exchanger and Exhaust Ports:

The waffle styrene panels are proving their worth. 

myADBwIl.jpg

The constructions I make are far more easy to build, stable, and true to square without having to resort to extreme measures in fabricating.

fHIE3GJl.jpg

These two shots of the assembly on the desk and mounted on the model demonstrate the durability of the construction.....

zrfZ33dl.jpg

Whereas before it resembled a house of cards.

ZCDY7Bol.jpg

It's really bulking out now isn't it. great job and the detail going on those new bit should be good.

do you have a link for the fluorescent lighting lenses? trying to source some in the UK. 

I know you don't have 'Home Depot' in the UK but here is a reference link.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/23-75-in-x-47-75-in-White-Egg-Crate-Styrene-Lighting-Panel-5-Pack-LP2448EGG-5/202653781

There should be something comparable in the UK.

Thar's Gold In Them Thar Hills...........

Of recyclable trash that is. 

I struck paydirt last month when I saw this discarded tv. Readymade  Static louvers says I for my Emperor Titan. 

yXTmFgM.jpg

All that needs be done is cut them out and install them.

slKIyuFl.jpg

It's worth a shot...........

Heat Exchangers Sheathed:

They look a tad large but I'm hoping once the rest of the stern/back whatever is made they will blend in.

GhLBwMKl.jpg

I was too conservative in my estimate of the size of the rear deck but no matter I can spline on an addition.

d5ILOFAl.jpg

Now for the side intakes.

Impressive progress! I like the recycling idea and hope it works for you! I've done some with my orks and have found that a lot of plastics are both hard and brittle, which makes it tough to cut and prone to snapping rather than making a precise cut. You've probably forgotten more about scratch building than I know and probably have a good approach to overcome this. Looking forward to seeing it take shape!