Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

Studio Silvernale Here try this out:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/248599-blackadders-warlord-wip/

BA a question that I've been wondering, are you going to do detailed interiors for the lower leg bastions and the upper  buildings/ chapel/ gunplacements?

I'd like to attempt it but I haven't a clue on what the interior of the legs are supposed to look like. Are the troops stacked up like cordwood? or sitting as in a train passenger car?, are they standing on multilevels?, hanging on straps? Are they armoured as space marines? or in Cadian combat fatigues?  

Most Emperor titans appear to have a set of stairs and double doors in the front of the greaves. do they march out down the steps? 

Silvermare, I'm sure I have a Warlord log on this forum somewhere. Yeah of course, thanks Mud Duck as for MOD (not sure I know what that is but you do need an OCD.

Edited by Blackadder

Most of the combat missions I've been on we were seated on benches in the back of a deuce and a half or a huey I can't see how that would work for 54 men in each greave. 

We need some expert advice. :biggrin.:

Well the manual sez that you can fit 13 combat troops and all their gear on the inside of a 113, and by god there's always the 'welcome' center at NTC (straddling the bench nuts to buts). If I remember right it's a covered area something like 20 x 50, 3/4 walls on three sides and a building on the fourth, no air movement and wouldn't you know, they squeezed the better part of a battalion for an hour or so of briefings on not messing with the tortoises and what nots. So where's there's a will.

I wonder what the effects on the human body would be riding in the leg of a Titan. Something in the area of a car wreck every minute or so?   

A couple of floors with hydraulic 'floating' pews mounted to the ceiling for easy storage, to get out of the way for disembarking/ embarking?

Or the classic subway bar and wrist strap, pack'em in tight, and that will keep them from moving about.

Edited by Mud Duck

The Space Marine pods have shoulder harnesses/restraints, that is why I asked about what the troops would be wearing. I'm presuming the SM style armour would provide environmental amenities and relieving facilities (ahem) Believe me you don't what to go into combat having to take a dump; anyway I've received a few good ideas so far and I appreciate it . Anyone else having so knowledge of this their input would be most welcome.

The Space Marine pods have shoulder harnesses/restraints, that is why I asked about what the troops would be wearing. I'm presuming the SM style armour would provide environmental amenities and relieving facilities (ahem) Believe me you don't what to go into combat having to take a dump; anyway I've received a few good ideas so far and I appreciate it . Anyone else having so knowledge of this their input would be most welcome.

Sooooo that's why spams have a square putt plate? There's a futuristic space toilet back there =D

Desperation Is the Mother Of Invention:

I won't boor you with the details of how I made these plugs. The first view should be self explanatory

TlWNUhXl.jpg

Instead I'll boor you with the why.

I've got these two side supports that will ultimately hold up the tophamper  

[bTW I weighed this beast this weekend and excluding the vise he weighs 12 pounds, (5.44311 Kilograms),(0.857143 stone), Twelve Pounds of STYRENE!]

Anyway that much weight will surely spread these walls especially since I will not be gluing them in place (I hope) so the problem is how do I lock them in place.

Once again the waffle light panel to the rescue.

N29ODWwl.jpg

I made plugs that will fit snugly into the waffle recesses.

heklFqnl.jpg

Naturally it would have been too much to expect that they would line up perfectly with the overhead deck so I attached a fudge factor plate to compensate for the misalignment. and glued the plug to the top of the side wall. (I won't go in to how exacting this was; especially for the first one :biggrin.: )

uhZpelql.jpg

Three more to go and I'll display the finished assembly. :biggrin.:
Edited by Blackadder

Fallen Into Place:

The four aligning plugs installed.

rkcrhfDl.jpg

Sorry for what appears to be repetitive images but there are the subtlest differences that entailed a lot of work that I feel I must apprise anyone following this thread aware. The aligning of the upper deck is most important for subsequent structures otherwise the model will become lopsided and sloppy.

FGxgtbZl.jpg

Note in particular the centering of the weapon yoke in the slot. Now that the sides are secure that arm is correctly brought to center.

NXLTpPzl.jpg

Now that the side panels are locked into place with the upper deck and the chest area I can proceed with the building of the interior and the rear of the titan.

Thanks for the reply,

A Weekend's Effort: 

Aside from my official duties I managed to find time to add some detail to this beast and attempt to refine a vexing discrepancy in my calculations. Note the adjustment of the cylinder trunnions.

uqAkjMbl.jpg

I still have to mount the magnets that will secure the piston end of the assemblies but I know I shall have to adjust the gap between the piston head and the armament yoke; hence the cutouts. 

WwKrLCwl.jpg

I still question the necessity for these hydraulics as they corrupt the clean lines of the model but I'll install the for the time being just to remain true to the prototype. The work will not be in vain as these cylinders can easily be adapted for the legs or ankles.

bvr37S2l.jpg
Edited by Blackadder

@Blackadder Why do jets on an Aircraft Carrier have hinges on the wings to fold them up? When they are flying there is no practical purpose to be able to fold the wings in half is there?

You know I've always wondered that about the carrier based Zeros. They had such a short section of folding wing it didn't seem practical to waste time and engineering on the designed space saving. 

Mitsubishi_A62M_Zero_USAF.jpg

http://www.warbirdphotographs.com/NavyBWZeros/A6M2-M21-154.jpg

You could be right but I'm not buying it. :biggrin.: According to the author; he just copied the Epic figure.

Edited by Blackadder

I still feel that like those wing there just isn't the manoeuvrability to make much difference to the Titan width by stowing. But with that massive ridged structure of the beam they are far better explained as stabilisers and vibration dampers to add additional absorption for every firing of the weapons and every gigantic bone shaking step.

Agreed. I would also rationalize them against the sheer weight of the weapon systems; like any leaver, the weight becomes greater the farther you are from the fulcrum. When at rest they would lower into a hanging position, lowering stress on the superstructure of the titan, perhaps making them easier to reach for maintenance. However, this will place the weapon systems far too close to the main body for actual combat use, so they are raised up into an active position to avoid things like secondary damage in the event of a catastrophic failure, or perhaps potential damage to the titan from simply using the weapon, like unavoidable concussion waves or excess heat from plasma discharges.

WhyLookLikeThis:

WwKrLCwl.jpg

When You.....Can Look.....Like This:

qO5Tq20l.jpg

I wasn't satisfied how the piston/snubbers/whatever, detracted from the sweeping elegance of the armament yoke yet rather than discard the whole concept I decided to play around a little.....

Aesthetically this looks better to me.

NJAn2ogl.jpg

When you are going to hydraulic systems that serve no purpose, at least they should look good; Right? :D

Please Yourself and You Please Everyone

As the say'n goes. There seems a bit of controversy about my departure for the iconic 3D prototype but I think this looks much better. 

jXTdCXwl.jpg

The side panels make more sense with this arrangement and it allows for a maintenance observation balcony that I think will add interest to the model plus the grander of the weapons mount yoke is undiminished.

KVnXAwbl.jpg

The dual actuators now have a purposeful appearance for what ever that may be.

FbDGRw4l.jpg

And disappear into the yoke to accomplish it.

Great work BA, the titan is looking good so far :thumbsup: One thing that keep bugging me is the hydraulics for the arms and the purpose of the gears on the end of the arms. I made a crude drawing of what I think would make the most sense.

Sorry, forget that, I cant get it from 3d paint to here.

Edited by Ezekkiel76

I had time to reflect on the gears when I made them and to me it seems they allow the weapon to remain level to the ground if the arms are raised and lowered. A sort of rack and pinion set up around a curved surface. I have toyed with the pinion gears being visible but that is a detail yet to be added as I really haven't done any of the fine detail as yet.

A Man A Plan

Whom I kidding, it's all serendipity.......

I've worked long and hard to reach this point this evening but these six images make it worth it. Every thing is falling into place including the three story engineering compartment with it's 15 foot ceilings.

4dmRD2wl.jpg

The fusion reactor will take up two of those decks.

The lower deck will open onto the platform under the head for the Adeptus Mechanicus Priests to supervise the battle a hundred feet above the fray

kkZa3fTl.jpg

The upper balcony and promenade with egress through the blast doors to the cockpit 

eKgx5FTl.jpg

Below another shot of the lower deck for scale

8KfEK7nl.jpg

The intermediate command deck where the tactical computers &etc will be displayed.

K5PU7Ahl.jpg

Finally an overall view of the three decks

mSlGEbXl.jpg

It's going to take a lot of bitz to clutter up all this space.

*Swoon* It's so... big! ("That's what she said!" - sorry, bad joke, but fitting!) Yep, it's going to take some serious effort to fill all that space with the kind of details I know you're going to put into it, but what a glorious interior it's going to be once it comes together. Truly, in this, you are being guided by the Omnissian and I can't think of a better servant of the machine god to make a project such as this become a reality. As always, it is truly a pleasure to watch the progress of such an ambitious project take form. Thank you sooo much for taking the time to document the process and let us all peek in on your workbench.

P.S. That is an absolutely perfect compromise to incorporate the hydraulic components into the 'arms' in a more streamlined way while not removing them. One of the major design elements that makes Warhammer 40k equipment look distinct is (many times) details that are actually a bit redundant and/or counter-intuitive; notable out of those are rivets and hydraulics. Done properly, they just add that final touch to the Warhammer 40k 'feel' of a model. So good.

Edited by Subtle Discord