Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

In a manner of speaking, yes. An outlay of $150 bucks in one swell foop is a serious matter (To me anyway.) Granted my overall outlay for material I cannot begin to calculate... must be a good percentage of a thousand dollars :wow: . but all that is spread over the course of a few years. :violin: 

It's a good thing hobbies are entertainment expenses. 

Witness the undeniable joy of making 96 of these detail pieces; HA! 

T0z69dpl.jpg

48 shown here but I know I'll probably need at least that many more later on. 

I streamlined the procedure by making an assembly line. I'd say these detail bits are about half done. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply.

Whew!

48 of these bad boys and they're only half done.

vWBqseRl.jpg

But finished enough to mount them on the corner bastions.

I just have to match them in threes to allow for minor discrepancies in size.

I just have to match them in threes to allow for minor discrepancies in size.

Would never have occurred to me. This probably explains why I don't have an Imperator in my house taller than my firstborn.

• 1 month later...

Raison d'être:

The business end of the Emperor Titan is it's massive arm weapons.

For too long I have put off finishing up these bad boys and not realizing the primary purpose of lengthening the legs. The guns were hanging too low and interfering with the hip joints or so I thought. In actuality the thighs were just too short.

xnnktDwl.jpg

Now we can see the preparation for the gatling cannon mount device which is greatly modified from the original mount bracket.

mbvRfdel.jpg

I've only just started the second gun mount but I thought it would be best to show it in the beginning stage.

Thanks for the reply.

Multi-Barrel Weapon:

I'm trying to rationalize a multi-barrel weapon that looks like a gatling gun but does not rotate.

Something like this:

FZhY4xvl.jpg

Let me know what you think. 

I don't even know what kind of projectile this thing shoots but judging by the end of the barrels the shot is oval. I'm not going there. I draw the line at an oval shot.

I like the idea of a rotating chamber and I'll keep that but I also prefer the weapon mount disk over the bracket mount seen below:

02FXuBUl.jpg

The Bracket mount just looks too plain and ugly.

Mlb4Ocnl.jpg

The top view looks Okay 

TzKJu5Yl.jpg

All in all, not a bad day's work.

I just have to rationalize the barrels and the cylinder arrangement.

Man, those weapons look good. The plasma gun especially looks really slick, great work. I agree with you on the bracket mount, something feels off about that for a Titan of this scale.

Keep it up, I love seeing updates to this thread

This looks wicked all around. the detail on the plasma gun looks insane.

I'm not sure what you mean with the bracket mount, so cannot comment on that part. I will note that the arm joint for the 'gatling gun' is behind the giant 'cog' in the picture, but you have put the giant 'cog' behind the joint. Is that on purpose?

This looks wicked all around. the detail on the plasma gun looks insane.

I'm not sure what you mean with the bracket mount, so cannot comment on that part. I will note that the arm joint for the 'gatling gun' is behind the giant 'cog' in the picture, but you have put the giant 'cog' behind the joint. Is that on purpose?

Man, those weapons look good. The plasma gun especially looks really slick, great work. I agree with you on the bracket mount, something feels off about that for a Titan of this scale.

Keep it up, I love seeing updates to this thread

The Bracket mount is the forked mockup on the left. I decided to go instead with the segmented drum hanger mounts that are on the two weapons. I borrowed the idea from the FW Warlord cannons. 

As for the weapon, it's a Hellstorm Cannon. A giant laser. I guess it wouldn't have to rotate, just fires the barrels in sequence so they don't overheat. Can also fire all at once for maximal destruction.

Oooooh, I've been looking for the name, well-spotted!

And if I recall, it was also fired the way you describe it in the Helsreach animated series

I like the picture and plan to incorporate many of it's features. I was recently apprised it is an energy weapon. And of course the scale is way off but the individual details are quite worthy.

Meanwhile:

I found some of my old images as well and decided to play around with one.

My old Photo Impact 13 program produced this in an hour or so:

I like the picture and plan to incorporate many of it's features. I was recently apprised it is an energy weapon. And of course the scale is way off but the individual details are quite worthy.

Meanwhile:

I found some of my old images as well and decided to play around with one.

My old Photo Impact 13 program produced this in an hour or so:

cngW4vM.jpg

That's just the targeting laser right? I mean if that was the main gun firing that couch should at the least be on fire, if not missing a big half round piece of the arm rest, ala the SDF's (Macross) main cannon or a Goku's kamehameha! and a couple of nice round holes across the house and maybe a neighbor or two. =)

That's just the targeting laser right? I mean if that was the main gun firing that couch should at the least be on fire, if not missing a big half round piece of the arm rest, ala the SDF's (Macross) main cannon or a Goku's kamehameha! and a couple of nice round holes across the house and maybe a neighbor or two. =)

I have to foreshorten the beam and add a target i.e. Stompa etc.

Not actually a couch but my work area

https://i.imgur.com/ZaMQa2Q.jpg

ZaMQa2Ql.jpg

suitably blurred. Colour of the plasma beam provided by the closed window blinds.

Edited by Blackadder

Once again Serendipity Rears Its Ugly Head.

I began this Mega Blaster shortly after the Plasma Cannon but due to the conflict in scales I wasn't sure how large to make the arm weapons so I left it undone.

As I built the body and legs it became apparent that both weapons could be ridiculously too large or too small.

Originally I thought a meter tall (39 inches) would be a good height for an Emperor Titan but proportion wise as I built it I had to keep correcting the height.

At least four to six times at least.  A month or so ago I increased the length of the thigh about 6.35 centimeters (2.5 inches). Hopefully for the last time.

The model now stands about 1,27 meters (50 inches) with still the spires on the bastions to go adding another six to eight inches.

ca4jaQZl.jpg

I managed to make the drum training device which is a lot more business-like than the forked yoke bracket. that is seen on the original Joazzz2 creation.

dJoRnLal.jpg

A dry run assembly today with a side by side comparison of the Mega Blaster and the Plasm Blaster Cannons....

93PdC6xl.jpg

confirmed that the arm weapons are in a close scale to the rest of the Emperor Titan.

Nummpd0l.jpg

A final touch today is the forward muzzle plate with a stylized 40K skull embellishment to start off the fine detailing.

tJbMuqFl.jpg

@Naryn: Did you know, Blackadder used to have a child. No one is truly sure what happened to the youngling, but soon after the disappearance this glorious dedication to the Machine God, the Emperor of Mankind took form within the young ones quarters.

Serendipity Doo,

I found just what I was looking for; I love the internet.

What the doctor ordered. The rear assembly of a Mega blaster that can be adapted to my construct with a minimum of alteration.

Just assemble a couple of boxlike structures and attach the elevation drum gear.

SoCrJHvl.jpg

Then somewhat faithfully copy the detail and we'll have the suitable energy producing end of the Helstrum Megablaster.

a8xT5Jhl.jpg

I even have some of the armour to replicate.

Ahhh! It;s Christmas.

Serendipity Doo,

What the doctor ordered. The rear assembly of a Mega blaster that can be adapted to my construct with a minimum of alteration.

Just assemble a couple of boxlike structures and attach the elevation drum gear.

SoCrJHvl.jpg

Then somewhat faithfully copy the detail and we'll have the suitable energy producing end of the Helstrum Megablaster.

a8xT5Jhl.jpg

Ahhh! It;s Christmas.

Worth noting is that what you've got a picture of there is the arm-mounted Macro Gatling Blaster from the FW 28mm Warlord.  That is definitively a gatling-style projectile weapon in the Lore, and thus the big box at the back is the ammo hopper (you can just see the hinges for the blast flaps and to facilitate reloading on the side).

The Hellstorm cannon has always been a bit ill-defined, as it was something they "made up" back in the Epic / Titan Legions days of the mid-90s when they didn't really give even a single fig about realism, unlike the half-a-fig they do today.  Because of the ammo requirements, the Hellstorm cannon got retconned as, effectively, a giant, multi-barrelled multi-laser, so all the "gubbinz" at the back-end should be more energy-weapon-based.  So capacitors, heatsinks and power cabling, that sort of thing.

Serendipity Doo,

SoCrJHvl.jpg

a8xT5Jhl.jpg

Ahhh! It;s Christmas.

Worth noting is that what you've got a picture of there is the arm-mounted Macro Gatling Blaster from the FW 28mm Warlord.  That is definitively a gatling-style projectile weapon in the Lore, and thus the big box at the back is the ammo hopper (you can just see the hinges for the blast flaps and to facilitate reloading on the side).

The Hellstorm cannon has always been a bit ill-defined, as it was something they "made up" back in the Epic / Titan Legions days of the mid-90s when they didn't really give even a single fig about realism, unlike the half-a-fig they do today.  Because of the ammo requirements, the Hellstorm cannon got retconned as, effectively, a giant, multi-barrelled multi-laser, so all the "gubbinz" at the back-end should be more energy-weapon-based.  So capacitors, heatsinks and power cabling, that sort of thing.

Thanks for the information. There is much about FW 40K lore that I am not aware of.

The ammo belt and the breech mechanism is readily apparent once it is pointed out to me. 

I may make my job easier if I modify the rear section to conform to an energy weapon and still keep the size and shape of the overall weapon...:wallbash: :thumbsup: 

Meanwhile:

Despite Appearances,

The clothes pins are on the rear of this piece.

The first 3 images are of the paper template I made to pattern the drum gear saddle.

WofWOvll.jpg  (I just make names for these parts as I go.)

I made the pattern in full originally....

lniKAqjl.jpg

Although the pattern fit rather well I found making the pieces would be easier if I made them in two parts.

Paper seen here....

cLYe3lyl.jpg

Than to make the styrene piece from the pattern in one whole piece.

The plastic pieces installed.... 

1zpQTygl.jpg

The result appears satisfactory.

Emperor class   Hellstorm Cannon Temp0002

This is my own interpretation / modernisation of the Hellstorm Cannon, which is kinda bodged together from elements of the current Mars-pattern Belicosa Volcano Cannon and the Turbo-lasers, plus some random additional detailing.  I reimagined it in my head as less of a laser weapon, and more of a particle-beam weapon, hence a number of magnetic coils to collimate the beam etc.  It may be of some use / inspiration?

Edited by Lord_Mephistopheles

Thanks for the suggestion.:thumbsup:

Apples and Oranges: 

Or  

Is my face red?

A day or two ago I was apprised that the images I was using for my Hellstrom weapon were of a Chain Ammo weapon called a Mega Gatling cannon. :blush: (Why is there no blush emoji?)

In defence I rationalized that the overall basic counterbalance form is what I was looking for and not the actual details. 

But in retrospect it is plain as day that the curved structure on the lower edge of the center section does readily show an ammo belt feed replete with 6 rounds and a bolt action loader.

The ammo box being the rear third section of this very heavy weapon. (The six PVC tubes alone weigh a couple of pounds .)

While both arm weapons at this point weigh 2 pounds each the front end moment of the Plasma Blaster is 4 ounces and 10 ounces for the Hellstorm Cannon.

Detail, details.....

Interestingly enough it is precisely what I was looking for when I first began this multi-barreled weapon I.E. a projectile firing weapon.

So now I have the option of both a 5 barreled energy weapon (redundant with the Plasma Cannon).  A quick change Hellstorm Cannon and a six barrel Gatling gun.

Gatling Blaster:

While I am in the process of making a HellStrom Cannon I figure it wouldn't hurt to build a Gatling Blaster quick change set of barrels as well.

That way I can have the option of either weapon with minimal trouble.

The first thing is to make the six Barrel mount cone. 

Here we see the cone which is simply a disk of styrene about ten inches in diameter with a center eight inches in diameter removed.

I then took the two inch wide strip and made a cone about 4 inches wide so there are two layers of 0.020 styrene which should be strong enough once the cone is covered with reinforcing bitz of sheet styrene.

UqQTie0l.jpg

Once the glue is dried I have the rough form of the bell housing that is ready for detailing.

mGC0sIbl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The beginning phases of the Gatling Blaster.

Six rotation barrels spaced equal distance from the center barrel hub

rWAN8x9l.jpg

It took some time to figure out the spacing of the barrels and I had to source the I and H Channels from my styrene provider which took a week.

U9s04JCl.jpg

But my Idea is playing out and I should have the barrel assembly finished today.

I'm also working on the mounting yoke which is coming along with gratifying success.

5UaNiR9l.jpg

I've moved my assembly from the Den to the Dining room for space considerations as we use the Den every day and the Dining room only for special occasions.

Much to the shagrin of Ms Adder but as I explained to her; "It's only temporary." So she said "Then you won't mind sleeping on the couch as long as that thing is in the Dining room." 

"Fair enough." sez I. ;)