Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies...

Octagons... That Feeling You Get When Things Go Awry 

It was a matter of disappointment when I found the turrets were hexagonal and would not fit the upper bastion assemblies.

Ultimately I had to make my own...

i7Ahp5Pl.jpg

Fortunately I could still use the guns.

laagsbCl.jpg

The upper works of one of the four corner bastions.

DapA7Uol.jpg

And some ideas of how to flesh out the basic structure..

lU9C8RCl.jpg
ntsTWdOl.jpg

Edited by Blackadder

I like where you're going with the statues, but that's a lot of blank space between and above them.  I would propose, and this is based on finding and ability to procure them, a single statue on each side that is the height of the square area in the center; Each one of a different (loyalist) Primarch? So if anyone has a 3d printer and some free time?  That or I propose a 'Get the Adder a printer, so he can make this stuff cooler' fund. I've got $20 to start it off right here!

If failing that, I would propose a bas relief between the statues.

On 9/12/2022 at 8:11 PM, Mud Duck said:

I like where you're going with the statues, but that's a lot of blank space between and above them.  I would propose, and this is based on finding and ability to procure them, a single statue on each side that is the height of the square area in the center; Each one of a different (loyalist) Primarch? So if anyone has a 3d printer and some free time?  That or I propose a 'Get the Adder a printer, so he can make this stuff cooler' fund. I've got $20 to start it off right here!

If failing that, I would propose a bas relief between the statues.

3D printer, my son has one of those. But I consider that cheating. Bad enough I am kit bashing but hey, GW/FW does that all the time. 

7 hours ago, Blackadder said:

3D printer, my son has one of those. But I consider that cheating. Bad enough I am kit bashing but hey, GW/FW does that all the time. 

Cheating? Nah. It's an alternate method of construction. Plus, it would save you money from having to buy more wall kits for the windows. But either way this beast is a beauty, in both form and function.

My first thought on the blank space between the statues was a tall window, because it's gothic innit? My second thought was some industrial/mechanical greebling (pipes and fans and such), but still in a vertical orientation to maintain the gothic form. Did those 40k walls come with any useful flooring?

It's an astounding build and I enjoy every update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Corner Bastions,

In the past few weeks I've managed to complete hundreds of components out of thousands of bits on plastic.

I have far outstripped my budget and my original ambition for this project.

Seen below is my first trial assembly of the corner Bastion with its corner pylons each of with consumed days of tedious assembly.

The trim bound by gum bands on the left  contains 98 assembled strips each containing 8 bits of meticulously crafted styrene plastic.

1ARjLms.jpg
1ARjLmsl.jpg

On the  right of the image is another bound bundle of trim 32 assembled strips each containing 6 bits of styrene.

pZI8z4u.jpg
pZI8z4ul.jpg

I rebuilt the corner upper bastions to be more compact and began the upper gun mounts flanking the pylons.

I decided to take a break from the frantic pace and post an update while I regroup and begin completing the other 7 pylons and mounting them on the upper bastions.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies,

Whew; well it took the better part of a month but I finally finished the corner obelisks. Literally thousands of pieces

vRJXYK7.jpg

But I think it was worth it.

opAL3jz.jpg

I can't wait until they're painted gold and graphite and installed on the Titan's super structure.

YIAXZc4.jpg

The beauty of these modular constructions is that I can begin painting as soon as the sub-structures are completed....

To my satisfaction that is so there are the discrepancies to be dealt with.

But these are sufficiently done so I can begin working on the gun mountings on these units. it will be a release from the tedium as I only need eight gun emplacements. 

Piece o' cake. :D 

Edited by Blackadder

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I've been totally remiss in posting new work but in spite of the tedium of adding all these bits and the time consumed it does not seem very much to report...

4zBKlBr.jpg

So we'll take it from where I installed the spikes on the corona.

This actually is a chaos feature but it looked so d@mned good I couldn't resist.

yPi1QhQ.jpg

Then I had to adjust the cannon emplacements to fit the new design otherwise all the new detail wouldn't fit.

There's a months worth of revamping to post but here's some tidbits to nosh on whilst I get some pictures together.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're back ( I hope for good ) 

To tell the truth I've been busy with local politics and have not had time to work on this project for the past four months. 

I'll scrounge around for some update images.

Last week I totally disassembled the model to make ready to work on the upper deck.

I also removed the upper legs to work on the thigh and knee armour regions. 
'
I've also been teaching myself "Pirates of the Caribbean" on the piano.

It's a tough piece to learn and my old hands and fingers aren't up to the god awful repetition in the base clef.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pirates+of+the+caribbean+piano+impossible

I'll post something in a day or two