Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

I keep coming back to stare at this - amazing work!

Great to see it with the weapons loosely in position too.

I've moved my assembly from the Den to the Dining room for space considerations as we use the Den every day and the Dining room only for special occasions.

There are no big seasonal holidays coming up that might, traditionally, require a dining room ;)

Every time I come back to the B&C I stop in to catch up on this thread. It's like visiting an old landmark, touching a favorite stone at a castle. It brings a sense of nostalgia to know this thread is still going

Blackadder, you are a gentleman for the life you have given to this project. 

Every time I come back to the B&C I stop in to catch up on this thread. It's like visiting an old landmark, touching a favorite stone at a castle. It brings a sense of nostalgia to know this thread is still going

Blackadder, you are a gentleman for the life you have given to this project. 

This! So much! 

And I really can‘t see the problem here …  isn‘t this the perfect  time of  year ?! 

Just give it a place at the table if you need to use the dining room. Problem solved. :wink:

Agreed. It's been a deep pleasure to watch this project progress over the months and years. Thanks again for taking the time to document it and share the journey.

Just give it a place at the table if you need to use the dining room. Problem solved. :wink:

Agreed. It's been a deep pleasure to watch this project progress over the months and years. Thanks again for taking the time to document it and share the journey.

Needs to have a little elf hat on it if the dining room placement lasts till Xmas!

Been watching this beast progress for years now, still as impressive as ever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
kKuKqxVl.jpg

It's back to the drawing board because I've found the definitive Gatling gun for my Emperor Titan. This rendering gives a much more complex appearance which matches the detail of the Laser cannon on the opposite side.

Since last I addressed this thread I'd made some significant progress on what I thought was a good design for a Mega Gatling Gun until I found this baby.

Granted it appears to be a hand held weapon but with judicious modifications I think I can salvage most of my work and produce a reasonable facsimile.

Here is where I am with the barrel arrangement.

uk120bYl.jpg

Let me know what you think.....

I'd suggest that the style can be appropriated wholesale and without shame (it's a tasty piece of kit - any voice saying otherwise need not be heard).

The judicious modifications just about make themselves in terms of decisions but the proportions of the render need to change to suit their new Emperor-Class home. The barrels need to be much greater diameter (at least 1.5x) in relation to their length but without sacrificing any barrel-length in relation to the rest of the weapon.

The business-end of the gun must be big enough that the Imperator does not have T-Rex arms or Donald Trump hands.

To say it another way (and since you have the barrel assembly already) build the rest of that render around the barrels but at 75% of the relative size so that the barrels predominate as they ought.

All very easy for me to say of course.

I'd suggest that the style can be appropriated wholesale and without shame (it's a tasty piece of kit - any voice saying otherwise need not be heard).

The judicious modifications just about make themselves in terms of decisions but the proportions of the render need to change to suit their new Emperor-Class home. The barrels need to be much greater diameter (at least 1.5x) in relation to their length but without sacrificing any barrel-length in relation to the rest of the weapon.

The business-end of the gun must be big enough that the Imperator does not have T-Rex arms or Donald Trump hands.

To say it another way (and since you have the barrel assembly already) build the rest of that render around the barrels but at 75% of the relative size so that the barrels predominate as they ought.

All very easy for me to say of course.

I appreciate the input but there is a point when the caliber of the weapon begins to look ludicrous. I have tried to maintain an element of believability to these fantasy constructs. The diameter of the bore of these particular rounds appear to be about 2/3 of a meter which I believe is sufficient for a rapid fire round.

As for the length of the barrel(s) I'll leave that for last in the basic construction. 

Another issue is where to put the arm pivot mechanism. I need to counterbalance  the weapon and still match the Plasma Cannon length.....

Thanks for the thoughtful critique.

I think you should do away with the grip at the back and the folded handle on top, but otherwise it's a cool design.

I have already decided to do away with the trigger mechanism and the cocking lever as cool as it may be. That doglegged tube would be a proper beeatch to replicate anyway. :p

Many thanks for the input(s). 

Thanks for the reply.

Nobody expects yadda yadda yadda.....

http://i.imgur.com/P9ANJdXl.jpg

A bad week for building.

Trying to edit the original barrel work to conform to the new image without replacing too much of the previous work.

WXtyjuql.jpg

Once the rest of the detail is applied I think it will pass muster.

Breach plate: 

for lack of a better name....

This will also serve as the balance point of the weapon because the barrels and muzzle will cause the cannon to be front heavy.

rLyaIKfl.jpg

I'm very much concerned about the topheavyness of the model.

Not that it can't be built and stand properly but I would also like to keep the model fully poseable.

The next lot is a bit tedious so I'll just post them in sequence....

Eu33RuMl.jpg

r83lZpdl.jpg

jh38W0Hl.jpg

5wYJLKhl.jpg

LVSDVoHl.jpg

Suffice it to note that this and the next lot is about a day's output.

Got to play catchup since the forum went down.

Let's see how many posts we can make...

A Round a Minute!

I was listening to Youtube whilst gluing the support mechanism for these rotating barrels. To the recount of the battle in the Denmark Straits to be precise.

towards the end of the narrative a fact was brought home to me so that I had to listen to it again. 

The whole battle took about 15 Minutes!!! 

Depending on the ship, 10 to 14 rounds were fired; about a salvo a minute....according to the narrator. 

Now my Gatling gun has six barrels rotating loading cartridges, not shells and bags of propellant. Plus these guns had to be retrained on the targets as the ships maneuvered.

Amazing!

Back to business:

jxl9kItl.jpg

I'll spare you the tedium of the gluing and sanding...

IrzCPp0l.jpg

and cut to the chase

or2Dxdgl.jpg

The finished assembly

JO1hKj1l.jpg

kFMNt6vl.jpg

And a closeup.

pF5DW9gl.jpg

Here's a comparison with the Plasma Blaster

bkcm1Ywl.jpg

piK9DnKl.jpg
Edited by Blackadder