Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

Pretty hyped for this ....the quotes are not making the wait any easier.

Do we have any idea, if the the Mentor Legion actually are featured in this? Or is just awesome icing on an already sweet cake?

I think the POV character is a serf of the a Mentor Legion marine that has been sent to make contact with the spears. I could be wrong though.

I think the POV character is a serf of the a Mentor Legion marine that has been sent to make contact with the spears. I could be wrong though.

I believe this is correct. From what I recall Aaron saying before, the Mentor has been sent to assess the readiness of the Emperor's Spears, and presumably has to deal with their attitude towards his chapter's having been given the heraldry and number of their destroyed Star Scorpion brethren (which goes way back to the Mentor Legion's first mention in White Dwarf).

Oioioi!

I was aware of the serf POV but obviously missed that he hails from the Mentor Legion. This is shaping up to be quite a treat! And I am pretty keen to see the reeeeally old stuff like the Mentors alongside the new Primaris kids. The two page spread of the Mentor Chapter Master being armed ny chapter serfs opening the WD Compendium was kind of my opening to 40 k as a whole. So maybe after all these years I am getting to know more of those Mentor Legion guys! Bring this baby on already!

Tried to find the appropiate post but the servant belongs to the Emperor's Spears, nominally a Primaris Marine.

The Mentors play their part in this, for sure. But they are not the main faction.

As long as I remember. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ha! It's far from the first reuse of a name in 40K, as you well know - I remember you getting stick from someone who couldn't believe there could be a Night Lords character named Talos when the Dark Eldar Talos Pain Engine already exists.

That was a real "Boy, I hope someone got fired for that blunder" moment.

Ha! It's far from the first reuse of a name in 40K, as you well know - I remember you getting stick from someone who couldn't believe there could be a Night Lords character named Talos when the Dark Eldar Talos Pain Engine already exists.

That was a real "Boy, I hope someone got fired for that blunder" moment.

Oh boy, I remember that thread, now that you mention it. I also seem to recall it didn't end well.

Per A D-B’s Facebook, The Emperor’s Spear is in the final stretch!

Hey Aaron, you keep talking about the big bucks, man. Asnwer the call of the Inner Circle, already. Besides, at some point you need to explain how Sorael got off Cadia before it exploded.

Too late now! I think I'm pretty committed to this path. The big bucks can go to the prolific folks, and the newer ones. I'm happy in my corner. I don't really have much of a passion for writing about metaplot stuff (though the money is insane).

Has he mentioned what’s next on the docket after this one is done? Talon of Legion 3: the Drach’nyening?

Yep-yep-yep. I'll cut you in for 10% if I go with that title.

Pretty hyped for this ....the quotes are not making the wait any easier.

Do we have any idea, if the the Mentor Legion actually are featured in this? Or is just awesome icing on an already sweet cake?

Dead on. And it's been a breath of fresh air to write from a non-Space Marine perspective. As much as Space Marines have variances in personality, their cores are still Probably Bitter and Definitely Deluded Jerk (Chaos Marines) and Hypno-indoctrinated Psycho-conditioned Warrior (Loyalists) underpinning all they do. One of the joys of Spear was getting to write a human reaction to things, with a human's unbiased/unblocked emotions. 

Admittedly, Anuradha is an extremely well-trained human raised by one of the more... unique... Chapters in existence, so she doesn't fall to pieces at the sound of a boltgun or anything, but it's still a voice that's markedly different from, say, Khayon or other Space Marine first-person perspectives.

Edited by A D-B

Once again I'm late to the party..... too many good posts to read and not enough time. On the first page I came across this intriguing statement from A D-B (intriguing to me at least): 

"The Imperial Fists have certain Ancient Greece themes......"

I've more than a passing interest in the ancient and near ancient historical and cultural themes in 40K and I'm just not seeing this, so I am confused (not an unnatural state for me). I see a very heavy Teutonic theme in the IF (esp. Sigismund and the Black Templars) but Greek?..... I'm not seeing it. A D-B, if you are peeking in, could you enlighten me?..... or could anyone enlighten me?

It's okay if it's obvious to everyone but me. I am (as the name implies) a lunkhead:biggrin.: 

'The Phalanx', Shield Wall specialities, the very old 'Sacred band' homoeroticism endemic to the Space Marine novel by Ian watson, archetypal transverse helms, Lysander was a Spartan Admiral, just to name a few, Aetos Dios is greek and Dorns dedicated transport.

Now, that's not exclusively greek, and along with 'Praetorian' and 'Roma' could be Roman as well. That said, there's enough overlap and culture meld between the two, not to mention that Romans were partially of greek descent (Sicilia, Massilia, Nepali, etc) existed as the concept of being Grecian becfore being 'Roman' (influenced by the legend of romulus and Remus etc).

Has he mentioned what’s next on the docket after this one is done? Talon of Legion 3: the Drach’nyening?

Yep-yep-yep. I'll cut you in for 10% if I go with that title.

Yesss. I can stop worrying about the series ending prematurely now

(It still might. I'll have a definite answer soon.)