Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

Is that a Primaris marine with some actual character on that cover, wonders never cease.

What Primaris Marines Actually Are: Just Space Marines. They've been in the Imperium for over a 100 years by this point. Pretty much every Chapter can make them. So they do. Or they don't. They're no more or less exciting than any other Space Marine. Plenty of Chapters never even got the HH-era guys. They just make their own ones. They're just Space Marines.

This is how I’ve always viewed Primaris, i view them like someone striped an old car cleaned it up and replaced some worn parts, then they added some modern parts to give it a boost and better handling. Still the same car just with a little better performance.

Cawl even states he left flaws in the wolves and angels that looked like the Emperor put them there. So to me the Primaris are just marines with a clean engine, new suspension and maybe a turbocharger. I will say though that whilst I love the basic Primaris armour the variants leave me cold.

The biggest thing Primaris need is some character and variation. They are Bland as hell. Due to the setting change they had to come out at the beginning of 8th, but that meant GW didn’t have the resources to do a proper job, they’ve been releasing codex after codex at an extraordinary rate. The extremely limited weapons customisation, the crap chapter upgrade sprues, no elites or proper melee. They are also banned from a lot of normal marine equipment that could fill the gaps. All this really effects people’s views of them. As a BA player I’m used to highly decorated models so the plainness of the Primaris really hurts.

Lore wise they should have launched with an indomitus crusade campaign book, several special characters and multiple novels, I understand it probably didn’t happen due to the need for secrecy and GW being busy, the less people who know the easier it is to keep a secret, but it’s hurt them badly. Are there any novels out that focus on Primaris yet other than Dark Imperium? I know there’s stuff coming but is anything actually out yet.

A novel like I believe ADB describes with Primaris just being marines and doing marine things is exactly what’s needed in my opinion, but that’s coming out as a limited edition first so only a small percentage of the fans will read it when it eventually comes out, it’ll be another 6 months after that before the rest of us start reading it. Not criticising anyone in particular here, I can see why things happened this way and writing takes time, but it’s had a negative effect on the perception of the Primaris.

Primaris are taller and faster and stronger than oldmarines, guys.

I don’t get your point, the hypothetical car I mentioned rebuilding in my last post would be faster more stable and have all round better performance than before but it’s still the same car, the majority of the gene seed in a Primaris is the same as the gene seed in the old marines, cawl just cleaned out some of the mutations and added 3 new organs didn’t he?

I’m not having a go I understand academically why many people are upset about them, and I respect your rights to feel that way. I just don’t share it, my concerns are with the implementation of the Primaris not their existence. I like the idea that thousands of these new marines and equipment have been ready for deployment for thousands of years but they sat on ice because Guilliman was not around to authorise their deployment.

Making them ‘taller’ was stupid. Custodes went from marine sized to Primarchs sized. Them being taller than seven feet is pointless anatomically. Even the primarchs shouldn’t be taller than normal marine sized. Primaris should’ve just been a rescaled marine line, but instead they put out new Coke and are trying to say it’s no different. It’s just a pointless choice the studio made.

Primaris are taller and faster and stronger than oldmarines, guys.

I don’t get your point, the hypothetical car I mentioned rebuilding in my last post would be faster more stable and have all round better performance than before but it’s still the same car, the majority of the gene seed in a Primaris is the same as the gene seed in the old marines, cawl just cleaned out some of the mutations and added 3 new organs didn’t he?

I’m not having a go I understand academically why many people are upset about them, and I respect your rights to feel that way. I just don’t share it, my concerns are with the implementation of the Primaris not their existence. I like the idea that thousands of these new marines and equipment have been ready for deployment for thousands of years but they sat on ice because Guilliman was not around to authorise their deployment.

It would not be the same car because it would be bigger and it can't use chainswords.

Also the bit of lore you find interesting, I find it flawed as hell.

You have a radical almost rogue like dude that needs to wait for permission? He even used Traitor Gene Seed, tampered with the holy work of the Emperor, which was heresy, has an alleged AI rolling around, broke deals with xenos, and used xeno tech to try to seal the eye of terror, but oh boy he needs permission to open the freezer? Nah mate. I don't buy that.

But this is not the point of this thread.

I am actually quite curious about the book and I want to see of any new units are teased. Maybe I should expect that from plague wars from guy Haley, because dark Imperium teased those units I kinda dislike.

Hey at least it's a fairly unknown chapter, and I'm always up to buy some books that's not about the big 4.

Edited by Sete

Making them ‘taller’ was stupid. Custodes went from marine sized to Primarchs sized. Them being taller than seven feet is pointless anatomically. Even the primarchs shouldn’t be taller than normal marine sized. Primaris should’ve just been a rescaled marine line, but instead they put out new Coke and are trying to say it’s no different. It’s just a pointless choice the studio made.

I respect you a lot and agree with you 95% of the time, man, but if you think "We've decided to make true-scale Marines - all your old ones are wrong, BTW" wouldn't have detonated the internet and had people furious at the new sculpts, you're quite literally insane.

At least this way they can be ignored or added to armies. Imagine if GW had said "All your Space Marines really are tiny and a bit janky, anatomically. Here are the new versions." 

No. No, no, no. Sorry, but if you think the introductory lore for Primaris is ropey, fine, but it's over 100 years in the past in the setting now, and irrelevant to plenty of Chapters, and if GW had done it the other way, Marine players would have been apoplectic. Saying otherwise is naked delusion. 

And the other option would be to tell Jes Goodwin, the creator of the damn things, that he's never allowed to reiterate his vision and improve his lifelong work even if the previous range was out of scale and effectively wrong. 

Please don't take this perspective as "I LOVE EVERYTHING IN THE NEW EDITION'S LORE." I don't. But that's meaningless. At this point, they're just Space Marines. 99.9% of them don't know or care about Cawl; they weren't all in stasis since the Heresy; they're not the "We love Bobby G" choir. They're just Space Marines. Not everything is tied into the metaplot. Be at peace. Wood for the trees, my brethren. Wood for the trees.

As much as I don't want to tone-police, can we just close the thread instead of whining about Primaris? It's a bit embarrassing, that's all. There's plenty I don't like without the need to bounce into threads to tell people about it. 

Edited by A D-B

I dunno if Primaris is the hill I would die on. GW models change in scale before, compare 2nd ed models to pre-primaris regular marines. I would've welcomed true-scale minis (or at least, not really cared). But Primaris were like...the lamest way to do them, if that's the reason we're going with

Jesus, this isn't my hill. The differences between the two types of Marine are so utterly irrelevant on a setting-scale that while I respect the opinions of people that hate them, I'm also amazed they can't get over it, given the wider context. Let me put it this way: A year and a half ago, I thought putting a Primaris character into it might be noteworthy. A year and a half ago. I've been surprised, pleasantly and unpleasantly, to be reminded it's even still a thing for some people. Almost all of the Primaris jazz has died down, and I visit a lot of freaking forums and Facebook groups.

My hill is "Magnus did nothing wrong." Magnus did a million billion things wrong. That's the hill I'll die on.

Edited by A D-B

Now ADB serious question, Elysium Crusade.

What's their role?

Are they important to the plot?

Just a cameo?

What's their deal? I suppose giving CL a hand right?

I have this weird craving to do the sequel from the POV of one of the Elysium Crusade.

"Man, we've been stranded here with you guys for over a hundred years. I miss my cat."

I dunno if Primaris is the hill I would die on. GW models change in scale before, compare 2nd ed models to pre-primaris regular marines. I would've welcomed true-scale minis (or at least, not really cared). But Primaris were like...the lamest way to do them, if that's the reason we're going with

Jesus, this isn't my hill. The differences between the two types of Marine are so utterly irrelevant on a setting-scale that while I respect the opinions of people that hate them, I'm also amazed they can't get over it, given the wider context. Let me put it this way: A year and a half ago, I thought putting a Primaris character into it might be noteworthy. A year and a half ago. I've been surprised, pleasantly and unpleasantly, to be reminded it's even still a thing for some people. Almost all of the Primaris jazz has died down, and I visit a lot of freaking forums and Facebook groups.

My mistake. They are still a sticking point for me, but I understand if you don't find them noteworthy. I will drop the topic, sorry if I was badgering you :( Hope I didn't come off too strongly here. For all that I dislike Primaris, I am still looking forward to the book. 

My mistake. They are still a sticking point for me, but I understand if you don't find them noteworthy. I will drop the topic, sorry if I was badgering you :sad.: Hope I didn't come off too strongly here. For all that I dislike Primaris, I am still looking forward to the book. 

All good, fam. No harm, no foul. 

Why from buy to borrow? There aren’t even spoilers out yet

I have a limited book budget and no great liking to the Primaris or their lore. While i really enjoy ADB as a author i would rather be pleasantly surprised and then buy it for the shelf then roll the dice on a Primaris book. 

It’s just a Space Marine book, by the sounds of it, some of whom happen to be Primaris. From what ADB has been saying (correct me if I’m wrong), there’s no Cawl, Guilliman, they haven’t been in Stasis since there Heresy. It’s just a book about space marines, some of them have MkX armour on.

I dunno if Primaris is the hill I would die on. 

My hill is "Magnus did nothing wrong." Magnus did a million billion things wrong. 

No he didn't, is my stance.

Anyway, will we see Celestial Lions characters in this one Aaron, and will we see them in action?

while i don’t go so far as to think it’s “stupid”, taller =better has always been something i’ve taken issue with even as far back as reading lord of the rings

It’s just a Space Marine book, by the sounds of it, some of whom happen to be Primaris. From what ADB has been saying (correct me if I’m wrong), there’s no Cawl, Guilliman, they haven’t been in Stasis since there Heresy. It’s just a book about space marines, some of them have MkX armour on.

This guy gets it.

This guy gets it.

I have no doubt lots of people will get it :biggrin.: , but i am a firm believer in voting with my wallet, and Primaris dont get that vote ( not yet at least). Maybe this will be the book that changes my mind, maybe it wont.

And to be 100% frank based on what you have said on your views on Primaris in this thread, i dont think we see eye to eye on them anyhow.  I can wait for Marines +1 till your next Custodes book:wink:, which i definitely will get....unless Primaris Custodians become a thing by then :huh.: .