Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

It was available at the BL Weekender and I think it is going up online in December.

The Limited Edition or the normal one?

Because I'm so picking up that Limited Edition if it's available.

LE I think, standard I think won't be available for 3-6 months.

It was available at the BL Weekender and I think it is going up online in December.

The Limited Edition or the normal one?

Because I'm so picking up that Limited Edition if it's available.

LE I think, standard I think won't be available for 3-6 months.

With all that good stuff?

Yup. Instant purchase for me :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

I went from squirming at the price and worrying no one would buy it, to being blown away when I saw the real deal. You can likely imagine my naked relief at that emotion. 

My personal highlight might be the Jes Goodwin-approved multi-layered diagram of a Space Marine's armour coming away in layers, which was a huge deal internally, as it's the first time GW has ever shown it in anything like that detail.

The real question is did ADB write the Index Astartes article and if he did, did he use the Liber resources to do it. If he did thats the best evidence we've got to move the liber back up to the top of the sub-forum list and reinstate the Librarium project. 

He did and he didn't, in that order. He went with Ye Olde Imperial Armour 9 and 10's style of presentation, mixed with Ye Evene Oldyer Index Astartes articles. 

Does anyone know if the Index Astartes book will ever be available separately?

I have no idea, but if I ever find out, I'll make sure the answer is as widely known as possible, for the sake of convenience. 

Where does one purchase this glorious thing?

I don't know exact dates, but the Limited Edition will be grabbable in 2-4 weeks, I think. Warhammer Community will make a bit of a big deal out of it (I think they're even considering a real unboxing); this pre-release was purely for the Weekender's superfans, etc. So it won't be too long now.

I went from squirming at the price and worrying no one would buy it, to being blown away when I saw the real deal. You can likely imagine my naked relief at that emotion. 

My personal highlight might be the Jes Goodwin-approved multi-layered diagram of a Space Marine's armour coming away in layers, which was a huge deal internally, as it's the first time GW has ever shown it in anything like that detail.

I don't know exact dates, but the Limited Edition will be grabbable in 2-4 weeks, I think. Warhammer Community will make a bit of a big deal out of it (I think they're even considering a real unboxing); this pre-release was purely for the Weekender's superfans, etc. So it won't be too long now.

I mean, as of now, I've purchased only one Special/Limited Edition from Black Library (Lords of Silence). This would be the second one.

And that armour diagram would be very nice.

And 2 to 4 weeks? Damn it all, now I have to try to avoiding spending everything on Speed Freeks :lol:

Side note: It's going to be amusing having this book on my bookshelf, because I can already tell people who don't know Warhammer will ask me "Oh, this guy a relative of yours and that's why you have this book?" .... Though, knowing the uncommonness of the latter half of your surname, that's actually very likely :lol:

And 2 to 4 weeks? Damn it all, now I have to try to avoiding spending everything on Speed Freeks :laugh.:

I'm allowed to post the Introduction / Preface on my blog in a couple of weeks, so that might narrow it down a bit. I asked specifically if I could, because it's an odd duck of a book in some ways, and I thought I actually had some interesting stuff to say on its creation. 

I've generally avoided this topic before now because I don't like being a pushy fanboy bothering an author with my personal wish-list (or hate-list). I was intrigued immediately upon seeing that there would be a novel about the Emperor's Spears - I love when the spotlight is shone upon the lesser known Chapters (who are every bit as good as the popular ones!). And the author hasn't failed to deliver in the past (I thoroughly enjoyed Talon of Horus and I'm slowly slogging through the sequel, my progress hindered by about six other books that I am reading). And after reading AD-B's posts in this topic, I'm looking forward to reading the book and learning about the Emperor's Spears even more. Gates of Fire is one of my all time favorite books, and Mr. Pressfield's entire collection (minus some of the "how to write" books and The Legend of Bagger Vance) resides in my library, and the fact that it serves as a model from which this book draws some degree of inspiration (and the discussions AD-B has had with people that have served in crises) makes me look forward to the book even more. And the Adeptus Vaelarii are a fun new addition to the lore - I'm going to have to add them to the Tabula Astartes.

However, upon seeing the limited edition and getting a hint at its contents, I am in a dilemma. That's a lot of money for a book, especially licensed fiction. I've spent that much money on books before, but only on very rare/old books (like leather bound first editions of classics and similar). But the contents! I want that Index Astartes article/booklet! I guess there's a first time for everything. My wife is going to be pissed.

+EDIT+

I've added the Adeptus Vaelarii to the Tabula Astartes.

Edited by Brother Tyler

Just going to remind folks that free Emperor's Spears decals are available on B&C: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/files/file/322-emperors-spears-decal-sheet/

No squad symbols or other gubbins but got the chapter icon right there. All you need is access to a printer, some varnish, and the few quid for the blank sheets.

It looks bad compared to GW one, because it only has black trident. No white skull. And like the limited edition Deathwatch sheet, this one can't be easily reproduced because both feature gold and white ink on them. Gold/white printers capable of printing on laser/ink transfer sheets are really expensive and very rare so chances are there are none of them available for outside use even in pretty big city.

Meanwhile, GW just outsources these to industrial printing house that can do any color you want for pretty cheap (but only in larger runs) then keeps them behind really high paywall instead of making them available later. It's a super dick move BTW - I never saw any of thousands of DW players ever put the Watch Fortress marks on DW minis because these were only added to mega special duper limited edition of DW Codex in 7th edition that sold out in a few hours and that was it :down:

@BrotherTyler: I feel the same and I will have the same issues regarding my wife over here, as well. :P

Overall, is this the new standard for BL?

Focusing on LEs with quite an amount of content, etc.? Seen those pop up quite frequently.

Who (or what) is Remeton? Is his last name "Steel"?

It says "Nemeton," which is a common word in several Celtic languages (with various cognates, such as nemed in Irish) that means "a sacred place," or perhaps more specifically, a sacred grove. I imagine that is the name of their homeworld, or their fortress monastery. It is a common placename element all over Ireland and the British Isles.

EDIT: Love the ogham markings on the transfer sheet. If I had more monies, I would buy this in a heartbeat. Maybe for Christmas...

Edited by Cleanse And Purify

Just under halfway through (I’m taking my time with this)- I’ve finished Book One- and it’s really, really good.

Only the most minor spoilers below, but tagged because I’m dead courteous

If I say that nothing has really happened, so far but I’m totally gripped I don’t mean that negatively. Nemeton is a plausible world with a believable culture and both are nicely including the feel of the Chapter. And the implicit comparisons that are drawn by having us see it through the eyes of the Memtor Legion’s own, distinct culture does the same for *them* too.

The tone that Aaron said he was going for at the Weekender has most definitely been achieved.

Also, the more I read set after the Imperium Nihilus, the more I think it’s the best thing that could have happened to 40k fiction.

Right, back to the book...

This feels like some kind of pleasant torture... When will we be able to buy this, damnit?!

I am intensely curious as to whether we get some hint at the spear’s parent legion. But I take it, it isn’t revealed in book 1...

I really hope the chapter will play some kind of prominent role in the future developments of general 40k lore (if nothing else, so we will be able to buy more transfer sheets..). That A D-B is working on the second volume promises well! I feel like I chose the right chapter for my army...

This feels like some kind of pleasant torture... When will we be able to buy this, damnit?!

I am intensely curious as to whether we get some hint at the spear’s parent legion. But I take it, it isn’t revealed in book 1...

I really hope the chapter will play some kind of prominent role in the future developments of general 40k lore (if nothing else, so we will be able to buy more transfer sheets..). That A D-B is working on the second volume promises well! I feel like I chose the right chapter for my army...

Aren't they just a straight Ultramarine successor?  I didn't think that was hidden information.

Aren't they just a straight Ultramarine successor?  I didn't think that was hidden information.

Nope. They're of unknown founding and origin. I mean, yes, they're blue but that doesn't automatically mean they're of Ultramarines-descent :lol:

Lost Legion (or rather leaving it open for speculation or White Scars (they could receive some treatment) would be cool.

Tbh, I'd be happy with everything else than Ultramarines just for diversity. :)

Edited by Kelborn

I thought I remembered at one of the events earlier this year that they were an estranged Ultramarines successor, though I could be mistaken.

They were described as such repeatedly at the Weekender; Aaron gave that reason for his being on the Ultramarines panel.

Also,

the Spears believe that both they and the Mentor Legion are “born of Guilliman’s genetic code”