Almagor's Dark Angels

Almagor

Splendid! I think I may follow your example.

This^

I have lost all motivation to paint Dark Angel's since GW pushed the Primaris change. This is such an inspiring thread for capturing the glory of Classic Marines and definitely helps motivate fixing the pile o shame before they are totally redundant.

Stobz' Dangles may get some lovin' yet.

Fantastic to see somebody else who loves the classic metal sculpts, but also to see someone that does them when justice! It's honestly been a joy to read through this thread, and I can only hope that when I feel brave enough to paint up some older models that I can come even close to the quality you've achieved!

Fantastic to see somebody else who loves the classic metal sculpts, but also to see someone that does them when justice! It's honestly been a joy to read through this thread, and I can only hope that when I feel brave enough to paint up some older models that I can come even close to the quality you've achieved!

Splendid! I think I may follow your example.

This^

I have lost all motivation to paint Dark Angel's since GW pushed the Primaris change. This is such an inspiring thread for capturing the glory of Classic Marines and definitely helps motivate fixing the pile o shame before they are totally redundant.

Stobz' Dangles may get some lovin' yet.

Thank you!

I made a solemn vow that before I paint any Primaris marines, I will:

1. Completely demolish my backlog of legacy marine models

2. Paint every single classic and/or oop Dark Angels model there is

I'm actually pretty close to achieving  these goals :rolleyes:

Edited by Almagor

Thank you!

I made a solemn vow that before I paint any Primaris marines, I will:

1. Completely demolish my backlog of legacy marine models

2. Paint every single classic and/or oop Dark Angels model there is

I'm actually pretty close to achieving these goals :rolleyes:

Both solid goals, and a fantastic achievement if you manage it!

I've recently come back to the hobby after letting it fall by the wayside some years ago, and have taken to spending lots of money on eBay to aquire the models I wanted as a kid in the late 90's but couldn't have.

Already on the way are this veteran sgt with power axe (on right - missing boltgun, not a big issue), some metal scouts to go with the standard 5 I already have, this standard bearer and vet sgt (always loved that sculpt!), Azrael, Ezekiel, Asmodai, robed DA standard bearer missing banner top, Lexicanum 1 & Epistolary 1, 6 metal terminators inc this style cyclone launcher and, my absolute favourite, a metal RW landspeeder. Hopefully the first of a few metal speeders, love the model.

My eventual goal isn't too dissimilar to yours, including wanting to have a complete collection of librarians and chaplains, simply because I think some of the models are pretty cool, and why only have some of them?!

Edited by pawl

The previous two pages were simply filled with pure win. I'm jealous of every single one of your models and their paintjob. Keep 'em coming mate!

You can build a squad filled with DA Chaplains, that must be a truly terrifying sight for any opponent :biggrin.:

Edited by Chaplain Grey Raven

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And now for a true classic!

The 1992/3 Deathwing terminator squad. Another eBay rescue, properly repainted.

This set includes the 5 models and all of the bits from the 1996 Deathwing terminator box set plus a Deathwing Assault cannon.

Fun fact: this is the only Deathwing specific bit not present in the boxed set and was only sold in blisters. So naturally I just had to have it...

Also, I had an extra terminator body, so I kitbashed it with some later era plastic bits (circa 2004) and they fit quite well. No model left behind!

gallery_96682_12924_302599.jpg

gallery_96682_12924_452968.jpg

The green of the greenwing units mate

Oh, that's quite straightforward!

1. Black primer

2. vallejo air dark green basecoat

3. vallejo air sick green zenithal overall highlight at 45deg

4. vallejo air sick green zenithal spot highlight at 90deg

5. vallejo sick green edge highlight

6. citadel nuln oil recess wash

That's it. The green is rather dark despite the numerous highlights and the edge highlights are subtle. Just how I like it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Classic indeed! The green looks fantastic and so does the base but I think the gold's a little flat from what I can see -maybe a sepia shade, silver/light gold highlight (both?) Would make those lumpy old details pop :)

I have one of these waiting for me to return to some hobby time (selling house so all packed away, could be a while..) you've really done it justice and got me hyped about busting it out.

Nice job on the OG decals too, I remember having to assemble the winged skull out of 3 seperate ones - what a pain!

Classic indeed! The green looks fantastic and so does the base but I think the gold's a little flat from what I can see -maybe a sepia shade, silver/light gold highlight (both?) Would make those lumpy old details pop :smile.:

Thank you! The gold parts are shaded with reikland fleshade gloss, I like a bit of red in my golds. You are right about the lack of  highlights, a bit of polished gold and a few spots of silver would do it some good.