What have your Raven Guard done lately?

mertbl

9 hours ago, Dracos said:

Nicely done. What kind of list were you using and what did you come up against 

I used Recon Company exclusively throughout the event. Had never used it before and wanted to give it a thorough test. 

Day 1 was an attrition event. 1500-1250-1000 points. I had a Recon squad with Nemesis bolters, a Scout squad with Nemesis bolters, a Mor Deythan squad with Nemesis bolters (sensing a pattern?), a Delagatus with (you guessed it!) a Nemesis bolter, a Contemptor with a Kheres and a fist, a pair of lascannon/multimelta Javelins, and a Scorpius. 

First game was against Alpha Legion. They needed to destroy 3 objectives to win. I killed the heavy weapons they needed to do that before they could. 

Games 2 and 3 both started with Night Fighting in play, which worked out great for me. Emperors Children in game 2, Word Bearers in game 3. Ended up tabling them both with bullets out of the darkness. 

Day 2 was different. I played 2 doubles games with my wife as my partner and we actually coordinated our lists to work well together. Decisive 23-4 victory for game 1. Game 2 was closer, 7-6. 

The last game was the only game I lost and a lot of it was because I got a bad draw. I had to defend 4 buildings against the Iron Warriors with Perturabo. My list was not designed to defend static locations that could be destroyed. I lost that one badly on points, even though I didn't lose many models. 

Games 1 and 2 I was paired with my wife's Blood Angels vs Iron Warriors and World Eaters and vs Thousand Sons of Horus. 

Edited by Claws and Effect

• 1 month later...

Participating in an escalation league at my local hobby store. Starting at 1000pts in July. I fought my first oponemt the other day who was using Admech.

1uzlPmS.jpeg

Final score was 

63pts Raptors

Secondaries

Assassinate

behind enemy lines

8pts Admech

engage on all fronts

Behind enemy lines

Mission was 'The Ritual' +'Crucible of battle'

I got first turn.

First turn for both of us was fairly uneventful tho. Both of us trying to position to get firing lines and plinking a couple wounds off eachother. 

Second turn I was able to jump out from behind mid field buildings activate assault doctorin and get stuck in and it was pretty much over. I feel pretty bad for the state of Admech right now even if I rolled pretty hot and they positioned poorly because they didn't revise how far bikers with advance and charge can go.

Next oponwnt will be Genestealer Cult.

Edited by War of the Eagle

Played my first game of 10th (and in 2? Years) on Wednesday. 

It was great fun really liked how this edition is looking early on. Even if it took me nearly and hr to scrounge up my models and gaming tools :laugh:

Played against a local, who used mech guard. 3 mech infantry squads in Chimeras, 2 LR and 1 sentinel 

I took 2 Warsuits, bolter Elim's, Shrike and 5 VVs, infiltrators, Incursors, Reivers with Lt. 

Not having sticky objectives was a drag. I offloaded a bunch of Intercessors and Tacs to focus on Phobos troops and them not having battleline this Ed is a bit irksome.... 

Warsuits seem a bit more balanced this time around. Definitely toned down they didn't take out a single LR even in 3 rounds of CC. Although my Elim's did take out the sentinel in 1 round of shooting :teehee:

We played a basic mission since we were both learning. Just hold objectives I was ahead early. But after round 3 I'd lost both Warsuits and had no AT. So I suspect he may have won if we went all 5 rounds but the store was closing. 

Shrikes ability for his bodyguard unit is awesome! 

On 7/14/2023 at 6:33 AM, War of the Eagle said:

Participating in an escalation league at my local hobby store. Starting at 1000pts in July. I fought my first oponemt the other day who was using Admech.

1uzlPmS.jpeg

Final score was 

63pts Raptors

Secondaries

Assassinate

behind enemy lines

8pts Admech

engage on all fronts

Behind enemy lines

Mission was 'The Ritual' +'Crucible of battle'

I got first turn.

First turn for both of us was fairly uneventful tho. Both of us trying to position to get firing lines and plinking a couple wounds off eachother. 

Second turn I was able to jump out from behind mid field buildings activate assault doctorin and get stuck in and it was pretty much over. I feel pretty bad for the state of Admech right now even if I rolled pretty hot and they positioned poorly because they didn't revise how far bikers with advance and charge can go.

Next oponwnt will be Genestealer Cult.

Is the ATV a conversion or aftermarket? Like the look!

• 2 weeks later...

Sat down at the airbrush yesterday got some models primed and based. 

For some reason the black isn't coming out with the nice shine I had hoped for. Not sure what's going on, tried both Vallejo Game and Model air and both ended up somewhat grey and flat. 

Progress nonetheless! 

20230805_204842.jpg

11 hours ago, duz_ said:

I noticed water dripping from the holding tank :confused:

Yikes

but stuff looking good so far. 

Edited by WAR

1500pt league game vs Gray Knights.

Hammer and anvil again. 

Won 73 to 26

He got first turn and fed two strike squads into my waiting guns.  His turn two he dumped a Purify squad+Crowe, and 2x 5man termi squads with librarians on me and delt a big blow to my army. Crippling a few squads. I destroyed the entirety of the purifier squad and his interceptor squad which just left his two termi squads.

Killed one turn 3 and the other turn 4 with little casualties so was able to score unimpeded for most the fight.

• 2 weeks later...

Game 4 of escalation league, 1500pts vs Custodies.

Hammer and Anvil AGAIN

Sites of power

Raptors 75

Custodies 43

Custodies got 1st turn and ran straight at me but didn't do much. I shot almost everything in my army at his 10man guardian squad with Shields and Captain and killed 5. (Couldn't see much else)

Turn two he charges a few of my squads but I weather the storm. Falling back and shooting more in my turn. I flank most my army around the side he didn't push down and deep striking inceptor squads on objectives on his side of the field he left behind. 

Turn 3 he finishes off the squads in my deployment zone. The remainder of my army  destroys everything he has left except a termi squad hiding behind a wall on an objective.

Turn 4-5 he knows he can't move his termies out or they die and he already used their once per game jump so he stays put. I own all the rest of the board and just ring up points letting them have that one objective. 

The Custodies player was fairly green so gave him plenty of pointers throughout. Sure I'd e allot closer if he had more experience. Still he made soooo many 4+ invuls. Was the closest game sp far just because I felt I couldn't kill anything despite dumping 100s of shots into them haha.

I feel you on the lack of killing power. At least for most Infantry. Last night I couldn’t make a dent in the Necron Liche Guard with all that character support. At a 1000 points I feel need to stay pretty generic so things like knights dreadnoughts vehicles are going to be an issue until I get a better handle on the rules or the Codex gifts us some better tools. 

OJen04e.jpeg

MTcYl0W.jpeg

Teamed up with Space wolves with my Ravengaurd to eek out a win vs Sisters and khorne. Was 4k a side with just kill everything as the objective. Likely could have spiced it up more but it was a pretty fun battle. Shrike upper cutting a Knight Tyrant for 8 total damage was a highlight for me tho.

Friday Crusade I got whacked pretty hard by a Tau player nice guy … with a 1000 points of Crisis Suits, Ghost Keel and Piranhas. 

I’ll write up a short report later but basically I got murder-balled by fast moving super powered shooting “vehicles” (ugh) :geek:

I made plenty of mistakes from deployment stage forward. Dice were average ish and my draw of secondary objective cards was less than meh better than bad. 

Lessons learned. I don’t always have to deploy Inceptors in reserve. I really need to get a better handle on Primary Mission objectives. 

My Aggressor took out the Ghost Keel and the small unit of Eradicators were able to delete a Piranha each turn but Coldstar (?) and those Crisis suits are brutal. The Inceptors were just too little too late. 

• 4 weeks later...

Last week I beat an experienced/competitive 1kSons player so that was good.

2 days ago I beat the crap out of an inexperienced GSC player at 1k points crusade who's just getting back into the game.  He had 7 characters at 1k points. SEVEN.

Today I got curb-stomped by the 1kSons player I beat last week.

@Dracos I've noticed similar stuff as you; the meta is quickly moving to multiple hard-hitting and/or fast vehicle type units.  Pretty much every Tau force features a variation on what you described: 18 crisis suits, ghosts, piranhas.

I went to watch some of a local 2k pt tourney last weekend and the winning list was Imperial Fists player with:

2 Primaris Techmarines

2 x 3 uzi inceptors

2 Gladiator Lancers

2 Redemptor Dreadnoughts

2 Repulsor Executioners

2 Whirlwinds

1 Predator Destructor

Everything was variations of primer grey.  Needless to say he tabled everyone.   I was super glad I didn't spend my Saturday playing in that tourney.

I’m very sad for the state of the game if that’s what a “winning” Space Marine list has turned into. It’s not even that anyone of those models are OP on its own. Plus it’s countered by so many other list from Eldar, Knights and monstrous creatures that it becomes a game of rock papr scissors. No tactical skill needed whatsoever. 

• 3 weeks later...

2000pt Vanguard detachment of Raptors Vs Vangaurd Invasion of Nids

t0Pqqgi.jpeg

10 termis vs Norn Emmisary holding the pass.

XdyKRDg.jpeg

Eliminators surveying the battlefield

PnoBL1x.jpeg

Invictor buying time for his Brothers.

I lost but it was a pretty great match. I played waaaay to aggressive haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran and Participated in a 10k a side, 3v3, imperium vs nids Apoc battle yesterday.

Ran into of time so didn't get to play out the last turn but we talked our way trough it and it ended on a slim Nid victory. Was a epic battle. I plan on writing more about it with more pics in the Apoc channel.

xnLL0eD.jpeg

AfhHdSG.jpeg

bveRC8p.jpeg

My Raven Guard got their first outing for quite a while in a Kill Team game against dirty Kroot xenos.

It was my friend's first game but I didn't really hold back and it was still a pretty close game. He knows to focus fire Space Marines down now, to chip away at the return attacks, and I reckon he'd probably have me if we played it over.

12-9 to the Raven Guard.

231107_KT_RavenGuard-Kroot.jpg