8th Edition & BA

Charlo

I wonder...

If a Land Raider charges, do the troops inside count as charging too? 

If not, can they charge after the LR failed to make contact?

On the FB page tons of people are asking questions about this. The WH team just keeps saying a dedicated transport article is coming soon. I was really hoping that was going to be part of today's article but oh well I guess. Just gotta wait.

I wonder...

Probably not if they still have to disembark during the movement phase. :wink:

They've hinted however that some stratagems could allow you actions outside of your turn and/or phase.

I wonder...

Probably not if they still have to disembark during the movement phase. :wink:

They've hinted however that some stratagems could allow you actions outside of your turn and/or phase.

Those stratagems are exceptions from the rule tho so it's impossible to say what those would possibly allow or not.

They have already stated that the passenger in open topped vehicles can shoot their pistols in combat...

At least now we know how to deal with overwatch: rhino charges first to soak up wounds then assault squad charges in to eat the unit.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Except multiple overwatch is a thing and both the rhino and the assault would take it.

I might've misunderstood the article but I think that's referring to like if I declare a charger (say that single guy 7" away), and they overwatch, and kill him, on my next group of chargers, they can overwatch again until something actually touches them.

Except multiple overwatch is a thing and both the rhino and the assault would take it.

No that's not how it works. A unit can do more than once overwatch if it's not engaged in close combat. Means only if your Rhino fails its charge it could overwatch the second unit as well. If your Rhino manages to get into close combat the target unit wouldn't be able to Overwatch anymore.

sfPanzer has it right.  You can absolutely send in vehicles first to absorb Overwatch.  However, you'll need to have disembarked during your earlier Movement phase.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/6bxldo/notes_from_fb_live_q_a/

Breakdown on reddit of the live Q&A. Some important takeaways:

- Powerfists are -1 to hit instead of hitting last

- Drop Pods still have to land 9" away 

- Consolidation into another combat?! 

The exact wording on that last one: 

"Shooting vs Combat Dichotomy - How will combat units fare? Combat is more powerful. Units hit harder and do more damage. Piling in to engage multiple units, surrounding prevents falling back. Special rules allow combat units to do better. Units are a lot faster in 8th. Consolidation from combat to combat."

One thing I saw from reviews on today's Q&A:

> Blood Angel Primaris Marines are still affected by Red Thirst (and potentially Black Rage). 

Aw yiss. The flaw is sticking around.

That would be lame... do you just have to take a bunch of D.C. Marines along side your actual army in case some fail? What if all the units fail and you only brought 10 DC marines? Do I need to have a DC marine ready for each actual marine I have in my army? I could go on but I'll stop now since this probably (hopefully) isn't actually how it would work...

- Powerfists are -1 to hit instead of hitting last

- Drop Pods still have to land 9" away AND units need to stay 9" away with disembark

NAILED IT on powerfists.

I weep for drop pod flamers :(

He's a really, really, old man, but I for one want to see Primaris Dante.

YES PLEASE, now that is a way to give him a beautiful new model and give me an excuse to use my metal Archaon model for my chapter master :D

Ewww. By saying "potentially" that implies we're rolling for DC again :/ :/ :/

I think they were just being coy, and they just said "the flaw" no specifics.

Rolling for model count is bad.

The loss of Drop Pod flamer squads is really unfortunate. As well as Drop Pod Melta squads. That's basically our whole alpha strike capability gone in one go. :(

Ah well hopefully Jump Packs do deep strike the same way and get a bonus on the charge roll so our alpha strike would just shift towards more melee...yay? :D

Anyway, the revelation about existing Marines being able to get the Primaris upgrade might have moved me towards thinking about a Knights of Blood army with mostly Primaris in it depending on how the fighting on Baal develops. :whistling:

The loss of Drop Pod flamer squads is really unfortunate. As well as Drop Pod Melta squads. That's basically our whole alpha strike capability gone in one go. :(

Ah well hopefully Jump Packs do deep strike the same way and get a bonus on the charge roll so our alpha strike would just shift towards more melee...yay? :D

Anyway, the revelation about existing Marines being able to get the Primaris upgrade might have moved me towards thinking about a Knights of Blood army with mostly Primaris in it depending on how the fighting on Baal develops. :whistling:

Mate, Drop pod multi-meltas, drop pod heavy bolters, drop pod plasma guns/cannons. Isn't all bad.

There won't be rolling for DC again. That's the opposite of streamlined and balanced, and everything 8e is trying to achieve. Random rolls are going away, not being added.

:whistling:

Drop Pod Melta squads will be great - you can guarantee placement within 12" Meltagun range. Won't be within 6" for the 2d6 take the highest, but they'll still do d6 damage, which is perfect for alpha strike on high wounds models.