+++++
Motivation Subroutines ∙ Recalibrating… *HARSH BINARIC SCREECHING!!*
+++
Praxis Protocols Initialized ∙ Motivation Subroutines… Altered
++
++++
++++++
Rx5BZiS.png
+++ Output Quota ∙ Inadequate +++ Incentive Reprimand ∙ Administered +++ +++ Information Exchange ∙ Update +++ +++ +++ Output Quota ∙ Adjusting Parameters… +++
++++++
Comm-Link ∙ Active
+++++++++
++
Update Incoming ∙ Standby…
+++++
++++++++
+++

That's pretty awesome. Your Mechanicus forces are going to look really unique.

Thanks! Yep, that's the plan. From the paint job to the look of the wargear I want the army to be familiar Mechanicus but I want it to really feel like it's an autonomous forge world that has access to lost and/or unsanctioned designs. The Onagers are the last piece in this starting core to the collection so it's really nice to finally see them this far along.

Please tell me you have some super duper expensive forgeworld... Resin Printer. Those upgrades really are very well done to what I usually expect from todays printers.

Praise to the Omnissiah for guiding my search in seeking a 3D printer and providing Servitor Solus to my humble studio. Solus is a resin DLP 3D printer intentionally designed for medical, dental, jewelry, and model/miniature applications where small-scale high-resolution prints are needed. The build area is limited to about the size of a credit card (I'm positive Forge World's printers have much larger build areas) but it makes up for that with industry leading surface quality and geometric accuracy that is mind blowing. It's not a trick of the light or angle in the pictures, the prints really are that smooth and precise, right from the printer. While not exactly cheap, Solus is much more reasonable compared to the $30,000 to $50,000 price-tag that was the norm not that many years ago, and today there are many more lower cost resin printers coming on the market that may not reach the level of Solus but can produce amazing results for being under $1,000 in price.

jaix3HU.png

Greetings fellow Forgeworld [unrecongnisable digital handshake, possibly Stygian in nature]

Yeah that kind of accuracy at 1000 and under is a huge leap for the printing industry, you can feel it taking off slowly with the mid range now hitting around 3-400 for mainstream and the 1000 bracket for the hobbyists. Via la Forgeworld Revolution!

Its a bit like the VR industry both had a lot of "OMG its coming" with the original units being sub par but even though everyone has kind of forgotten about them companies have been making units better and cheaper to the point that sometime in the near future a normal consumer will be able to get something that is respectable and then things really start to change.

I really do like the heads on the Kastellans, I saw some on Ebay a while back but these seem to fit better with the circular shape.

Edited by Black_Knight

+++++++++

++

++++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

+++++++

Data-Link ∙ Active

+++++

++

Decrypting …

+++++++

++

Data File Lo.4313-7 ∙ Displaying…

++++++

+++

++++

So, life, the universe, and everything keep pulling me in several directions the last while and that’s got my brain just a bit preoccupied. I want to sit down and write more, but wording is harder than usual right now. While I have been distracted and somewhat sporadic with updates I’m striving to not be idle in the studio or the hobby bench so I figured a nice dump of large images with minimal text was the order of the day.

YZIPZHF.png

jSbfMXZ.png

∙ With decals finally ready to go I can get down to actually properly finishing some models, like the Kastelan ‘Bots and Datasmith.

I still think the contrast of white decals would have been interesting but I’m completely happy with the black and ultimately I think it’s a better match to the blue-and-black scheme. Maybe I’ll get some white ones done in the future and use them to make alternate units using them or something.

glEOc22.png

Ku5LqCi.png

∙ To say I’m pleased with how the ammo hoppers and feeds turned out would be an understatement. They take some tweaking to get right…

… but the result is totally worth the effort; now that’s a Kastelan that looks like it could spray out some phosphor rounds. You’re usually staring at the backs of your models when they’re on the table so they may as well look good from behind.

Hd0nPdc.png

∙ Is the Dragoon just a really large model or do I need to consider a larger photography backdrop? I think it’s both, yeah?

Being all legs and Tazer Lances the Dragoons are quite challenging to completely frame in the shot as a complete unit without cropping anything. Since the projects are going to get much larger over time *glances at the Knight and Kytan sitting off in the corner* I guess it’s time to consider a larger backdrop solution.

YXFFBgG.png

LWlv46B.png

∙ I also overlooked priming the backpacks for the Skitarii riders, so they’re not quite finished yet…  but so close!

I’ll get around to the backpacks the next time I prime some other stuff, so these will catch up soon enough.

Speaking of things that will need to be primed in the near future…

5H9Lb9I.png

∙ Patiently waiting their turn for several years it’s so nice to finally get a unit of Onagers on the workbench.

The extra time was worth the wait  

bI2KbTv.png

OsNNXq3.png

∙ Yeah, that’s it, make a build for a model that’s already chocked full of all sorts of bits and gubbins, even more involved. Good call.

Well, it’s not like I can stop now, can I?

*Ponders a moment to consider the chorus of whispers endlessly taunting me with ideas and inspiration*

Yeah… that’s not going to happen.

rdCCJ65.png

∙ All dressed up and waiting on the final bits and pieces… so many, hoses, cables, ladders, rails, and antenna… seriously.

I’m learning to love to hate to love the Mechanicus line. So many little bits to add to the models that make them look excellent… and make them more complex to paint… and did I mention it’s only a matter of when, not if, you’ll snap an antenna off? Wonderful, delicate, detailed, frustrating, unique, and tedious all in one. Perfect for my mildly masochistic tendencies really, I suppose.

4ImI6vx.png

∙ And of course, I had to add one last bit to the mix. You’ve come this far, so know you saw it coming.

I was going to convert the Heavy Stubber included in the kit but I figured it would just be more straightforward to simply 3D model the entire bit in one go. Nothing too complex so it wasn’t hard to whip up. Still waiting on the first prints of this bit even as I write this.

Ok, so you can expect to see much more blue over the coming weeks as I apply many decals to many models and get them properly finished and table ready. I’m already eager to get on to some bigger projects but the foundation and first floor is almost done and I can’t get distracted quite yet.

Omnissiah guide my hands of inferior flesh so that I might make your divine inspirations real.

hqzjXWL.png

AkMCkHv.png

∙ Hobby-OCD appeased… It's not a massive change but I'm glad I raised the barrels to align them with the round cut in the sloped front armour. The fit just feels more deliberate now.

I also adjusted the details on the barrel a bit to get the match really close to the Stubber under the Neutron Laser and then a quick mirror to make parts for the left and right, because yeah, I’m keeping all three Stubbers. Still lots of little bits to attach, but the custom stuff is done and they're in the home stretch before they get hit with some primer.

Ok, bed ways is right ways now. I have no idea what my next update will be, or when. We'll see what I get up to…

Yep, those stubbers look a lot more fitting than the original ones' position.

I was going to convert the Heavy Stubber included in the kit but I figured it would just be more straightforward to simply 3D model the entire bit in one go.

Sounds a bit like "I could have just converted it, but the scalpel is all the way over there...3D model it is". :biggrin.:

But yeah, with that level of routine in design/printing, it's the cleaner solution, and easier to reproduce.

• 2 months later...

+++++++

++++

Scanning…

++++++

++++++

Scanning…

++++++++
+++

Interference Variable Shift ∙ Decrease 2.381–1.417

+++

Modulating Field Harmonics…

++++++++++

Interference Variable Shift ∙ Decrease 1.417–0.621

+++++

+++++++

Comm-Link ∙ Attempting Reconnect…

+++++

+++

Adjusting Frequency…

+++

++++++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

+++

Priority Communication ∙ Target H-74 Identified

Priority Communication ∙ Target Telemetry Uplinked…

Priority Communication ∙ 1st Triarii Skitarii Vanguard 75 Requesting Directed Support

++++++

Cogitating ∙ Support Request Requirements…

+++

++++++++

FRmWhA1.png

+++ Diverting ∙ 3rd Triarii Onager Maniple 25 +++ +++ 25.22 - 25.33 - 25.34  ∙ Telemetry Downlinked +++ E.T.A. ∙ 7.25 Minutes +++

+++++

++++++

Interference Variable Shift ∙ Increase 0.621–1.136

+++++++

++++

Comm-Link ∙ Connection Lost

+++++++

Comm-Link ∙ Attempting Reconnect…

+++

+++++

Scanning…

++++++

++++++++

Wow, what a wonderful project! This to be is such a great example of how color can change a model, the blue on those Castelllans really changes the feel of the model over the usual red. Both the subtle  and major conversions are so well applied too to keep the feel but make them so unique even if its not immediately recognized to someone like me with limited admech experience.

Seriously awesome!

Looks good. Is this going to be a variant Dunecrawler pattern or are those legs going to be for a larger model? I look forward to the update either way.

How do you make the parts for these models fit? I get the impression there's a lot of fine measurement going on that I hadn't really considered previously. Mechanicus kits are already a bit fiddly without having to model the contact points for you own parts! 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
++++

++++++++

+++

Comm-Link ∙ Attempting Reconnect…

+++++

++++++

Adjusting Frequency…

+++

+++++++

Pm5G53P.png

+++ Comm-Link ‧ Active +++ Neural Congress ‧ Initialized +++ Data Uplink ‧ Initializing +++ Decrypting Uplink ‧ Ongoing +++ Standby... +++

+++++++++

++++

++++++

• 2 weeks later...
++++

++++++++

+++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

++++

Damn it. I feel like Prince Herbert in Monty Python and the Holy Grail; “… but I don’t want to get married, I just want to, sing!” … “No no no, there’ll be none of that!”

+++

+++++++

2y5LY2E.png

+++ Decrypting Uplink ‧ Halt! +++ Neural Congress ‧ Initialized +++ Data Uplink ‧ Corrupt +++ Decrypting Uplink ‧ Repairing +++

+++++++++

++++

I don’t want to write, I just want to, build! I just want to, paint! … No no no you don’t, there’ll be none of that procrastination; get writing!

++++++++

++++++

Motivation Subroutines ∙ Recalibrating… *HARSH BINARIC SCREECHING!!*

+++

+++++

hBAa7j2.png

+++ Exchange Output ∙ Inadequate +++ Incentive Reprimand ∙ Administered +++ Information Exchange ∙  Adjusting Parameters… +++

+++++++

Praxis Protocols Initialized ∙ Motivation Subroutines… Altered

+++++

+++

+++++++

Those are fantastic. Probably the best conversions I've seen for servitors. Looks like it was fairly simple to get rid of the cult details and replace them with suitable iconography but the other details really sell them as some kind of multi-task servitors. I think my Magos would be happy to have some slaves workers with that many tools at their disposal.

Thanks! That's the great thing about the Mechanicus model range, the plethora of left over bits provides so many opportunities; in battle Servitors are basically walking piles of spare parts so it's fitting and they really look the role, if I dare say so myself. In fact, the three counts-as HQ models above the Servitors are also made completely from spare bits except for the Electro-priest legs use as the base; more images of those coming soon. And yes, covering the GSC symbol really is as simple as gluing an appropriately sized round detail directly over top without any other preparation besides adding a tiny notch to the disk so it can fit nice and tight with the chain link. I now have a new appreciation for all sorts of bits that I don't really have a use for, but there are some tiny skulls, cogs, or other details, on them that I can shave off and use for just these kinds of purposes. I also want to do a few with Phosphor Blasters for counts-as Heavy Bolters for binaric giggles, but a four model basic load-out unit made more sense to start.

Quite beautiful! 

I am so envious that you've taken a task I literally can't stand (assembly) and turned into a work of art. 

I'm wrestling with 2 Archeopters, I've already lost the odd piece from, and took 2 weeks to put them together with some magnification and they aren't my finest installation work. That's for sure. Then I see this and I'm ashamed of my disdain for the process, when you seem have such creative results!

Thanks again. I'm not quite sure if 'beautiful' is the best descriptor I would use for general duty Servitors, but I can take the compliment. :smile.:

I have, dare I say, an almost unhealthy obsession with model building; I've been building complex three dimensional objects with paper and cardboard since I was 5-6, building proper model kits since I was 8-9, started 40k with all it's model assembly around 14, and started scratch building with styrene in my mid 20's. I enjoy painting, but primarily as a means to an end, because I want to see the model in all its painted glory. But with building, bashing, converting, and assembly, I enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

P.S. But, of all the GW models I've assembled over the years, the models from the AdMech line are some of the only ones that have been daunting and/or challenging to assemble on a level beyond most other factions; they're much more fiddly than most of GWs offerings.

Edited by Subtle Discord

P.S. But, of all the GW models I've assembled over the years, the models from the AdMech line are some of the only ones that have been daunting and/or challenging to assemble on a level beyond most other factions; they're much more fiddly than most of GWs offerings.

I feel that acutely. I remember sweating/crying all the way through Belisarius Cawl. That was a terrifying modelling project that was near miraculous for me not breaking anything. It's still one of my favorite GW models when finished though. Every time you accidentally touch that cable carrying skull on his back by accident and it twangs angrily it's a minor panic attack for me.