8th Edition Guard Discussion

Indefragable

Anyone liking that Astropath ability ‘Astral Divination’?

In your shooting phase pick an enemy unit within 18”, for the rest of this phase the enemy unit gets no bonus saving throw for being in cover, when targeted by Astra Militarum units within 6” of the Astropath.

Could be nice mounted in a vehicle dishing out firepower.

He’s fairly cheap, and if placed in a vehicle, to save even more points don’t buy that telepathica stave, just give him the free laspistol.

^^^^ sounds pretty sweet.

In regards to melta, I was thinking about carrying around a command squad with 4 melta with another command squad with 3flamers and a medic riding around in a taurox prime acting as a quick reactive unit. Can unload both and unleash or drop off and keep driving can even throw in a commander + psyler for orders or wtv for flavour.

Anyone liking that Astropath ability ‘Astral Divination’?

In your shooting phase pick an enemy unit within 18”, for the rest of this phase the enemy unit gets no bonus saving throw for being in cover, when targeted by Astra Militarum units within 6” of the Astropath.

Could be nice mounted in a vehicle dishing out firepower.

He’s fairly cheap, and if placed in a vehicle, to save even more points don’t buy that telepathica stave, just give him the free laspistol.

He's brilliant, especially as he can still cast the +1 Armour Save power (or -2 Leadership to make the Morale tests from that firepower more dangerous). He also works on any model with the AM keyword, including Baneblade variants (killer on the Stormlord, and making any variant with that many wounds Save 2+ is almost unfair). Sticking him in the middle of a gaggle of Leman Russes or Heavy Weapon Teams is also devastating.

Just bear in mind that whilst in a vehicle no abilities work so he has to be on the table, making him rather vulnerable (especially to units hunting the stuff he is supporting if going down the vehicle/super-heavy route).

I've been watching 8th Ed. Battle Reports on the miniwargaming channel on youtube and one of them was Astra Militarum vs. Tyranids.

After seeing the game in action (and some of how the Guard works) I think my reservations have been assuaged somewhat if that's a thing.

So, yeah.

Play is very different but it doesn't seem ~awful~ like I was afraid it would be.

I may have to pick up some stuff to adjust my unit compositions but that's something to deal with later.

Edit: I don't remember if it's kosher or not, but here's the link to the Guard/Tyranids battle report: 

I love the mechanic of withdrawing from close combat with the Tyranids, and then shooting them with the Get Back In the Fight order. It just feels very Guard to me. Run away from the Genesteelers that just ate Jenkins, see the angry commissar and company commander, turn around and shoot point blank into the Genesteelers.

Which is scarier? The Genesteeler that may eat me, or the commissar behind me that WILL shoot me if I don't keep fighting.

I also like how they can fall back from combat and then the rest of the gun line just opens fire point blank. Again, it feels very Guard to me.

Thanks for sharing that batrep. I don't know, the Guard player's dice seemed fairly average, but that Demolisher and Vanquisher practically killed the Carnifex in turn 1.

I didn't pay full attention ... do Tyrannids have some special rule that ignores battle shock? I didn't see the Tyranid player taking Battle Shock tests.

Archived