hopes, dreams, and fears for sisters in 8th

micahwc

Huh, no mention on condemnor boltguns...im kinda annoyed that sisters of silence are a thing now seeing as antipsyker was a SoB stick, now even thats being taken away from them.

Sisters have never actually been particularly anti-psyker in terms of capability, only in terms of their beliefs.

At their best the WH codex gave them a 5+ against targeted effects and immunity to minor powers, but they were pretty low on the totem pole of 'proper' psychic defense.

If the condemnor really is the rumoured 1pt I can't see any reason other than lack of converted models why a player wouldn't spend out the last of their spare points throwing them on random superiors on the off-chance of doubling up a bolter wound.

Units that should be in a command squad are taking up Elite spots. If you've enough Simulacrum Imperialis' to fit all your squads with one, they're now taking up an Elite spot. Blessed Banner (command squad) & the battle banner - dropped.

Well, to be fair, I haven't used a SoB Elite slot in all the years I've played, and I only got close with IA putting Command Squads in that slot.

It's good to see that the Celestians are as dumb and useless as ever. 2 attacks on a S3 T3 chasis with no special melee weapons and an ability to soak wound for characters that cant be easily targeted by shooting attacks and who will avoid going into melee like thge plague.

Why they could not be given a special ammo type to set them apart from normal sisters I will never know.

It's good to see that the Celestians are as dumb and useless as ever. 2 attacks on a S3 T3 chasis with no special melee weapons and an ability to soak wound for characters that cant be easily targeted by shooting attacks and who will avoid going into melee like thge plague.

Why they could not be given a special ammo type to set them apart from normal sisters I will never know.

I was hoping for them all to be allowed combo-weapons

So something I noticed is that Repentia don't have real eviscerators. Now that could mean that the points leaked before were only for a REAL eviscerator and that the Repentia get theirs free of charge. And 17 point Repentia is not bad at all for what they bring to the table. The points leak never mentioned this specific weapon that they have and it said anything not mentioned was included.

I'm not sold, at -1WS for Sx2 -2AP the repentia dont seem to have much of a edge over other melee options.

Their old anti tank is dead and will be done better by melta toting dominions and retributors.

If you want a unit in your army to go into melee with marines then death cultists and their 4 re-rollable S4 AP -2 attacks that hit on a 3+ seem better, faster and cheaper and if going into chaff such as guardsmen then arco-flagellants with their 2d3 re-rollable S5 attacks are better, faster and cheaper.

I'm not sold, at -1WS for Sx2 -2AP the repentia dont seem to have much of a edge over other melee options.

Their old anti tank is dead and will be done better by melta toting dominions and retributors.

If you want a unit in your army to go into melee with marines then death cultists and their 4 re-rollable S4 AP -2 attacks that hit on a 3+ seem better, faster and cheaper and if going into chaff such as guardsmen then arco-flagellants with their 2d3 re-rollable S5 attacks are better, faster and cheaper.

It's not too great, but 17 points per model is a lot better than 39 points per model if I'm right. I too would prefer death cult assassins anyway, but there's the matter of fitting things into the adeptas sororitas tag.

Repentia were nigh useless for me striking at Initiative 1 so I'm cautiously optimistic of the new 8th Edition Repentia. I have quite a few of them unassembled and would love to field the larger doom squad I always wanted.

Repentia get a reroll to hit if their mistress is nearby, so it's really a 25% to hit if you keep them together. Throw a priest in there and they gain an additional attack, bringing them up to 3 str 6 Ap -2 Damage 2 attacks...

A preist buffs death cults to 5 attacks that do one damage vs 3 attacks that hit a little more often and do 2.

One is better at killing Marines and the other is better at killing primaris Marines?

I dunno. Repentia also get aof which mean they can attack twice or move twice so that's also something to think about.

I wouldn't say they are any worse or better than death cults, just different.

Huh, no mention on condemnor boltguns...im kinda annoyed that sisters of silence are a thing now seeing as antipsyker was a SoB stick, now even thats being taken away from them.

Hopes....all Sisters grow wings and become angelic figures with boltguns flying around wrecking face.

...but we all know thatll be given to marines

Yeah no. Why would I want the Sisters to become mutants? I would be legitimately upset if that happened.

Hopes....all Sisters grow wings and become angelic figures with boltguns flying around wrecking face.

Yeah no. Why would I want the Sisters to become mutants? I would be legitimately upset if that happened.

Haha, as would I. Just random rambling heresies a friend of mine mentioned of some fella predicting sisters to become an Order Daemons army. This notion requires much purging.

Haha, as would I. Just random rambling heresies a friend of mine mentioned of some fella predicting sisters to become an Order Daemons army. This notion requires much purging.

Celestine's lore in Gathering Storm does seem to suggest that there was some vestige of the Emperor trying to do just that.

But the Imperium already has it's daemons....they're called "Legion of the Damned".

Repentia get a reroll to hit if their mistress is nearby, so it's really a 25% to hit if you keep them together. Throw a priest in there and they gain an additional attack, bringing them up to 3 str 6 Ap -2 Damage 2 attacks...

A preist buffs death cults to 5 attacks that do one damage vs 3 attacks that hit a little more often and do 2.

One is better at killing Marines and the other is better at killing primaris Marines?

I dunno. Repentia also get aof which mean they can attack twice or move twice so that's also something to think about.

A single Death Cult Assassin with no buffs averages .889 wounds against a Primaris in the second and subsequent rounds of combat.  If it's the first round of combat (so zealot re-rolls), 1.185 wounds.  With a Priest on the first round, it would go up to 1.481 wounds.

A single Repentia with no buffs would do .889 against a Primaris (with the wound doubling).  With a Mistress, it would go up to 1.333 wounds.  With a Priest and a Mistress, 2 wounds.

So, yeah, Repentia are a bit of a waste against non-multi-wound units, but decent/good against things like Primaris Marines.  The only downside I see is if a lot of high toughness monsters end up getting a toughness higher than six.  Also, they really need support from at least the Mistress.

And the mistress is a separate Elites choice now :D

I'm sad to lose the command squad. Sad Celestians weren't addressed. They nerfed Repentia for no reason, the Exorcist looks pretty OK. Hand flamers are d6 hits. All in all, I'm looking forward to it, especially playing around with the AoFs. I'll be taking lots of Elites choices.

Oh, and I'll miss my blob squad of 20 Sisters. I think that loss is going to hit me as hard as losing my 5 heavy flamer command squad, and my Banner that no longer does anything unless I proxy it as a Simulacrum.

To get the extra attack and re-roll you need two characters to remain within 6" of the repentia.

The death cultists require neither character for their re-roll so the points could be used to buy more death cultists to have even more re-rollable attacks

9 repentia, 1 preist and 1 mistress are 14 power.

For 14 power you can have 28 death cultists.

Still, you could use an AoF to get them to move double and then charge, or to move and attack and then pile in and attack again. I mean, it's a shame they seem super expensive for a tshirt but they'll still be useful.

And DCA's reroll only work the first round of combat, so they lose effective ness of they stay in combat. Not that either squad will survive a counter attack.

Depending on how wound allocation works with characters in CC, i might actually use Celestians with Canoness Raedia (she has an Evicerator and wants to get into cc). Wound be nice for them to have some use. Not as good as a command squad, but if they're the only way to keep Raedia alive in cc, I'll use them.

If you move them using the Act of Faith and then charge with them you will more than likely end up moving them away from their re-rolls and extra attack buffs if you use a priest.

Actually what unit in the Imperial Guard will ever want a priest? The War Hymn gives out +1 attack but there are no infantry units in the Guard I can think of that would actually ever want to go into melee.

So Celestians did get one bit of utility added in when you look past their statline: they can intercept wounds given to characters. Using them to protect a Canoness actually makes sense now.

So Celestians did get one bit of utility added in when you look past their statline: they can intercept wounds given to characters. Using them to protect a Canoness actually makes sense now.

That is only really going to matter if your canoness is in combat though which is typically a faliure state for a Sisters of Battle army.

Hell the canoness is now just a walking re-roll generator now and with templates not being a thing you could just put a wall of battle sisters around her to block LoS to her.

Honestly? These rules leave me even less enthused about 8th than before. There isn't a single piece of silver lining:

BSS max size cut

Loss of command squads

Non-scaling AoF

Shoehorned into a specific detachment in order to field enough elites to make AoF worthwhile (this one irks me more than anything else)

Heavy Flamer now Heavy

Even harder to Deny the Witch through SoF than before

Penitent Engines even more expensive

Eviscerators same cost as Marine eviscerators at lower Str

Acts of Faith themselves seem rather uninspiring outside of Divine Guidance

Massive cost increase for immolators (132 pts for TLMM)

Archived