Primaris and the Black Templars

Well I think the only way Templars would accept them would be to "upgrade" existing marines. So you could really go whatever direction you want, even mixing it up within the squad and still be fluffy Edited by Acebaur

I'm more concerned how I'm going to paint the bulk of them, treat them as initiates, sword brothers? I'm thinking the lieutenants and the ancient at least will be sword brothers but not sure on the rest.

Paint them as appropiate to the roles they hold. LTs could easilly be Sword Brethren, as could Ancients while the rest are likely Initiates.

Though I'm still having trouble wanting to put the models into my Crusade without chains and tabards. Both correctable things, but they're important things too.

Well I think the only way Templars would accept them would be to "upgrade" existing marines. So you could really go whatever direction you want, even mixing it up within the squad and still be fluffy

This is what I'll do if I decide to include Primaris Marines in my crusade. Old brothers that have already proven themselves being made more powerful.

I'm more concerned how I'm going to paint the bulk of them, treat them as initiates, sword brothers? I'm thinking the lieutenants and the ancient at least will be sword brothers but not sure on the rest.

Paint them as appropiate to the roles they hold. LTs could easilly be Sword Brethren, as could Ancients while the rest are likely Initiates.

Though I'm still having trouble wanting to put the models into my Crusade without chains and tabards. Both correctable things, but they're important things too.

Due to cost I've actually got a fair number of models without tabards, I just try and keep some sort of templar bit included in every model. Whether it's a helmet, shoulder pad, backpack, they have to have something whenever possible.

I'll probably just use some of the extra bits I haven't used and add them, maybe try and work some terminator shoulder pads into a few models from the starter kit as the shoulder pads are already attached.

Has anyone painted a Primaris in Templar colors? I haven't stumbled across any.

Yes. The stripe on the left shoulder pad is the painter's crusade badge apparently. Can't explain the white helmets though.

The Primaris booklet included in the Dark Imperium set has a guide for Primaris Templar pauldron colors. From what I recall, Intercessors have the standard Initiate scheme, black trim, black cross over white. The Inceptors ("close support") have the Assault marine scheme, and "fire support" (I am assuming Hellblasters) have the scheme used by Chaplains, black trim and pauldron with a white cross.

I'm actually disappointed we got this; I wanted the Templars to be divergent in their implementation and organization of Primaris marines as well, as they are with standard Space Marine organization. I guess I was foolish to hope that we would get a unique unit. Eh, whatever; a few less kits to buy I suppose.

The Primaris booklet included in the Dark Imperium set has a guide for Primaris Templar pauldron colors. From what I recall, Intercessors have the standard Initiate scheme, black trim, black cross over white. The Inceptors ("close support") have the Assault marine scheme, and "fire support" (I am assuming Hellblasters) have the scheme used by Chaplains, black trim and pauldron with a white cross.

I'm actually disappointed we got this; I wanted the Templars to be divergent in their implementation and organization of Primaris marines as well, as they are with standard Space Marine organization. I guess I was foolish to hope that we would get a unique unit. Eh, whatever; a few less kits to buy I suppose.

Frankly I'd stick to our usual shoulder pad colors....assuming I use any color other than black for the trim:

http://i.imgur.com/AOXtgAi.jpg

Do keep in mind that what we are seeing now is the "benchmark" roll out for Primaris and Codex SM. We won't know what we're actually getting until all the new codexes come out.

You can choose to do whatever you want with your money, but from an organizational perspective, it's just a tad early.

Do keep in mind that what we are seeing now is the "benchmark" roll out for Primaris and Codex SM. We won't know what we're actually getting until all the new codexes come out.

You can choose to do whatever you want with your money, but from an organizational perspective, it's just a tad early.

I suppose you're right; I am making assumptions. I'll try and be more positive.

Frankly I'd stick to our usual shoulder pad colors....assuming I use any color other than black for the trim:

I wasn't suggesting that the new system was better or that we switch to it.

I wasn't suggesting that the new system was better or that we switch to it.

Never claimed you were, just stating my opinion about the change and how I'll be approaching it.

Well I'm taking a hobby break. If I see anything interesting I'll be back. Happy crusading guys.

+ I FIND YOUR LACK OF ZEAL... +

Well, OK. Fair enough, enjoy your break, Brother. We will still be crusading whenever you decide to come back. Hopefully in better spirits!

tbh, I'm looking to face my Crusaders against these new comers... everyone seems to be enjoying them, but I think I'll be happier wiping the floor with them...

I'll add them to the list of loyalist heretics... Wulfen, Skirt Marines and now Ultra-Giants...

and if it does get to the point where GW decides that there will be no more squat Marines and that there would be Primaris Templar upgrade sprues... then I'll take that Hobby break that Sete went on... and I'm not sure if I'll return as a Templar after that point... sorry brothers, but I've devoted more than enough time and money into my Templar Crusade to actually bite into this scheme of theirs... as an additional force, I reckon a lot of you would be excited for the Primaris... but in the long run when these guys are actually replacing our current models... I would reckon there would be oceans of beard-y men tears and pyres of plastic and paint as thousands of dollars and countless hours become wasted effort... Even if that happens, I'm not jumping the boat then... I'll sink with this ship and turn it into a submersible, fighting and playing with my head and a half shorter Astartes despite what my FLGS tells me...

that or I'll turn Nids... those guys won't need a re-scale in the next decade right?

tbh, I'm looking to face my Crusaders against these new comers... everyone seems to be enjoying them, but I think I'll be happier wiping the floor with them...

I'll add them to the list of loyalist heretics... Wulfen, Skirt Marines and now Ultra-Giants...

and if it does get to the point where GW decides that there will be no more squat Marines and that there would be Primaris Templar upgrade sprues... then I'll take that Hobby break that Sete went on... and I'm not sure if I'll return as a Templar after that point... sorry brothers, but I've devoted more than enough time and money into my Templar Crusade to actually bite into this scheme of theirs... as an additional force, I reckon a lot of you would be excited for the Primaris... but in the long run when these guys are actually replacing our current models... I would reckon there would be oceans of beard-y men tears and pyres of plastic and paint as thousands of dollars and countless hours become wasted effort... Even if that happens, I'm not jumping the boat then... I'll sink with this ship and turn it into a submersible, fighting and playing with my head and a half shorter Astartes despite what my FLGS tells me...

that or I'll turn Nids... those guys won't need a re-scale in the next decade right?

I've got your back on this one. The new models appear to be cool, but that's largely due to the novelty factor and GW's increasingly good quality of models.

For the Primaris in the starter kit, I'm not getting any: I've way too many proper Marines* to finish and the Primaris as available now are not Templar enough for me (and I'm not sold on the idea of Primaris in the universe, and I don't like the monotonous, uniform armours, and no CC-oriented squads for now, and some other stuff as well). The one thing I've learned after all these years in the hobby is to be patient and don't fall into the trap of buying each new toy straight away. This seems particularly true now, with GW's plot and universe advancements. Considering the Gathering Storm books and now the new edition, I feel that more and more surprising stuff will happen. For financial reasons, however, GW won't show us even the majority of the picture, but will slowly "feed us" with new, cool models that are bigger and better than anything they've done before. This is probably pretty cool, but I'm not buying it for the time being. I have thousands of points of unassembled models in various condition and I don't need thousands more of Primaris that I will probably struggle to fit into an actual gaming list.

The one thing I'm curious about is whether in a casual environment people would have an issue with playing against me using a 5-man squad of plasma gunners on 32 mm bases as count-as Primaris. The unit is cool, their weapons are great; the only drawback is the silly name :D

Patience is a Crusader's greatest virtue.

* I hope we won't have to refer to the current line as "OOP Marines" anytime soon.

IS THIS WHAT A TEMPLAR SPEAKS WHEN FACED WITH ADVERSITY?

YOU HAVE BEEN A STALWART CRUSADER FOR TOO LONG TO SUCCUMB TO THE INSIDIOUS NATURE OF THE CHAOTIC WHISPERS NOW LEAKING OUT OF THE WARP.

DID GRIMALDUS HARBOR DOUBTS WHEN FACED WITH THE ENORMITY OF HIS TASK? YES, BUT HE PRESSED ON REGARDLESS, ELEVATING HIS NAME, INSPIRING US ALL TO PRESS ON REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES, UNTIL THE END.

YOU ARE FACED WITH TWO CHOICES...ONE SIMPLE, AND ONE REQUIRING THAT YOU DRAW DEEP FROM THE RESERVOIRS OF HATRED AND WRATH BURNED INTO YOUR VERY BEING AND IGNITE YOUR RAGE.

WILL YOU FADE INTO THE DARKNESS, ITS FALSE SECURITY PROMISING TO WARM YOUR BONES DESPITE THE COLDNESS IN YOUR UNBEATING HEARTS?

OR, WILL YOU GRAB YOUR CHAINSWORD, TURN TO THE ENEMY AND SET YOUR RESOLVE, DETERMINED NEVER TO YIELD.

IF I SAY TO YOU, "UNTIL THE END", WHAT WILL YOU ANSWER?

Brothers, Marshals, Chaplains, this humble Sword Brother wishes to address you all.

My eyes squint into the new dawn behind the lenses of my helmet, and ahead of me is a future unknown. The enemy stands on the horizon, taunting and cajoling us, wishing to incite either our fear or doubt. They laugh at us, brothers, as we bicker amongst ourselves, as they have always done. They stand against us, and they watch as our forces diminish in protest to innovation and forward progress.

I know not the motivations of the Marshals and Chaplains, I only know my orders. Those orders say to purge the witch, the heretic, the unclean, the mutant, and the xenos. This is all I need to know.

I take up my sword day and night to obey these orders, and sneer at the pitiful attempts of the enemy to shake my faith. It is strong, brothers, and I know no fear in the prosecution of my orders. Fear at innovation is something foreign to me. If it helps me slay the enemy in front of me, that is all I need.

My Power Sword surges to Holy life almost without conscious thought on my part, a reflex bred into my very being from battles too many and long ago to count. I hear the engines of Chain Swords rev in response to my own actions.

I point my Sword at the enemies of Mankind, knowing that this will either be their last day, or mine, and I am content. My sneer turns into an outright grin, known only to me.

New Marines are here now, their rifles clacking to respond to the majestic rumble of our blades, as ready for action as we are. We shall put their resolve and ZEAL to the test as the Crusade continues. Time alone will tell if these new upgrades (and I do say upgrades, as we will never allow outsiders into the chapter) meet with our approval or are to be scorned. That is for the Marshals and Chaplains to decide.

I feel my grin curl into a snarl as I start toward that uncertain horizon. I am a Crusader. That is all I need to know. My pace quickens. My hearts begin to beat faster. I know my Brothers are with me. I need not look to know this. My Marshals and Chaplains are here as well, just as eager for the coming slaughter as I am.

Primarus Marines, you will be tested. Find your ZEAL, hold it tight to your soul, and scream at the top of all of your lungs as you smash into the enemy lines:

NO PITY, NO REMORSE, NO FEAR!

​We would all do well to remember that.