8th Ed Tactics thread

One question that came up: once my land raider had it's movement reduced to 3" a turn, does it still roll 2d6 for charge distance?

My GK opponent and I had the same question on the weekend. I believe so which is mildly hilarious! :)

I for one am glad the buffs to the Taurox, I do not believe the Chimera has been nerfed.

Conscripts were super handy as buffer units in my game and my Lord Commissar was a blast to play with!

I was armour heavy because I wanted a quick game, but next time I will bring more troops and leverage orders.

The Basilisk and Pask in Vanquisher did work against my opponents Land Raider.

The Basilisk did ok against his terminators, it would appear its role now is similar to the LRBT. Heavy vehicles and multi wound creatures.

I was happy I could field it though and actually survived multiple rounds of combat! :D

Actually that was my biggest take away, its not an instant game over once tanks are in CC and that was against terminators with hammers!

Interesting tactic I was thinking about. Suppose some enemy is rolling into your lines with a landraider. Most unpleasant. In front of your lines is a 50 man conscript squad. you then order "Move, Move, Move!" on said squad, rush them 19 inches forward, and totally surround said Land Raider, staying an inch away. The enemy is now unable to do anything, as it is impossible to disembark with any units, and they can't move through enemy models. Their only option is to kill the conscripts. Except they'll be at a 600 point disadvantage while they do so, so with luck they'll be tied up for three turns.

Interesting tactic I was thinking about. Suppose some enemy is rolling into your lines with a landraider. Most unpleasant. In front of your lines is a 50 man conscript squad. you then order "Move, Move, Move!" on said squad, rush them 19 inches forward, and totally surround said Land Raider, staying an inch away. The enemy is now unable to do anything, as it is impossible to disembark with any units, and they can't move through enemy models. Their only option is to kill the conscripts. Except they'll be at a 600 point disadvantage while they do so, so with luck they'll be tied up for three turns.

This maneuver was used to burn troopers inside transports as they could not disembark because of vehicle destroyed. The tricky part was not to explode the vehicle. But you need to be careful with redeemers

Edited by Shamansky

I think the conscript suicide tank assault unit is probably a good idea - certainly if said tank is filled with nasties like Assault Terminators or Khorne Bezerkers etc.

The only thing to be wary of is needing the movement to completely surround the vehicle.

You can get a chimera with double heavy flamers, though - 2D6 Autohits S5 AP-1 at a 12" move on a T7W10 Model isn't so bad. Although the Taurox Prime gives awesome 4+D6  S7 AP-1 with multiple damage on a +4 to hit when moving 12"- both are tempting aahh

Mm. I'm not a fan of heavy flamers on Chimeras. They don't really have the range and they force you to get close to potentially violent units like Ork Boyz or whatnot. That said, an average of 7 hits is pretty decent I guess.

The baneblade Chasis tanks look absolutely amazing right now.

Their actually really good in melee an die are tough enough that the enemy can't do a whole lot. They can assualt shoot from melee. So now you've got yourself an invincible baneblade.

The Stormlord in particular is filthy with the right guys inside. 20 can shoot from it's fire points and the Vulcan bolter thing shreds infantry of all varieties. Sorely tempted by one!

The Shadowsword though... That main gun is devastating. The ultimate tool to get revenge on all those Riptides and Wratihknights that plagued 7th edition.

I wish wish wish that the 30k Leman Russ Incinerator had made it into the Forgeworld index. It looks amazing and would be brutal in this edition! I may have to settle for a Malacdor Infernus instead.

If people were going to get a Superheavy as a centrepiece of their Guard Army, what would they go for? Baneblade variant? Malacdor? Crassus transport or MLRS thingy? Something else?

I'm really hot on the Hellhound actually. A D2 flamer, but more importantly the 16" range! Most things decent in melee has W2 or more and the Hellhound is terrifying in overwatch as you cant outrun its range. Its also fast as blazes to get where it needs to be.

Throw on a multi-melta for all-rounder potential, or stick with a heavy flamer to really burninate!

Im itching to get my Baneblade project off the ground (current one is a commission....)

Im thinking Ill be running either the Hellhammer for all around versatility or the Shadowsword for its just absurdity! Haha

Ill definitely be taking these to tournaments, question is do I need to buy a second.... :)

I used Hellhound in my first 8th edition game on Tuesday and I was floored. That tank just kept dishing out damage and taking hits without losing any of its firepower! And the inferno cannon's range meant it was definitely more useful than my hull heavy flamer.

Perhaps Chimeras are a bit redundant these days. The only advantage a the heavy flamer Chimera has over a Hellhound is transport capacity (the 2 tanks basically cost the same). But Stormies can deepstrike in and Valks can do their 20" move-and-drop-troops manuever so we don't need the Chimeras for mobility as much as we did before 8th edition dropped. And Hellhounds are superior to twin heavy flamer Chimeras in firepower.

I'll test out this hypothesis over the summer.

Despite my unrestrained love for tanks and small collection of Chimeras I haven't run a heavy mechanised force. My troops spent games walking so the ills for the Chimera don't impact me too much. Definitely excited to keep hearing of Hellhounds being so good ;)

Has anyone thought of tactics to deal with first turn charges by horde armies? I am thinking command squads full of flamers standing out in front the actual gunline by 4 inches to basically force the charge. If the ork player doesn't charge he leaves his 30-60 jump troops out of position and under heavy fire. If he charges he kills a 48 point unit and loses 6 or 7 boys to flamers on the way in plus the 3-4 from the Full Throttle rule. Then he wipes the squad but you kept the attacked squad far enough away that now they are in the open.

3 or 4 sacrificial scout squads would not be a bad investment.  Still useful against any target with the benefit of being in range on turn 1 for some bolter goodness even if they are just trying to slow them down. 

A wall of conscripts is probably the best bet for eating first turn charges, especially for tournaments.

Lot's of flamers can work, however flamer squads without a transport will be a problem for your list versus other shooty armies. In addition, some armies (especially Tyranids) can get away with charging from 8.5"

I see flamers more as an offensive weapon with a perk in defense. I'm gonna run a list with 15 heavy flamers, mostly vehicle mounted, on Saturday. Will report back.

About First turn charges....Why deploy along your deployment line? Even the most Assault friendly deployment types leave room to just set up deeper in your deployment zone and make a first turn charge very difficult. Our big guns can engage them at a distance, and it gives us the option to advance, FRFSRF at rapidfire range, and then charge them so we go first in combat. 

Fact of the matter is that layering and bubble wrapping this edition is gonna be more important than ever.

Fortunately our bubble wrap wont be nuked by most standard weaponry in the game and more and it got cheaper and more effective. :)