8th Ed Tactics thread

Wow that blows. Something else to remember. Why an opponents ability can make your weapon explode is pretty silly.

Nope on the imgur

"Your request was denied because of its content categorization "media sharing,mixed content/potentially adult"

That's pretty normal which is why I prefer to see copy/paste or even easier, paraphrased rules and snippits.

Truesight - is it not the case that the overheat damage occurs on the roll of a natural 1 after re-rolls but before modifiers, or have I got the timings wrong?

After rerolls -and- modifiers.

So if you have a flat +1 to hit you can't overheat.

If you are shooting at a hard to hit -1 target you overheat on a 1-2, etc.

Wouldn't that -1 on a roll of one make it a zero thus not exploding? Is there a rule that says you cant get less than 1? I know you can have more than 6.

Same document question 3.

You people posting those imgur links act like everyone can read them. Not everyone can access them.

Truesight- Its pretty well established its a natural 1 that causes the boom on overcharge, not modified. Unless GW FAQ'd it and I didn't notice.

https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Warhammer_40000_Designers_Commentary-ENG.pdf

Seems you missed one.  Check out the 5th question.

How legit is this (the Designers' commentary), i've seen it linked by a lot of people but, as it's not actually on the GW downloads site, is it actually official? Where was it originally found?

Not saying it's not just odd that it's not on the official site, unless i'm missing something.

How legit is this (the Designers' commentary), i've seen it linked by a lot of people but, as it's not actually on the GW downloads site, is it actually official? Where was it originally found?

Not saying it's not just odd that it's not on the official site, unless i'm missing something.

About as legit as you are going to get really.

It's linked by people who were playtesting the game with GW: https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2017/06/18/warhammer-40000-8th-ed-designers-commentary/

And written by the game designers.

Until they release the full FAQ this is the best we have.

So Krieg infantry squads can have 3 attacks each hitting on 3's with a priest and regimental standard, and any of them that die in the phase get to fight again. And they don't care about getting shot on the way.  And they are 5 points.  Forgeworld I love you.

Thanks for posting these :) I don't see any of the Leman Russes in the leaks? Are they there?

Honestly, a lot of stuff looks broken. The wording on the healing vehicles is such that it can totally stack with a techpriest, and you can buff up vehicles to absolutely crazy amounts. I love it in a way, but I'd feel so dirty using a lot of these rules.  

So I have the Armageddon pattern basilisk ordered, Is it worth running that variant over the standard? +1T and +1W for a few extra points. Seems like a nobrainer.

And now when Space Marines cannot have quad launcher batteries I'm thinking of getting some artillery crew and run them as guardsmen. Any tips on models for that?

The Armoured Siege Bombard seems like a really strong choice. Essentially removing a unit each turn

Any info about Rapiers Lasdestroyer? T6or7, how many wounds, Save? Thanks

T5 3W 3+ save gun with 2 crew

36'' Heavy 1 s12 -4AP d6 damage gun

If it does damage roll a d6. On a 3-5 it does 2d6 damage, on a 6 it does 3d6.

I saw all the DKoK rules, I didn't think they access to the priest? Unless you just mean unaffiliated - I'm still not totally clear on how the keywords work.

I'm still getting used to 8th, but this is my logic:

Both share the Imperium keyword so can be taken in the same detachment.  Ministorum Priests give 'Astra Militarum Infantry' within 6'' +1 attack. Krieg infantry have both those keywords so would benefit.

Not sure if this has been discussed already, but here's a thought:

Is there a reason to ever take Leman Russes in Heavy Support slots?

Supreme Command Detachment gives +1CP and requires 3x HQ slots.

That's 3x more BS3+ Tank Commanders that can give Orders to each other.

If I missing something?

I think all of a detachment has to be from the same list, otherwise there no point to army lists. But a second detachment with the priest would work and his abilities would then carry over since they share the keyword. This was how our TO put it, if you want mix and match units from different lists you can do so but since you are limited in detachments(3 for us) this will dilute your force from what the original army list was.

Then why even have army lists? Just one big book of imperial units. Like I said, our TO said each army book/list required its own detachment but they could interact however with each other depending on the keywords. You can bring Marnius Calgar and a few units of Blood Angels and a few units of IG, but they each require their own detachments which is easy to do in the current system. To do otherwise and we are playing that stupid Unbound style from last edition.

Well, when the codices come out they'll introduce benefits and penalties for how your army is composed. If your army is all Astra Militarum, you'll gain special rules and access to new stratagems. If it's all Cadians, you'll get even more rules and stratagems. So on and so forth for Catachans, Steel legion, Death Korp, etc. So you'll have to make a choice, do I jack stuff from every army in the Imperium, or use my army special rules to their fullest effect? Of course, since there are no codices yet, there's no tradeoff, so the obvious better choice is mixing and matching. I predict it won't stay that way though. You can do a similar thing in AoS, and none of the players in my club do a ton of mixing and matching, because they'd rather have the special rules.