New Death Guard in 8th edition

Prot

Note that the Stink Tanks have a pretty high chance to explode, which deters keeping units in their aura range. 

Why is that a bad thing? It's part of their charm. I like the fluffy things that have just as much chance of killing me as it does my opponent. Its one of the reasons I play these games. 

Note that the Stink Tanks have a pretty high chance to explode, which deters keeping units in their aura range. However, since they are a 3 model unit, they are a great target for psychic buffs and stratagems. Makes a good fire magnet! Give them the -1 to be hit power, then keep them healed with Grandfather's Blessing Stratagem or with a Herald's healing power. People won't be able to resist trying to pop them. Bring some characters for re-rolls to hit and they're a solid fire base.

I definitely feel like they are one of the gems of the dex. They have so many useful special rules and provide a lot of shooting on a tough body whilst also buffing friendly footsloggers around them?

A definitely feel a three bug (I kinda think they look like arthropods of some kind) will be a fixture on many DG lists if they're even somewhat reasonably priced. Plus, as you noted, the psychological factor of a shooty buff squad encourages opponents to fire a disproportionately high volume of heavy weapons at them, making them an excellent target to stack buffs.

Don't forget Daemon synergy either. I was thinking about Morty and since he'll have the Daemon keyword I expect some clever cookies are already thinking of all the combos you could pull with him. More generally, all the daemon engines DG will be running allows us to bring guys like heralds and have them spam fleshy abundance to keep the gang topped up. The only problem is how they keep pace with some of the faster units...

I'm honestly more interested in the blightlords kit, depending on the amount of options, I'll probably get 2 boxes.

Based on the images I've seen they'll have options for Blight Launchers, Plague Spewers and a cool Heresy Era lookin Autocannon (the one with the two barrels).

I like the idea of a shooty squad that can also melee and considering they can take Bale Swords, Maces, Axes e.c.t. without sacrificing their shooting I think many people (myself included) will take them over Deathshroud. They just seem...I dunno, more useful. Not that Deathshroud are bad, but they just seem niche outside of protecting Morty and riding in a Land Raider.

Combi-Bolters are surprisingly deadly and the 18" range for rapid fire helps the Blightlords target units that your opponents have tried to castle up behind chaff. One of the favourite things to do with my terminators is to drop them on a flank and pop VotLW before double tapping some scrubs. You can do a surprisingly high amount of damage through weight of shots alone and the flat +1 to wound is really nasty. 

EDIT:

Also has anyone considered a Leviathan Dreadnought with two grav-flux bombards? I feel like he'd be really good (and fluffy) in a DG list. Move without penalty to shooting and then park your thicc'ness in the middle of the board before spamming fire frenzy until nobody is left alive. Add in a Chaos Lord to re-roll ones and you are looking at a very nasty firebase that is happy to target elite units and vehicles/monsters with equal aplomb. 

Note that the Stink Tanks have a pretty high chance to explode, which deters keeping units in their aura range. However, since they are a 3 model unit, they are a great target for psychic buffs and stratagems. Makes a good fire magnet! Give them the -1 to be hit power, then keep them healed with Grandfather's Blessing Stratagem or with a Herald's healing power. People won't be able to resist trying to pop them. Bring some characters for re-rolls to hit and they're a solid fire base.

It's only one mortal wound so it's hardly that bad especially since mostly everything has DR. Besides with how good their buffs it's well worth losing one guy from an explosion. Anyway if they are focusing on my Blight haulers then they arnt focusing on my more valuable stuff

Anyone get a sense of the role the Myphitic Blight Hauler vs Plagueburst Crawler vs Bloat Drone play, vs the regular Helbrutes or Predators?

IMHO they are replacements. Since the new units have Disgustingly Resilient, there is no point in taking the older Helbrutes and Predators. I really think they were included in the codex so it wouldnt invalidate older players armies completely. I think you'll start to see Helbrutes and Preds less and less as the new kits come out.

While I would have loved bonus add on optional wargear to existing units, that doesn't sell more models. We are going to be buying upgraded versions of things we already have. Hence why I mentioned somewhere converting these guys out of existing models I already have. Time to slice and dice.

Anyone get a sense of the role the Myphitic Blight Hauler vs Plagueburst Crawler vs Bloat Drone play, vs the regular Helbrutes or Predators?

IMHO they are replacements. Since the new units have Disgustingly Resilient, there is no point in taking the older Helbrutes and Predators. I really think they were included in the codex so it wouldnt invalidate older players armies completely. I think you'll start to see Helbrutes and Preds less and less as the new kits come out.

It nearly does invalidate peoples armies unfortunately? I own 200 cultists (at least 45 of my conversions can count as pox walkers), 50 old plague marine models (yes yes I can still use them... they dont stand next to the new ones so well), 6 helbrutes, and 1 plague reaper of nurgle that I converted at the release of 6th edition (I own the 5th edition apocalypse book too).

Anyone have any interest in buying these models from me to use for their DG? I need $$$ to buy completely new stuff.

Blight-Haulers look like dedicated anti-armour, mobile gunline with their set weapon choices. Plagueburst crawlers are...wierd, being tough weapon platforms that want to be at range but don't really have the accuracy to justify them over a Tri-las predator. I like the drones honestly, we haven't seen what the heavy blight launcher can do, but the plague-spitters and fleshmowers both seem to be made for clearing chaff units away.

Helbrutes are still good, I'd probably take twin-las and missiles. Can move and shoot at full BS. Predators are incredibly shooty, tri-las provides an excellent long range anti-heavy option.

After going over it, I'm thinking a list like this:

Battalion

HQ

Daemon Prince with Wings: Sword, Talon, not sure on power

Typhus: Miasma and Winds

Troops

Poxwalkers: 12 count

Plague Marines: Champion: Power Fist, Plasmagun, Sword, 4x Boltguns, 2x Blight Launchers

Plague Marines: Champion: Power Fist, Plasmagun, Sword, 4x Boltguns, 2x Spewers

Elites

Blightlord Terminators: 4x Combi-Bolters and Swords, 1x Blightlauncher and Sword

Blightlord Terminators: 4x Combi-Bolters and Swords, 1x Blight Launcher and Sword

Fast Attack

Blight Hauler

LOW

Mortarion

I might drop the Plasmaguns on the Champions, 2x Poxwalkers, and change out the Daemon Prince for a Plaguecaster and another Blight Hauler. Someone recommended using Alpha Legion Cultists as anchors for a Plaguewing heavy list. That got me thinking it might work to push things into Mortarion as well.

After going over it, I'm thinking a list like this:

Battalion

HQ

Daemon Prince with Wings: Sword, Talon, not sure on power

Typhus: Miasma and Winds

Troops

Poxwalkers: 12 count

Plague Marines: Champion: Power Fist, Plasmagun, Sword, 4x Boltguns, 2x Blight Launchers

Plague Marines: Champion: Power Fist, Plasmagun, Sword, 4x Boltguns, 2x Spewers

Elites

Blightlord Terminators: 4x Combi-Bolters and Swords, 1x Blightlauncher and Sword

Blightlord Terminators: 4x Combi-Bolters and Swords, 1x Blight Launcher and Sword

Fast Attack

Blight Hauler

LOW

Mortarion

I might drop the Plasmaguns on the Champions, 2x Poxwalkers, and change out the Daemon Prince for a Plaguecaster and another Blight Hauler. Someone recommended using Alpha Legion Cultists as anchors for a Plaguewing heavy list. That got me thinking it might work to push things into Mortarion as well.

Prince should always take two Talons imo. They are much better than his other options. Poxwalkers seem too small a unit to be seen as a real threat. I'd take a max unit or none at all. I'd rather axes than swords on the Blightlords (apparently sixes to wound in melee up their AP).

Everything else looks solid.

It nearly does invalidate peoples armies unfortunately? I own 200 cultists (at least 45 of my conversions can count as pox walkers), 50 old plague marine models (yes yes I can still use them... they dont stand next to the new ones so well), 6 helbrutes, and 1 plague reaper of nurgle that I converted at the release of 6th edition (I own the 5th edition apocalypse book too).

Anyone have any interest in buying these models from me to use for their DG? I need $$$ to buy completely new stuff.

Sadly this is what happens in 40k when new codices come out. It has happened many times before and it will happen again. GW wants you to buy new dolls and dont care about your collection. I almost wish there was a big warning sign on their boxes... Warning, may before obsolete at any given time. 

EDIT:

Also has anyone considered a Leviathan Dreadnought with two grav-flux bombards? I feel like he'd be really good (and fluffy) in a DG list. Move without penalty to shooting and then park your thicc'ness in the middle of the board before spamming fire frenzy until nobody is left alive. Add in a Chaos Lord to re-roll ones and you are looking at a very nasty firebase that is happy to target elite units and vehicles/monsters with equal aplomb. 

Sadly this does not work. Even though the FW dreads got hellbrute keyword, GW wrote hellbrute and not HELLBRUTE under the fire frenzy strategem. So it only works on models named hellbrute. Would have been crazy powerful though. 

EDIT:

Sadly this does not work. Even though the FW dreads got hellbrute keyword, GW wrote hellbrute and not HELLBRUTE under the fire frenzy strategem. So it only works on models named hellbrute. Would have been crazy powerful though. 

Ah true. Hopefully FAQ'ed. If not, I still think the Forgeworld Dreads are a good choice.

@TheMelancholic

Yeah, I realized that about the DP after looking, gaining three attacks is fantastic at the loss of one damage per attack. I must have missed that about the Blightlords getting the extra AP on a six, so that would mean something like this:

11x ST 5 AP -2/3 D1 with re-rolls of One for plague weapon. Do re-rolls stack? Plus a Lord with them to re roll ones for the Combi-Bolters. I don't think I am willing to drop the full 300 points to give them all Combi-Plasma, even though we can Deep Strike, Fire Combi-Plasmas overcharged with a 12" Rapid Fire range, and a Lord to re-roll ones, and they are T5 with a 2+/4++/DR5+ and if I anchor with the Haulers, I could run them up the board, giving them a +1 cover. Shoot, now I am considering it...

I want to use Mortarion, but do you think he will be tough and killy enough in a elite army?

I'd have to disagree with this... while the Blight-Hauler and Plagueburst Crawler are definitely cool, they still don't take the place of LasCannon equipped Predators or Dreadnoughts. In fact, I see Dreadnoughts becoming even more valuable now that they can not only move and shoot without penalty, but also fill the dedicated anti-tank role that they previously felt shoe horned into. LasCannons are still the best at popping armour at range, neither of the new options can do that reliably. 

@TheMelancholic

Yeah, I realized that about the DP after looking, gaining three attacks is fantastic at the loss of one damage per attack. I must have missed that about the Blightlords getting the extra AP on a six, so that would mean something like this:

11x ST 5 AP -2/3 D1 with re-rolls of One for plague weapon. Do re-rolls stack? Plus a Lord with them to re roll ones for the Combi-Bolters. I don't think I am willing to drop the full 300 points to give them all Combi-Plasma, even though we can Deep Strike, Fire Combi-Plasmas overcharged with a 12" Rapid Fire range, and a Lord to re-roll ones, and they are T5 with a 2+/4++/DR5+ and if I anchor with the Haulers, I could run them up the board, giving them a +1 cover. Shoot, now I am considering it...

I want to use Mortarion, but do you think he will be tough and killy enough in a elite army?

You can never re-roll a specific dice more than once. Hit and wound rolls are difference dice and thus you can have both re-rolls to hit and to wound. I assume this is what you are asking when you say can re-rolls be stacked. So you could have your re-rolls to hit from the lord and re-rolls to wound from plague weapon and there would be no problem.

You'll have 18" rapid fire range with combi-plasma thanks to inexorable advance. It should be pretty safe to overcharge with an attending Terminator lord (1/36 chance is pretty slim odds).

As for Morty, dude...have you seen his rules? Provided he reaches melee he'll eliminate any and all opposition. He can take on 99% of the stuff in the game and win handily (that 1% being Warhound Titans e.c.t.). Between his psychic powers, host of plagues and his toughness nerf he's pretty much murder incarnate, able to blend hordes and elites with equal aplomb. For 470 points I honestly think he's a steal. He adds so much to your force between his psychic powers and melee ability. His shooting is just the gravy on top.

Use the lantern to snipe characters (commissars, I'm looking at you) and Phosphex for outright killing power.

Make no mistake, he's good. Like really good. My only concern when fielding him is him potentially dying to turn one Alpha. Deathshroud can potentially mitigate this. Otherwise use grandfather's blessings and/or a Nurgle herald with fleshy abundance to keep him topped up.

Make no mistake, he's good. Like really good. My only concern when fielding him is him potentially dying to turn one Alpha. Deathshroud can potentially mitigate this. Otherwise use grandfather's blessings =

Unless my memory is failing me here, grandfather's blessings only work on infantry (and bikers, but that's irrelevant), so that's a no-go with Morty.

I love DG. Gorgeous models, disgusting rules.

You're right about the 18", I mistakenly thought it was 12". 18 is way better. Hopefully I will be able to find balance. Maybe one or two expensive BLTs, one basic, morty, typhus, a termie lord, two small poxwalkers, and a Plague Marine squad. Possibly a Hellbrute or a couple haulers.

Can the poxwalkers grow above the max size of twenty when they kill and add things to them?

Archived