New Death Guard in 8th edition

Prot

I'm still considering Helbrute with LC and ML with Firefrenzy for anti-mech support as it has BS3+, instead of the Hauler or Crawler, even if the former doesn't have DR or Plague weapons.

The Blightreaper cannon is the main weapon on FW's Greater Blight Drone, and MWG specifically mentioned the Reaper Autocannon when talking about the Blightlords in their video, so I'm 99.9% sure the Blightreaper will not be in the codex.

Mortarion cannot deep strike.

Anybody know whether Blightlords can take 2 special/heavy weapons for the first 5, or just 1 per 5? I suspect it's one per 5 but it would be awesome for it to be 2 per 5.

EDIT: Just clarified if is 1 heavy weapon per 5 terminators

How many blightlords can take a flail? I'm guessing 1 but I want to give all my units flails.

Probably just the one, which is unfortunate.

I know it would be a little strong, but I wish we could take two special ranged weapons/special melee weapons on Blightlords without going to ten guys.

I personally plan on fielding Morty with Deathshroud. I'm assuming you can add one additional unit to the initial 3 which will get me to five. Typhus will march up with Poxwalkers while I deepstrike Morty and Deathshroud in the backlines for ho ho good fun. Toss in some bloat drones, helbrutes and a heldrake and that should get me around 2k points. If I have the points I will toss in some PM as well.

What if Morty can't deepstrike? I seriously doubt he'll be able to simply based on the fact Magnus can't either.

Here's what I'd do. Deploy Morty and one Deathshroud unit with some poxwalkers. Put cloud of flies on the Deathshroud so they can't be targeted independently. Use them to catch lascannon shots for Morty.

Second turn Morty moves and you deepstrike the second Deathshroud unit in next to him, guarding him a second turn. This should get Morty into melee range around turn 3 if not sooner and at full strength to boot.

Why wouldn't Morty be able to deep strike? He still has his armor unlike Magnus. If he can't then I'd just deploy as you outlined for those reasons since the entire shooting from the enemy will be directed at Morty.

Why wouldn't Morty be able to deep strike? He still has his armor unlike Magnus. If he can't then I'd just deploy as you outlined for those reasons since the entire shooting from the enemy will be directed at Morty.

He has never worn Terminator armour.

His Barbarus plate that he created himself sure seems to function exactly the same.

His Barbarus plate that he created himself sure seems to function exactly the same.

Except not, because he doesn't have a 2+. In any case, I suspect it is to stop Morty from just popping up and destroying most gunlines without recourse.

No, it doesn't. Even the description in FW's books describes it as a fusion of power armour technology with his own lore. Not to mention the fact that, as above, it gives a 3+ save not a 2+ in 40k, it looks absolutely nothing like Terminator armour in both settings, and it also does not affect his movement in either 30k or 40k like a suit of Terminator armour does.  If you're referring to the novels, anybody can teleport when they use a teleporter engine on a warship. This is not unique to Terminator armour.

Magnus did not wear Terminator armour also.

No, it doesn't. Even the description in FW's books describes it as a fusion of power armour technology with his own lore. Not to mention the fact that, as above, it gives a 3+ save not a 2+ in 40k, it looks absolutely nothing like Terminator armour in both settings, and it also does not affect his movement in either 30k or 40k like a suit of Terminator armour does.  If you're referring to the novels, anybody can teleport when they use a teleporter engine on a warship. This is not unique to Terminator armour.

I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility that he had a teleport beacon installed in his armor.

I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility that he had a teleport beacon installed in his armor.

If so, we have seen absolutely no evidence of this in either his 30k/40k rules incarnations or in FW's lore. He has only been seen to teleport when using powerful teleporter engines from his flagship, the Endurance. There is no basis in fact to what you are saying; he doesn't wear Terminator armour. Just because an armour has a 2+/4++ or a 3+/4++, or it's worn by a Primarch, does not make it a suit of Terminator armour.

If so, we have seen absolutely no evidence of this in either his 30k/40k rules incarnations or in FW's lore. He has only been seen to teleport when using powerful teleporter engines from his flagship, the Endurance. There is no basis in fact to what you are saying; he doesn't wear Terminator armour. Just because an armour has a 2+/4++ or a 3+/4++, or it's worn by a Primarch, does not make it a suit of Terminator armour.

I never said he wore Terminator armor. I said unlike Magnus he still wears his armor.  It would be a simple alteration to his Barbarus plate to install a teleport beacon in it.

I never said he wore Terminator armor. I said unlike Magnus he still wears his armor.  It would be a simple alteration to his Barbarus plate to install a teleport beacon in it.

His armour has never been shown to allow him to deep strike, so this is irrelevant. You said it was 'basically a suit of Terminator armour,' but it isn't. Simple.

its pretty obvious that they would never allow morty to deep strike as a daemon primarch, that would be stupidly powerful. imagine him coming down with deathshroud, being basically immune to shooting even if he fails his charge. silly. first time ive seen anybody anywhere think he could deep strike. 

saying he 'could easily have a teleporter beacon' doesnt have any basis in reality, thats like thinking every single primarch/character can deep strike when they come out 'because they could easily put a beacon in there' 

Not to mention the fact actually that his armour is designed as a life-support/barbaran atmosphere system as much as it is a suit of armour; we don't know the logistics of just shoving a teleporter in. It's not like Perturabo's swiss army knife suit of armour. If it was that easy, everybody would be teleporting around the place...

But he obviously can't deepstrike given we've seen the rules, and there's no reason to think he'd be able to do so anyway. This has gone far enough off topic already.

Not to mention the fact actually that his armour is designed as a life-support/barbaran atmosphere system as much as it is a suit of armour; we don't know the logistics of just shoving a teleporter in. It's not like Perturabo's swiss army knife suit of armour. If it was that easy, everybody would be teleporting around the place...

But he obviously can't deepstrike given we've seen the rules, and there's no reason to think he'd be able to do so anyway. This has gone far enough off topic already.

Why would a teleport beacon interrupt his rebreather? If teleportation interrupted his armor then he'd never be able to teleport and we've seen him do that.

The only reason I can see him not being able to deepstrike would be for game balance. And I still haven't seen his full rules that state if he can deep strike or not.

Why would a teleport beacon interrupt his rebreather? If teleportation interrupted his armor then he'd never be able to teleport and we've seen him do that.

The only reason I can see him not being able to deepstrike would be for game balance. And I still haven't seen his full rules that state if he can deep strike or not.

...Right. The point was that his armour is an arcane suit designed to pump toxins into his body. It's unique and is as much an atmospheric support system as it is a means of keeping himself safe. Perhaps putting a teleporter into the armour itself is impractical. As I've said multiple times we have only seen him teleport when using a teleporter engine from a ship, so there is no reason at all to think he would be able to do so as a result of his armour. Your logic could be applied to every character in the setting; it's silly.

He can't deep strike. The rules have been shown on multiple streams and in various videos.

Well technically you're all wrong, because his armour doesn't physically exist since now he's fully a creature of the Chaos and thus made of Warp energy. His armour is irrelevant, it's simply what he manifests it as, just as his height, appearance, etc, His weapons aren't real, nothing is real.... it's all gestalt energy as an extension of Nurgle and thus the Warp. 

In any case, I fully intend on fielding my core force I have now with the addition of many of the buff Elites and Plague-Haulers. Pretty much everything that's been revealed, perhaps sans the Plagueburst Crawler (at least initally) and sticking with Dreads / Bloat Drones of various types / Plague Hulk. 

Despite the sad news concerning special weapons with Blightlords (I have to wonder if the melee options are considered special weapons as well), I'm still extremely interested in fielding a Plaguewing army... perhaps with a lot less Deathshroud than I had planned... 75 points each... ugh.

I would skip the Deathshroud for a Plaguewing. You're already putting much less fewer minis on the table than a regular army and you need to be as cost efficient as possible, and in that sort of list, Deathshroud is the antithesis of cost efficiency. 

Agreed. I may field the minimum of 3 just to protect whoever would be my HQ (most likely not Typhus, he's more a Poxwalker HQ) and mow things down in CC... if they can get there. They're slow as hell, for some odd reason.

Well technically you're all wrong, because his armour doesn't physically exist since now he's fully a creature of the Chaos and thus made of Warp energy. His armour is irrelevant, it's simply what he manifests it as, just as his height, appearance, etc, His weapons aren't real, nothing is real.... it's all gestalt energy as an extension of Nurgle and thus the Warp.

Actually, there might be more to it than that. Silence is a weapon of the physical plane and is not manifested at will, as is his pistol the Lantern; his armour might be the same. He is a creature ruled by sentiment and bitterness after all, so if anybody is going to be cladding their immaterial form in material war-plate, it would be Mortarion. He's not like Magnus or Fulgrim summoning their weapons out of thin air. But it is the warp after all, so it's all just speculation; you could be right.

Anyway, I agree with both of the above. I'll be buying some Deathshroud because I love the models, and will try them out in games, but I think the Blightlords are a far stronger choice.

Sucks they weren't 2-7 and not 3-6 as a unit size I also probably would prefer having them as HQs as well like their Heresy version but that's just me. I'm not too fused about the cost of them either since their abilities are just so good I'd most likely use them to keep a Plaguecaster or Necrosius from harm since they will murder most things the caster usually struggles against (my opponents are usually so damn good at killing him before he can actually do anything since I suck :D )

Interesting thing about the zombie strategem, put a massive cultist blob in front of some poxwalkers cast the spell which prevents the poxwalkers being killed and laugh as the cultists get murdered (I'm sure your opponent won't be able to avoid them if you march thepoor cultists) right into the midst of the enemy topping up the poxwalkers well beyond their starting size :D

Archived