A return to the Death Guard and a new start.

While I think you're on the right track with those, they still look too much like ectoplasm cannons to me. Maybe you could add teeth to make it look more like a lamprey than a regular jaw? I think that would make it different enough. Or maybe removing the "eyes"?

I think you've nailed it there!

Regarding the arms, have you considered bulking them out by adding thick cables and merging them into the existing parts? You could then have bits of them exposed like mechanical sinews.

The new guns work really well, especially since they provide that extra bit of "official" Daemon engine look. I'm not too worried about them looking too much like the original ectoplasm cannons because they are probably nowhere near finished, at least when it comes to the detail, right?!

The gut plate is a fantastic idea, and the general shape works really well. I do think it's too big, however, throwing off the overall proportions and making the model look a bit too much like a chibi-cartoon ;) I think the exact same shape, but slightly smaller, would definitely work even better!

The new head is an interesting sketch, but it doesn't quite come together yet: The very robotic "face" and forehead and the extra organic jaws make for a slightly strange mix, and I think you need to make them interact a bit better.

YES! Just yes! They look great! What an inspired use of bits!

Thanks. :) I guess the pressure of coughing up 24 quid churned my brain into overdrive. :D

While I think you're on the right track with those, they still look too much like ectoplasm cannons to me. Maybe you could add teeth to make it look more like a lamprey than a regular jaw? I think that would make it different enough. Or maybe removing the "eyes"?

Hmm... I kinda like the eyes, and I think more teeth will make them look too cluttered. Other suggestions?

OK. You need to stop. I feel like I need to up my game now.  :wink: Seriously, just beautiful in the most deliciously evil way.

I will most certainly not stop. ;) Thanks a lot!

I think you've nailed it there!

Regarding the arms, have you considered bulking them out by adding thick cables and merging them into the existing parts? You could then have bits of them exposed like mechanical sinews.

Thanks!

Yup, as a whole the model needs some cabling done, and some sculpting to make it come together. 

The new guns work really well, especially since they provide that extra bit of "official" Daemon engine look. I'm not too worried about them looking too much like the original ectoplasm cannons because they are probably nowhere near finished, at least when it comes to the detail, right?!

The gut plate is a fantastic idea, and the general shape works really well. I do think it's too big, however, throwing off the overall proportions and making the model look a bit too much like a chibi-cartoon :wink: I think the exact same shape, but slightly smaller, would definitely work even better!

The new head is an interesting sketch, but it doesn't quite come together yet: The very robotic "face" and forehead and the extra organic jaws make for a slightly strange mix, and I think you need to make them interact a bit better.

I'm not sure what I should do reg. detailing of the guns - any suggestions are welcomed? 

The gut plate, I kinda like as is. I think the trims will help in "de-chibifying" it, but I tried rough sculpting it a couple of times with blutack, before committing to milliput, and this is the size I liked best. I also have plans for some corrosion/pitting, with cables and guts showing. 

The head is one of the things I'm not sure about. Unfortunately I haven't really been able to gather my modelling mojo today, so it'll have to sit on the table, until I figure out what to do with it. 

Looking good. Very good.

I am not sure what you could do with all that new clean space on the petards that filling in the plasma coils has produced. It looks too big for just corrosion holes, and also too big for just growths/tumours/tentacle cables/bone & horn extrusions etc. Possibly a mixture of both? As in rusting through in flat areas and then warping and growing alongside in others, like death/decay and growth/rebirth in patches in that whole Nurgle death/life cycle thing. It might look too lumpy though.

As for the eye part possibly adding two underneath to make it look like the Nurgle rune, with each one being a different type of eye - slit pupil, round pupil, rotten and burst like an over ripe and diseased fruit etc.

The Traitors lamprey maw idea sounds very creepy, in a suitably Nurglish way.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, I'm so jealous of that lathe :)  You lucky bugger.

The Decimator is really starting to look very nice. I like the posture, suitably imposing. And that head really looks the part. Somehow reminds me of Xenomorphs in the Alien universe without going too much in the direction of Tyranids.

I almost smiled in my pants when I saw your name here GR! 

It's good to see you back and I'm looking forward to your DG army! (saw your last one in GW cph some time ago, was nice to see it "live" :) )

Oh man, I'm so jealous of that lathe :smile.:  You lucky bugger.

The Decimator is really starting to look very nice. I like the posture, suitably imposing. And that head really looks the part. Somehow reminds me of Xenomorphs in the Alien universe without going too much in the direction of Tyranids.

You can rightfully be jealous - I mean... Look at it! :D

Thanks a lot!

I almost smiled in my pants when I saw your name here GR! 

It's good to see you back and I'm looking forward to your DG army! (saw your last one in GW cph some time ago, was nice to see it "live" :smile.: )

"Smiled in my pants"... I feel repulsed and flattered at the same time. Flatpulsed? And thanks. :) 

Whoa... just caught up on the last 3 months of your triumphant return!:smile.::) fantastic work!!!

Thanks a lot - I like that; "triumphant return"... :) 

I've been really busy with real life, the band and work the past few weeks, so I haven't had too much hobby time. However, I've been following the news of the DG release, and I'm literally squeeing with joy at all the amazing new toys. Rest assured that I'll post news here as soon as I get some hobby time (soon) and get my hands on the new stuff. :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a lot, guys. :)

I apologise for the lack of updates recently, but I've been incredibly busy with work, music, in-laws visit, etc.

Still, I think I've finally managed to get the paint scheme for the army down; I've been through 10+ testers, and not really being satisfied with any of them. However, I saw this pic online:

plague-marine-horz.jpg

... And it inspired me. It has the cold, otherworldly feel of something utterly wrong, and being light enough to "pop out" on the tabletop, while still feeling dark.

I won't go so far as to say that I've nailed it, but I think my version looks pretty good, is not to difficult/time consuming to paint, and has some of the feel of the image:

PMtest.jpg

I apologise my mittens getting in on the pic - for some reason this colour scheme is very hard to photograph.

Let me hear what you think - comments and critique is always appreciated. :)

I would go so far as saying you've nailed it! I've definitely got a bias towards 'historic' white looking Death Guard, not really a fan of the yucky green colour armour.

Really glad you've gone this way, I think the new scheme is different enough from your last Army's scheme! Win win!!

Thanks a lot guys - quite happy with it as well. :) 

Hi guys.

Like a lot of other Nurgle fans, I had been looking forward to the new plastic Typhus, and was somewhat... Underwhelmed when I first saw it. It suffers the same malady as a lot of GW's recent offerings - incredible detail (perhaps to the point of being overdone) but a poor pose. However, when I got a chance to look at the sprues last saturday when Typhus got on preorder, I saw that the things I disliked about were pretty easy to fix - for me that is the Nurgling on his side (I HATE nurglings - I don't want silly, I want scary!) and his "Whoah, Nelly!" pose.

As soon as I got home from my plastic pusher today, I started cutting him apart. The conversion isn't very complicated, and doesn't require any additional bits other than what's in the box, but it does require some very careful cutting of his left leg, and reposing both of them, so he's not leaning back - he's almost doing the limbo on the original. Then I cut off the tab on his neck, allowing the head to be reposed. Lastly, the right arm is carefully cut off, cut down a bit, and reposed into another position. And of course, the stupid nurgling is cut and scraped off. ;)

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the transformation - he has gone from "meh" to "pretty darn intimidating" IMO. Let me hear what you think. :) Not quite sure if I like the top photos casting spell pose of the left hand, or the bottom "come at me bro" hand - opinions?

PS: I also got the grinder PM elite thingy guy, a box of Death Shroud and the new Blight Lords - more stuff coming soon!

typhus1.jpg

Wow, that pose works SOOO much better. Out of curiosity, will you get mortarion too? I think that you could make some pretty awesome **** out of him.

Thanks a lot. :) Yep, probably. I promised the wife that I wouldn't get him for now, though - I can never come up with a wishlist for christmas, and she thought he'd be a good option. I don't think I'll use him much, since I have this dislike about a freakin' daemon primarch taking part in small skirmishes. Still, a true nurgle fan needs mortarion, right? ;) I have some ideas for him. 

Had planned to do pretty much that! I really hated the Freddie Mercury pose the stock model had and you’ve jist proven it can be fixed. I quite like the top hand position as well. :thumbsup:

Cool! Trust me, the legs need to be reposed as well - I thought I could just do the arms, but it just doesn't work.