A return to the Death Guard and a new start.

Aw nice! I'm really happy to see reposing him isn't a major endeavour. Great job on him, I definitely agree his original pose is a little lacking. I vote for the first pose, it's a lot more menacing than the "come at me bro" pose

Thanks! :) It always feels good to tackle a less than ideal model, and making it better. 

I'm at a point where I'm considering reviving my old "counts as Typhus" character - Pandemion, Scourge of Life. I have this thing about named characters, and that I would seem unlikely for them to take part in every single small skirmish across the galaxy, plus I like making my own background. Therefore I'm considering converting this model into him - now that the basic pose is done, I can go to down, GR-style. ;) I need to think about it.

I REALLY like what you did with Typhus. I may have to copy that, although I'm a bit apprehensive about cutting up a $40 model and screwing up. Where exactly did you cut and whatnot? Is there a way we could get a quick tutorial if it's not too much trouble?

I REALLY like what you did with Typhus. I may have to copy that, although I'm a bit apprehensive about cutting up a $40 model and screwing up. Where exactly did you cut and whatnot? Is there a way we could get a quick tutorial if it's not too much trouble?

Sure thing: 

Sure. The left leg is cut right at the groin (and so is the cabling) (2), and the other leg is already separate. I've pinned them so he's hunched more forward, as opposed to the original leaning back. That's pretty much it. A good guidance point is the tube coming from his groin to his right leg shin - that tube should be on the back side of the shin, right where it meets the legs rear armour, instead of on the shin. Glue that into this position. Then the other leg is pinned and glued into position, so the soles of the feet match when he stands on the base. That should be it. The arms are cut at 1, 3 and 4, and carefully cleaned up, pinned and reposed into position. Let me know if you have any other questions. :smile.:

typhusconversion.jpg

I've gotten a bit further on the Typhus conversion. I've tweaked his pose a bit, thanks to some suggestions I've gotten - his stance is changed a tiny bit, and his right arm is a bit more relaxed, while his left arm has gotten reposed quite a bit, making it more forward pointing - a major improvement to me.

While I disliked the cloud of flies, not having them left him a bit bare - so I'm experimenting with adding some creepy insect legs, to make him seem more of a living insects nest, waiting to burst open.

typhus2.jpg

I'm still contemplating if I should make him completely my own character, an old favourite known as Pandemion.

I've also made some progress on the Blight Lord terminators. I wanted to love the kit, I really did, since I adored the blight kings kit - but I don't.

A few of my dislikes;

1) There's not enough weapons. Only 3 axes, 3 swords, and 1 of each type of combi weapon. Come on, GW.

2) There's next to no options regarding torsos, arms, poseability, etc. I really disliked the "fly" while the rest of the DG community seem to adore him, and I hated the flabby fat guy. I had to do some pretty heavy conversions to get rid of them.

The kit really needed another sprue. They're more expensive than the blight kings, but with far less options.

Anyway, here they are - very WIP, but getting there. The champion with the flail is made with combining parts from the Lord of Contagion and the BL bits, and the lower pic is showing some conversions I'm doing for combiplasmas, and making the Blight Launcher a bit more impressive, by combining it with the plague spewer:

BL1.jpg

BL2.jpg

Thanks for the tutorial, much obliged!

I agree with the Fly Dude. I like him as a one-off model, but being forced to take him in EVERY squad (or two if you max out the squad) is ridiculous. I like your solution, I may have to nick that as well. I think combining the kit with the Blightkings is the best way to get variety, which is unfortunate since you have to spend more $$$.

I like the creepy insect legs you’ve added. His pose here with those legs added really does bring to mind one of your early versions of Pandemion. I think the one with the GK Helmet. If you did go down that route would you be building a head similar to your last version of him? I really loved the Plague Bearer head conversion you had built. :tu:

Really like the Typhus conversion, I dont think much of the pose on the new model, but you have shown it has potential! 

As for the Blight Lord terminators. they look fantastic, shame to hear how limited the sprues are. Really glad you got rid of the teeth on the belly, I think they look a bit cartoon like with that imo. Keep up the great work!

I must say that I liked your Typhus more without the insect legs, for me the two problems the new GW has are the pose (which you've already adressesd impressively) and that he's too busy. I think that without the flies and the nurgling he looked great, sometimes less is more.

Thanks for the tutorial, much obliged!

I agree with the Fly Dude. I like him as a one-off model, but being forced to take him in EVERY squad (or two if you max out the squad) is ridiculous. I like your solution, I may have to nick that as well. I think combining the kit with the Blightkings is the best way to get variety, which is unfortunate since you have to spend more $$$.

Yup, there could definitely be some more variety in the unit - I think it would be close to impossible to assemble a 10 man unit, without duplicates. Even the arms aren't interchangeable without using greenstuff. 

I like the creepy insect legs you’ve added. His pose here with those legs added really does bring to mind one of your early versions of Pandemion. I think the one with the GK Helmet. If you did go down that route would you be building a head similar to your last version of him? I really loved the Plague Bearer head conversion you had built. :thumbsup:

Thanks! It's definitely a flashback to my old early Pandemion with the GK helmet. I'm considering making a new head for him, if he gets turned into Pandemion - it will probably be something new, though. :)

Really like the Typhus conversion, I dont think much of the pose on the new model, but you have shown it has potential! 

As for the Blight Lord terminators. they look fantastic, shame to hear how limited the sprues are. Really glad you got rid of the teeth on the belly, I think they look a bit cartoon like with that imo. Keep up the great work!

Actually, I love the belly teeth, and want them on as many as possible - different strokes, eh? :) And thanks, I'm glad to have seemingly fixed it. :)

I must say that I liked your Typhus more without the insect legs, for me the two problems the new GW has are the pose (which you've already adressesd impressively) and that he's too busy. I think that without the flies and the nurgling he looked great, sometimes less is more.

I know what you mean, but if you look at the bulk of my body of work, I'm sort of a "more is more" kinda guy - I like the gribbly nurgle stuff, lots of exhausts, banners, etc, and while I'm not completely settled on the insect legs, I like the silhouette they give him. 

Thanks, Corswain!

That colour scheme is absolutely gorgeous, you've definitely captured the feel of that art piece (which is one of my favs)

I'd be interested to know how you got that pallid colour, if you don't mind.

Well, it IS somewhat hard to replicate; my current hobby-challenge is finding paints to substitute the ancient Citadel colours I used for this - two different eras of Rotting Flesh. 

Basecoat: Hexagonal paint pot era Rotting Flesh (still looking for substitute - almost mintish in colour)

Paint upper halves of every armour piece: First generation small round pot Rotting Flesh - Krieg Kommande edge paint from the current range is almost the same colour. 

Drybrush whole model with white

All over wash with extremely thinned down Coelia Greenshade

Line all edges with Agrax Earthshade ("blacklining")

Drips and runs with Reikland Fleshshade

Rust and runs with thinned Mournfang Brown

Edge highlight whole miniature with thinned white. 

It is this particular paint I am having the hardest time finding a substitute for: 

http://collector-info.com/Manufacturer/CIT/GAWPAT/GAWPATPAIC83/4323-83343-Colour-Rotting-Flesh.html

I've looked at Vallejo and Army Painter along with of course Citadel, but if any of you guys have an idea, I'm all ears. 

That colour scheme is absolutely gorgeous, you've definitely captured the feel of that art piece (which is one of my favs)

I'd be interested to know how you got that pallid colour, if you don't mind.

BTW, the Blight King helmet in your avatar; that paintjob looks very interesting! Do you have any idea whos done it, or have a picture of the whole miniature? 

I read somewhere on the internet not long after GW changed the paint line that the Vallejo Model Color paint Dead Flesh was close but a bit too yellow-green and the addition of small amounts of a khaki color got it pretty darn close to Rotting Flesh. 

They never did make an equivalent to the old hexagon rotting flesh. Cheers for the rundown on the colours! I'm quite surprised there's a drybrushing step involved.

Regarding the Blightlords, how much of a hassle is it to swap arms between torsos? It really looks as though the kit builds five very specific models, so you can only give the autocannon to the bug dude for example. I was hoping the magnetize some of the arms on mine, but that might be more of a pain that it's worth.

BTW, the Blight King helmet in your avatar; that paintjob looks very interesting! Do you have any idea whos done it, or have a picture of the whole miniature? 

Ah, that's a crop from an art piece. I can't remember who the artist is right now (Lie Setaiwan maybe?) but it's in a couple of the AoS books.

Been a while, so much done :)

Liking the paint scheme. I forgot they changed Rotting Flesh when they went from hex to round, I may have some hex ones in the attic.

I hadn't even thought of modifying Typhus (mine hasn't arrived yet) but I can see why you did.

Regards nurglings on other models in general I tend to agree. I am experimenting in blinding them like some of the codex art, with massive tumour foreheads and no eyes so they look sinister.

Also agree on the blightlords kit being sparse. Too few bits. I don't mind the static poses so much (I'll only ever do five), but the fact there isn't enough swords, axes and combi-weapons is annoying (as in 5 of each). I have used a couple of spare plasma pistols from the Noxious Blightbringers for more combi-plasma, and I think the multi-part Plague Marine box has a plasma pistol in it. The only postive is there might be a combi-weapon arm spare to convert a spare Lord of Contagion into a terminator lord/sorcerer/alternate Blightlord Champion.

Good stuff as always, very inspiring.

I just wish all the kits were released for the full range of parts for kit-bashing.

The more i see that Typhus model, the more i wish to do something similar :biggrin.:

Go right ahead - and please share it if you do. :)

I read somewhere on the internet not long after GW changed the paint line that the Vallejo Model Color paint Dead Flesh was close but a bit too yellow-green and the addition of small amounts of a khaki color got it pretty darn close to Rotting Flesh. 

I've experimented alot these days, and I think I've nailed it mixing Vallejo Pastel Green with a drop of Moot Green and a splash of white. Dead Flesh is too muted, unfortunately. 

They never did make an equivalent to the old hexagon rotting flesh. Cheers for the rundown on the colours! I'm quite surprised there's a drybrushing step involved.

Regarding the Blightlords, how much of a hassle is it to swap arms between torsos? It really looks as though the kit builds five very specific models, so you can only give the autocannon to the bug dude for example. I was hoping the magnetize some of the arms on mine, but that might be more of a pain that it's worth.

Ah, that's a crop from an art piece. I can't remember who the artist is right now (Lie Setaiwan maybe?) but it's in a couple of the AoS books.

It IS a hassle. They don't fit, and need tabs cut, and greenstuff added. See my post below for more on the subject. 

Been a while, so much done :smile.:

Liking the paint scheme. I forgot they changed Rotting Flesh when they went from hex to round, I may have some hex ones in the attic.

I hadn't even thought of modifying Typhus (mine hasn't arrived yet) but I can see why you did.

Regards nurglings on other models in general I tend to agree. I am experimenting in blinding them like some of the codex art, with massive tumour foreheads and no eyes so they look sinister.

Also agree on the blightlords kit being sparse. Too few bits. I don't mind the static poses so much (I'll only ever do five), but the fact there isn't enough swords, axes and combi-weapons is annoying (as in 5 of each). I have used a couple of spare plasma pistols from the Noxious Blightbringers for more combi-plasma, and I think the multi-part Plague Marine box has a plasma pistol in it. The only postive is there might be a combi-weapon arm spare to convert a spare Lord of Contagion into a terminator lord/sorcerer/alternate Blightlord Champion.

Good stuff as always, very inspiring.

I just wish all the kits were released for the full range of parts for kit-bashing.

Thanks - I've actually grown so frustrated with the Blight Lords that I'm scrapping them: 

Blight Lords? Back to the drawing board.

I've had an epiphany. Well... Okay, maybe not an epiphany per se, but a realisation.

The Blight Lords just don't cut it. They're okay models at best, but the whole idea of me selling my old Death Guard army, and building a new one, was that it should showcase the concept of my ideal DG army, no holds barred, full throttle, and modelled to the best of my ability. I've learned so much since 2011 when I built the old one, and I want this army to be the best I've ever done.

And the Blight Lords just don't cut it. I realised this when I started to paint them. They're too mish-mash, too many weird mutations, bad anatomy and weird stuff. So I'm scrapping them.

The good news is that I think I can make some awesome Terminators. The bad news is that they'll be made from Death Shroud, which will make a hideously expensive Terminator unit, since I need two boxes. But let's look on the bright side; the unit will have 6 models, which, when combined with Typhus, will bring them up to the number 7 - Score!

Expect to see some mockups and progress very soon.

On another note - I just got hold of the Plague Marine kit today (2 packs), and they. Are. Beautiful. Well, not really, but holy crap, even without having put one together yet, it's such a great looking kit, that I can easily forgive GW for not putting enough options in the box. I'm looking forward to putting some together tonight. :)

A squad of Deathshroud made into Blightlords should look ace. Been using the spare belly plates with spare Lords of Contagion myself as they are so much beefier.

The new plague marine sprues are mesmerizing. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

... Blight Shroud Terminators?

As promised, here is my progress on the "Blight Shroud Terminators". I'm much more happy with this, than the standard Blight Lord Terminators. They just don't feel or look right to me. These however - these I feel give the massive, hulking feel of 1.5 tonnes of armoured decay, evil and ceramite that I want them to have.

I will warn anyone attempting do these however - these are NOT simple arm swaps or easy conversions. They involve very complicated removal of arms, sockets, etc. and some quite complicated cutting to get the new arms to sit right. However, I think they're definitely worth it, and I can't wait for the other box of Death Shroud (which seems to be sold out almost everywhere in Denmark at the moment) so I can make another two combiplas/axe guys and a Mace of Contagion carrier. More to come soon...

blightshroud1.jpg

And a size comparison; even though it's the biggest of the Blight Lord Terminators, the champion (second from right) is still dwarfed both in height and girth by the new conversion - and the Grey Knight just seem to have lost all hope. :wink:

comp2.jpg

Fun fact; Maxime Pastourel (the lead designer of the new DG) has just revealed the designer team behind the kits on his blog - and lo and behold, it's Gavin Newton that's behind the Blight Lords kit - a designer which I'm usually not a fan of (he's also designed the new Ork Painboy, which I just think is a weird, bad sculpt) - on the other hand, the two new kits I like the most, the Death Shroud and the Plague Marines is both done by Mike Fores. Funny how a designers touch is apparent through his design. 

Edited by GuitaRasmus