Chaos codex release date 8/5/17

I'd still hold out "believing" the announcers until we have the book in hand. Wouldn't be the first time mistakes were made. Not a big deal, but I know I'll be disappointed believing the AoBF is still around, only to find out it's gone. That axe and I have a history together.

Best weapon in the game, that

I did ask them about Abaddon and they did answer.... no other changes to him specifically aside from what we already knew, which was 13point reduction and 2CPs. Basically this is what I asked for since the Index so I'm happy.

But that being said Abaddon with Death to False Emperor on 5+ and finding a way to get +1 ( prescience) is crazy good. He absolutely annihilated a Strike squad in CC. I gotta find my conversion! It's driving me nuts.

On World Eaters I did not hear a lot of great stuff that we did not already know. I've played them in 8th enough to get the feeling that it's still a very uphill battle for them. To this day I don't know why they don't have even a one time access to FnP against shooting attacks.

My big issue with WE is getting to the dance against very shoots armies, and then staying there long enough to make a difference.

I still love that new Khârn sculpt and I kept all my KDK but I've had very little success with it in 8th. I really don't know if it will be validated after this. I think it will maybe remain a 'b' player in other lists that have Psykers and snooty units. While that's not horrible, I'm going to wait to see the full codex to make any real judgment calls.

Now if you'll excuse me , I'm off to find Abe. Wish me luck. Lol ( He's been missing for two weeks)

Edited by Prot

I think the key to landing Berzerker charges is just going to be numbers saturation: keep throwing bodies at the guns and eventually something will give.  Even if they never actually make it into combat, if you can force an opponent to shift their lines as they maneuver to avoid your charge, you're shaping the battlefield.  Alternately, find a fixed point or two that the enemy absolutely cannot withdraw from -- an objective, or a particular piece of terrain that hinges their position for example -- and focus on closing in on that.  If the enemy can't afford to withdraw from a point for tactical reasons, you've found a spot of weakness.

You could also use Berserker as distraction Carnifex. Put 5 of them in a Rhino/Landraider and aim it at a tasty target. Act as if getting them into melee is your big plan for the game. So while he focusses the Rhino/Landraider you can wreck havoc with stuff like Terminators, Raptors, Warptalons or whatever. :tongue.:

I did ask them about Abaddon and they did answer.... no other changes to him specifically aside from what we already knew, which was 13point reduction and 2CPs. Basically this is what I asked for since the Index so I'm happy.

But that being said Abaddon with Death to False Emperor on 5+ and finding a way to get +1 ( prescience) is crazy good. He absolutely annihilated a Strike squad in CC. I gotta find my conversion! It's driving me nuts.

Mine is based on Zhufor. Love the model.

Well, after looking at the rumored WB trait rule, I guess I'll be running my WB as WE.  Reroll failed morale tests; that might be good if I run cultists mobs, but I'd rather get an extra hit on the charge.

Mine is the Warexclusive Gamer version "master of Crusade" that just got released.  So I have a new shiny abbadon that is Gravis-captain sized; I.e. huge. 

Well, after looking at the rumored WB trait rule, I guess I'll be running my WB as WE. Reroll failed morale tests; that might be good if I run cultists mobs, but I'd rather get an extra hit on the charge.

Don't count out the WB rules yet, we haven't seen the strategem, warlord trait or artifacts yet so the WB rules could still be solid. Hopefully their article will come out on Sunday.

Well, after looking at the rumored WB trait rule, I guess I'll be running my WB as WE. Reroll failed morale tests; that might be good if I run cultists mobs, but I'd rather get an extra hit on the charge.

Don't count out the WB rules yet, we haven't seen the strategem, warlord trait or artifacts yet so the WB rules could still be solid. Hopefully their article will come out on Sunday.

Yeah, guess I'll be praying to the Gods for the other WB Legion rules to be good. It is just that re-rolling morale seems so situational, unless there are going to be other armies that will have leadership modifying rules.

Mine is the Warexclusive Gamer version "master of Crusade" that just got released. So I have a new shiny abbadon that is Gravis-captain sized; I.e. huge.

I was just looking at that model and it looks really cool. Do you already have yours painted up? I'd love to see one finished

Mine is the Warexclusive Gamer version "master of Crusade" that just got released. So I have a new shiny abbadon that is Gravis-captain sized; I.e. huge.

I was just looking at that model and it looks really cool. Do you already have yours painted up? I'd love to see one finished

I do not as of yet my friend; just posted in the mail.  When it arrives ill upload some pics. The bugger is huge and impressive in the actual cast. And costs the same as any GW character now so meh on cost. 

I don't understand what some of you are saying about the EC trait and the charging.

-edit to amend- nevermind, but if you don't withdraw then you always treat it as if you charged them...

Edited by Arkangilos

ok, going though the review, items of note so far:

List got long, gonna sblock it

1) Exalted Champions are real

2) the base wargear list is the same - so no daemon weapons outside of artefacts, no master crafted weapons, the same awkward wording on champion gear that makes it sound like if you take a bolter/combi bolter then you can't take any other weapons (no combi bolter/power weapon, can't even take a bolter+bolt pistol like regular dudes)

- psychic powers -

3) nurgle power buffs a nurgle heretic astartes unit w/in 18" cast on a six, until your next psychic phase attacks against that unit suffer -1 to hit.  very nice.

4) other psychic powers are as previously spoiled elsewhere

- unit profiles -

5) abby looks the same apart from the bonus command points

6) bile looks the same

7) doom sirens are assault d6 instead of d3 now

8) cypher and fallen look the same.  the prohibition against fallen rhinos (or anything else apart from cypher and the special fallen unit) remains.

9) huron grants a single extra command point if he's your warlord, otherwise looks the same to me

10) daemon prince is power rating 8, or 9 with wings, otherwise looks the same as the current CSM version to me.

11) lord looks the same to me

12) termi lord is power 6 instead of 7

13) regular sorcerer is power 6 instead of 7

14) termi sorcerer looks the same

15) NO LORDS OR SORCERERS ON DAEMONIC STEEDS (though they should still be legal with current rules)

16) NO LORDS OR SORCERERS ON BIKES (again still playable out of the index)

17) exalted champion is there, power armor only, 4 wound hero, same power rating as a lord tho.  gets to reroll failed hits against enemy characters.  grants aura that lets friendly legion units w/in 6" reroll ALL failed wounds, not just ones, but ONLY in the fight phase

18) smiths are power 5 instead of 6

19) basic CSMs look the same

20) cultists look the same

21) rules are included for each of the four primary daemon types, for summoning I guess.  They do not have the heretic astartes faction keyword.

22) I am not familiar enough with their rules to say if they look any different.

23) extra batches of berzerkers are +4 power rating instead of +5, otherwise they look the same to me.

24) rubric marines are 7 power rating instead of 8 for the first five, but +7 instead of +6 for extra batches.  Look the same to me otherwise.

25) plague marines have a lot more equipment options in melee.  They can trade their bolters for an axe (S+1 AP-2 D1; plague weapon; +1 attack for having the knife in the off hand), or a second plague knife (+1 attack with their other knife).  Up to two can replace their bolters with maces (S+2 AP-1 D3 -1 to hit; plague weapon; +1 attack for having the knife in the off hand) AND the previously mentioned axe,  and two more can replace their bolters with cleavers (Sx2 AP-3 Dd6; plague weapon) or flails (d3 attacks for every attack on the users profile; S+2 AP -2 D2; excess damage isn't lost, just roll it onto the next model in the unit; plague weapon).  these melee upgrades are in addition to the prior special weapon options.  the champion doesn't get any of these special melee upgrade options, but their power fist is in addition to all their other weapons, so they can have fist, plasmagun, and plague sword in case they don't want to take the penalty to hit from the fist.  Power rating stays 7, I cannot make out the power cost for extra batches.

26) Noise marines are 6 power instead of 7, doom sirens d6 hits instead of d3, I can't make out any other changes or not

27) chosen are one power rating cheaper both at base cost and for batches, otherwise look the same to me

28) mutilators are power 7 instead of 10, looks like a hefty points drop will be coming their way.  cannot see anything else.

29) terminators look the same

30) possessed are 2 wounds instead of 1, same power, can't really see whether anything else is changed

31) helbrute is power 7 instead of 8, otherwise looks the same

32) bikers are power 5 instead of 7, otherwise look the same

33) spawn look the same

34) raptors are power 6 instead of 7, can't see any other changes

35) warp talons are power 7 instead of 9, look the same otherwise

36) havocs look the same

37) oblits have twice as many shots, otherwise look the same as before.  That means that, at worst, they're armed with reaper autocannons, with the potential for up to 4 shots each at S9, AP-3, D3.  still unreliable, but double the output from before at the same cost may move them up to usable.  We'll see.

38) land raider looks the same.

39) Defiler is power 11 instead of 16, a whopping 5 power less, discount of almost a third if points follow suit.  Otherwise looks the same.

40) Forgefiend is power 9 instead of 10, otherwise looks the same.

41) Maulerfiend looks the same.

42) Vindicator is power 8 instead of 11, cannot make out if there are any other changes.

43) Predator is power 9 instead of 10, otherwise look the same.

44) can't make out rhino at all.  Power rating stays the same at least.

45) heldrake looks the same.

46) LORD OF SKULLS IS POWER RATING 29 INSTEAD OF 39.  If the points follow suite, it will be fully 25% cheaper.  I don't see any other changes, but cannot make it all out.

- faction/subfaction rules -

47) As previously spoiled, Pure-CSM detachments (not the regular daemon units do not count even though they appear in the book as they don't have the legion keyword) gain the same objective secured style rule as vanilla space marines

48) Legion traits look to be as spoiled previously.  Of the ones not already previewed, that's ATSKNF for Word Bearers, -1 to hit Alpha Legion units more than 12" from the shooter, and Renegade Chapters can advance and Charge.

49) Fallen units and Bile, as spoiled previously, can be ignored when determining if your detachment qualifies for legion goodies, but cannot benefit from those goodies themselves.

- stratagems

50), gods, there are so many stratagems....

51) EDIT - never mind, I was able to read this below

52) Flakk Missile - 1CP - use on a single Heretic Astartes model with a missile launcher targeting a flyer in the shooting phase.  Instead of firing normally, the user makes one attack at +1 to hit that causes D3 mortal wounds if it hits.

53) Fire Frenzy - 1 CP - use on a helbrute in the shooting phase and only if it stood still in the movement phase.  It shoots all its weapons twice, but can only target the closest visible enemy unit.  Remember, Leviathans are helbrutes, now.

54) Forward Operatives - 1 CP - Alpha Legion only, use during deployment on an Alpha Legion infantry unit.  Don't set them up normally.  Instead, after deployment but before the first turn, set them up anywhere on the table more than 9" from any enemy models.

55) Dark Pact - 1 CP - Word Bearers only, use when one of their characters attempts to summon daemons, may re-roll the dice, and does not suffer wounds on doubles or triples

56) Excess of Violence - 1 CP - Emperor's Children only, use on an Emperor's Children unit in the fight phase, each time the model slays an enemy model, it can make another hit roll with the same weapon against the same target.  This hit rolls can't generate more hits.  Note that hit rolls from DttFE cannot trigger extra attacks from EoV or vice versa.  However, attacks from Music of the Apocalypse can, so long as the Noise Marine was slain and is making those attacks in the fight phase.  If a Noise Marine is slain by conscripts in the fight phase while under the effect of EoV, throws a Frag Grenade with Music of the Apocalypse, and kills 4 conscripts, then he will throw four more frag grenades before being removed as a casualty.  An unlikely circumstance, but cool if it happens

57) Demon Shell - 1 CP - use on a CSM character before firing a bolt pistol, bold gun, combi bolter, or the bolter part of a combi weapon.  Make a single hit roll with no rerolls allowed, if you hit deal D3 mortal wounds to the target, if you miss the character suffers D3 mortal wounds instead.

58) Gifts of Chaos - 1 or 3 CP - use before battle for 1 or 2 extra artifacts respectively.  Still only one of any given artifact, and only one on any given character.

59) Beseech the Dark Gods - 1 CP - use at the start of any of your turns on an unmarked CSM unit with the <mark of chaos> keyword.  Pick a mark, they have it now.  No word on what happens to non-mark only gear like the icon of vengeance.

60) Chaos Boon - 1 CP - ok I can read it now.  Use at the end of a fight phase on a CSM character that isn't a daemon prince and that killed an enemy character, monster, or vehicle in that phase. roll 2d6 and consult the chart: 2 - the character dies, but you get a consolation spawn; 3 - add 6" to their ranged weapon ranges; 4 - add 3" to their move stat; 5 - +1 strength; 6 - +1 attacks; 7 - choose any result you want other than 2 or 12; 8 - enemies suffer -1 to hit rolls against the character in melee; 9 - +1 to saving throws; 10 - +1 toughness; 11 - +1 wounds; 12 - the character dies, but you get a consolation Daemon Prince.  Spawn and princes created by this stratagem don't cost reserve points.

61) Blasphemous Machines - 1 CP - use on a CSM vehicle in the shooting phase, it ignores the hit penalties associated with heavy and assault weapons

62) Veterans of the Long War - 1 CP - use on a CSM infantry or bike unit in the shooting or fight phase; the unit gains +1 to wound rolls that turn.

63) Grandfather's Blessing - 2 CP - use on a CSM Nurgle Infantry or Biker unit at the end of your move phase.  An injured model in the unit regains d3 wounds.  If there are no injured models in the unit, restore one slain model to the unit with one wound remaining

64) The Great Sorcerer - 1 CP - use on a CSM Tzeentch Psyker at the end of your psychic phase to immediately attempt one additional psychic power

65) Tide of Traitors - 2 CP - use at the end of your movement phase on a cultist unit.  Remove the cultist unit from the table, redeploy it at its original starting strength within 6" of your board edge and more than 9" from any enemy.

66) Linebreaker Bombardment - 1 CP, use on a trio of chaos vindicators during the shooting phase.  None of them shoot normally this turn.  Instead pick a point within 24" of all of them and roll a die for each enemy unit within 3" of the point (-1 for characters, +1 for units of 10+).  On a 4+, the unit suffers 3d3 mortal wounds.

67) Killshot - 1 CP - use on a trio of chaos predators during the shooting phase.  They all gain +1 to wound monsters and vehicles that phase.

68) Daemonforge - 1 CP - use on a chaos daemon vehicle in the shoot or fight phase to re-roll all failed hit and wound rolls that phase.  I'm imagining this on a Lord of Skulls and laughing.

69) Chaos Familiar - 1 CP - use on a chaos marine psyker at the start of the psychic phase to swap out one of their powers for another form the CSM psychic powers list

- artefacts - 

70) Murder Sword - replaces a power sword, S+1 AP-4 D1.  Pick an enemy character at the start of the game and tell your opponent.  Against that character the sword inflicts a mortal wound on every hit instead of normal damage.

71) Puscleaver - nurgle only - replaces a power sword, S user AP-2 Dd3, wounds non-vehicle models on a 2+ regardless of toughness.

72) Intoxicating Elixer - slaanesh only - +1 Srength and attacks

73) Eye of Tzeentch - tzeentch psyker only - +1 to cast smite

74) Talisman of Burning Blood - khorne only - can advance and charge, can re-roll failed charges

75) Axe of Blind Fury - khorne only - replaces a power axe, S+3 AP-3 Dd3, hit rolls of 1 cannot be re-rolled or modified and will hit friendly units within 1" of the character if there are any (otherwise will miss normally - you won't hit yourself)

76) Black Mace - replaces a power maul, S+3 AP-2 D2, for every model slain roll a die, on a 6 that models unit suffers an extra mortal wound at the end of the phase

77) Eye of Night - black legion only - 1/game instead of shooting other weapons in the shooting phase make a single attack against an enemy vehicle within line of sight, on a 2+ it suffers d3 mortal wounds.  Frankly, I find this extremely disappointing.

78) Cursed Crozius - word bearers only - replaces a power mace, S+2 AP-2 D3, re-roll failed wound rolls against Imperials

79) Blade of the Hydra - alpha legion only - replaces a chainsword, S+1 AP? D?, +d3 attacks with this weapon in melee

80) Blissgiver - emperor's children only - replaces a bolt pistol, 6" range, assault d6, S user, AP-1 D1, can be fired in melee, if it woulds a character without killing them roll a d6 at the end of the phase and on a 6 they suffer d3 mortal wounds

- warlord traits - 

81) Eternal Vendetta - Huron always takes this -  re-roll failed wound rolls for your warlord in the fight phase against Adeptus Astartes units

82) Flames of Spite - If your warlord rolls a 6+ to wound in the fight phase, the target suffers a mortal wound in addition to other damage.

83) Lord of Terror - Bile always picks this - enemy units that test morale within 6" of your warlord roll two dice and take the highest

84) Exalted Champion - your warlord gains +1 attack

85) Unholy Fortitude - your warlord gains +1 wound and ignores wounds suffered on a 6+

86) Hatred Incarnate - you can re-roll wound rolls of 1 made by your warlord

87) Stimulated by Pain - emperor's children only, lucious always takes this - your warlord gains +1 attack for every wound suffered, up to +3 max.  Healed wounds remove the bonus attacks as well.

88) Abaddon always takes the black legion trait if he's your warlord

89) Khârn always takes the World Eaters trait if he's your warlord

89) Voice of Lorgar - word bearers only - +3" aura range

90) I Am Alpharius - Alpha Legion only - pick a chaos marine warlord trait in addition to this one.  If your warlord dies, pick a new Alpha Legion character to be your warlord, and give them this warlord trait (including choosing an additional CSM warlord trait for them).  Your opponent only counts as slaying your warlord if you run out of Alpha Legion characters to pass this trait to.  I love it.

91) Cypher can be your warlord, but doesn't get to have a warlord trait at all

- points -

92) I'm too tired to try to make out any points costs, but the lord of skulls at least is fully 100 points cheaper before considering weapons

Edited by malisteen

To add to Malisteen's points above, I picked some interesting things out from what I could read on the pages:

Word Bearers Stratagem: Dark Pack

Re-roll any summoning dice and no mortal wounds on doubles/triples!

Word Bearer Warlord Trait (if I read it right)

+3” to Warlord’s auras.

Generic WT’s

+1 A; Opponent rolls 2 dice for morale within 6” and picks highest; re-roll to wound rolls of 1; +1 Wound and 6+ (I think) FNP; additional Mortal Wound on 6+; re-roll failed to wound in fight phase against Adeptus Astartes.

Exalted Champions

Same Profile / Wargear as SM Lieutenant except they gain +1 Attack and lose the Boltgun

Better rules than SM version however…

Re-roll failed wound rolls in fight phase within 6” – SM was only re-roll 1’s

Model can re-roll failed hit rolls when targeting a character

Bloodletters, Pink Horrors, Daemonettes and Plague Bearers are Troops choices.

All ‘cult’ troops are in still.

Boon Table Stratagem 1CP

Used in Fight Phase when your Character kills enemy Character, Hero or Monster

Spawn; +6” range; +3” move; +1 attack; choose; enemy -1 to hit in fight phase; +1 saving throws; +1 toughness; +1 wound; Daemon Prince

Nurgle Stratagem 2CP

Heal D3 wounds or return 1 model to life with single wound.

2CP

End of movement phase, remove a unit of Cultists and return them to the battlefield (6” from table edge, 9” from enemy) at full starting strength.

Relics

Axe of Blind Fury (+3 / -3 / D3 + Special) and Murder Sword (+1 / -4 / 1 + Special) are in! Black Mace too.

Plus 4 God specific ones (Khorne gets 2 AoBF + new one)

K = Advance +Charge and re-roll failed charges

S = +1 S+A

T = +1 to Psychic Test for Smite

N = Puscleaver Weapon