@A D-B 

On the Delvarus subject

out of curiosity, did you read Khârn: Eater of Worlds? There was a passage in that which led me to conclude the fate of Delvarus. which was wrong because he has turned up in the Black Legion series.

Forgive me for any ignorance, were you in contact with Anthony Reynolds about the World Eaters and the fates of the current named World Eaters?

Thanks for all the answers to your fans A D-B. And thanks for the Gloriana thing explanation. A lot of us 'adorne' void warfare and specific ship classes. So we could be upset with ship being unique in 1 novel and becoming 'standard' in the other. Fleets classification does not work that way.

I secondedWarsmith Kroeger question 'out of curiosity, did you read Khârn: Eater of Worlds? There was a passage in that which led me to conclude the fate of Delvarus. which was wrong because he has turned up in the Black Legion series. Forgive me for any ignorance, were you in contact with Anthony Reynolds about the World Eaters and the fates of the current named World Eaters?'

Did you planned his 'eventual fate' or is that just a prophesied hints for the future.

Also - 'Heritor changes position shortly after and says the current work actually sucks'. You could call me whatever you like - but I was never a hypocrite. If I called book bad - she will not grow nice and splendid on me in a month or year time.

I wrote for example that Talon of Horus was amazing - and I still stand by that opinion. I did tell that MoM was amazing but not the book I will re-read - and I stand by my opinion.

Whatever the level of trolling and sarcasm coming my way on forums, socials or in authors jokes.

As for the sarcasm - I'm not trying to be mean  (even through I know you all will see that as me being exactly that), but I kind off lost my sense of humor.

'When you stare in to the abyss you will lose your sense of humor'

Heritor is entitled to his opinion...we are entitled to criticise, agree, or ignore. Let's leave it at that.

I would describe his opinion of ADB as actually mixed though more positive than not. That said, he talks about other authours as well, so I don't think he has a special connection with ADB.

Heritor, could you please try to quote text inside quotation boxes? Your posts are an eye sore and a chore to read.

For example, instead of italicising...maybe try:

We always wanted a more 'personal' and investigated SM characters. A D-B provided us with it - but that point: 'The second has to do with the writing of mr ADB. I always enjoy his books during the first reading but i'm beginning to dislike some things lately. He gives a certain vitality and dynamism to his heroes but he is tryharding so much to achieve this-to make them almost real and alive- that ultimately, utterly fails (imo) to make a "realistic" representation of a Space Marine's personality and temperament. I mean all this casual talking, the jests and the jokes between them, some times feel so wrong and out of place....'

Just hopping in to join the praise. This has been worth every second waiting for it. Talon made me start a Legion Wars RPG Campaign. This has so much on how warbands are run or could be run. On life in Warp space. And we are getting a glimpse why Abbadon is the Nemesis of the Imperium. There are lot of clever thingies in this which I will probably only get on the reread.

What I wanted to point out was how much I liked how character are treated from other books and cameos are handled. The Ahriman references. The casual hints at Lheor's fate. Delvarus. Those didn't feel like an extra, unnecessary camera pan over a character in the background with extra nudge- nudge fanservice (" oh, look, here, Boba Fett is there, second on the right") or because they were in all those other books. Remember my other books? If haven't heard of Delvarus before, fine. There is enough here for that part he is playing here. If you know him, it's interesting to see him at this point of the story. But he is not critical to the story, especially for the story of the Black Legion. It's a nice change from the HH series, which lately feels like everything in the Heresy resolves around a handful f people. Huge bonus on having Abbadon's chief rival someone we have never heard from before and the Imperium never gets to know, while we are on a related subject.

But most of all, I love how the fight of with Sigismund is handled ( we are allowed to talk about this, yes? It's basically the teaser for this one anyway) Without spoiling, I just want to say how glad I am that is not a 20 page slugfest which will be chewed on like boxing footage later on, with fans on both sides endlessly arguing over the moves and details of swordplay, You know what it's that like. It has it's focus on the characters and their reactions to each other. Less "Can Batman beat Superman" is always more to me. I think it's the only way to give these legendary beings the room and respect they deserve in the story. I also feel it gives the fans of these characters the respect they deserve. It shows them at pivotal roles in the way the Imperium and the Long War develop. Opposite poles. It tells us quintessential things about both. Most importantly to me, it doesn't feel like "This whole book is just happening so Abbadon and Sigismund have that big fight at the End and we will market the heck out this". Cudos for that.

Oh, and for the "whatever things developed from that" thingy reference on the Vengeful Spirit's bridge which I am soo milking for Skaven in Space :)

Because nobody knows.

From what we know so far, it's more about AD-B feeling like continuing the series rather than Black Library contemplating on keeping it alive.

Indeed, with the recent events of 8th edition and potential changes to the fluff, AD-B may very well lose interest on Abaddon's character if the studio screws him up.

And they probably will.

I'm not a frequent flier in Bolter mainly because I don't have the knowledge, because my memory is crap for details like most in here. My heads too full of work sadly. But I've never understood the flack poor heritor gets. I really enjoy his posts they are refreshing and bold. I don't always agree, by the way mr A I'm loving Resurrection it's awesome. But he is a big asset for B&C.

Also I still haven't got Black Legion :cuss. Maybe that's Heritors fault? Fecker.

Not that I am very optimistic about the 8th edition background, but hasn't ADB been pretty positive about it as a whole? Granted, he has a very professional demeanor when posting online (as is proper, and of course, we all know ADB to be a right proper lad) so perhaps his undying disdain for the setting simmers beneath the surface, but I don't see my reason why there shouldn't be a third book. Or even a fourth. Hasn't ADB said this will be his Gaunts Ghosts, so to speak?

Not that I am very optimistic about the 8th edition background, but hasn't ADB been pretty positive about it as a whole? Granted, he has a very professional demeanor when posting online (as is proper, and of course, we all know ADB to be a right proper lad) so perhaps his undying disdain for the setting simmers beneath the surface, but I don't see my reason why there shouldn't be a third book. Or even a fourth. Hasn't ADB said this will be his Gaunts Ghosts, so to speak?

That's the original intent, yes. But then if the author loses interest in what he's writing, I don't really see the point of keeping it running while he could be writing about stuff he is enjoying.

I believe it's just down to how much Retcon goes into Abaddon moving forward.

I would hope that Chaos is left sacrosanct. There are facets of this setting which are too central, too canonical, too important to change.

Chaos, the Warp, it's place in the setting should be inviolable, and Eternal.

Are there any indications there will be a major rewrite of Abaddon or Chaos? I haven't heard anything about it.

Earlier in this thread, ADB made this post that led to some speculation on whether Abaddon's character might fundamentally change. I remember writing up some pretty negative posts that I immediately regretted, speculating that they might change his character for the sake of a big, cool flagship model or something. I think I edited out most of that cynicism very quickly, though.

But he did say that it was "a wild example. Not speculation or a hint." So for all we know, the Black Legion series is on track to continue.

Ah, found the post. It wasn't even that far back, so shame on me for not reading it haha. Well, hopefully ADB keeps up with the series, but as he says, such is the danger of IP work. Truthfully, I feel 40k has been shifting away from what i enjoyed in the setting for a long time, and it is ADBs work, alongside that of Abnett, French, Bligh, and Fehervari that kept the setting interesting for me in the wake of debacles like the advent of the Primaris marines and so on. Don't want to make this a doom and gloom thread, so I will clam up, but suffice it to say, would be a dark day in the hobby if they change the lore to the point that the series goes off behind the shed.

There are so many cool things in this book, but one that stuck with me is...

When Khayon explain how Sigismund survived so long. it was not skill, just pure hate. He survived by being a grumpy old man. To survive for a thousand year out of pure hate, that takes dedication.

So remember all you parents out there, if you want your kids to have a long life, teach them to hate.

Finished the second read through today (work laptop issues = plenty of reading time) - still going to take a good while to put some thoughts into sharper focus than frequent "WOW"s but I'm sure it'll come. There were just so many moments that carried resonance through not just the characters but the Nine Legions, the Imperium and it's inevitable self destructive spiral, the Long War, the reality of life in the Eye cast into even sharper relief when put against the backdrop of the Imperium, Drach'nyen and the Warp itself. I believe it surpasses ToH not because it is a better read but because it's scope is much grander, more ambitious and it's revelations more enjoyable. Good example being

Ilyaster being a devotee of Nurgle yet isn't a wrecked carcass dripping in disease and corruption - he's simply a weathered, withered corpse that hasn't had the grace to die. It's that kind of outside the box thinking that makes this such a great read.

The only real criticisms I have are petty and based solely on my insatiable greed to read everything in as short a space of time as possible whereas this is a series that could span dozens of books and only an idiot unloads every great idea in the first couple of volumes.

The ultimate highlight for me, given the volume of discussion on these boards about it, is:

Sigismund getting the death he deserved in a way that did nothing but add character and utter awesomeness through it all - hard to decide who came out of that fight enhanced more - Sigismund and his "slowing down to the speed of the Legion Elite" due to being a thousand year old sustained by duty and spite or Abaddon and the almost desperation in his plea "Don't make me kill you." Actually had to put the book down at that point because that sentiment floored me. And at the end, after all the moaning and complaining on here that dying would diminish the Black Templar, Abaddon's closing musings on the duel cap off the Legend Sigismund deserved - "He wouldn't die. He just wouldn't die" Perfect

Oh and can we have more Vortigern in Vol III. He's one of the Ezekarion who has heaps of character potential

And at the end, after all the moaning and complaining on here that dying would diminish the Black Templar

"All the moaning and conplaining"? Where?

I'm one of the few who isn't crazy about the idea (though I'm open to anything written by ADB).

Most people are lavishing praise upon how ADB handles the scene.

And at the end, after all the moaning and complaining on here that dying would diminish the Black Templar

"All the moaning and conplaining"? Where?

I'm one of the few who isn't crazy about the idea (though I'm open to anything written by ADB).

Most people are lavishing praise upon how ADB handles the scene.

As soon as the idea that Abaddon might kill Sigismund surfaced, even prior to Talon of Horus coming out the nerd rage was unreal, mainly from the fan boys screaming that he'd never be able to beat him and that it would be nothing but a cheap kick for Abaddon to be on his way to the whole Warmaster of Chaos deal. Which ADB did a fine job of refuting with the talk of a legendary death being the ultimate aim in warrior cultures the world over etc etc

Dying with his duty undone was the greatest disservice done to Sigismund.

His death was meaningless and achieved nothing at all.

He didn't stop Abbadon, he didn't stop the Black Crusade, he didnt do anything of impact. He was there just to be killed and develop Abbadon character.

His "glourius" death is an empty one.

Archived