Questions from a Newbie

Marius Septimus

Hello fellow Brothers,

So first things first, I am completly new to this forum and the game, ergo I dont know any of the basic rules yet (watched some Battle Reports though). I started with a "Start Collecting" Edition from the Blood Angels, an Adeptus Astartes Codex from the 8th Editon and a Death Company Kit (plus Colours for the Blood Angels, a normal and a fine detail brush and some Citadel Pallets.)

So this is where my struggle starts:

After looking at some Death Korps of Krieg miniatures, I realy got into them until i saw their price on FW ( which is way to expensive for me), but they got me into the Cadian Troops and the Astra Militarium in General.

So now to my questions.

1. What should I consider when starting my army? I wanted to start with the "Start collecting" Edition of the Astra Militarium and some artillery (if there is anything cheaper then a Basilisk). I dont want to spent 100€+ for an army, I just want a small force to get into the game and learn the rules.

2. I really like the Catachan Jungle Troops, could I use them in my Cadian army?

3. Yesterday I watched our Lord and Saviour of the thinned paints, Duncan, on Warhammer TV painting some Cadian Shock Troops. From what I saw it looked fairly easier then painting my Blood Angels, which came out pretty ok, but not nearly as good as shown on their packings (feels bad man). Are Cadian Troops easier to paint for a beginner like me?

4. I wanted to focus my army on artillery and entrenchment, is it possible in the Tabletop to play like that and build entrenchments for my troops? Because I really like the thought of the enemy charging into my lines after getting ripped apart by my artillery and my guardsmen wiping the rest of his army. Can you build/place fortifications like trenches and sandbags on the field?

5. Which basic paints do I need to make my army look decent? I dont want to spent over 35€+ for paint I am not really using (like I did with Blood Angels) beause my Highlighting looks awful. I just want a decent looking army, not something you could put into a museum ( If you know what I mean).

6. Any other tips for a newbie in the ranks of the Hammer of the Emperor?

If this topic is placed in the wrong section, please excuse my heresy and feel free to move it into the right section.

The Emperor protects!

Marius Septimus

1. Start collecting is good as is the basilisk, some more infantry or heavy weapons wouldn't go amiss.

2. You need all units to be from the same regiment so you could use catachan models but have to use cadian rules.

3. They're easy enough to paint, just don't use anything larger than a standard brush.

4. You can play like that with an Aegis line or wall of martyrs. That's Krieg style, if you want to play them check out Anvil Industry for third party models.

5. For cadians, castellan green, zandri dust, bugman's glow and leadbelcher will get you started.

6. It's easier to get a finished army if you buy a squad then paint it before buying another, that way you avoid a grey mountain.

I would wait until the new codex comes out in 2 weeks. But I doubt many of my answers would change. So lets do this:

1) Start collecting box is ok. Russes are not great, but might be in the new codex. I would recommend getting some cheap units of ebay (there are loads of them!). Much cheaper than buying new and there are 100s of guard lots on ebay.

2) Catachan are their own regiment! you can use as many different regiments as you like in your guard army. you can field all catachan, all cadian, a mix of the two, etc.

3)I find cadians simple to paint, doesnt take too long.

4) Easily. Bring ageis defence lines, bunkers, imperial defence networks. there is one detatchment that lets you bring 1-3 fortifications. 

5)Depends on your colour scheme. I go for a red fatigues and bone armour for mine and use maybe 10 - 15 paints (that includes the base paint and the washes). Depends if it is basic units or officers, special weapons, etc

6) Guard can be anything you want it to be. That is the beauty of it. Find what you want and you can easily make it. But most importantly. HAVE FUN! 

Thanks for the quick and detailed  answers guys :smile.:

I think i will wait then till the next Codex arrives and will then step by at my local GW.

Three questions left:

1.What is the difference between the Steel Legion and normal Cadian Soldiers? I like the gas and face masks the Steel Legion wears but their model variety seems more limited.

2. How should i get started learning the game? Just step in my Games Workshop store? Read the basic rules?

3. Are these "HQ" Units ( for example the Cadian Command Squad) necessary or how do they get into play?

Hope I am not asking too much questions :huh.:

Have a nice day

The Emperor protects

EDIT: Anvil Industries parts looks sweet, are they compatible  with the normal guardsman parts from GW?

Edited by Marius Septimus

1) Steel legion is just another regiment. Once the codex is released, each regiment will have a unique bonus associated with it - check the warhammer community website this week to get an idea of these bonuses. And yeah variety is a bit mote limited, but steel legion and vostroya are probably the most complete lines outside of cadia and catachan. Keep in mind theyre metal though, not plastic.

2) Both of those options work. Though for an absolute beginner, asking for help is probably easier.

3) HQ is necessary, yeah. They're basically your army's leaders. And they are especially important for guard armies.

Hope this helps!

:)

Thanks for the quick and detailed  answers guys :smile.:

I think i will wait then till the next Codex arrives and will then step by at my local GW.

Three questions left:

1.What is the difference between the Steel Legion and normal Cadian Soldiers? I like the gas and face masks the Steel Legion wears but their model variety seems more limited.

2. How should i get started learning the game? Just step in my Games Workshop store? Read the basic rules?

3. Are these "HQ" Units ( for example the Cadian Command Squad) necessary or how do they get into play?

Hope I am not asking too much questions :huh.:

Have a nice day

The Emperor protects

EDIT: Anvil Industries parts looks sweet, are they compatible  with the normal guardsman parts from GW?

1. The Steel Legion model line is much older (from around 1995 I think?) and all metal as you've seen. The Cadian range is still old (2003) but at least comes mostly in plastic, meaning there's a lot more you can do with them in terms of poses, conversions, etc. Plus Cadians are cheaper to buy for that reason. With the new Codex for the Astra Militarum coming out in just over a weeks time, the Steel Legion and Cadians will be getting a few unique rules that differ 'em a bit on the tabletop, but they probably won't be anything massive. Previously (and in the lore) Steel Legion had a focus on mechanised infantry mounted in Chimeras.

2. Stepping into a Games Workshop would be a great start since the staffers there are meant to help newbies like yourself get into the hobby. Reading over the basic rules couldn't hurt either, but they'll walk you through that I imagine. 

3. HQ units are necessary for every army, but for the Astra Militarum they're especially important because of the Orders mechanic (one of the army's unique rules) and how HQ units help with Guardsmen's mediocre morale. 

Edited by Lord Marshal

1. Steel legion models are all metal so they're harder to work with and generally monopose. In the new codex there will be different rules for Cadian and Steel Legion regiments.

2. You're local GW probably runs events of some kind, if not there should be people willing to teach you. Reading the basic rules are a good idea (they're available for free on the GW website).

3. HQs are needed for every type of detachment in matched play but not required for narrative, you should get one as they add quite a lot tot he army.

4. Anvil parts are compatible with the plastic GW models just be aware the heads from Anvil don't fit GW torsos without work and GW heads don't really go with Anvil torsos. 

1. steel legion are just another regiment. All metal with limited options available

2. Have a read and pop into your local GW. The staff there are to help those new to the hobby

3. HQs are so vital for guard! each officer can issue one of 6 buffs to 2 same regiment infantry units. I run 3 officers in 2000 points 

Thanks guys you are really helping me out!

If the Steel Legion is made of steel (insert pun here) I think I will stick to Cadians, just for the customization.

I'll be reporting back when I've fought (and surely won :D) the first battle for the Emperor, maybe with pictures of my own small force then :)

Thanks again for your nice and detailed posts.

The Emperor protects

Hello fellow Brothers,

1. What should I consider when starting my army? I wanted to start with the "Start collecting" Edition of the Astra Militarium and some artillery (if there is anything cheaper then a Basilisk). I dont want to spent 100€+ for an army, I just want a small force to get into the game and learn the rules.

2. I really like the Catachan Jungle Troops, could I use them in my Cadian army?

3. Yesterday I watched our Lord and Saviour of the thinned paints, Duncan, on Warhammer TV painting some Cadian Shock Troops. From what I saw it looked fairly easier then painting my Blood Angels, which came out pretty ok, but not nearly as good as shown on their packings (feels bad man). Are Cadian Troops easier to paint for a beginner like me?

4. I wanted to focus my army on artillery and entrenchment, is it possible in the Tabletop to play like that and build entrenchments for my troops? Because I really like the thought of the enemy charging into my lines after getting ripped apart by my artillery and my guardsmen wiping the rest of his army. Can you build/place fortifications like trenches and sandbags on the field?

5. Which basic paints do I need to make my army look decent? I dont want to spent over 35€+ for paint I am not really using (like I did with Blood Angels) beause my Highlighting looks awful. I just want a decent looking army, not something you could put into a museum ( If you know what I mean).

1. If you have already picked up a box its not bad. I would wait for the new book to come out GW has been doing deals with a starter set and the army book. 

2. Yes. For most people using guard if your not running the regiment the model is made for tell them at the start of the game. 

3. 50/50 on this one. A standard SM is probably easier since its plate and there are less of them. 10 guardsmen are less than 1 terminator in points. If you are just starting out on painting by the time you are done with your force you will probably want to go back and repaint the first ones as you would have gotten better at painting. 

4. This is completely doable, the majority of games you will play will require you to move to take objectives so you will want a mobile element to your force. The static gunline though has always been solid. 

5. Get a carry case. I use battlefoam its a bit pricey but I have hundreds of painted models and a Death Korps army that I want to keep safe. Also I can stage my forces in the foam so its faster for me to set up and clean up. 

1. Currently its just the model. They used to have different rules and when the new book comes out in ~2 weeks there will be differences. Right now we don't know what it is going to be. We are all guessing. 

2. Yes.

3. HQ units are required. If you go to a GW store they should be able to explain what is required for basic games. Patrol is 1 HQ and 1 troop minimum. The command squad box is also good to get as its the only IG official place to get a lot of our special weapon options. 

Hello fellow Brothers,

1. If you have already picked up a box its not bad. I would wait for the new book to come out GW has been doing deals with a starter set and the army book. 

2. Yes. For most people using guard if your not running the regiment the model is made for tell them at the start of the game. 

3. 50/50 on this one. A standard SM is probably easier since its plate and there are less of them. 10 guardsmen are less than 1 terminator in points. If you are just starting out on painting by the time you are done with your force you will probably want to go back and repaint the first ones as you would have gotten better at painting. 

4. This is completely doable, the majority of games you will play will require you to move to take objectives so you will want a mobile element to your force. The static gunline though has always been solid. 

5. Get a carry case. I use battlefoam its a bit pricey but I have hundreds of painted models and a Death Korps army that I want to keep safe. Also I can stage my forces in the foam so its faster for me to set up and clean up. 

1. Currently its just the model. They used to have different rules and when the new book comes out in ~2 weeks there will be differences. Right now we don't know what it is going to be. We are all guessing. 

2. Yes.

3. HQ units are required. If you go to a GW store they should be able to explain what is required for basic games. Patrol is 1 HQ and 1 troop minimum. The command squad box is also good to get as its the only IG official place to get a lot of our special weapon options. 

Thanks man if GW will offer a deal like you said i will totally wait and grab that bundle.

Just one question left: What are my options for artillery? Right now I only know the Basilisk, which is a mobile artillery. Are there any fixed/deployable artillery guns?

Otherwise thanks for your detailed answers, always welcome :)

The Emperor protects

Yes, GW side you have the mortar. :)

Other than that you have to go to FW. I bought the digital versions of the indexes $20 US. Right now the earthshaker platform is #1 for efficiency to get earthsakers on the board for points. If you are just starting I would suggest to sick with the new IG book. 

GW you have 

Manitocore

Death Strike

FW

Earthshaker Platform

Earthshaker Carriage

Griffon

Heavy mortar

Colossus

Medusa

Medusa carriage

If you're not going to play at a GW store and not intending to go to GW tournaments, you can look at companies like Anvil Industry to supplement your army. They just recenltly released a Jungle Fighter line if you still want to go into Catachans, and they also sell a line comparable with both Krieg and Steel Legion.

Hello fellow Brothers,

So first things first, I am completly new to this forum and the game, ergo I dont know any of the basic rules yet (watched some Battle Reports though). I started with a "Start Collecting" Edition from the Blood Angels, an Adeptus Astartes Codex from the 8th Editon and a Death Company Kit (plus Colours for the Blood Angels, a normal and a fine detail brush and some Citadel Pallets.)

So this is where my struggle starts:

After looking at some Death Korps of Krieg miniatures, I realy got into them until i saw their price on FW ( which is way to expensive for me), but they got me into the Cadian Troops and the Astra Militarium in General.

Welcome to the Barracks. Regimental HQ is up the hill, best to stay away from there unless you want to run afoul of a commissar or three. Death Korps of Krieg has some truly awesome models, but I feel the same about the price tag (says the guy with 40+ Metal Kasrkin...). 

Consider the following advice with this in mind, we have a new Codex about to drop in the next week or two, so I'd hold off on purchasing anything until the new codex is out. Unless you really just want to paint some models and that's fine. 

That seems like as good a place as any to start. Given that the Start collecting box gives you a Patrol Detachment (1 HQ, the Ordo Prefectus Commmissar, an Infantry Squad, and the optional Leman Russ Tank). Adding some artillery is fine, the Wyvern is still a standout, though the Basilisk is probably better this edition. Alternatively, Run the Leman Russ as a Tank Commander and the Commissar as a regular commissar.

The index is kinda iffy on this. It doesn't allow or disallow running multiple regiments in the same detachment (as far as I can tell), but you'll need a Catachan officer to run with catachan infantry. Now, if it's just the look and not the fluff you're after, I'd say go for it, unless you plan to play tournaments, in which case, you might want to stick with all one model range to be safe. Now, you could run a separate detachment and all is hunky dory.

It's going to depend on what standard you want to paint to. Tabletop standard is basically at least two colors and a wash. It's also going to depend on what tools you have available to you. I have an Airbrush, which makes short work of painting. I usually only go ham on my Special Characters though, because they have the most intricate molds. Are Cadians easier to paint than marines, typically yes. Which is good, since you'll end up painting a lot of them. Then there is the Showcase standard, where you spend a ridiculous amount of time on one model, doing object-source-highlighting on each and every guardsman. For now, I'd focus on Tabletop standard, maybe a half step towards Showcase. It all depends on how much time you want to devote to painting. Bear in mind do you want them to look good from 6" away, or is looking good from 18" away sufficient.

Well, you've come to the right place. Imperial Guard does gunlines very well. Especially right now while conscripts are good... It is very possible and viable to simply park your army in cover and bombard your opponent with artillery and then with massed lasgun fire as he advances across the table. You can, in fact place fortifications, you can even take them as part of your army so that you can ensure that they end up in advantageous positions for your army. The Aegis Defense Line is a prime example of this, not to mention the fact that it is one of your cheapest sources of anti-aircraft. 

All that is really required is for you to take full advantage of the Guard's game mechanics, like orders. First Rank Fire Second Rank Fire (FRFSRF for short) will double your output of shots with lasguns and hotshot lasguns. Use officer to buff your units, commissars to keep your men in formation, and masters of ordnance to make your artillery more effective. 

Right, so back to Tabletop standard. If it's box-art cadians you want, you'll be looking at a tan color for the fatigues, and a drab green for the armor. Then a shade to make the recesses darker. Also primer, a can of primer will last a while. I use cheap automotive spray can primer, because it's basically the same stuff for much cheaper than citadel primer. That's it, primer, 2 colors and a shade (probably a green one or a brown one). You can also go with a company other than Citadel, to save some money, just don't use Acrylic enamels like testors paints, those will end up looking awful and good luck ever getting that stuff off a plastic model (acetone is the only common solvent that will strip acrylic enamels, but will also melt the styrene plastic, so yeah). Your local hobby store should have someone knowledgeable on staff to help you out.

Have fun, that's probably the most important. Also, when you do play, expect to lose. In fact, don't expect to win for a while. The Game will take some time to get used to. When you do start winning, Be as gracious in victory as you are in defeat, and treat every game as a learning experience. Remember that you will often learn more from defeat that you will from victory. 

When in doubt, crush your enemies beneath the treads of the mighty tanks of the Imperium! It's all about feeling out how you want your army to play. A Guard Army is never finished, there will always be more infantry, more tanks, and more aircraft to add to your collection. It might take time, but eventually you'll have more options than you can feasibly take in a single game, then it's time to get a bunch of your friends together, put everything you have on the table and have a mighty battle of Apocalyptic proportions. 

Also remember these words, I think they come from the Infantryman's Uplifting Primer (I dunno, I never read it, used it for TP during a siege by Orks...): "When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in circles wave your arms and shout!"

Just one question left: What are my options for artillery? Right now I only know the Basilisk, which is a mobile artillery. Are there any fixed/deployable artillery guns?

Ok, much like pliskin said:

On the GW Side you have:

Fixed:

Heavy Weapons Squad (Mortars)

Mobile:

Manticore

DeathStrike

Basilisk

Hydra (Anti Aircraft Artillery)

Wyvern

On the FW Side you have:

Fixed:

Artillery platforms (Earthshaker, Medusa, Manticore and Hydra)

Artillery Carriages (Earthshaker, Medusa)

Quad Thudd Gun

Heavy Mortar

Rapier platform

Mobile:

Armageddon pattern (Basilisk, Medusa)

Griffon Mortar Carrier (OOP, chimera chassis w/heavy mortar, still has rules though)

Praetor (Superheavy MLRS)

Minotaur

Imperial Bombard

I only included things that don't require LOS to use. I'm going to recommend though that you only use GW mobile artillery, since those are the only ones that have synergy with the Master of Ordnance as of now. Again it might be wise to wait for the codex.

First of all, thanks brother Ulrik for the effort you've put in your post :smile.:

You really made your points clear and made it easier for me to understand how I should think when building my army.

After all the tips from you I think I will buy the Start Collecting Edition after the Codex is out, and maybe (if I have the money) add one heavy weapon team with a heavy bolter (I dont know why but I god damn love heavy bolters) and maybe 2 mortars. Right now I am also bidding on a 15€ Cadian Command Squad on ebay( dont know if it will work out, but I thought a Command Squad is always usefull).

What I wondered about was what the use of the Cadian Autocannon is, because what I think right now is:

Rocket Launcher --> Anti-Vehicle

Big Lasgun --> Anti-Vehicle/Tank

Heavy Bolter--> Anti-Infantry

So for which kind of enemy is the Autocannon any good? Aircrafts?

And if I put a medic in my Command Squad, can he heal my troops? Or is it just for the looks?

Anyways, appreciate your efford guys and the warm welcome you give total noobs like me on this forum :biggrin.:

EDIT: I dont know how I feel about Forgeworld miniatures, their surface looks kinda ruff and unsmooth, maybe because of the resin that is used. I think I will sometimes get a fixed Medusa gun, just dont know if I would need an extra vehicle to transport it, but I like the big shells it's shooting, looks like a lot of boom :D.

Anyways, the price is my biggest concern when looking at FW :P

Emperor protects

Edited by Marius Septimus

Autocannons used to be the guard standby. They're a powerful midrange weapon that offers better range than the Heavy Bolter, more damage than the Heavy Bolter, and a higher Strength than the Heavy Bolter. However right now at double the cost, it's not really worth it. Rolewise it is designed to do well against heavy infantry like Terminators, though right now it's a little lackluster with the AP-1. I've only used aircraft mounted autocannons in this edition as I personally can't justify a 15pt weapon over an 8pt weapon if all I'm getting for it is 1 more point of damage and 2 more points of strength for less shots. 

Autocannons are for light/medium vehicles, monsters and elite infantry. Though they are a good all round weapon if you don't know what you'll be facing.

The medic can return models to the field and heal infantry, only on a 4+ though and only one per turn

Autocannons used to be the guard standby. They're a powerful midrange weapon that offers better range than the Heavy Bolter, more damage than the Heavy Bolter, and a higher Strength than the Heavy Bolter. However right now at double the cost, it's not really worth it. Rolewise it is designed to do well against heavy infantry like Terminators, though right now it's a little lackluster with the AP-1. I've only used aircraft mounted autocannons in this edition as I personally can't justify a 15pt weapon over an 8pt weapon if all I'm getting for it is 1 more point of damage and 2 more points of strength for less shots. 

Oh that makes sense..So heavy bolters arent that good I see?

Heavy Bolters are fantastic for their current cost. S5 makes them reliable against most troop choices. AP-1 is good enough to make shooting MEQ a coinflip on the armor save. 3 shots helps counteract the Guard's poor BS.

Edited by Tirak

Autocannons are for light/medium vehicles, monsters and elite infantry. Though they are a good all round weapon if you don't know what you'll be facing.

The medic can return models to the field and heal infantry, only on a 4+ though and only one per turn

Alright then thats one Autocannon in my heavy weapon squad, just because I like flexibility when I am playing strategy games, and so all round weapons are my thing.

Also the medic has then a safe spot in my command squad :D

Heavy Bolters are fantastic for their current cost. S5 makes them reliable against most troop choices. AP-1 is good enough to make shooting MEQ a coinflip on the armor save. 3 shots helps counteract the Guard's poor BS.

Thats a relief then :) I just like the awesomnes of heavy bolters, dont know why ^^

Guardsmen. :cool.:

Unless you're fielding an armored company, it's all about boots on the ground. The 'Start Collecting' boxed set, two boxes of Guardsmen and a basilisk will bring you pretty close to 500 points from memory. Unfortunately, given the low point to model ratio, the Guard are an expensive force to collect.

No such thing as an easy or difficult army to paint. There will be a standard that you paint to - if you practice and try to improve your skills, they probably will and so your standard will go up. 

In time.

Depends on the scheme you use. I did up these guys a few days ago as test minis for a new IG army:

nVK2BjS.jpg

I use Vallejo paints - the figure on the left uses the following:

Fatigues - VMA Hemp / Nuln Oil Wash 

Armour / Weapon - VMC Dark Sea Grey / Nuln Oil Wash 

Face - VMA Flesh Tone / Riekland Flesh Wash 

Other - VMC Black / VMC Flat Red / VMC White

That's six Vallejo Paints and two GW Shades. Highlights were done by mixing paints. You'd only need to add a few more paints to that list to cover most of an army.

I use a trio of Heavy Bolter Teams in a squad to protect my mortars.

Autocannons used to be a great thing to put in a veteran squad with the forward sentries doctrine along with a trio of sniper rifles, good harassment unit. Now that vets are useless (until the codex fixes that), that's no longer the case. 

Heavy bolters are good this edition.

With heavy weapons, Id consider not gluing them until youve decided how you want to proceed. Luckily, you can just push them them together without using glue and itll hold reasonably well (at least for a couple of games). That goes for lascannons, HB and autocannons anyway, missile launchers and mortars dont need the tripod (so you can actually get up to 3 heavy weapons per team, if youve got some extra soldiers to man the guns)