Brother_B's Admech project

brother_b

How did you produce that nice dark bronze colour? Are those GW paints? I really like the contrast between the armour and the bright glowing parts. My Adeptus Mechanicus are too saturated to get a contrast like that.

I used GW paints. I'll look them up when I get home and post it up. Thanks!

You're making me very angry as that Skitarii scheme is like the one I was going to do and it looks awesome :tongue.:

Thank you man. Join the club of bad ass bronze skitarii!

Okay, the dark bronze/brass color is:

Screaming Bell, Fleshshade, Hashut copper, Sycorax bronze.

I drybrushed over a black base coat with screaming bell. I then shaded the whole miniature. I then drybrushed hashut copper, followed by a more directed drybrush of sycorax bronze on the most raised/expposed parts of the miniature.

I then would go and pick out some of the most prominent features with a touch of sycorax bronze.

And here's my first completed vanguard squad with a Techpriest Engineseer HQ.

Vanguard Leader:

med_gallery_101149_13675_349954.jpg

Arc rifle:

med_gallery_101149_13675_21725.jpg

Tarxus, Arch-excavator and Technoarchaeologist of Stygies VIII

med_gallery_101149_13675_65221.jpg

The whole crew:

med_gallery_101149_13675_297570.jpg

I have 2 plasma Calivers, and 3 more vanguard with rad rifles to complete a 10-man squad in the works.

After that, I'll probably dedicate some time to finish the building of my first Onager, as well as two 5 man squads of vanguard. Then, I'll look into building and painting my Dominus.

Cheers!

Come on man, you've even got Red Arc weapons! God dang it this is my old scheme.

Happy to know the recipe for the bronze though, looks cool as.

Haha, I take it more as great minds think alike!

I really wanted to try and get a pulsing effect on the arc weapon, with a lighter "pulse" of energy moving up the coils. I didn't achieve that, but I'm thinking a white coil, glazed, may pull it off.

I really wanted to try and get a pulsing effect on the arc weapon, with a lighter "pulse" of energy moving up the coils. I didn't achieve that, but I'm thinking a white coil, glazed, may pull it off.

I can see the pulsing effect on the Arc Rifle. It's lighter in the front half of the battery and quite a bit darker towards the rear. That's pretty much what I tried to do with my Plasma weapons.

Normally I really don't like dry brushing. Don't get me wrong, it has it's place and I completely understand why people use the technique, but I personally dislike the finish it gives many times. In this case however, it's perfect, adding a subtle pitted and aged effect to the bronze that makes it look very authentic. Wonderful! Keep it up, and thanks for confirming that green Rad Carbines look excellent. :)

Normally I really don't like dry brushing. Don't get me wrong, it has it's place and I completely understand why people use the technique, but I personally dislike the finish it gives many times. In this case however, it's perfect, adding a subtle pitted and aged effect to the bronze that makes it look very authentic. Wonderful! Keep it up, and thanks for confirming that green Rad Carbines look excellent. :smile.:

This is really the first time I've tried it as the main way of painting a miniature. It has been fairly simple, and I can still pick things out and add "painted" parts to the miniature as needed. I'm a little bit torn on how I should paint my Onager.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, played my first points game of 40K 8th and decided to add in a patrol contingent of Adeptus Mechanicus to my main army, the Blood Angels, Sons of Sanguinius. We just started a campaign, and this game was to test drive some stuff, and have some fun. After our introductory mission we played a 1500 point game, Black Templars and Blood Angels against Khorne/Nurgle, an invasion of a 3-planet system.

My patrol was a Neutronager (WIP), Techpriest Engineseer, and 10 man squad of Skitarii Vanguard (2 plasma, 1 arc rifle).

My neutronager had potential, but really the twin stubbers did more work on account of my poor rolling for shots and wounds. I think two of these bad boys will be the bare minimum. It was nice rolling that D6 for damage, and the worst I would roll to wound was 3+ during the game.

The Vanguard were amazing, their rad carbines decimated the remains of a suqad of blood letters, and their plasma/arc rifle did a surprising number on a wounded maulerfiend, taking it out of action (arc rifle d3 against vehicles was a pleasant surprise, I forgot about that).

All in all, a great battle and a really fun little patrol. In the narrative portion it works out as well, as there is a forge world in the system.

Stygies VIII held the middle, who knows what xenotech they were really after, but their guns were welcome vs. the ruinous powers!

med_gallery_101149_13675_105657.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My patrol is now gaining some heavy support in the form of a nuetronager. I still need to finish those two dang vanguard and I'll have a fully painted patrol.

Now, I've bought a lot of goodies for my admech, but for my sanity the Brother B forgeworld works at a slow pace. I've decided that I'm going to finish one squad before moving onto something else. For instance, I'm finishing up a squad of BA intercessors before moving on. I'll then probably move on to finishing my BA scout squad (2 more models to go), my SG (3 more models to go), and finally a tac squad (4 more models to go).

In the mean time, I'm going to have to fit in the vanguard. I'll probably do that first before moving back to the Blood Angels.

Now, the real question is what to build for Admech when I'm done, since this is the admech blog. I'm thinking of two more squads of troops to fill out the mandatory 3 for the brigade (batllaion? The smaller one). I'm probably going to do two 5 man squads of rangers.

After that, we'll just have to see. I'm thinking Tech Priest Dominus and a couple of robots. Yeah. Robots.

Anyway, cheers! The forgeworld lumbers on... All I need to do is add a transfer or two, and my buddy the transfer master is going to help me with that.

med_gallery_101149_13675_269305.jpg

med_gallery_101149_13675_450073.jpg

Well you've got quite the amazing admech army there my friend. Very nice. How have they done on the battlefield?

Thanks much, it was a real labor of love for the new models and spurred on by ETL that year (miss those so much).  I honestly only played a few games with them in 7th before the swap to 8th and haven't come back since then (been focusing on the IG), though I've heard mixed results.  There's still a lot of folks pining for Fires of Cyraxus (sic) and a lot of rumbling about the possible IK expansion, so I'm sort of holding out on buying anything new for AdMech at the time.

But I do still love the models and theme, and I'm super glad to see new armies hitting the table. If you're looking for specific gameplay tips, though, try messaging some of the more active AdMech players around this forum.  Good luck with the new army! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the last two of my vanguard. I now have a full 10-man (machine?) squad. I've adorned one of them with a kill marking as the squad defeated a maulerfiend the one and only time I've run my admech patrol.

Next up? Hard decision. Probably build their counterpart in the form of either 1 x 10 man squad of rangers or 2 x 5 man squads.

Decisions, decisions. Yes, those are two separate data smiths in the background. Bots incoming as soon as I get the requisite members built for a battalion (that's the +3 cp army right?).

med_gallery_101149_13675_287516.jpg

Oh! I almost forgot. Here is my finished Neutronager for a fully painted patrol!

med_gallery_101149_13675_141834.jpg

Edited by brother_b