Devastation of Baal - Guy Haley - Discussion/Spoilers

Sun Reaver

I'm weak and am looking at the end because there's some stuff I'm really curious about.

The Primaris marines do appear to be completely free of both the Red Thirst and the Black Rage- Gabriel Seth is very unhappy about this and about Guilliman.

Most of the main characters seem to have survived. Dante, Corbulo, Mephiston and Astorath are mentioned explicitly, as are captains Borgio, Karlen, Aphael, Phaeton, Machhiavai and Sendini. Dante thinks roughly 300 of the Blood Angels chapter survive overall. The successors fare even worse- 8 or 9 are wiped out entirely, with many others having only a handful of survivors.

A single Sanguinary Guard survives, named Caraeus. It's mentioned that he will become the Exalted Herald of Sanguinius. New unit for the codex?

It takes Guilliman about 70 years to reach Baal with his crusade, meaning the Blood Angels lost quite a bit of time due to that warp storm.

Dante is named as the Warden of Imperium Nihulus, commander of the Imperium north of the Great Rift.

It was never this hard for me to decide whether I want to click on the spoiler tag or not...

I feel you. I think I need to stop reading this thread. I'll be reading the book soon and I don't want to ruin anything.

Have you read the book yet lol? Something drastic just happened!

I haven't and I probably won't based on the info that's leaking, I don't have enough disposable income to speculatively spend it on something that isn't sounding great.

When I say something drastic I mean

Primaris showing evidence of suffering from the Red Thirst and Black Rage or something else that makes them as bloodthirsty as real Sons of Sanguinius

I managed to get a game of 40k in today so I'm only about halfway through the book but just from what I've seen so far this is probably my favorite 40k book. For as long as we've been around Blood Angels have had relatively little actual characterization. As I read through the book I'm repeatedly struck by how much depth Guy Haley is able to add to not just the Blood Angels but many of the successors as well.

This book is making me a lot less worried about our codex than I had been because this book finally makes me feel like GW actually understands what they want us to be. More than this, it feels like Guy Haley actually cares about our fluff. I really hope he continues to be the one that writes our novels- and there will be more because it looks to me like the end is setting us up to be major players in the plot moving forward.

There was a Guy Halley interview on the BOLS podcast. The dude is a gamer first, writer second. He really seems to respect the BA and their place in the lore of 40K.

I'll pick the book up, I've only read BA short stories, and just recently picked up Mephiston.

Can you link it? I don't usually listen to their podcast but that sounds like it would be worth paying attention to

There was a Guy Halley interview on the BOLS podcast. The dude is a gamer first, writer second. He really seems to respect the BA and their place in the lore of 40K.

I'll pick the book up, I've only read BA short stories, and just recently picked up Mephiston.

Can you link it? I don't usually listen to their podcast but that sounds like it would be worth paying attention to

http://forgethenarrative.net/podcast/ftn-episode-213-8th-edition-tyranid-codex-review-part-1/

That should work.

I just finished the book and it remains excellent throughout. I highly, highly recommend it for anybody that would be reading this.

Here are some of my thoughts in no particular order: (Sorry, I didn't catch anything major about the Blood Drinkers, but they did show up a few times)

-Mephiston stops Ka'banda from hitting Baal itself, otherwise we probably would have seen Signus Prime II- Oh Crap There's No Primarch To Save Us

-Knights of blood gave into the red thirst completely to the point of taking on physical changes
       -Sentor Jool (chapter master) resists Ka'banda trying to turn him to Khorne, dies in single combat to the demon 
       -Garbriel Seth refers to their loss as "A clean end for a corrupted bloodline"
-How literally are we supposed to take that scene with Sanguinius?

-Mephiston desperately needs some better rules. He's consistenlty terrifyingly powerful in the fluff.
-Super happy with the scene where Dante meets Guilliamn for the first time. Dante is barely able to walk and falls to his knees in shock when he sees the primarch. Guilliman responds "Get up, Dante. I will not accept displays of humility from a man like you. You are one of the few in this era who have earned the right to speak with me on equal terms. Rise."

-Guilliman also tells Dante that there were barely any Tyranid survivors when the Indomitus crusade arrived. Taken with the fact that the Khorne demons didn't really do a whole lot we can say that the Blood Angels were very close to winning by themselves. The great rift opening definitely helped a lot but at the end of the day it wasn't some dumb deus ex machina.

-Gabriel Seth on the Primaris Marines "He would make us all Ultramarines in red armor." Seem a bit... on the nose.

I expect we'll be seeing new units in our codex. There was a lot of attention drawn to specific titles and even more attention to the whole Tower of Amareo deal.
-Exalted Herald of Sanguinius - Souped up Sanguinary Guard
-Maskless Dante in his new role as Warden of Imperium Nihilus
-Custodian of the Damned- Watches over the tower of Amareo
-The Damned- Blood Angels who have given into the red thirst even worse than the Knights of Blood. Feral vampires, basically

Edited by Pendent

I just finished the book and it remains excellent throughout. I highly, highly recommend it for anybody that would be reading this.

Here are some of my thoughts in no particular order: (Sorry, I didn't catch anything major about the Blood Drinkers, but they did show up a few times)

-Mephiston stops Ka'banda from hitting Baal itself, otherwise we probably would have seen Signus Prime II- Oh Crap There's No Primarch To Save Us

-Knights of blood gave into the red thirst completely to the point of taking on physical changes

-Sentor Jool (chapter master) resists Ka'banda trying to turn him to Khorne, dies in single combat to the demon

-Mephiston desperately needs some better rules. He's consistenlty terrifyingly powerful in the fluff.

-Super happy with the scene where Dante meets Guilliamn for the first time. Dante is barely able to walk and falls to his knees in shock when he sees the primarch. Guilliman responds "Get up, Dante. I will not accept displays of humility from a man like you. You are one of the few in this era who have earned the right to speak with me on equal terms. Rise."

-Guilliman also tells Dante that there were barely any Tyranid survivors when the Indomitus crusade arrived. Taken with the fact that the Khorne demons didn't really do a whole lot we can say that the Blood Angels were very close to winning by themselves. The great rift opening definitely helped a lot but at the end of the day it wasn't some dumb deus ex machina.

-Gabriel Seth on the Primaris Marines "He would make us all Ultramarines in red armor." Seem a bit... on the nose.

I expect we'll be seeing new units in our codex. There was a lot of attention drawn to specific titles and even more attention to the whole Tower of Amareo deal.

-The Damned- Blood Angels who have given into the red thirst even worse than the Knights of Blood. Feral vampires, basically

Thanks for sharing!

any cool stuff from the Sanguinor?
Edited by Brother Lemartes

Thanks for sharing!

[any cool stuff from the Sanguinor?]

The Sanguinor was apparently busy with the stuff for Angels Blade at the time.

Woa, awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing.

The scene between Dante and Guilliman is quite cool.

Also, if what you said truly results in new models, I will do something drastic...

Guy Haley did a wonderfull work on Dante, and as the spoilers point out, he did it again on Devastation of Baal.

In the end, the only thing that i may regret about this book, is the fact that the physical version is just a Paperback one. Clearly, it would have deserved a Hardback version and maybe even a collector version. (I regreted not picking Dante limited/collector version...).

Well, i will have to wait before getting my hand on the physical version.

(Also, for the "Bend the knee" scene, if it is like you spoil, it is perfect, truly Guy Haley made it the right way.)

“Mark of Baal” goes to Pendent. Well done, brother.

I wasn’t sure whether to get this book. Now I will. Call me a wimp, but I just can’t take any more butchering of the BA. Your clues seem to suggest this is something we can be proud of, rather than fearful of.

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hope Dante and Mephiston get rules fitting their fluff. Since, what, 2nd Ed Mephiston was supposed to be pretty much the most powerful psyker in the Imperium? Not to mention him overcoming the Black Rage through sheer will. Really should be a Daemon Prince statwise.

And Dante...well, Guilliman’s quote to him says it all. As Frater Antodeniel has pointed out before...he has more years of ass-kicking experience than Robby G! Guilliman was around for the Hreat Crusade/HH for maybe 500, then in stasis, and then he Indomnitus for maybe 100. Dante has been running out of chewing gum for 1500 years straight, including at least half of that as a Chapter Master. So that right there should put him at as-good-as-non-Primarch-can-get statline...and then with the whole that-which-does-not-kill-you-only-makes-you-stronger thing post-Leviathan, and becoming Warden....I sure hope his stats do him justice.

TL; DR: after reading these spoilers, I hope Dante + Mephiston become our pseudo-Primarch equivalents.

Sorry for the delay but as promised, as I read the chapters, I will summarize them for those who have not gotten the chance to pick up the book or can’t. As a side note, it has been really hard to not click on these spoilers tags lol.

Also low key upset that the new successor chapter introduced in chapter 3 is extremely similar in name and color scheme to my home brew in the Liber .....

Chapter 3 - Eaters of the Dead

Second Captain Erwin of the Angels Excelsis is sitting on the command throne of his ship, The Splendid Pinion. He is joined by a plethora of chapter serfs and Sergeant Achemen. The command throne is set much higher than the rest of the human crew and the captain muses that it should be as they are beneath marines. The Captain is in troubled spirits as he is forced on an alternate and slow path to Baal, scouting the surrounding systems for signs of life or the enemy. At the head of the bridge, which is 400 feet across and filled with pieces of art and computer screens, sits a mural depicting the origins of this chapters. 300 marines, the founders of this chapter, stand in white and red armor. It depicted the first Angels Excelsis in battle and the captain knew each and everyone of their names. The mural is so detailed that every single detail on their armor and weapons is depicted, even their name scrolls. Most of them had died within year as their first mission had been a difficult one. A serf named the Servile of Response lets the captain know that they haven’t picked up any life signs again and the planet they’ve just come across is devoid off all life - a barren rock. Erwin is annoyed as he can see that for himself and thinks about how low these humans are compared to space marines and how their frailty irks him. Achemen mentions that they should head for Baal as the Chapter Master would want them there by now. Erwin says no as the ship must complete their full duty of scouting the entire system before departing and that Chapter Master Follordark would not be happy if they didn’t complete the mission. As they are inspecting the planet, Erwin notes that even the metal was gone. Then a discussion takes place regarding how the Tyranids are being sloppy with their work. They used to be more thorough and now they don’t even harvest the crust, they just grab the essential minerals and then leave. As Erwin and the Servile of Respoonse are discussing, the serf disagrees with the captain at one point in regards to the nature of Tyranids. The captain asks why and the Servile responds with a witty comment regarding that he got the job because of his boldness. The captain laughs and appreciates the joke but them immediately threatens to kill the serf should he ever disagree again. Erwin then thinks on the process of how the serfs are selected for duty but then dismisses the idea because he doesn’t really care. That job is for the Master of the Household - a position held by a captain who can no longer fight in battle. It has been this way since the 36th millennium when the chapter was founded. Then, they see some Tyranid scavenger ships amongst some depress. The Captain wants to engage and kill them but Sergeant Achemen says that it might be a trap and that they should leave. Erwin acknowledges that and says they will keep distance but realizes the missles will take 18 minutes to hit their target. He moves closer despite his sergeant’s warnings until the missles will only take 7-8 minutes to hit. As the scavenge ships are being destroyed, a small pod closes in on the ship. It pierces the void shield carefully by creating a tiny hole and then slowly attaches itself to the ship. As the Angels Excelsis plan to depart the system - the inhabitant inside, a lictor, plans its next moves.

“Mark of Baal” goes to Pendent. Well done, brother.

I wasn’t sure whether to get this book. Now I will. Call me a wimp, but I just can’t take any more butchering of the BA. Your clues seem to suggest this is something we can be proud of, rather than fearful of.

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hope Dante and Mephiston get rules fitting their fluff. Since, what, 2nd Ed Mephiston was supposed to be pretty much the most powerful psyker in the Imperium? Not to mention him overcoming the Black Rage through sheer will. Really should be a Daemon Prince statwise.

And Dante...well, Guilliman’s quote to him says it all. As Frater Antodeniel has pointed out before...he has more years of ass-kicking experience than Robby G! Guilliman was around for the Hreat Crusade/HH for maybe 500, then in stasis, and then he Indomnitus for maybe 100. Dante has been running out of chewing gum for 1500 years straight, including at least half of that as a Chapter Master. So that right there should put him at as-good-as-non-Primarch-can-get statline...and then with the whole that-which-does-not-kill-you-only-makes-you-stronger thing post-Leviathan, and becoming Warden....I sure hope his stats do him justice.

TL; DR: after reading these spoilers, I hope Dante + Mephiston become our pseudo-Primarch equivalents.

I don't think this is a spoiler but..

Mephiston may not be the MOST powerful but he seems to be the most focused. He seems to be able to do things others can't on willpower alone. Which is fitting considering he has overcome the black rage. He also can peer into the the Tyranids mind, again through sheer willpower. I would definitely rank him as one of the top 10 psykers maybe even top 5.

Edit: As a sidenote now that you mention it RG really doesn't have that much combat experience compared to more than a few SMs now. Dante, Logan Grimnar, Ulrik, Bjorn, and maybe Cypher and Lysander? Then you have all the traitor brethren like Khârn. I really wonder how many SM have more combat experience now...

2nd edit: I find it amusing the Google Pixel has some 40k names in it's dictionary out of the box...

Edited by Caldersson

If I recall correctly Mephiston is only the third most powerful human/marine psyker compared with Ahriman and Tigurius, however at that level it doesn't really matter anymore. All three are monsters and could wipe armies on their own. Tho Mephiston has his physical strength thanks to the Black Rage going for him which the others don't have so there's that....and whatever it is we've learned about in the new Mephiston novel. ^^

There's a thread comparing those three somewhere here on B&C too I think.

So in order to get these out more regularly, I will be going into less detail but still will ensure the major points are covered. Truthfully, I haven’t been able to put the book down - I kind of read a bunch of chapters at once lol.

Chapter 4: A greater darkness

At the Diurnal Vault, the dread library of the BA where the most wondrous and terrible artifacts are kept in temporal prisons, a star is enslaved in order to power the fortress monastery. The star is housed in the chest of a statue of Sanguinius - one that rivals the statue at Angel’s fall. The deepest chamber is called the Sepulcrum Maleficus, known to only the highest members of the chapter. It is Mephiston’s chambers. He is sleeping in a coffin made of marble around the dead bodies of all the previous Chief Librarians of the chapter. Their coffins make sure fresh blood is pumped into their bodies so they don’t decay - its so Mephiston can commune with their spirits if necessary. Mephiston has a dream of the Fall of Cadia. He sees hundreds of thousands of traitor legionnaires and daemons assualting Cadia. He sees his brothers fighting there. It doesn’t look good at all. He sees pivotal figures in the batttle - a black templars Marshall, a giant tech priest (Cawl), etc. Time blinks and then he sees the SW fighting daemons in the snow. He then sees Cadians fighting alongside Necrons. Daemons sense him and he swats them away. He then hears a voice that screams “Doom!” He is actually almost killed by a blast but saved by a Harlequin that greets him as the lord of death. The eldar wasn’t in the vision, but impinging on it. The eldars says it brings tidings and then he is transported to the realm of Khorne - he is shielded from detection. He sees an army of red khorne daemons fighting an army of black ones. The Eldar points him to one in particular and he recognizes it as Ka’Banda. The eldar insists Mephiston must “go on and see” when the lord of deaths asks why. He then sees an angel come from the sky like a comet. His outline is covered in heart distortion and his sword burned (RG probably). He then wakes up in a rage and alarms start ringing. His equerry Rhacelus comes with a guard to kill him in case he has been possessed but Mephiston reassures them. Mephiston tells his equerry that he dreamed to which Rhacelus comments is impossible as he has never dreamed before. Mephiston mentions he saw something about Diamor too and the two use their powers to see what has befallen their brothers there. They see a massive shadow in the warp. They see the first, seconds, and seventh companies in their ships and are able to sense Asamael, a librarian with them. They conclude something terrible must have befallen the task force and Mephiston immediately seeks out Dante to tell him what he has seen. He leaves out the part about Ka’Banda as he believes it is for Dante’s ears only.
Edited by Sun Reaver

I don't think this is a spoiler but..

Mephiston may not be the MOST powerful but he seems to be the most focused. He seems to be able to do things others can't on willpower alone. Which is fitting considering he has overcome the black rage. He also can peer into the the Tyranids mind, again through sheer willpower. I would definitely rank him as one of the top 10 psykers maybe even top 5.

Edit: As a sidenote now that you mention it RG really doesn't have that much combat experience compared to more than a few SMs now. Dante, Logan Grimnar, Ulrik, Bjorn, and maybe Cypher and Lysander? Then you have all the traitor brethren like Khârn. I really wonder how many SM have more combat experience now...

I am not trying to pump up Mephiston for “my dudes” purposes, but rather because fluff has depictedthag since early on. He’s supposed to be at least top 3 in the Imperium (Ahriman and Chaos I would put in a different category), probably top 2. I have no problem with others being good too, or more specialized, but it’s great to hear that Mephiston is (finally) getting his due.

It’s like a team having one of the greatest goalies of all time...nothing wrong with other teams having great goalies as well, but a little recognition goes a long way.

@ Sun Reaver :

Great work!

If I recall correctly Mephiston is only the third most powerful human/marine psyker compared with Ahriman and Tigurius, however at that level it doesn't really matter anymore. All three are monsters and could wipe armies on their own. Tho Mephiston has his physical strength thanks to the Black Rage going for him which the others don't have so there's that....and whatever it is we've learned about in the new Mephiston novel. ^^

An outrageous suggestion :biggrin.:

I've always considered it a non-comparison, tbh - Ahriman is a full-on Sorcerer, Tiggy is a 'merely' a very powerful librarian, while Meph is... something else entirely.

There's been a lot of work in 'recent' fluff developing this - wreathed in black flame, travelling unaided through the warp, multiple souls, his Devastation of Baal exploits etc. I'm also sure there's a moment - I can't find the source book for the life of me - where he's popping Zoanthrope heads and ends up briefly staring down the full attention of the hive mind (he blacks out), which I half suspect they included just to inflame the Meph vs Tiggy arguments.

I guess, I'm terrified that when we get a new Mephiston model he'll be floating around on an Yncarne-esque swirl of warp vampire bats, or something similarly idiotic.

I doubt they'd do bats, fortunately, given we've never been associated with that part of the vampire mythos, but I could certainly see him having some exsanguinated bodies on his base, with the blood spiraling around him. I'm more hoping, if they must do something like that, for just some plain psychic fire.

I doubt they'd do bats, fortunately, given we've never been associated with that part of the vampire mythos, but I could certainly see him having some exsanguinated bodies on his base, with the blood spiraling around him. I'm more hoping, if they must do something like that, for just some plain psychic fire.

Agreed.

No, you must meet the same fate as the SWs. Since the Sanguinary Guard is gone you have the Bat Guard. Your new chapter tactic is the "Fangs of the Bat". Your will also have a new flying unit called "Bat Riders". Unique fast attack "Swarm of Bat's". Red Thirst and Black Rage are cured but a new Gene problem arises in the Primaris where they turn in Bat people similar to Vampires.

...and I think i just became public enemy #1 for the BA.

Edited by Caldersson

No, you must meet the same fate as the SWs. Since the Sanguinary Guard is gone you have the Bat Guard. Your new chapter tactic is the "Fangs of the Bat". Your will also have a new flying unit called "Bat Riders". Unique fast attack "Swarm of Bat's". Red Thirst and Black Rage are cured but a new Gene problem arises in the Primaris where they turn in Bat people similar to Vampires.

LMAO.

Wolf your wolfy hide ya sly wolfie wolf wolfer...

I could see GW considering it but deciding not too only because they would then have to do someting else with the Night Lord helmets. =)

In all seriousness I doubt we could handle that.

The Space Wolves have broader shoulders and more intestinal fortitude than we for certain.

I am out of likes today so salute to you my man.

...with Dante now no longer having a jump pack, but rather a swarm of bats tied to strings like balloons, connected to his backpack? Edited by Lord_Caerolion