Get Ready For Chapter Approved

Most of what has been shown so far is huge buffs to Primaris Marines and Death Guard, and small to massive nerfs to everything else, plus a very mixed bag of additions for armies without codices. Does anyone else get the impression that GW intended for the two new armies to completely dominate the game, and is now swinging a huge hammer trying to make it so?

The sky isn't falling in just yet. As a tau player I'm happy to see the lone alleged strategem. If they knock some points down I'll be very happy! (Assuming the y'vahra will increase mind)

I'm really glad that Imperial Armour is in it. The Guard 'dex really blew away the FW sicarans and fell-chassis with the new Russ and bane-chassis. I'm glad they may become worth considering outside of just collecting them.

So glad GW and FW are stepping up their game making sure both release proper FAQs and support for their stuff at the same time and not the usual FW taking ages to catch up. Just wish GW could take over a lot of the FW stuff like Renegades, Death corps, corsairs or the badab chapters giving them proper releases instead of the miserable support FW have been treating them with. Wonder what other changes are made to the FW stuff should be well worth the price

So glad GW and FW are stepping up their game making sure both release proper FAQs and support for their stuff at the same time and not the usual FW taking ages to catch up. Just wish GW could take over a lot of the FW stuff like Renegades, Death corps, corsairs or the badab chapters giving them proper releases instead of the miserable support FW have been treating them with. Wonder what other changes are made to the FW stuff should be well worth the price

Death corps made by GW and in plastic would be awesome. I'd love to ally them with my Blood Angels! :D

Most of what has been shown so far is huge buffs to Primaris Marines and Death Guard, and small to massive nerfs to everything else, plus a very mixed bag of additions for armies without codices. Does anyone else get the impression that GW intended for the two new armies to completely dominate the game, and is now swinging a huge hammer trying to make it so?

The sky isn't falling in just yet. As a tau player I'm happy to see the lone alleged strategem. If they knock some points down I'll be very happy! (Assuming the y'vahra will increase mind)

Primaris was garbage tier; their best build was about on par with riptide spam Tau. DG aren't great either. Mortarion is 90% of a 2000 point DGs offensive power.

Primaris was garbage tier; their best build was about on par with riptide spam Tau. DG aren't great either. Mortarion is 90% of a 2000 point DGs offensive power.

That was my point. I don't really think that GW intended for the two starter armies with all new model lines to be laughably terrible (outside of Mortarion). Hence the buffs to them and nerfs to everything else with a codex.

Of course, there may be buffs to other stuff that is currently awful (half the ad-mech codex for example) but unless I've missed something they haven't been seen yet, and considering the extensive information on other things, that doesn't bode well for that possibility.

That was my point. I don't really think that GW intended for the two starter armies with all new model lines to be laughably terrible (outside of Mortarion). Hence the buffs to them and nerfs to everything else with a codex.

Of course, there may be buffs to other stuff that is currently awful (half the ad-mech codex for example) but unless I've missed something they haven't been seen yet, and considering the extensive information on other things, that doesn't bode well for that possibility.

That's a very pessimistic way to see things tho. Buffing weak things and nerving strong things is what balacing is all about. It doesn't automatically mean the former weak things are supposed to stomp on the former strong things.

It's a rumor/leak, so taken with a grain of salt, but am I to infer that the couple of CSM changes listed are it? Or (hopefully) more likely that's all the author noticed?

I dare say it's only part of it. ^^

(For what it's worth, Primaris aren't currently a new army. They're some new units in an existing army.)

So as I understand it, GW's plan is to tweak, balance, and update the game every year with Chapter Approved. There's an aspect of this I haven't seen discussed, and I'm wondering if it's come up elsewhere, or if there's been a meaningful precedent set with the General's Handbook.

Will updates that remain unchanged from previous Chapter Approveds be reprinted in the most recent volume? I'm not as concerned about carrying 3 or 4 volumes of Chapter Approved with me to the game as I am about flipping through all of them trying to find the most recent version of a rule. Alternatively, if everything carries over to the next year's book, how big is this mandatory yearly purchase going to get?

I'm not crying doom. Maybe they have a plan, and if so,

maybe it's good. Lots can happen in that time; in 4 years the whole thing may be reset and maybe we'll be looking at 9th ed. I'm just thinking about possible complications and wondering if they've been discussed.

Will updates that remain unchanged from previous Chapter Approveds be reprinted in the most recent volume?

The second general's handbook made the first entirely obsolete apart from the missions. Legacy points were missing from the 2017 version but they got released for free online instead.

I don't see how a knight player could ever want to play a game where there is IG and tyranids in the meta the way they are now, and that a pregame random roll could remove their invs. The spread between something "cool" [like suddenly turning in to a psyker] and the no inv thing, seems huge.

I don't see how a knight player could ever want to play a game where there is IG and tyranids in the meta the way they are now, and that a pregame random roll could remove their invs. The spread between something "cool" [like suddenly turning in to a psyker] and the no inv thing, seems huge.

It's a battlezone. Something you apply only to very specific narratives, not something to be used in every standard game.

This isn't for normal games dude. Read the article.

Well it was the complete opposite last edition with IG or Nids so outmatched it wasn't funny so not really an issue that a full super heavy like knights can't curbstomp a previous weaker faction any more

Your also forgetting the random rolls are completely optional