Knightsword's WIP Thread - Brutalis / Murderfang page 9

Knightsword

Nice conversion - that's a very chunky crozius they've got :smile: 

All the better to purge heretics with :laugh: pretty sure it's from the Betrayal at Calth box which means it would normally be on a little Mk3 marine which would make it look even bigger!

This is such a fun army. I love the conversions 

Thanks. I need to get a newer photo of everyone together in my actual army list. Got a load of bits coming soon to make a Repulsor Land Raider :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

As is standard by now, I have gotten distracted with yet another idea. This time a count-as Murderfang made from a Brutalis. I wanted something unique and thought that arm blades would look really cool on a dreadnought. I have made a lot of progress painting the Thunderwolf Cavalry unit though and will post more of them soon.

Now admittedly this hasn't worked out as I'd initially planned. I didn't realise the "knuckles" on the fists stuck out so much which has meant I had to fit the bolter wrist parts in order to mount the blades so that they can reach over the knuckles. This has meant that they're protruding vertically from the wrist more than I'd like them to be. I'm going to persevere with this as the test fit didn't actually look too bad despite all this. I've got some bits from a Bloodthirster arriving to go on the base. The left hand will be holding the Bloodthirster's severed head which is why I haven't finished assembling it yet.

Is it a known problem that the Brutalis' arms do not rotate/lock into the sockets on the chasis per the instructions? Or have I just got a dud kit in that regard?

large.murderfangwip01.jpg.4a757fcf4555d43db193ed3de746c3eb.jpglarge.murderfangwip02.jpg.c88ca8f0bc7845cf19b7b278896051f7.jpglarge.murderfangwip03.jpg.b91697f0e7b73a4d714a065adc5eb612.jpglarge.murderfangwip04B.jpg.cc94d1c7b944087df03a8a99c367b66f.jpg

It's definitely and interesting idea, and a neat conversion.

I wonder if you can make the blades and cover protrude a little less by shaving the sights off the bolters?

The sights are actually perfect for setting the cover on top of and the sword does fit neatly inbetween the sights, the problem is that doing this means the sword sits on the knuckle joint which points it up at an angle. I'd have to fully remove the knuckle which would look even weirder overall I feel. I've had a look at the wrist mounts and knuckles on the bits for the claws option too and would run into the same problem there as well, so I think this is best I'm going to get it.

I think I've nearly set a new PB with the turnaround on this chap. Just some minor details and the base to finish. Wish I could be this efficient with my backlog for this army, that said after the new points dropping my army is now 2040 so that needs some rejigging.

Going with the Arthurian theme for names and lore he's going to be named Gaheris. I'll then name my planned Bjorn count-as Guerehet (I can't bring myself to use the english version and call a dreadnought Gareth!). In Arthurian lore they're brothers so I'll have their background be that they joined the Chapter together early in its history making them the eldest serving members. 

large.murderfangwip12.jpg.6d0ca30756f2d0d8256b25ec85f5f82a.jpglarge.murderfangwip11.jpg.feddbba961cec2a2740cb7c59ad6b3fc.jpglarge.murderfangwip13.jpg.c7ec5e412658bfb65a1d5ffbb2d6dc82.jpglarge.murderfangwip14.jpg.dbba9a2fded35ca43dec4b8ba6e548c3.jpglarge.murderfangwip15.jpg.beaede12274b204ed944c9a0666b9534.jpg