• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update as it's been a while - had to take a break from hobbying while I finished my phd thesis. But I am now back with a vengeance, and got myself this magnificent beast as a reward for finishing. I have loved the fire raptor model for a long time so I'm very happy to now own one - looking forward to painting it up and flying it into battle alongside the 2nd company.

gallery_85662_13029_82161.jpg

Oh man, what a great thread, I can’t believe I missed it up until now! Very inspiring work brother, I love the subtle conversions, and that’s some solid paint you have, especially the heraldry and the wings on the flyers. And what a sweet idea, using the Brets as novice RW. At first I wasn’t sure what was going on, then I saw the bolters and it all made sense hahaha. I’m really looking forward to more!

How was the Raptor to put together? I've heard some horror stories that have so far stopped me picking one up.

I was the exact same - I put off getting one for years because of all the horror stories. But it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, and I wish I'd taken the plunge sooner.

It does require a lot of patience and hot water (to get all those warped pieces straight). But as long as you are methodical and take your time to get each step right before moving on to the next, you should be fine. There's plenty of great build tutorials out there as well that really help.

I was the exact same - I put off getting one for years because of all the horror stories. But it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, and I wish I'd taken the plunge sooner.

It does require a lot of patience and hot water (to get all those warped pieces straight). But as long as you are methodical and take your time to get each step right before moving on to the next, you should be fine. There's plenty of great build tutorials out there as well that really help.

My wife may be hunting you down soon :)

Go for it! RW are always a blast to play, and sammy and a talonmaster will do the emperor's work when played right. Remember the "only in death" stratagem for when your TM bites it as a fun little parting surprise. Good luck with your game

Will do!

I have no idea what I'm facing.  I have no mobile phone at the moment so can't pester my opponent haha!  He has Death Guard, Iron hands, Eldar, Nids and Tau...... :sweat:

Go for it! RW are always a blast to play, and sammy and a talonmaster will do the emperor's work when played right. Remember the "only in death" stratagem for when your TM bites it as a fun little parting surprise. Good luck with your game

Will do!

I have no idea what I'm facing.  I have no mobile phone at the moment so can't pester my opponent haha!  He has Death Guard, Iron hands, Eldar, Nids and Tau...... :sweat:

Forgot to reply to this. I won against an Iron Hands - Salamanders combo.  Sallies get a lot of re-rolls but in the end T5 and the presence of a Dark Shroud proved their undoing, For the Lion!

Loving what you've posted so far! I got really into the story-parts you've written, and am looking forward to seeing more! Loving the conversions, especially the Bretonnian Bolters, they made my day! Great work, man! :teehee:

Thanks heaps. I'm waiting for the weather to clear up so that I can undercoat the raptor and get stuck into it. So I hope to have more updates soon!

Will do!

Forgot to reply to this. I won against an Iron Hands - Salamanders combo.  Sallies get a lot of re-rolls but in the end T5 and the presence of a Dark Shroud proved their undoing, For the Lion!

Congratulations mate, great work!

• 5 months later...

Forgive me, Masters of the Unforgiven, for I have lapsed in my attentions to the First Legion. As my repentance, please accept these humble offerings to the Rock's armoury - converted Sammael and Talonmaster on Dawneagle jetbikes (following Brother Bish's great tutorial, with a few tweaks - I've magnetised the torsos, handlebars and jet bike weapons so I can swap them out for Custodes shield captains with ease!

Hope you enjoy:

Sammael

gallery_85662_13029_1691140.jpg

Sammael close up - the photo doesn't quite do it justice, but I'm really pleased with how the Raven Sword turned out

gallery_85662_13029_1795053.jpg

Talonmaster

gallery_85662_13029_865288.jpg

Talon master close up - again, very stoked with the sword

gallery_85662_13029_193349.jpg

are these supposed to represent the land speeders? they look awesome!

Yep! I can't claim credit for the idea (there's plenty floating around), but my twist was to use the custodes legs, and to magnetise the rider's torso and handlebars, and the assault cannons on the bottom. That way, I can actually take them off and put the custodes torso and handlebars on and use them as shield captains

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Well it certainly has been a long time between drinks on this thread! But I come bearing photos - finally finished the base and flight stand (the one it comes with was way too flimsy for such a big and fragile model) so I can post photos of my Fire Raptor. Still want to do a few more highlights and touchups, but I'm happy enough with it to call it finished for now.

I'm also chasing suggestions for a name for it. Currently thinking of Pride of the First because I'm so chuffed with the model, but I'm open to suggestions. Cheers for looking

gallery_85662_13029_1622501.jpg

gallery_85662_13029_1372077.jpg