Raven Guard Resolutions

Cordova

Mission 5

1500 points.

Modified Decapitation mission.

The Eldar had +1 cover in T1 and endless reserves for all units apart from HQ.

---

Having witnessed the Tau slip through their grasp, the Eldar pulled back - their leaders deciding that discretion was more useful. They planned to hide and assault the Tau once they had breached the Imperial city, in an attempt to claim the webway portal they believed was there.

However, the defending Imperials, after forcing the Tau back, had taken the offensive. Linking with the Space Marine forces of the Dark Eagles, they launched a counter offensive of their own. Dark Eagle scouts had located the Autarch commanding the Eldar.

Following the recommendation of Captain Algian of the Dark Eagles, the local pdf forces joined forces to eliminate one Xenos threat, before hunting down the Tau.

----

med_gallery_68825_15118_1100402.jpg

The Eldar castled up in the centre ruins, with a bonus +1 to cover. The Imperials circled around to inflict as much punishment as possible.

med_gallery_68825_15118_490496.jpg

All the combined shooting of the LRBTs and Hellblasters did 3 wounds to the Falcon. Excellent.

med_gallery_68825_15118_441560.jpg

So, in order to rectify this, the Captain and his VV charged in.

med_gallery_68825_15118_1606850.jpg

The Captain blew up the Falcon - mortal wounding the VV, the rangers in the ruins, himself and the Autarch. The VV killed the Rangers. Both then consolidated into the Autarch.

To the North, some Striking Scorpions tried to assault some Imperial Guard, but they committed some amazing overwatch and combat, killing them all.

med_gallery_68825_15118_995140.jpg

In the next turn, the Imperials closed in, hunting the last squad of rangers, and seeking to secure the centre for the inevitable counter-attack. The Autarch killed the last VV. He just wouldn't fail an invulnerable save.

med_gallery_68825_15118_410185.jpg

In the Eldar turn, the reserves came on, advancing up to the Scouts in the East. Despite all their shooting, one Sniper survived.

The Autarch finally died to the Captain, leaving him free to support units elsewhere.

med_gallery_68825_15118_344929.jpg

In the following turn, the LRBTs moved to intercept the flow of reserves, but Alaitoc kept the Eldar safe from their ranged weapons...

med_gallery_68825_15118_1211504.jpg

Then the Captain arrived. Rallying the remnants of the Scouts, they charged the Dire Avengers and Reapers.

med_gallery_68825_15118_426588.jpg

In response, the Farseer dropped back and tried to Smite and Executioner the Captain. Smite failed the roll (twice) and executioner only put one wound on him. (I hate Mortal Wounds). The Eldar tanks rapidly zoomed back to the centre, whilst in the North, the Rangers re-emerged as reinforcements.

med_gallery_68825_15118_1176149.jpg

In the next turn, the Farseer was charged by the Captain, he took 3 wounds but held on. The scouts were killed off by the Dire Avengers and Reapers.

med_gallery_68825_15118_114287.jpg

The infantry squads flooded the centre, hoping the cover saves there would help as the Eldar flyers closed in.

med_gallery_68825_15118_1058512.jpg

The Eldar unloaded their soldiers, with some jetbikes flying in to support from the far flank. Fire dragons and Dire Avengers jumped into the centre, while Rangers shot through the ruins, knocking out several Hellblasters with some ridiculously good shooting.

med_gallery_68825_15118_1202461.jpg

The Dire Avengers completely massacred this infantry squad, slaying them to a man.

med_gallery_68825_15118_1035335.jpg

Despite the close range, the Fire Dragons did not kill the Leman Russ, bringing to three wounds remaining.

The Farseer tried again to psychic the Captain, but only put out another wound, before being smashed into the ground immediately in response.

med_gallery_68825_15118_11426.jpg

In the final turn, the Scouts that had been occupying a building in the North and the northern most Infantry squad combined to cut down the Rangers that had reemerged (hooray for flamers here - 6 auto hits is fun).

The tanks killed the jetbikes and another Wave Serpent. The infantry squad that was left used FRFSRF to kill off the Dire Avengers.

The final action of the game was to see the Hellblasters and the last squad - which did, through pure chance, happen to be that of the re-occuring hero Sergeant Drew - charge the Fire Dragons.

With that, the game was over - the Eldar threat completely neutered and removed from the surface of the planet.

---

The next mission will be the final one, as the Space Marines attempt to remove the Tau threat, once and for all.

So, the final mission has been completed. It was nasty. I will, hopefully, get around to uploading it all in the next few days.

In the meantime, I have been thinking about my Dark Eagles. I have (bar varnishing, and the weather is playing merry hell with that) finished every model I had ear-marked as being a Dark Eagle.

I have also nearly completed an Eldar force, and my Imperial Guard are chuntering on as they have been for years...

So, in order to give me something different, I thought I may add some Custodes to my list...including Captain Cheese. (Largely due to one of my friends bringing some evil cheese-tastic lists...)

Anyone have any thoughts on this list idea?  I tried to keep it mostly Dark Eagle - the Custodes will basically sit on something, while Captain bike trots around.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [35 PL, 489pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 74pts]: 2x Chainsword

Lieutenant [4 PL, 60pts]: 2x Chainsword

Cheap rerolls...

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [6 PL, 65pts]
Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle
4x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 4x Sniper rifle

Scout Squad [6 PL, 55pts]
Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
4x Scout w/Boltgun

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 170pts]: Armorium Cherub
Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword
Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [60 PL, 945pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, 124pts]: Jump Pack, Storm shield, Thunder hammer

Chaplain [6 PL, 90pts]: Bolt pistol, Jump Pack

Ride with biker bro, or VV.

+ Troops +

4x Scout w/Boltgun

4x Scout w/Boltgun

4x Scout w/Boltgun

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 111pts]: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Vanguard Veteran Squad [8 PL, 145pts]: Jump Pack
Space Marine Veteran: 2x Lightning Claw
Veteran Sergeant: 2x Lightning Claw

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: Plasma incinerator
4x Hellblaster
Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [17 PL, 316pts] ++

+ HQ +

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike [9 PL, 160pts]: Auric Aquilis, Hurricane Bolter, Superior Creation, Warlord

+ Troops +

Custodian Guard Squad [8 PL, 156pts]
Custodian: Guardian Spear

Edited by Cordova

Looks good!

As far as the list goes, I think you will find a Supreme Command Detachment with 3x Shield Captain on Jetbike to be more effective than the current patrol configuration. Not only is it great on the tabletop, but its only one box to purchase to build all 3, which is great!

Should you opt to keep the patrol, I would consider getting one Storm Shield into the Custodian Guard Squad to help make them harder to shift from an objective.

I think with the points drop in Storm Shields, your Vanguard Vets could be reworked to include a couple Storm Shield/Chainsword ablative guys to help with this as well.

The binaric chanting of the Priest chattered across the vox. Coordinates and instructions ordering nearby Imperial forces to his aid.

The cold logic of the message chirped and whined on repeat, lending it an air of panic behind the mechanical precision.

Algian switched vox channel and pulsed his orders to his forces. They responded immediately. Drifting like ghosts, they moved between the ruined buildings, taking up positions like gargoyles - leering down onto their foes.

In the distance, the low electronic hum of Tau skimmers thrummed. The foe were advancing.

Final mission of the Campaign:

After all the previous results, the following caveats were in place:

Mission: The Relic

Size: 1750

Search and Destroy Deployment

- The objective was a Adeptus Mechanicus Priest. Having fled the core communication centre, thanks to the local PDF buying enough time to warn them, he is seeking sanctuary with the Imperial forces that pursue the Tau. The Tau are desperate and have committed everything to this fight.

med_gallery_68825_15118_893358.jpg

I used STFS to pull back behind the central ruin as I failed to get the first turn.

med_gallery_68825_15118_1535927.jpg

(Board at the End of T1)

The Tau moved in a pincer, the Riptide, Ghostkeel and Devilfish moved up. The Raven Guard tactic helped no end - only the Devastator Sergeant and one Aggressor died to shooting.

The Dark Eagles were far more deadly, one squad of VV moved up to get involved. Another castled up. Bikers zoomed up and the Jump Pack Librarian and Captain moved after the Ghostkeel.

Aggressors put 3W on the Ghostkeel and the bolter Captain put 2W on him. Between the Devs, Scout bikers and snipers, the drones all died and the Riptide took 3W.

In Assault, the Scout bikers failed a 6" charge...

The VV killed a few XV25s but lost 2 to overwatch. Captain Hammer killed the Ghostkeel using Honour the Chapter.

med_gallery_68825_15118_1157816.jpg

(T2)

med_gallery_68825_15118_824224.jpg

(Reinforcements arrive.)

Tau:

XV8s appeared, XV25s ran away, and the Riptide healed... Everything else shuffled, the central Devilfish's passengers disembarked.

The Hellblasters were markerlit, and 4 killed by the Riptide.

3 Firewarrior squads and a Coldstar shot at the VV. 2 died. The Sergeant held on until the Devilfish had to join in.

Dark Eagles:

Bikers moved around to see the newly arrived Firewarriors. HammerCap joined them.

Hellblasters and Librarian dropped back to see the XV8s. Central scouts and VV moved to intercept the XV8s.

In shooting, the Aggressors killed one XV8 and the snipers and Hellblaster combined to kill another.

The northern Aggressors and Scout bikers only managed to kill 5 Firewarriors with some awful rolls. The Riptide rolled all invulnerable saves from the lascannons.

The Scouts charged the XV8s - 3 died to overwatch but 2 made it in.VV joined but whiffed. The Scout bikers charged in and lost one to overwatch before killing the Firewarriors and piling into the Fireblade. The Captain put 9W on the Devilfish.

med_gallery_68825_15118_198725.jpg

med_gallery_68825_15118_1027778.jpg

This combat went on forever.

(T3)

Tau:

Firewarriors jumped back in their Fish. The embattled XV8s jumped back. Central Firewarriors dashed out and grabbed the relic. New drones flew over to the Riptide. The Coldstar moved around and the Ethereal moved to the Riptide.

In their shooting, 4 VV died to the XV8s - the surviving Sergeant would be a hero.

XV25s killed the final central scout. The Riptide shuffled and tried to get the Scouts, to no avail. The Coldstar shot HammerCap but failed to break his Storm Shield. In their assault, 2 Firewarriors died to Scout bikers.

Dark Eagles:

The backline (Aggs, VV, Helblaster and Scout survivor) moved to see the XV8s off.

The Librarian moved to intercept a lone XV8. HammerCap went for Mr Riptide, the northern Aggs went for the wounded Devilfish.

The Librarian killed the lone XV8 with Smite.

The XV8s took some wounds from the Aggs, Helblaster and Scout.

Sniper scouts killed drones and put a few Mortal wounds on the Riptide. 4 of the Firewarrior Relic carriers died.

In Combat, the Captain killed the Riptide. The XV8s lost one to combat, while the Devilfish was ripped to pieces.

med_gallery_68825_15118_799394.jpg

med_gallery_68825_15118_301361.jpg

(T4)

Tau:

The Relic Tau ran away with the Relic. XV8s ran away.

The Coldstar killed all the northern Aggressors. The XV8s whiffed their shooting. The XV25s and Firewarriors put a wound on the Captain.

In combat, the Scout bikers finally killed off the Firewarriors - leaving just the Fireblade.

Dark Eagles:

Librarian moved to support the fight vs the XV8s. Last scout squad ran up to the centre. VV and Captain moved up.

The Librarina killed another XV8 with Smite. The Lascannon devastators killed 2 XV8s. With Hellfire shells, 1MW on the Coldstar and another normal wound through Scouts. The Aggressors killed the XV8s off.

In combat, the last VV and the Captain charged in and killed the bubblewrap Firewarriors and XV25. They then piled in to the Relic bearing Firewarrior in the ruin.

med_gallery_68825_15118_788624.jpg

med_gallery_68825_15118_734594.jpg

(T5)

Tau:

The Coldstar murdered the Librarian in one volley. The Devilfish killed one scout. Relic warrior fellback, but he had stitched himself up with his own movement and he couldn't get further than 4" away thanks to the terrain and the Devilfish blocking him.

The disembarked Firewarriors tried to gun down the VV but he resisted all 10,000 shots. They then charged him. He survived and killed one of them. The bikers killed off the Fireblade.

Dark Eagles:

The Scout bikers zoomed to support the combat. Scouts ran forwards and the Aggressors moved up. In shooting, the last drones died to the Scouts.

The Hammer Cap killed off the Ethereal. The bikers and VV sergeant killed 8 FireWarriors.

Then, in the most clutch charge, I targeted the Firewarrior with the Relic in the ruins. I needed a 10" charge. (I wanted to get in, in case a T6 didn't occur.)

I rolled a 4 and a 1. I used my last CP for the 1. Rolled a 6.

med_gallery_68825_15118_1249810.jpg

(They're round the back)

At this, the Relic Firewarrior died. Horrifically.

He conceded there.

We rolled to see if another turn would have occured. It would have, so I felt a bit better.

This game was so close. My biggest error was keeping my bikers in the combat, I should've had them fall back and join in quicker.

BUT: Conclusion: Imperial Victory.

MY Dark Eagles were undefeated and it was a great experience. I think I will try to write up some more of it as a narrative.

Thanks for reading, guys!

So, I have been asked to play a game against a competitive opponent as a bit of a warm up for him. I've decided to succumb to meta pressure and squeeze a bit of soup into my list.

That said, I don't want to go the whole IG route, I want to stick to pure Astartes. In order to do that, I've gone for the old Blood Angels, as at least they will fulfil my desire for jump packs. However, I really can't decide how to shave the points. Any thoughts guys?
----

**++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [72 PL, 1166pts] ++**
****Chapter Selection**:** Raven Guard
**+ HQ +**

**Captain [5 PL, 77pts]:** Chainsword, Master-crafted boltgun
**Captain [5 PL, 77pts]:** Chainsword, Master-crafted boltgun

**+ Troops +**

**Scout Squad [6 PL, 55pts]**
**Scout Sergeant:** Bolt pistol, Boltgun **4x Scout w/Boltgun**

**Scout Sergeant:** Bolt pistol, Boltgun **4x Scout w/Boltgun**

**Scout Squad [6 PL, 55pts]** **Scout Sergeant:** Bolt pistol, Combat knife **4x Scout w/Combat Knife**

**+ Elites +**
**Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 111pts]:** 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher
**Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 111pts]:** 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher
**Vanguard Veteran Squad [8 PL, 145pts]:** Jump Pack
 **Space Marine Veteran:** 2x Lightning Claw
 **Veteran Sergeant:** 2x Lightning Claw

**Vanguard Veteran Squad [8 PL, 145pts]:** Jump Pack
. **Space Marine Veteran:** 2x Lightning Claw
 **Veteran Sergeant:** 2x Lightning Claw

**+ Heavy Support +**
**Devastator Squad [8 PL, 170pts]:** Armorium Cherub
 **Space Marine Sergeant:** Boltgun
 **Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon:** Lascannon

**Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]:** Plasma incinerator
 **4x Hellblaster**
 **Hellblaster Sergeant:** Bolt pistol

**++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [26 PL, 305pts] ++**

****Chapter Selection**:** Raven Guard

**+ HQ +**
**Lieutenants [4 PL, 60pts]**
 **Lieutenant:** Bolt pistol, Chainsword
**Lieutenants [4 PL, 60pts]**
. **Lieutenant:** Bolt pistol, Chainsword

**+ Troops +**

. **Scout Sergeant:** Bolt pistol, Boltgun **4x Scout w/Boltgun**

**Scout Squad [6 PL, 65pts]**
. **Scout Sergeant:** Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle **4x Scout w/Sniper Rifle:** 4x Sniper rifle

**Scout Squad [6 PL, 65pts]**
 **Scout Sergeant:** Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle **4x Scout w/Sniper Rifle:** 4x Sniper rifle

**++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [20 PL, 364pts] ++**
**+ HQ +**
**Captain [6 PL, 124pts]:** 5. Gift of Foresight, Jump Pack, Storm shield, The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack), Thunder hammer, Warlord
(Captain Smash to help out)

**Librarian [7 PL, 120pts]:** Bolt pistol, Force stave, Jump Pack
**Librarian [7 PL, 120pts]:** Bolt pistol, Force stave, Jump Pack

**++ Total: [118 PL, 1835pts] ++**

The Raven Guard are really a gunline here, so what to do...

EDITED - Because I posted on my phone and, by the Power of Grayskull, it looked weird when I logged on to my PC.

Edited by Cordova

Query. For context,

What is your general tactical plan during deployment?

Assuming you know your friends army, how do you plan using the drop troops?

While I love both Aggressors and Hellblasters, those units seem a tad undermanned to survive. Which is fine as long their is a deployment plan that protects them or you’re okay with them being fire magnets to take pressure off other units ie ObSec Scouts :)

I have thoughts but need more context.

Dracos

Query. For context,

What is your general tactical plan during deployment?

Assuming you know your friends army, how do you plan using the drop troops?

While I love both Aggressors and Hellblasters, those units seem a tad undermanned to survive. Which is fine as long their is a deployment plan that protects them or you’re okay with them being fire magnets to take pressure off other units ie ObSec Scouts :smile.:

I have thoughts but need more context.

Dracos

My bad, those are pretty useful things to know.

It'll either be Dark Eldar (very unlikely though, he seems to have shelved them), Eldar (more likely) or, if he's feeling particularly whimsical, it'll be a Gulliman line.

-

Deployment wise, the Aggressors are largely to draw fire, using StfS to be quite aggressive. He will almost certainly go for them, as they can be a pain in the neck if left unchecked.  The Hellblasters are minimal squaded, sure, but I have found that to be more useful. Generally, most people I have played try to remove the Devs first, meaning I can get a round or two from them, as even 2 overcharging plasmas can hurt, or finish things off.

My main play is, as you have alluded to, to use the Scouts to drop on as many objectives as possible/control the board. The bigger things then soak fire, so I can (hopefully) rack up a few points with Maelstrom objectives (best laid plans and all that though...)

Captain Smash is borrowed to sort of double down on this. If the Eldar show up, I need some Hemlocks to die fast and he can do that, or I need the hurt on Gulliman and he can do that. I mean, he is Mr Suicide, but with the 5+++, he can be a right pain - meaning another big thing for him to hit - especially if I use the Descent of Angels to rock up in his lines out of Deep Strike.

--

Thanks Dracos.

Do you have model constraints?

I would consider 2x Battalion as a better fit given your objectives.

One RG, one BA.

RG can be Bolter or Sniper Scouts, BA can be Pistols/Knives. RG take the back half of the table, BA take the front half.

If you are going to soup in BA, id strongly recommend Mephiston in addition to the Smash Captain.

Your current list is wasting a lot of points on 4 RG HQ choices. You are also lacking force multipliers to use alongside the Vanguard Vets (Jump RG Captain, Jump LT, or Shrike). While I think Dual LC VVs are (sadly) not that optimal, if I was going to run them, I would want to ensure they had a buffing character to escort.

Just some initial thoughts anyway, but like I said - I have no idea what your collection looks like, so this all may be moot.

Do you have model constraints?

I would consider 2x Battalion as a better fit given your objectives.

One RG, one BA.

RG can be Bolter or Sniper Scouts, BA can be Pistols/Knives. RG take the back half of the table, BA take the front half.

If you are going to soup in BA, id strongly recommend Mephiston in addition to the Smash Captain.

Your current list is wasting a lot of points on 4 RG HQ choices. You are also lacking force multipliers to use alongside the Vanguard Vets (Jump RG Captain, Jump LT, or Shrike). While I think Dual LC VVs are (sadly) not that optimal, if I was going to run them, I would want to ensure they had a buffing character to escort.

Just some initial thoughts anyway, but like I said - I have no idea what your collection looks like, so this all may be moot.

No real constraints - other than paint - but as this is a pick-up game for him to practise, I doubt he'd mind too much too be honest.

I know that LC VV aren't the best, but there's a deep-seated part of me that cannot drop them as then I feel I'd be fully letting the Raven Guard down.

I may go the route of dual Battalion - I was initially thinking of going for some Intercessors to a) roll in some Primaris and b ) act as a mid-field buffer. However, they are a bit slow and would also involve a weird mix at that point - taking away from the potential aggression that the Blood Angels bring.

I know that LC VV aren't the best, but there's a deep-seated part of me that cannot drop them as then I feel I'd be fully letting the Raven Guard down.

I feel you. I struggled with the same feelings when I came back to the game at the end of 7th. As a guy who's army was mainly Scouts (30+) and Assault Marines (30+), I felt woefully under-equipped to fight in the current gun-heavy meta.

With the cost of storm shields being so low, I would highly recommend working 1-2 in to each VV squad, and if you do end up merging battaltions, with those extra points I would increase their unit size. I personally found 8 to be a good sweet spot myself (something like 3 CS/SS and 5 LC). Just a thought anyway :) 

I feel you. I struggled with the same feelings when I came back to the game at the end of 7th. As a guy who's army was mainly Scouts (30+) and Assault Marines (30+), I felt woefully under-equipped to fight in the current gun-heavy meta.

With the cost of storm shields being so low, I would highly recommend working 1-2 in to each VV squad, and if you do end up merging battaltions, with those extra points I would increase their unit size. I personally found 8 to be a good sweet spot myself (something like 3 CS/SS and 5 LC). Just a thought anyway :smile.:

Ha, I think we're not the only ones.

I also have a deep-seated desire to have a lore-friendly force. I don't mind mixing Astartes because they are (with a few exceptions...i.e. Wolves) largely the same. Blood Angels can just be my Assault elements - I'll just paint a bit more of their armour red.

I have my VV painted in batches of 5 - a throwback to the old min-maxing days. I've found that 5 have worked for me, provided I target things they can suicide kill in one hit. I might look into the idea of taking some 8-man squads. Also gives me a chance to throw a few points into some more models to paint.

I'll have a play and re-post a new list idea.

Ok, so I have been wracking el brains in order to make this fit. I have a compulsion to write any lists with some form of lore-based justification (even if tenuous). I have pretty much resorted to my old-school excuse: same chapter, different company...explaining different fighting styles etc.

So, I have consolidated my Raven Guard into a more gun-line style, with the Blood Angels part to be used as the aggressive side. This also lets me use some ASM with special weapons which makes me so happy on the inside.

Anyway:

Raven Guard:

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 77pts]: Chainsword, Master-crafted boltgun

Lieutenants [4 PL, 60pts]
Lieutenant: Bolt pistol, Chainsword

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [12 PL, 148pts]: 3x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

+ Heavy Support +

Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun

4x Hellblaster

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [60 PL, 841pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, 124pts]: 5. Gift of Foresight, Jump Pack, Storm shield, The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack), Thunder hammer, Warlord

Librarian [7 PL, 120pts]: 2. Unleash Rage, 3. Shield of Sanguinius, Bolt pistol, Force stave, Jump Pack

Sanguinary Priest [5 PL, 86pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Jump Pack

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]
Scout: Boltgun

+ Elites +

Death Company [18 PL, 136pts]: Jump Pack
Death Company Marine: Thunder hammer
Death Company Marine: Boltgun, Chainsword

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [6 PL, 102pts]: Jump Pack
Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Plasma pistol
2x Space Marine w/ bolt pistol and chainsword
Space Marine w/ special weapon: Plasma gun
Space Marine w/ special weapon: Plasma gun

Assault Squad [6 PL, 108pts]: Jump Pack
Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Melta bombs
2x Space Marine w/ bolt pistol and chainsword
Space Marine w/ special weapon: Meltagun
Space Marine w/ special weapon: Meltagun
---

This is 1656 points. I could add another Aggressor, but then I still have several points left. Any ideas guys?

Throwing in a ML in your dev squad will give you the 2x Flakk Missle trick, which if he plays Eldar or Dark Eldar will be gold.

For the Blood Angels, Sang Guard might be a better fit for your list than DC. IF you go the Sang Guard route, id add an Sang Ancient with Banner and JP.

If you keep the DC, I would suggest Lemartes, he is pretty strong. I would reiterate that Mephiston is stronger than a BA jump libby as well (With Wings of Sanguinius he's nearly as fast)

Looks good! Maybe fit a cheap dread in the RG battalion if you need to flesh out points. Dual Twin Autocannon or TL LC/ML works.

• 1 month later...

So it's been a while....

After the big old campaign and other such things, I needed a break from Space Marines. I was on a massive hobby kick, so I have now fully painted up all my Eldar (filthy Xenos) to break things up. Now, however, I have thrown myself a gauntlet.  Back in 4th/5th edition, I used to play quite competitively. That dried up as friends stopped playing, I got a real job and I realised that I'd rather do more actual sport than move plastic soldiers competitively.

Last year, I broke my left leg and sheared two ligaments in my knee. Despite my best efforts, and surgeries etc, I have pretty much had to come to the realisation that I cannot play sport to the level I used to (or really ever) properly again. So, that means I need something to pour energy into...so, I have decided to attend at least one 40k tournament this year. I mean, I'll be battered, but it's something.

As a result, I am going to take my trusty Dark Eagles forth again (as I did all those years ago) but they will have some rather soupy allies...  I've tried to keep the flavour of my original list, but for competitive reasons, there are changes. Any help with it would be appreciated:

DARK EAGLES (RAVEN GUARD)

+ HQ +

With the VV - largely a moveable bubble for Hellblasters and Aggressors.

Lieutenant: 2x Chainsword

With Scouts and Devs, helping to up the wound output.

+ Troops +

These are Scouts. They have sniper rifles. That is all.

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [12 PL, 185pts]: 4x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

I mean, yeah. They'll prob StfS into the midfield and hang around. With the changes to StfS, I now use the 9" move to plonk them in the way. Nothing wants to get too close, even if some of the offensive nature is gone.

Because Raven Guard.

+ Heavy Support +

Big Lazors are Big.

4x Hellblaster
Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol#

StfS to be a big target.

BLOOD ANGELS (1st Company of Dark Eagles for fluff reasons, so whatever, I'm taking them)

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, 124pts]: 5. Gift of Foresight, Jump Pack, Storm shield, The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack), Thunder hammer, Warlord

Smashguinius. He does exactly what he needs to and buys me a big hitting threat that can arrive.

Slapguinius. His younger brother - just to offer another threat.

Chief Librarian Mephiston [8 PL, 160pts]

There can be only one.

LOYAL 32

Regimental Doctrine: Astra Millitarum -Probably Catachan

+ HQ +

Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 40pts]: 9x Guardsman
Sergeant: Laspistol

---

This whole lot comes to 1632.

Basic ploy is that the IG sit at the back, on an objective if possible, and hang around. The scouts block midfield. Devs are bubblewrapped by IG.

Aggs and Hellblasters use StfS to threaten or appear threatening.

VV are on field to start, out of LoS (usually possible with a small squad) to be reactionary, can StfS if I need.

The Blood Angels hit things.

I'm pretty happy with most bits, as it offers some threat in different ways. It's not going to win any events, but that isn't my goal. I just don't want to be wiped.

Now, I have 118 points left.

What do I do? Add some to the IG, so they can contribute? Add more RG elements?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

After my truck wreck, back surgery and chemo I feel you on missing sports in my life. Redirect the energy positively and be open to new challenges.

Speaking of challenges I’ll accept your and also promise to ready my Warhawks for at least one tournament this year.

Suggestion: Im not sure you need the Blood Angels. I get the 32 though. It’s a fluffy choice and could be instrumental in the Assassins you will be adding to that list ;)

I've thought about trying my hand at a tournament but I don't know. I'm super competitive (personality) but not great at 40k (lack of experience). Plus I don't have 2k painted up. I have been playing and learning more which is helping me get comfortable with doing things, and learning what other armies do/don't do.

I think if I could find a ~1k tourny I might consider going to that.

Rep's, rep's and more rep's! :tu:

Watching batrep's helps too as you learn more about other armies and how to counter them

Playing a wide variety of opponents and making sure you learn from mistakes is key

Also don't be afraid to enter tournaments, even if you lose every game as long as you learn from what you did wrong its a valuable experience!

Yup, I'd agree. I just watched one over lunch, BA vs Death Guard. Watching all the unique armies makes me a bit sad at how vanilla marines are left behind :(

The other thing I enjoy about bat reps is they show that games can come to the wire if you keep playing well. In the one I watched the BA looked like they were going to smoke the DG early on but by the end of the game it was pretty close on both sides. Because 40k is I Go You Go I think that's a really important thing to keep in mind (and one I did not at my last game).

@ Cordova

I feel your pain about the big life changes. I had similar things effect my life, and that drew me back to wanting to engage in face to face tabletop gaming. It's a great hobby, and the tournament scene can be a ton of fun!

I like your list a lot, here are a few suggestions from me for your last dab of points:

1) Flesh out the guard batt: I am a big fan of mortar heavy weapon teams, you can also add mortars to the infantry squads as well.

2) Turn your 1 x Devastator Squad with Lascannons into 2 Dev Squads, and swap out into a Missle Launcher/Heavy Bolter with Cherub in each to use the double firing strat combo (your list has tons of CPs, this is a great way to leverage them)

3) It might be worth considering dedicating your Captain to buffing your ranged RG units, and if you were to do this, you may want to move you assault/JP element to the Blood Angel detachment. You could up yourself into Sanguinary Guard, or Death Company (with JPs). Both units should out perform the LC VVs.

Can't wait to see the final rendition, and the results!

Thank you all for your input - it is much appreciated. I have been watching many bat-reps etc and looking at the list. I will never play a WAAC list, but I am pretty happy that this is a closer balance of power/fluff. It's a bit cheesy, but oh well. Again, thoughts are appreciated...

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [63 PL, 961pts] ++

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 81pts]: Master-crafted boltgun, Power sword

Lieutenant: 2x Chainsword

These will sit with the shooty guys, throwing out rerolls.

+ Troops +

4x Scout w/Boltgun

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [12 PL, 185pts]: 4x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Probably StfS with the Hellblasters. Aggressively if T1 or defensively if needed.

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: Armorium Cherub
Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 120pts]: Armorium Cherub
Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher
Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

Listening to feedback...

4x Hellblaster

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [13 PL, -2CP, 303pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Imperial Commander's Armoury [-1CP]: 1 additional Heirloom of Conquest

Operative Requisition Sanctioned [-1CP, 85pts]

Regimental Doctrine: Regiment: Catachan

+ HQ +

Company Commander [2 PL, 31pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword

Company Commander [2 PL, 31pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword, Relic: Kurov's Aquila

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 52pts]
6x Guardsman
Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
Heavy Weapon Team: Mortar

6x Guardsman

6x Guardsman

Paying the CP for the Aquila seems worth it. Each squad can now do something, they have ranged anti-infantry and a bit of bite if something appears in the backfield.

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [28 PL, 486pts] ++

+ HQ +

Chief Librarian Mephiston [8 PL, 160pts]

Sanguinary Priest [5 PL, 86pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Jump Pack

For Smashing or buffing...

+ Elites +

Death Company [9 PL, 116pts]: Jump Pack
Death Company Marine: Thunder hammer

Boltguns because of the beta rule - that's a lot from 4 dudes. They are basically another buffer before the TH dies.

--

Thanks guys, once I have it all sorted in paint, I'll give it a whirl.

Looks good! If you are still looking for suggestions:

1) Swap one lascannon from that squad with a HB from the other. Remember you can split fire in 8th Edition, so having them moved around isn't really a bad thing. By having a ML and HB in both squads, it gives you the opportunity of doing the double tap with the Cherub on either Flakk or Hellfire, twice.

2) Id drop the Plasma from the Guard infantry squads. They should be hidden/behind cover and not be seen for the most part, and if you do move them out, you will be using Move Move Move on them to get on objectives. You just won't get a lot of return on special weapons in the units.

3) With the points cut from the specials, id upgrade your Sang Priest to Lemartes. He gives you an innate re-roll charge bubble on the DC and your Slam-Captain both. Pretty strong, AND Lemartes is no slouch in CC (Considerably stronger than the Priest).

4) Depending on the opponent, -1CP to give Primarch's Wrath to the RG Captain might prove pretty strong, just something to consider.

4) Dont forget to switch between Gift of Foresight and Artisan of War on your Slam Captain, depending on how much armor you face. D4 Thunder Hammers are quite good.