Mort's BA-Dex Observations.

Morticon

Good job on the win!

So I take it you’re looking for some heavy hitters in the elite section. How about a Deredeo then? They put out some solid dakka and are sturdier than your average dread. With the pavise you could even protect some back line units.

Didnt know what it did/was - but its actually a solid option.  Dont have one though :( 

If you are looking for mobile anti-tank then the sicaran venator is a beast. CA reduced the price to 178 for a tank with HB and neutron laser.

Add sponsons to taste. It comes with an ability that ignores -1 to hit for moving and shooting heavy weapons AND had a movement of 14”

Edit: Missed the point value by 2 points. The price for a venator with neutron and HB is 180, not 178...

Edited by Are Verlo

Mort, did you get an auto slaughter on the passengers by surrounding the transport?!!! I've only had it work ONCE on a Rhino, so I wanna know if it's been actually successfully done on other transports!!!

Yessir. 16" charge on to a venom that was packed with all his HQs. He wont make that mistake again :D 

If you are looking for mobile anti-tank then the sicaran venator is a beast. CA reduced the price to 178 for a tank with HB and neutron laser.

Add sponsons to taste. It comes with an ability that ignores -1 to hit for moving and shooting heavy weapons AND had a movement of 14”

Something to look into!!! 

At the moment, though, I've stumbled on the Hyperios! only 120 points - sure, its got -1 for most targets-  but, with S8 and -2 dam...not needing LOS, i think i'll take it. 

I will need to lose one dread and the rapier battery to fit two into my list-  but i think it works. 

Other alternative is a more tactical approach.  Lose one dread, a tarantula and the rapier, and then pick up a Hyperios and an Intercessor Squad ! Not as good as the guard though, which is my main issue - so i feel id like it vs. them.  

Mort, did you get an auto slaughter on the passengers by surrounding the transport?!!! I've only had it work ONCE on a Rhino, so I wanna know if it's been actually successfully done on other transports!!!

Yessir. 16" charge on to a venom that was packed with all his HQs. He wont make that mistake again :biggrin.:

16" charge? I hope the additional 4" was just what you needed to surround it since you can't declare charges on units more than 12" away even if you could roll high enough. ^^

Gonna try this:

Captain

Priest (or Chap)

Mephy

Miner

2x5 Tac- 2lascannon

2x5 Scouts- 2HB

2x5 Scouts - 1axe 

8DC - 2hammer

8 VV - 6shields, 2axe, hammer

Venator 

Tarantula

Tarantula

8 ASM - melta, hammer

Rapier - mortar

Rapier - mortar

Hyperios Whirly

Eversor 

Yessir. 16" charge on to a venom that was packed with all his HQs. He wont make that mistake again :biggrin.:

16" charge? I hope the additional 4" was just what you needed to surround it since you can't declare charges on units more than 12" away even if you could roll high enough. ^^

Dropped in 9" away - so 16" was gold.  

How many models did it take to complete the surround and which unit got the glory? Was your opponent aware his passengers were doomed by rule?

The venom is really small thankfully, so I had no real problems doing it with 8 models.  My opponents saw me meticulously moving, then declaring the inches away from the venom - he mentioned that he had fly (thinking the move was to try lock him in).  After I killed it, he started measuring from the model, I explained the .99, and the 1.25 bases - and he took it like a champ.  But, had no idea it was coming.  

Interestingly we barely play with transports in our group (AdMech, Tyranids, GK, Orks, AM/DG) so haven't had the chance to try it myself yet but I'm really looking forward to see the face of my opponent afterwards. :D

Gonna try this:

Captain

Priest (or Chap)

Mephy

Miner

2x5 Tac- 2lascannon

2x5 Scouts- 2HB

2x5 Scouts - 1axe

8DC - 2hammer

Venator

Tarantula

Tarantula

8 ASM - melta, hammer

Rapier - mortar

Rapier - mortar

Hyperios Whirly

Eversor

I second the Venator also, it was surprisingly good when I proxied it recently. Not necessarily better than the regular Sicaran which is more versatile, but still pretty good.

What does the Eversor do in your list?

I wish I’d get to sourround kill a transport, too. But the only one bringing them is our Eldar player and Serpents and Falcons are huge :/

Gonna try this:

Captain

Priest (or Chap)

Mephy

Miner

2x5 Tac- 2lascannon

2x5 Scouts- 2HB

2x5 Scouts - 1axe

8DC - 2hammer

Venator

Tarantula

Tarantula

8 ASM - melta, hammer

Rapier - mortar

Rapier - mortar

Hyperios Whirly

Eversor

I second the Venator also, it was surprisingly good when I proxied it recently. Not necessarily better than the regular Sicaran which is more versatile, but still pretty good.

What does the Eversor do in your list?

I wish I’d get to sourround kill a transport, too. But the only one bringing them is our Eldar player and Serpents and Falcons are huge :/

I would actually rate the venator higher for anti-tank duty. The neutron is great vs "rhino chassis"-class vehicles, great vs monsters and LoWs. And it can fire both lascannon sponsons on the move.

The Sicaran battle tank is also great, especially vs models with fly. But when it comes to heavy duty tank busting and other big game hunting the venator does it better.

Mort how do you fit in the Eversor and Miner and stay battle forged? Are you running two Aux Supports for -2?

Two Aux, yeh. 

As for the Evesor, with Frenzon, he's able to place from reserve and charge, meaning I can time my BA assaults far better. More things held up in combat if need be, too.   

Working the following vs Nigel today. 

Mephy

Captain - artisan, wing, shield, hammer

Lieut - veritas, fist, JP, bolter

5x Intercessors

5x Tactical Marines - lascannon

5x Scouts - bolters, HB

5x Scouts - shotguns, HB

5x Scouts - ccw, axe

5x Scouts - ccw

Dread - las/auto

Sicaran Venator

8x DC - JP, 2 Hammer, bolters

8x VV - 6shields, 2Axe, 1Hammer

Quad Mortar Rapier

Quad Mortar Rapier

Quad Bolter Rapier

Tarantula

Tarantula

8x ASM - Hammer, Meltagun

It's a play test of my tournament list for the weekend.  I need something for the Russes - which is why the dread and the venator is there.  

I wish I could work in the Assassin, because i think he synergises very very well with the BA, but I just cant fit him in.  I may have to go 2x Tacs if i cant get my Primaris painted in time.  But, otherwise, Id like the Intercessor squad in there for a more varied and tactical list.  

I also lose out on the AM Miner, but also, points are far too tight, so poor mans miner in the form of the Veritas.  If I need him back, i'll see where I can tweak.  

This list seems more focused, but before I make any «good» suggestions, you need to inform us of the missions in the tournament. How is the scoring worked out?

Eternal war, maelstrom, custom or a combination?

Your list should be really strong when playing maelstrom. It will easily reach objectives and has a decent presence in both the shooting- and melee(close combat?)phase,

Are - we're using the following:

For all Rule Book Eternal War Missions, a single roll-off for all will be done AFTER pairing is announced and tables allocated.

The following FOUR missions will be rolled for, and no mission will be played more than once.

Big Guns Never Tire

The Scouring

Emperor's Will

The Relic

The following CHAPTER APPROVED Missions will be in play:

Front-line Warfare

Scorched Earth

Dominate and Destroy

Played Nigel's Orks.

He was using

Warboss on Bike, 

Warboss on Bike

Big Mek - Bike, FF

Beg Mek - FF

Weird Boy

Weird Boy

30 Boys - klaw

30 boys - klaw

2x 10 grots

15 Tankbustas - 6 squigbombs

15 Tankbustas - some squigbombs

5 Tankbustas - some squigbombs

10 Kommandos - klaw

2x Trakta guns

Was a fun game.  But absolutley caned him.  Tabled in the 4th.

I think i'm going to rock the Chappy over the Lieut - will make me weaker vs. the Guard, but stronger vs everything else.  

Also, I cant find my other sicaran in storage, so i'm not going to be able to build the venator - which is a HUGE pity.  It does open up the miner though, for some tactical flexibility.

I'm kinda scared to face Orks on my own next time ... we have a new player in our group who started Orks so we have mostly played 2v2s or 3v3s to include her and still have bigger matches lately. Thing is she focusses on Warbikers and she constantly does well in our games.

Having most of the army in your face round 2 with the bazillion of attacks raining down on you is scary even if you manage to kill half of the army during the first turn. And then her Warboss, Weirdboy and Boyz slowly reach your lines as well to bring the real pain. :D

I'm kinda scared to face Orks on my own next time ... we have a new player in our group who started Orks so we have mostly played 2v2s or 3v3s to include her and still have bigger matches lately. Thing is she focusses on Warbikers and she constantly does well in our games.

Having most of the army in your face round 2 with the bazillion of attacks raining down on you is scary even if you manage to kill half of the army during the first turn. And then her Warboss, Weirdboy and Boyz slowly reach your lines as well to bring the real pain. :biggrin.:

Sounds like maybe a good situation for a flamestorm Baal or two?

Exactly my thoughts. So far I haven’t been able to get a single win vs Orks in 8th :sad.: There’s so many of them! And their vehicles may be shoddy but they’re resilient enough to bring a few squads home and they’re not bad in melee.

What you fighting against? And what your rocking? Maybe start a thread on "Vs. Orks" and get the community to try help with some suggestions? 

Tristan is also rocking a VERY powerful, anti-meta ork list.   I think its 14 ork warbosses on bikes, a squad of 30 grots and 2x 30 kommandos (i think). 

Basically messes with target priority until the bosses are in your lines ripping up your shiz.  

Having most of the army in your face round 2 with the bazillion of attacks raining down on you is scary even if you manage to kill half of the army during the first turn. And then her Warboss, Weirdboy and Boyz slowly reach your lines as well to bring the real pain. :biggrin.:

Yeah probably. Too bad I'm building a Primaris only army (except for 4 HQ options). :D

Yeah probably. Too bad I'm building a Primaris only army (except for 4 HQ options). :biggrin.:

For what it's worth my strategy against Orks as well as most other footslogging assault-centric armies has been keeping my table footprint small for the first turn or two and using big groups of Intercessors to eat the charges. Once the orks are pinned against my line I like using jump infantry to counter-assault but that's less of an option with Primaris. I'd say Agressors are your best bet against a horde. That bike list would be incredibly hard to deal with but I think plasma of some sort is the way to go. Probably Hellblasters behind screening intercessors since Inceptors would just get after a single round of shooting.

I'll most likely do exactly that (soaking up with Intercessors) but instead of counter charging, I'll drop some Inceptors and shoot them off the table. S5 AP-1 is devastating. ^^

So, current reworking of my list:

I'm down on a Venator and am unlikely to have one for Saturday.  So, I'm looking at the following:

Miner (WL)

Captain - hammer, wing, shield

Chaplain - jp

Mephiston

5x Sniper Scouts

5x Bolter Scouts + HB

5x CCW - Axe

5x Shotty Scouts

5x Tacs - Lascannon

5x Intercessors

Dread - Las/Auto

8x DC - 2Hammers

8x VV - Hammer, 2Axe, 6 Shields

8x ASM - Fist 

3x Inceptors (Plasma) 

Tarantula

Rapier - HB

Rapier - QM

Rapier - QM 

Have a few points to play with, but i'm also toying with going Bolter Inceptors and instead of the HB rapier, going for a doulbe auto Mortis Dread in the heavy slot.  

I'm looking a little light on anti-tank, which is troubling - so, i dont know quite what to do. 

Another option is a double las Mortis.  

Yet another list is double auto-cannon mortis + 1 more mortar rapier. 

Thoughts here, lads?