Mort's BA-Dex Observations.

Morticon

Hmmm. When I look at your list I think that that Dread won’t live long being the only real vehicle.

How about you go all the way and swap him out for some Devastators? Then your opponents anti-tank weapons will have even less to shoot at effectively.

Also, why don’t you bring 3 inquisitorial acolytes alongside your Miner to receive a CP instead of being -1 right off the bat?

Hmmm. When I look at your list I think that that Dread won’t live long being the only real vehicle.

Im predicting the same thing, sadly. 

How about you go all the way and swap him out for some Devastators? Then your opponents anti-tank weapons will have even less to shoot at effectively.

I still have the rapier batteries which will get a lot of fire- but the Devs are not a bad idea, either.  Will look to it.  

Also, why don’t you bring 3 inquisitorial acolytes alongside your Miner to receive a CP instead of being -1 right off the bat?

Trying to avoid any non-BA stuff, purely for fluff reasons.  

Looking at a small tweak to the above:

Miner (WL)

Captain - hammer, wing, shield

Chaplain - jp

Mephiston

5x Sniper Scouts

5x Bolter Scouts + HB

5x CCW - Axe

5x Shotty Scouts

5x Tacs - Lascannon

5x Intercessors

Scorpios WW. 

8x DC - 2Hammers

8x VV - Hammer, 2Axe, 6 Shields

8x ASM - Fist 

Tarantula

Tarantula

Mortis Dread -Double Las

Rapier - QM

Rapier - QM 

Are - we're using the following:

For all Rule Book Eternal War Missions, a single roll-off for all will be done AFTER pairing is announced and tables allocated.

The following FOUR missions will be rolled for, and no mission will be played more than once.

Big Guns Never Tire

The Scouring

Emperor's Will

The Relic

The following CHAPTER APPROVED Missions will be in play:

Front-line Warfare

Scorched Earth

Dominate and Destroy

Soo, if I am not mistaken you will be playing 4 eternal war missions with "end of game scoring" AND 3 CA missions, where Front-line has end of game scoring (I love this mission) and Scorched + Dominate will be progressive scoring?

Too bad for your list that it´s not maelstrom, but then again maelstrom usually takes longer. How much time is available to each game. You doing 2.5 hrs or 3 hrs per game?

Your list is lacking ranged anti-tank, but I fear that including just a few anti-tank models like a las-dread will make it a priority. As the posters above suggest, devastators work well with a list like yours. You have superb boardcontrol and can place the devs where needed and you can probably keep "deep strikers" and melee based attacks off your devs for a long time.

The venator has the advantage over the dread IMO, that it can be deployed out of LoS and move into postition to fire, without suffering -1 to hit. Your mortis dread can do the same, but would suffer -1 to hit. Keep looking for that sicaran :-)

Can you outscore the guard players´ Russ heavy lists? They will take a heavy toll, but in Scorched, if you can grab the midfield objectives, raze them with the scouts, hold on to your own and try to contest his, it might work.

Edit: You can only raze the objectives in the enemy DZ. That can be hard IF the Russes camp the objectives and are from a spearhead (They get ob.sec)

Edited by Are Verlo

Sadly, the Hemlocks have flamer weapons- which means anything charging gets nuked.

The reapers also get intercept shots within 6" of the the farseer- and the smite on the hemlocks means additional hurt too. It puts out so much evil dakka, its unreal.

The answer to the Hemlocks flamer weapons is the relic jumpack.

I have played several games vs sniper scouts, both me an my opponent usually gives them as thumbs down.

If you are going for sniper scouts you have to invest heavily. You need 15-ish snipers, with rerolls to hit and wound to put any pressure on combat characters.

5 with no buffs won’t cut it.

Edit: and 15 scouts are not free. You could have 11 jump DC with points left for a power weapon. But now and then they are glorious. If some poor fool sufferes a perils, then the scout will often finish the job

Edited by Are Verlo

IG character with a relic that let’s you roll aD6 for every stratagem the opponent uses, on a 5+ you get 1 CP. The same character (the miner) has a warlord trait that lets you roll a D6 for every CP you spend, on a 5+ you get 1 CP

Edit: the relic is officer only, so the miner has to be one

Edited by Are Verlo

I don't think any Sniper unit without at least some AP and decent BS is worth taking. The Skitarii ones are awesome, the SM Scouts are meh and the T'au Sniper Drones are just terrible.

IG character with a relic that let’s you roll aD6 for every stratagem the opponent uses, on a 5+ you get 1 CP. The same character (the miner) has a warlord trait that lets you roll a D6 for every CP you spend, on a 5+ you get 1 CP

So you just add the singleton IF officer in a -1cp detactment?

Yes, but that means giving up WL trait from the BA codex, and both the liby dread and the DC captain make great use of artisan of war.

And the miner is a soft target should the opponent ever be in a position to attack him.

This makes it an interresting choice to include. Not auto-take, but a solid option.

So you just add the singleton IF officer in a -1cp detactment?

Yessir. 30 points.  Cheap and cheerful, and worth every point.  

Yes, but that means giving up WL trait from the BA codex, and both the liby dread and the DC captain make great use of artisan of war.

And the miner is a soft target should the opponent ever be in a position to attack him.

This makes it an interresting choice to include. Not auto-take, but a solid option.

You're right about the soft target! I think character rules should help though. 

Great advice so far gents. Really appreciated. 

I played the following this evening:

Miner

Captain - wing, shield, hammer

Chaplain 

Mephiston

5 Intercessors

5 Scouts- snipers 

5 Scouts- CCW + Axe (2shotties mixed in)

5 Scouts- CCW - 2 shotties mixed in

5 Scouts- bolters -  HB

8 DC - 2hammer

8 VanVet - Hammer, 2 Axe

Sicaran - venator   

Rapier - mortar

Rapier - mortar

Rapier - HB

Tarantula

8 ASM - fist

3 Inceptors -plasma 

The game was against IG/GK - such a good, strong list. 

Miner

company commander

Pask, 

2 Russes

2 Basilisks

4 squads of guard

2 Cyclops

2x NDK GM 

3x5 GK strikes

I played scorched earth mission - unfortunately on hammer and anvil set up.  It really was an awesome game.  Opponent played very well.  I am VERY rusty - and will probably remain so for the tourney this weekend, but was good to know that I took the lead for the whole game right until the end.  Had it ended 5th, I would have won (16 VP to 11), but sadly, I got tabled in the 6th :tongue.:

There were a few tactical mistakes I made, but I didnt want to use the tri-lock on my opponent this time round, mainly because I dont want him getting used to it, and working ways around it.  

Russes are SO tough to take down - even with DC.  Though, the Ventator was incredible- and im very likely to be wrecking my nice sicaran to custom a venator.  

I'll also likely to be cutting up my hellblasters to make plasma* inceptors -because, i REALLY liked how they played.  So, so strong, and exactly what I need.  

I'm not convinced about the list overall.  It doesn't have the bodies needed, but the back ground footprint is good and the gunner rules on rapiers work in my favour, meaning the gunners stick around for a long while before they can be targetted. 

I wasnt impressed with the snipers (as everyone has noted).

The miner got me about 5 extra CP

Edited by Morticon
bolter to plasma change

Go for the venator. It is as close to sexy a tankhunter gets.

I expected your list do do well with progressive scoring (with regards to VPs), too bad you did’t have the Manpower to carry it home.

In a rematch, on the same map, deployment and opponent , what would you change in your list?

Go for the venator. It is as close to sexy a tankhunter gets.

I expected your list do do well with progressive scoring (with regards to VPs), too bad you did’t have the Manpower to carry it home.

In a rematch, on the same map, deployment and opponent , what would you change in your list?

I would have played better! 

Would have kept the same list.  Maybe change to a Sanguinary priest from Chappy - though I need the chappy for the orky hordes.  

I love how this thread has turned into the go-to tactica thread, at least for me it has! Hope you don’t mind, Morticon?

I’ll finally get 2 games in this Saturday (vs Eldar and ?, can’t wait!

Glad to read that your Venator performed well! Might have to buy one soon, but there’s also the Leviathan or Fire Raptor...

What did you mean with the Bolter Inceptors? In your list it says Plasma? I’m contemplating getting a squad of bolters, too, but the Plasma ones have been great!

I may have mistyped? Not sure where you're referring to but I used the plasma (at the suggestion of some member here) and was NOT disappointed. 

Theyre silly expensive, but the damage output is exactly what I needed.  

I had two boxed sets of dark imperium, and Ive already hacked up 6 hellblasters to maoke custom built Inceptors.  Now to paint them up. 

Also, the Venator was so good, I've built a custom jobby too.  

I had two boxed sets of dark imperium, and Ive already hacked up 6 hellblasters to maoke custom built Inceptors.  Now to paint them up. 

Please show! I was thinking of doing the same.

And yeah you said Bolter Inceptors above ;)

I may have mistyped? Not sure where you're referring to but I used the plasma (at the suggestion of some member here) and was NOT disappointed. 

Yes you mistyped. :P

I'll also likely to be cutting up my hellblasters to make bolter inceptors -because, i REALLY liked how they played.  So, so strong, and exactly what I need.  

I'm glad you guys are doing well with them, I can't bring myself to take a unit with that many plasma shots on so few models, because I know I'll overcharge with a reroll and still kill half the unit. And if you don't overcharge, the bolters are better.

Yes you mistyped. :tongue.:

I'll also likely to be cutting up my hellblasters to make bolter inceptors -because, i REALLY liked how they played.  So, so strong, and exactly what I need.  

i blame old age.  

plasma-ceptors 

I'm glad you guys are doing well with them, I can't bring myself to take a unit with that many plasma shots on so few models, because I know I'll overcharge with a reroll and still kill half the unit. And if you don't overcharge, the bolters are better.

I cant remember if we ran the numbers or not? 

12(average) x S7, -3 shots vs 18x S5, -1 shots? 

vs. T4, T5, T6 and T7 3+ ? 

VS MEQs 3 Bolter-ceptors will average 4 kills while plasma-ceptors (at S7) will average 4.44 kills which makes bolters more cost-effective vs 1W infantry.

Against higher toughness or multi-wound targets, the plasma-ceptors pull ahead.

That being said, they pull ahead at the cost of risking to lose them and each loss being 2d3 shots less next time.

They aren't bad, far from it, and when I feel like my Hellblaster are going to get focussed too much during the first turn so I can't use them properly I will definitely switch to Plasma Inceptors instead ... however as long as Hellblaster do their job fine I'll prefer them over Plasma Inceptors. This of course is entirely local-meta dependent so I can't and won't say one is superior over the other.