[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

Given his specialization and just getting used to operate outside the common IH operating routines, I don't think Sabaan sees himself as a logical choice for leadership at this point. As in my post, he would either prefer to run a couple of simulated battles and see who fares best or at least to get some input about whom not to select from practical experience rather than talk and gut feeling. OOC, I myself do not think it wise choice game wise as I have zero practical experience with such things as coherence and squad mode and the like. Which seems handy to have leading in a DW Game. So, no, no challenges for command from me or Sabaan at this point.

This might be odd to read/hear about but, for myself specifically, in all the Deathwatch games Ive played, we’ve never used Squad Mode.

I’ll also conjure up a list of oaths and stuff once I get to my PC

I will admit that cohesion and squad mode have been one of my trickiest stumbling blocks, but at the same time I would like to know more. It seems that squad mode allows the Kill-Team to face more of the nasty elements of the game...

Sort of, it lets us use powerful abilities when facing very tough foes. As good as some solo modes are, squad mode abilities are often better, especially chapter ones... this makes the Tac Marine ability to share modes very powerful, but if/when we can buy "forging the bond" makes that ability superfluous.

Given his specialization and just getting used to operate outside the common IH operating routines, I don't think Sabaan sees himself as a logical choice for leadership at this point. As in my post, he would either prefer to run a couple of simulated battles and see who fares best or at least to get some input about whom not to select from practical experience rather than talk and gut feeling. OOC, I myself do not think it wise choice game wise as I have zero practical experience with such things as coherence and squad mode and the like. Which seems handy to have leading in a DW Game. So, no, no challenges for command from me or Sabaan at this point.

This might be odd to read/hear about but, for myself specifically, in all the Deathwatch games Ive played, we’ve never used Squad Mode.

I’ll also conjure up a list of oaths and stuff once I get to my PC

I have a few oaths etc I can add as well Slips, if you want them.

I will admit that cohesion and squad mode have been one of my trickiest stumbling blocks, but at the same time I would like to know more. It seems that squad mode allows the Kill-Team to face more of the nasty elements of the game... 

Cohesion and Squad Mode is where the sum of all the parts come together.  In Squad Mode we can use Reactions as attacks, to bunker down, to take shots that would hurt other players, add cover, concentrate fire, fire and move as an action - the list goes on.

It is the Kill Team Leader's Speciality that defines what Squad Modes we can access and they are the ONLY ones we can access - other than our Chapter or Solo Modes (Codex Only for me) the Cohesion score is the Leader's Fellowship Bonus - with a bit here and there.  Each Squad Mode ability uses Cohesion as currency.  You pay the cohesion cost and you get the abilities.  However, Cohesion can be affected in many ways and can actually get to more than the original allowance.

What are you having trouble with Mol?

MR.

Just making sure I understand it all. There's going to be a lot of experimentation to see how combat works on a play-by-post. We will have to see who rolls what, etc, so that things don't end up being ridiculously strung out. I will be calling on your help as we get closer! 

If this is a video game, we are still firmly in the middle of the tutorials! 

Just making sure I understand it all. There's going to be a lot of experimentation to see how combat works on a play-by-post. We will have to see who rolls what, etc, so that things don't end up being ridiculously strung out. I will be calling on your help as we get closer! 

If this is a video game, we are still firmly in the middle of the tutorials! 

I am sure we shall be at your disposal good sir. :)

It's a good read tutorial at least! In reflection of a post made earlier in the thread this I think will be the bulk of where the roleplaying will be - my contention with Deathwatch over Dark Heresy is by the time we have boots on the ground, all the investigation (or most of it) is done with and all that remains is the Purge.

MR.

I found the following post on the FFG forums for the known sources of Oaths across Deathwatch books:

1. DW-01: Deathwatch Core Rulebook (obviously)

2. DW-04: Rites of Battle (specifically, under the Advanced Speciality: Deathwatch Chaplain)

3. DW-07: First Founding

4. DW-08: The Jericho Reach

5. DW-12: Honour the Chapter

6. DW-13: the Outer Reach

7. DW-15: the Emperor's Chosen

Of these books, I do not have Jericho Reach, Outer Reach or Emperor's Chosen.

The books that I do have access to, however, contain the following Oaths skipping the Chaplain and Wolf Priest specific Oaths:

Pg. 228 Core:

• Oath of the Astartes (Tactical, Assault, Devastator): +2 Cohesion for the duration of the battle; Squad Advance, Bolter Assault and Tactical Spacing SQMA (Squad Mode Abilities)

Pg. 229 Core:

• Oath to the Emperor (Tactical, Librarian, Apothecary): All marines gain +10 to WP tests for the duration of the Mission; Fire for Effect, Regroup and Strongpoint SQMA
  • Oath of Glory (Tactical, Assault): +1 Renown per primary and secondary objectives that are completed if personally involved; Squad Advance, Bolter Assault and Furious Charge SQMA
  • Oath of Knowledge (Librarian, Apothecary): Choose 1 kind of foe, The squad gains +10 WS/BS for the duration of the mission vs this kind of foe (Ork, Nid, Eldar); Go to ground, Dig In, Strongpoint SQMA - also has additional Librarian stuff but we don't have one of those.
  • Oath of Loyalty (Tactical or Apothecary): +1 Cohesion, Leader adds +10 to tests to resist cohesion damage; Tactical Spacing, Regroup and Soak Fire SQMA

Pg. 230 Core:

• Oath of the Weapon (Techmarine, Devastator): Ignore Jams with personal weapons and reroll weapon skill tests to confirm Righteous Fury (Only really applies to Non-Xenos due to Deathwatch Training) with Melee Weapons; Fire Support, Fire for Effect and Tank Buster SQMA

Pg. 45 First Founding:

• Oath of Hope (Blood Angels): +20 to resist Fear and Pinning including all other servants of the Imperium within 100m; Bolter Assault, Squad Advance, Furious Charge SQMA

Pg. 53 First Founding:

• Oath of Vengeance (Dark Angels): +1 Cohesion when any member passes a test to resist cohesion damage by 2+ DoS; Strongpoint, Fire Support and Dig In SQMA

Pg. 56 First Founding:

• Masters of the Craft (Non-Apothecary/Techmarine Imperial Fists): +20 Tactics (Assault Doctrine, Defense Doctrine) tests; Furious Charge, Squad Advance, Dig In, Strongpoint

Pg. 66 First Founding:

• Oath to the Wolf-King (Space Wolves): Reduce cost of Squad Attack Patterns by 1 Cohesion to a minimum of 1; Bolter Assault, Fire for Effect, Furious Charge SQMA

Pg. 74 First Founding:

• Oath of Duty (Ultramarines): Grants 4 Squad Mode Abilities instead of 3; Fire for Effect, Squad Advance, Regroup, Tactical Spacing SQMA

Pg. 16 Honour The Chapter:

• Oath of the Endless Crusade (Black Templar): All Squad members gain the Brutal Charge Trait and +1 Renown point per Primary/Secondary Objective completed that required the enemy to be assaulted and exterminated; Brutal Assault, Furious Charge and Regroup SQMA

Pg. 25 Honour The Chapter: 

• Oath of the Final Duel (Storm Wardens): +10 WS when engaged in single combat; Furious Charge, Soak Fire and Tank Hunter SQMA

These are more or less all of the Oaths that I could find.

Edited by Slips

Top stuff Slips - if I may, I would propose these for the Roleplaying aspect?  These are only relevant to Core though - others will need different ones:

Oath of The Astartes:

"We shall be pure of heart and strong of body,

Untainted by doubt and selfishness.

We are the bright stars in battle, Angels of Death who bring annihilation to the foes of Man.

So it shall be for a thousand times a thousand years,

Yes, unto the very end of eternity and the extinction of mortal flesh.

We are the Emperor's chosen sons - and we shall know no fear!"

Oath to The Emperor:

"We look to the Emperor at the hour of battle.

We trust to him to intercede and protect his warriors true,

Even as they deal death on alien soil.

Turn their seas to red with the blood of their slain.

Crush their hopes, their dreams

And turn their songs into cries of lamentation,

We go forth in your name, Master of Mankind!"

Oath of Glory:

"O Emperor, in wrath rejoicing, at bloody wars fierce and untamed,

Be pleased with this war's tumultuous roar - let it echo through the Ages,
With our swords and fists red with alien blood and the harrowing of the Slain,

Clothe us in Victory upon Victory,

Lay upon us a reflection of your power,

We will write our names in History,

Our enemies fear us - for we are the Emperor's wrath!"

Oath of Knowledge:

"By writ from Codex and from Faith.

Knowledge is Power, we guard it well,

It leads us to know the enemy Beyond,

the enemy Within, the enemy Without.

It will lead us from despair to hope,

from Death to Victory, in the Emperor's name!"

Oath of Loyalty:

"One indomitable heart, Brothers all.

Endless war, ceaseless struggle,

We shall bear its weight together.

Those who stand before us light the world in flames,

Our vengeance burns brighter still.

Every faithless soul shall kneel.

Every last traitor shall fall.

Forged like iron in the fires of death, Brothers all."

Oath of the Weapon:

"Forged in Blood and tempered in battle,

We are the living weapons of Humanity.

With the Chainsword purge the Corrupt,

With the Bolter cleanse the Unclean,

With the Missile kill the impure!

In the Emperor's name, none shall survive!"

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

...I fell asleep with my computer on my lap. I'll throw some cold water onto my face and get this thing finished.

As long as you didn't fall asleep with backspace held down and no recently saved version :p

Also if you are going for Squad Lead, take a look at the Oaths youll have to choose from.

Good post, and sets it up nicely for Dosjetka. Vaidan has the tacit approval of the majority of the assembled Kill-Team... Akkad and Atratus haven't made their feelings explicit, whilst Tyber, Thorvald and Greysight have spoken in favour. Solastion and Sabaan are waiting and Vârvost is ultimately apathetic but will be critical regardless. Edited by Commissar Molotov

Well, as you said the comparisons to Khornate warriors (if any of your characters have faced them) are stark - but I hope that Varvost is a little more than a caricature! I explained to Nineswords that I see him as Lijah Cuu in power armour... or at least that was my starting point. 

Think of it as Tyber looking for a reason to hate and not trust Varvost... as well as using the stories of the Warhounds he has heard passed down the ages with in his chapter. It's also why I chose the phrasing "...before the Red Angel took command of his sons."

So they were still butchers in power armour, but not total frothing at the mouths psycho killers that they became after Angron took over.:wink: