[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

Recoil Suppression does the following:  Provides the ability to fire Basic weapons one-handed. Ranged weapons not classed as Pistols still may not be used in Close Combat.

Whilst the Suspensor does: When firing a weapon with suspensors, the operator counts as having the Auto-stabilised Trait—meaning he always counts as braced and may fire the weapon on semi or full-automatic as a Half Action and never suffers penalties for moving and firing.

So, yes, he actually would want one if given access since it lets him do more things per combat round.

I don't meet the Renown threshold for Suspensors unfortunately...:sad.:

I am unsure how to proceed.  Cadence will just chew her way though anything so begging 10 Req from somebody to give me a backpack full of Kraken/Metal Storm may be overkill.

Alternatively, I could maglock an Astartes Assault Shotgun (Rites of Battle - 7 Req) and Slugs (Rites of Battle 4 Req) to my backpack, leaving me with...9 Req.

Am open to suggestions.

Mol, how are you going to handle ammunition/reloads for mag fed weapons?  X amount of reloads per weapon?

MR.

Whooosie.

Upon checking the Rulebook, it does seem I am indeed NOT getting an Omnissian Axe up front ( unlike the Explorator Magos or the Warpsmith

:(

In which case I should indeed be taking a Combitool (15Req). And probably give my 5 remaining req up for graps.

Though the Recoil Baffling seems nice also.

It also looks like Sabaan will be needing some form of close combat weapon.

Leftover Req is never a bad thing since it lets you pool it up with any remaining req others have to see if we can't grab anything else that we might need.

Alternatively, if Mol Allows it, you could try to get an Underslung Heavy Flamer for Cadence to have, what amounts to, an Infernus Heavy Bolter. But you might have to discuss this with him on how the Req for such a thing would be since I doubt the standard 15 of a Heavy Flamer would be sufficient since you'd basically be carrying a Combi Weapon.

Other items worth looking into:

• Astartes Combat Webbing (RoB pg144) for 3 req, this gives your marine a LOT of stuff.
  • The previously mentioned Siege Auspex is found on page 146 of RoB; 13 req.
  • Melta Bombs are 12 req. each. - however, since we have nobody trained in demolitions, that I know of, not really a good idea...
  • Normal Auspex are 12 rep in Core pg. 174
  • Stummer: if we have anyone who is going to sneak/scout around for us, this might be a VERY useful little item to have.
  • In the same vein: Cameleoline Cloak, RoB pg 145, 20 req.
  • Suppression Stabilizer, 10 req, pg 103 FF - Additionally, First Founding has quite a few items that don't require any renown to get that might be worth looking into for a few here; such as the Power Lance for any White Scars (and their successors possibly) or Promethean's Blessing for any Salamanders (or their successors).

Whooosie.
Upon checking the Rulebook, it does seem I am indeed NOT getting an Omnissian Axe up front ( unlike the Explorator Magos or the Warpsmith

:sad.:

In which case I should indeed be taking a Combitool (15Req). And probably give my 5 remaining req up for graps.
Though the Recoil Baffling seems nice also.

It also looks like Sabaan will be needing some form of close combat weapon.

Look in First Founding for the Omni-Tool you will need 5 req from somewhere though; also, your Servo-Arm is a deadly CCW, you can either attack with it normally or make an extra additional attack with is using your reaction.

Mol, how are you going to handle ammunition/reloads for mag fed weapons?  X amount of reloads per weapon?

MR.

I overlooked the requisition costs for suspensors, didn't realise. 

In the Errata it does say this: 

jZR0M2q.png

Whilst I can appreciate that tracking individual reloads would be appropriate for a more survival horror-esque game (or one where the Deathwatch are completely cut off and making every bullet count) for the beginning, I'm happy for standard ammunition to be unlimited and for the special ammunition to be tracked.

The Omnitool is quite nice indeed, if anyone has the five req to spare. It is, however, not an Iron Hands way to beg. ;)

I also support not to have to worry about regular ammo. Fire it up!

And I reaally would prefer an additional close combat thingy beyond my oversized bottle opener ... unless there is a combibolter involved ( which is way outside our league at the moment).

The Omnitool is quite nice indeed, if anyone has the five req to spare. It is, however, not an Iron Hands way to beg. :wink:

I also support not to have to worry about regular ammo. Fire it up!

And I reaally would prefer an additional close combat thingy beyond my oversized bottle opener ... unless there is a combibolter involved ( which is way outside our league at the moment).

I could honestly forego my 5 req bolter if it helps peeps do their thing better. Between 2 Devastators and 2 Tactical Marines, I think we'll be fine with long-medium ranged shooting :tongue.:

As for CCW, I mean, we all got our Knives*...

*knife being relative to Astartes.

Edited by Slips

Thanks for all that Slips, very helpful!  Are you sure you're not a Techmarine...?

jZR0M2q.png

Whilst I can appreciate that tracking individual reloads would be appropriate for a more survival horror-esque game (or one where the Deathwatch are completely cut off and making every bullet count) for the beginning, I'm happy for standard ammunition to be unlimited and for the special ammunition to be tracked.

It makes sense to do that with such a large group otherwise logistics get crazy.  Unfortunately for my group of PC's I am very particular about how much ammunition they carry since I have knowledge in the firearms and armed forces areas.

I think for Watch Station Azurea, a Siege Auspex would be too special an item to just hand over to rookies.  Since I can't move and shoot, I need to be able to do other stuff, so here's the plan:

1 x Astartes Combat Webbing, (Rites of Battle, to hold said pistol, issue knife, extra mags for pistol, special mags for pistol and 4 x Krak Grenades, 3 Req)

1 x Auspex, (Core, To detect things hiding from Cadence and to destroy them by the Emperor's will, 12 Req)

Total, 15 Req. with 5 going to Xin.

To be fair, I don't want to cheap out on having a Heavy Bolter and running a marathon at the same time, I/we as a team must work around that - especially now we have a second Dev.

Thoughts? (This is really challenging as I have never been a Player in this position before and it's like picking sweets...!)

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I DID play an Imperial Fists Techmarine in my first FFG Deathwatch game...

As for my own Req. I'll be dropping the 5 I spent on the bolter and putting it up for grabs for the rest of the Kill-Team, if the enemy gets close enough, Solastions Chainsword does 1d10+16 Damage thanks to his +13 SB from good dice rolls and being a marine :p

As for my own Req. I'll be dropping the 5 I spent on the bolter and putting it up for grabs for the rest of the Kill-Team, if the enemy gets close enough, Solastions Chainsword does 1d10+16 Damage thanks to his +13 SB from good dice rolls and being a marine :tongue.:

Good grief - you'd do more damage throwing the bloody Boltgun - and we don't have the Req for that! :biggrin.:

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

As for my own Req. I'll be dropping the 5 I spent on the bolter and putting it up for grabs for the rest of the Kill-Team, if the enemy gets close enough, Solastions Chainsword does 1d10+16 Damage thanks to his +13 SB from good dice rolls and being a marine :tongue.:

Good grief - you'd do more damage throwing the bloody Boltgun - and we don't have the Req for that! :biggrin.:

MR.

Almost.... though I think the higher pen on the bolt shells might give the advantage over him throwing it.... I mean then it'd have pen 0...

First of all, I'd like to quickly deal with my lack of XP spending. Mol, I'd like to spend my 1000 XP on the following Deeds and Skills:

• Second-in-Command (Deed, RoB, p.82) - 400 XP (Vaidan, not having yet ascended to the rank of Sergeant in his Chapter, should not have the Iron Skull that is given with this Deed);
  • Rapid Reload (Talent, DW Tac Marine Adv in Core, p.85) - 200 XP;
  • Characteristic Advance: Fellowship, Simple (DW Tac Marine Char Adv in Core, p.85) - 200 XP;
  • Lore: Common (Astartes, Imperium) +10 (Skill, HtC, p.79) - 100 XP
  • Lore: Common (Astartes, Imperium) +20 (Skill, HtC, p.79) - 100 XP

TOTAL - 1000 XP

Alternatively if you don't want me to take those last two skill improvements, I'll take the Characteristic Advance: Willpower, Basic for 200 XP.

Now I'll deal with Requisition. Steel Company allowed me to use his 20 so I've got a total of 40 Req points. Here's how I'd like to spend them:

• Photon flash grenades (Core, p.150; 5 Req)
  • Leaper/hopper mines (RoB, p.136+147; 5 Req)
  • Hellfire rounds (Core, p.159; 25 Req 1 clip FREE :biggrin.:)
  • Astartes combat webbing (RoB, p.144; 3 Req)
  • Astartes flamer (Core, p.145; 10 Req)

TOTAL - 23 Req

That's 17 Req left. Vârvost needs 2 and the leftover 15 can be used by whoever needs 'em. :tu:

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka

Hi all,

These shareable links do not allow you to edit, but you can see each others' character sheets. I would like to draw your attention to Solastion's character sheet, where Slips has put some effort into improving the template that I provided you with.

You should all have your own links that give you editing permissions over your own sheets, but these can be edited into the Character Thread.

Atratus: LINK

Daon Akkad: LINK

Greysight: LINK

Khyber Vaidan: LINK

Tyber: LINK

Solastion Albikus: LINK

Nycax Sabaan: LINK

Varvost: LINK

Thorvald: LINK

Varvost will take 2x Metal Storm Rounds for his Bolt Pistol for 15. He will take Combat Webbing for 3 and I'm seriously considering an Astartes Assault Shotgun for 7 - though that would require an additional 2 (how handy, Dos!)

As previously mentioned, Thorvald will take a Frag Cannon for 20 - and that's it.

Hi all,

These shareable links do not allow you to edit, but you can see each others' character sheets. I would like to draw your attention to Solastion's character sheet, where Slips has put some effort into improving the template that I provided you with.

I regret that I lack the correct incantations and sacred unguents to improve upon an STC in this manner :happy.:

I have -10 to Tech Use in MS Paint as the height of my technological power.

MR.

First of all, I'd like to quickly deal with my lack of XP spending. Mol, I'd like to spend my 1000 XP on the following Deeds and Skills:

• Second-in-Command (Deed, RoB, p.82) - 400 XP (Vaidan, not having yet ascended to the rank of Sergeant in his Chapter, should not have the Iron Skull that is given with this Deed);
  • Rapid Reload (Talent, DW Tac Marine Adv in Core, p.85) - 200 XP;
  • Characteristic Advance: Fellowship, Simple (DW Tac Marine Char Adv in Core, p.85) - 200 XP;
  • Lore: Common (Astartes, Imperium) +10 (Skill, HtC, p.79) - 100 XP
  • Lore: Common (Astartes, Imperium) +20 (Skill, HtC, p.79) - 100 XP
TOTAL - 1000 XP

Alternatively if you don't want me to take those last two skill improvements, I'll take the Characteristic Advance: Willpower, Basic for 200 XP.

Now I'll deal with Requisition. Steel Company allowed me to use his 20 so I've got a total of 40 Req points. Here's how I'd like to spend them:

• Photon flash grenades (Core, p.150; 5 Req)
  • Hellfire rounds (Core, p.159; 25 Req)
  • Kraken rounds (Core, p.159, 5 Req)
  • Astartes combat webbing (RoB, p.144; Req 3)
TOTAL - 38 Req

Whoever wants to use the remaining 2 Req can do so freely (except Vârvost :P).

Remember that as part of being a tactical marine you get one clip of SIA totally Req. Free so long as you meet the renown requirements!

I know the old joke about combat supply being short of everything but the enemy, but...

Astartes have to bling in Req for a bloody combat webbing with what is basically a handful of grenades, a first kit, basic field gear and a space to store a weapon? Really? I mean Req 3 is not a lot of points, but it still feels..strange. I can easily get my head around not every battlebrother going out with a Bolter in a Paired powerfists and a missile launcher across the back...but a frigging webbing... If I do not get a webbing or equivalent, do I duct tape the stuff to my armour. It is good thing I have the servo arm, so I can carry a knife ( which apparently doesn't come with a sheath) AND still have my hands free....

Glad I am not playing an Apothecary. Having to requesting a couple of bandages and some plasma bag equivalent every other mission would feel to much like work...

I have not played Total War, but I shudder to think what a player group of poor guardsmen would have to shell out for a chimera. They probably have to requisition a basic torch and get shot by their commissar if they loose it during the mission!

Ranting aside, I am happily taking the Omnitool if there is five req to spare.

Otherwise, I am going for the Combitool (20) and the IH recoil baffling (5 req). So I can walk in while Burst firing until rip the head of the bloody xenos scum with my servo arm.

Of course, being an Iron Hand, Sabaan will just hate the organic weaklings to death. ;)

I know the old joke about combat supply being short of everything but the enemy, but...

Astartes have to bling in Req for a bloody combat webbing with what is basically a handful of grenades, a first kit, basic field gear and a space to store a weapon? Really? I mean Req 3 is not a lot of points, but it still feels..strange. I can easily get my head around not every battlebrother going out with a Bolter in a Paired powerfists and a missile launcher across the back...but a frigging webbing... If I do not get a webbing or equivalent, do I duct tape the stuff to my armour. It is good thing I have the servo arm, so I can carry a knife ( which apparently doesn't come with a sheath) AND still have my hands free....

Glad I am not playing an Apothecary. Having to requesting a couple of bandages and some plasma bag equivalent every other mission would feel to much like work...

I have not played Total War, but I shudder to think what a player group of poor guardsmen would have to shell out for a chimera. They probably have to requisition a basic torch and get shot by their commissar if they loose it during the mission!

This is no comment to Mol or anyone else - but I give my players Combat Webbing as standard gear - although that is because they have to Req extra magazines, but I handle Req differently as well.

I have to also say that whilst I agree with you, this made me laugh - been a rough old day and I needed that.  Thank you Brother.  In trade I will supply you with 5 Req if nothing else but to prevent Sabaan bursting a conduit. :happy.:  I withdraw my 2 x magazines of Hush ammunition.  My Armour has Cower Not Before the Enemy anyway!

Dos - your Kraken rounds are wrong - they actually cost 15 Req as per the FAQ.  Better take 'em as your free mag.

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I was debating the combat webbing paerly because all the new plastics show Deathwatch with it on their chests. I will consider it and get back to you. I was open with you all from the start about this being an experiment for me too.

On that note, is the consensus to use the errata stats for weaponry?