[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

I was thinking, at the very least:

Top:

• Atratus: so that there are 3 'Nid Warriors he can snipe with his Toxic + Felling Sniper rifle (though Nids reduce toxic, dont they?)
  • Akkad: also to help deal with the extra nid warrior and clear out the chaff; remember, weapons with the Explosive damage type also deals an extra hit per shot (iirc) vs Hordes. So that 6 shot heavy bolter can possibly hit a horde 12 times per round. Unless I'm wrong. I might be.

Bottom:

• Thorvald: his heavy is a bit shorter ranged but packs one hell of a punch per-shot. It also has a spread/shotgun profile which will help vs the nid horde.

Otherwise, we'll also want to split our AssaultBois just as equally so that our ShootyBois dont get tied up into melee ASAP.

Of those left, we have:

• Vaidan: I dont remember his gear or what he does since he wasnt in combat with us for training. :P
  • Varvost: Has a Jump Pack; assaultyboi
  • Solastion: He can heal. Also punches ok. Slowboi.
  • Tyber: Has a Jump Pack; assaultyboi
  • Sabaan: He has a pinchy-claw of doom.
  • Greysight: Shootyboi.

Khyber has:

• bolt pistol
  • combat knife
  • frag & krak grenades
  • boltgun (Godwyn)
  • flamer
  • photon flash grenade
  • leaper/hopper mine
  • a bucket full of badassitude :cool.:

I think he should join the bottom lane with Thorvald as they both have short range guns.

In any case, I think Dimitar would very much appreciate we help out his men, might even owe us a favour later on down the line so let's not use them as cannon fodder. That said, does anyone else have a high Fel or is it just Vaidan? It may be crucial to help them get their act together.

Just realised that the easiest way to vanquish these hordes is to evacuate the corridors, seal the doors (Sabaan and two others to protect him), and vent the corridors... but that would then deny Mol his game mechanism tests so let's not do that. :P

Which assumes that Imperial Navy vessels have the capacity to vent specific corridors at will - and also that these are the only Tyranid invaders on the ship... (and that Tyranids need oxygen to breathe... and that the entire crew of the vessel is disposable...) 

Edited by Commissar Molotov

I have same Fel as Steel: 48.  However I do also have Common Lore: Astra Militarum and Tactics: Void Warfare.  Whilst not strictly Navy, I know how to defend against boarders and can possibly speak to the Commissar on some kind of positive footing.

I can get up to 8 shots on a horde - HB 6 + 1 (Explosive) + 1 (Squad Mode)

My Defensive Squad Mode can make myself and all those in Support Range (30m) and within a piece of cover I nominate, totally immune to Fear.

Strongpoint, whilst losing an extra shot from not using my own Mode, will be absolutely lethal here.

Remember that Hordes and creatures larger then human sized give a bonus to hit based on their own size as well.  Bear in mind, those with Bolt Pistols, you will be at -10 to hit anything at 61+ metres.  Boltguns, Sniper rifles and Cadence will have no problem in this situation.

@ Mol: Might be being stupid again - are we entering stage left, or do we deploy virtually anywhere and consider being "set-up"?  Basically I want to know if I'll be losing a turn of shooting. :wink:

MR.

I will allow you all to be set up in the first two rows (first 10 metres) of the left side. You don't "come on" as such. I will write a narrative post dealing with your entry into the corridor and then enter structured time with the roll for initiative and turn 1.

It'll take 5 turns of running (approx) for the footsloggers to reach the barricade with the armsmen or the entrance to the second corridor via the middle section.

Nothing in the main book about nids and toxins (other than that they can have the rule on their own weapons) - though the sniper rifles main source of damage is from extra DoS and the warriors being large just helps that.

Atratus can sit as far back as 125m and still get the +10 for short range, and close up with the jump pack and burst of speed as needed. Probably best that he stay in squad mode range with the heavy bolter for maximum shootyness.

Nothing in the main book about nids and toxins (other than that they can have the rule on their own weapons) - though the sniper rifles main source of damage is from extra DoS and the warriors being large just helps that.

Atratus can sit as far back as 125m and still get the +10 for short range, and close up with the jump pack and burst of speed as needed. Probably best that he stay in squad mode range with the heavy bolter for maximum shootyness.

I was going to suggest that myself :smile.:

Deliberate Action Plan:

• Atratus and Akkad sit at the back on the lower of the two avenues, maybe with Sabaan as close support.  Were in good range there and the horde cannot really make use of cover.  Avoiding jams, that place is a slaughterhouse, those filth armed with Deathspitters or not. We have grenades for close suppression.
  • Everyone else goes top.
  • Vaidan, Thorvald, Greysight and anyone armed with pistols can Semi-Auto and move up to their agility bonus, applying fire with size bonuses to give accuracy.
  • The Armsmen are equipped with weapons that will allow Standard Attack or Semi depending on Mol, or they can just run back towards the upper avenue group.
  • The Assault Marines - if you want to save the Armsmen, can leap over or around them to intervene and provide effective fire with Bolt Pistols, which will score two hits on a successful hit: The first from the attack, the second from being explosive - altenatively, they may deploy Frag Grenades for maximum destruction/disruption.
  • The Assault Marines do not charge into combat but cover the fall-back.  During this time, Greysight deploys mines at effective distance from a defensive position manned by other Bolter-armed chaps, covered by the Armsmen and our Fast Attack.
  • Once the Armsmen reach our lines of defence, the Fast movers get behind the Boltguns and the whole avenue becomes a Kill-house.  At close range (and they *WILL* be at close range) that Frag Cannon and Flamer is going to go to town - but be aware that Hordes cannot be set on fire!
  • Should the upper or lower group clear their lanes of fire, they can then close the trap by providing crossfire from the junction.
  • No doors are closed - max firepower applied at all times at range will shred the enemy quickly and hopefully with few casualties - beware Hormagaunt speed - do not dally
  • Solastion deploys as he sees fit, although I would recommend he goes with Atratus/Akkad/Sabaan as we are not going to be moving much and may have to deal with Toxic shenanigans.

Immediate Action Plan:

The main thrusts of the DAP above are followed with the exceptions below:

• We deploy Akkad, Atratus, Solastion and Sabaan into the top corridor as opposed to the lower,
  • The top group opens fire immediately, without waiting for the Armsmen to clear, blazing down friend and foe alike
  • Fast Attack moves at all speed to harry the enemy with Pistols and grenades from cover provided in the lower avenue before falling back to be covered by Bolters.

In all circumstances, watch your lines of fire, remember you can duck or go prone etc.

Going to be interesting to see if Akkad and any Human-friendly Astartes bump heads here as if the mission is to protet the Voice and get deployed, a few armsmen are expendable...Akkad is still an Astral Claw...

Thoughts?

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Atratus and Akkad sit at the back on the lower of the two avenues, maybe with Sabaan as close support.  Were in good range there and the horde cannot really make use of cover.  Avoiding jams, that place is a slaughterhouse, those filth armed with Deathspitters or not. We have grenades for close suppression.

Could possibly do with a third to hold the line. With nid hordes being fearless around synapse a few might slip through to tie up the ranged weapons allowing more to follow.

Could possibly do with a third to hold the line. With nid hordes being fearless around synapse a few might slip through to tie up the ranged weapons allowing more to follow.

Exactly my thinking.  As a bonus, the third dude could attempt to enter Squad Mode and then you or I can just join in, not missing the opportunity to open up by potentially failing a cohesion challenge...

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

MR, pretty close on the Horde damage numbers, just off by a few...

RoF 6

Explosive 6

Possible extra horde damage from class trait.

That is counting on you getting 6 hits. But you are looking at +30 just from the horde size alone, combine that with automatic fire (+20), short range (+10) and strong point (+20) you are looking at a possible +80 to hit....

I how ever might be having to make some willpower rolls, if those Warriors are master level foes...

Also remember everyone, you cannot dodge or parry attacks from hordes.

Edited by Steel Company

The Servo Arm aside, the IH are pretty focused on ranged combat. But the Chapter Tactic/ squad mode also lets you advance / move in addition to taking a full action as long as it's towards the enemy. Makes sense to deploy with the big guns then.

MR, pretty close on the Horde damage numbers, just off by a few...

RoF 6

Explosive 6

Possible extra horde damage from class trait.

Explosive 6?

I am definitely not understanding something then - 

I have RoF 6, +1 RoF from Chapter Specific Attack Pattern (Imperial Fists, RoB) = 7 Potential depending on DoS, plus:

The attack has the Explosive trait, so generates one extra hit against a Horde, so it's an additional Auto Hit, total 8.

AFAIK I only get the one extra hit from Explosive (as per Errata) due to application per "Attack" not per Hit.

Then my Magnitude Damage +1D5 from Unrelenting Devastation.

Is that not correct? :huh.:

MR.